Version 1.0 (Alpha 22) Dev Diary

5 hours ago, faatal said:

We use a professional localization company, but we also have a full time tester who is Japanese, so those get more immediate fixes.

I am not come here for a full-time job, but I still want to say that your localisation team may need check the localisation texts very carefully.

There is a very example that Simplified Chinese localisation of Commando Suites is translated to two different names. When you see the bonus text of it the commando is translated to “突击队员(Commando)”, but it also translated to “指挥官(Commander)” other times like names of clothes.

Another example is T3 and T4 Rifles have the totally same localisation name since A21 at least.

I have checked localisation issues of other companies' games, and wrote reports to game company or made full localisation myself as mod. I do not really know about their how their translation teams working on it but it seems that they all don't play games (or do not in-game check).

57 minutes ago, vergilsparda said:

honestly having the "sleep walkers" ( heard GNS use the term ) is so cool in general. its pretty cool how TFP managed to get them in the game. just wish there were more. makes POIs scarier imo... but I think you should be able to hear them shuffling around better. these new silent zombies sneaking up on me during raids feels unfair, especially when they walk over sound traps without kicking the trash like we do!

Haven't you heard? Zombies are stealth masters. 😁

1 hour ago, vergilsparda said:

honestly having the "sleep walkers" ( heard GNS use the term ) is so cool in general. its pretty cool how TFP managed to get them in the game. just wish there were more. makes POIs scarier imo... but I think you should be able to hear them shuffling around better. these new silent zombies sneaking up on me during raids feels unfair, especially when they walk over sound traps without kicking the trash like we do!

We made some AI sound improvements last week. One of them was to play their random sounds twice as often. Another was their alert sound is deferred until closer if they are far away.

On 7/13/2024 at 10:12 AM, falloutcloud said:

I have spent quite a bit of time with the experimental 1.0 patch, and I wanted to add some of my feedback. Please let me know what you think.

• Day 7 horde is pretty much going always to be done primarily with melee. With the increase in HP, zombies all night, and reduced ammo rewards it would take a very experienced player to manage a horde base that wasn't melee-focused. I believe there could be more balancing done here. 

Day 49, 64  zeds on horde night and our base is only firearms.  We are swimming in ammo.  Infested quests have our coffers FULL

Edited by Exxodous (see edit history)

48 minutes ago, faatal said:

We made some AI sound improvements last week. One of them was to play their random sounds twice as often. Another was their alert sound is deferred until closer if they are far away.

Oh, that's very good to hear (literally, lol!). I don't get snuck up on often, but when I do, man does it scare the living hell out of me. Full-on soul touches the clouds of heaven for a second. But it's good to know that that's been improved. The new hazmat sound is really creepy, too, thank the sound person for me, will ya? (and if it was you, thanks!)

I do have one issue with newest hotfix, but I don't think it constitutes a bug report because it's so minor. I play on 4k worlds only, and with default settings (except I set cracks to None because I am not a fan of them), there will always be one biome (it's split equally in chance with all five biomes) with two of the same trader and one biome that has no trader at all. I found this out the hard way, already almost a week into a save with my base set up, that the map I was playing on didn't have a Trader Jen. I finished the first tier of quests, and got the reward, but Rekt had no special job. First time I toggled debug mode to check on something and sure as rain, Jen had gone missing. 😔

And paying more attention in the RWG previewer it was about 8/10 worlds created (more like 35/50, I make a lot of worlds, okay?? no judgement, I'm picky!) that did not have a trader in one biome, but had multiple in others and some very close—I'm talking less than 500m! I don't know what happened between 313 and 316/17 but something may have gone wrong, but it's so minor because there are maps that have all the available traders that it feels more like a my-game issue and not a 'this is a massive bug' issue, yknow? If I need to make a report I will, but yeah!

(also, the top full closed curtain on the rod has the texture of what I think is a stainless steel sink, but again, that's probably a me issue since it isn't anywhere in the known issues spreadsheet)

4 hours ago, faatal said:

Sounds great! Lets see how it works before trying 1 in 5 wandering zombies.

Would it be possible that the AI of the sleeping zombies would make them wake up more often? There are so many cupboards and false ceilings with zombies that stealth players preemptively destroy all the doors with arrows and they never wake up even an inch away, making it predictable and boring.

26 minutes ago, ComPage said:

I loot everything and it is day 5 in the forest and I have yet to see a mechanical part or a wrench.  I could make a wrench if only I had some mechanical parts...

Random is sometimes not my friend.  I have 4 points into archery and on day 20 still only have found 2 bow parts, had to buy any others.  I have no points into vehicles and had the bicycle unlocked long before I got one for completing tier 1 missions.

You may have to buy a wrench, but as soon as you do, you will find a wrench in loot.

40 minutes ago, ComPage said:

I loot everything and it is day 5 in the forest and I have yet to see a mechanical part or a wrench.  I could make a wrench if only I had some mechanical parts...

Search for cars and POIs with "MoPower" sign and any POI dealing with cars in any way. Broken workstations also have a chance for mechanical parts. Last resort is the trader who often has mechanical parts or even a wrench for sale.

Edited by meganoth (see edit history)

12 hours ago, BloodDeacon said:

I think that 1 in 10 sleepers being wandering is a good figure, but 1 in 5 wouldn't be unreasonable.  The stealth game is already rough enough in many POI, so I also can't see above 1 in 5 being great.

I'd like to stick with 1 in 10 for the moment. There's something odd going on with the stealth timer. I'm getting more stealth shots and hits than I think I should be getting, as if I've re-entered stealth immediately, but I'm also seeing more Zs seem to react to a good stealth score. I'm thinking perhaps the Feral sleepers have become more perceptive but also that the wandering zombies might be part of this. Then there's also the bonuses of the Assassin armor that I'm just starting to experience. My play so far is at lower levels of stealth and I'd like to see how it progresses.

30 minutes ago, zztong said:

I'd like to stick with 1 in 10 for the moment. There's something odd going on with the stealth timer. I'm getting more stealth shots and hits than I think I should be getting, as if I've re-entered stealth immediately, but I'm also seeing more Zs seem to react to a good stealth score. I'm thinking perhaps the Feral sleepers have become more perceptive but also that the wandering zombies might be part of this. Then there's also the bonuses of the Assassin armor that I'm just starting to experience. My play so far is at lower levels of stealth and I'd like to see how it progresses.

From what I've seen.  The armor should be nerfed a bit... Just a bit 

Cuz you can basically get 125% stealth so basically your a ghost 

24 minutes ago, Doomofman said:

I thought you couldn't loot Q6 stuff? I just got a Q6 Steel Shovel from a T6 Infested Cache

From my testing I've done I have only found Q6 loot in Tier six quests, which in my opinion is probably the best balanced it could be. Having only ONE item spawn and having it take so much effort to get to that point makes it much more difficult to just farm Q6 loot and better incentivizes the crafting of Q6.

12 hours ago, vergilsparda said:

Oh, that's very good to hear (literally, lol!). I don't get snuck up on often, but when I do, man does it scare the living hell out of me. Full-on soul touches the clouds of heaven for a second. But it's good to know that that's been improved. The new hazmat sound is really creepy, too, thank the sound person for me, will ya? (and if it was you, thanks!)

I do have one issue with newest hotfix, but I don't think it constitutes a bug report because it's so minor. I play on 4k worlds only, and with default settings (except I set cracks to None because I am not a fan of them), there will always be one biome (it's split equally in chance with all five biomes) with two of the same trader and one biome that has no trader at all. I found this out the hard way, already almost a week into a save with my base set up, that the map I was playing on didn't have a Trader Jen. I finished the first tier of quests, and got the reward, but Rekt had no special job. First time I toggled debug mode to check on something and sure as rain, Jen had gone missing. 😔

And paying more attention in the RWG previewer it was about 8/10 worlds created (more like 35/50, I make a lot of worlds, okay?? no judgement, I'm picky!) that did not have a trader in one biome, but had multiple in others and some very close—I'm talking less than 500m! I don't know what happened between 313 and 316/17 but something may have gone wrong, but it's so minor because there are maps that have all the available traders that it feels more like a my-game issue and not a 'this is a massive bug' issue, yknow? If I need to make a report I will, but yeah!

(also, the top full closed curtain on the rod has the texture of what I think is a stainless steel sink, but again, that's probably a me issue since it isn't anywhere in the known issues spreadsheet)

Eric did the hazmat sounds.

It tries to spawn 2 to 4 traders per biome and it would always be the same trader types per biome. Currently there is no guarantee of a trader in a biome. Traders need gateways to spawn. The smaller the world/biome, the less towns, so the less gateways, and the straight gateway conflicts as it does not have space for a trader. Yesterday I reduced the weight bonus on the 3 straights and limited them each to 1 per world, which should help. When we get full biome progression in and/or story it will need some way to force a trader in each biome.

4 hours ago, ComPage said:

Don't forget that you can scrap an engine to 30 mechanical parts. This can help making a workstation and a wrench.

5 minutes ago, Professor-Pip said:

Don't forget that you can scrap an engine to 30 mechanical parts. This can help making a workstation and a wrench.

Excellent tip!  Thank you!

21 hours ago, faatal said:

We use a professional localization company, but we also have a full time tester who is Japanese, so those get more immediate fixes.

I wonder if this professional localization company knows Esperanto.  Minecraft has it and 7Days is much better than Minecraft.

I would love to see 7 Days To Die officially in Esperanto.  (I have been translating it since A19, but I understand that TFP won't accept my work.)

3 hours ago, Doomofman said:

I thought you couldn't loot Q6 stuff? I just got a Q6 Steel Shovel from a T6 Infested Cache

I think you can, but the chance it extremely low.

Is there any planned armor reworks before the release of 1.0, I know that some armor parts are just plain better, and many are redundant to each other making it almost pointless to have them in the game. When it comes to the armor that adds damage, maybe a decreased percentage the more general the damage type. As it stands currently, there's almost no reason to use any other gloves than the preacher ones especially once you can craft Q6 gear. Some more fitting effects based on the armor types, maybe the set bonus for Commando being more of a Chance to conserve ammo on shot. Anything that could encourage the use of a full set of armor as opposed to just mismatching pieces while not degrading individual armor parts. Maybe something like enhanced effects of the individual pieces when combined into their full set, say a 50 percent increase to their single bonus?

Been noticing with 1.0 that Screamers seem to spawn more often, and earlier, and that they don't even need to scream now in order to bring a bunch of their friends to come party at my place. Another thing I've noticed that screamer hordes will come and wreck your stuff if you're not home, whether you're in or even NEAR that chunk or not.