forum software keeps checking my connection

Getting into the forums is a pain in the a.. for now about a week at least.

Clouldflare keeps checking the connection for being secure, sometimes it works for the main page, but after a few clicks it gets stuck in that "just a little moment" page forever.

...or occasionally some "oh this is taking longer than it should, try refreshing the page..." page replaces the other.

Either way it doesn't work, and I'm really not expecting it to "generate" this topic when I click the submit button.

But if it does, is there anything I can do to stop it?

Is anybody else having the same issues?...ah well, if so, good luck on answering me right? 🥴

The team has had to institute some new measures to block spam and DDoS attacks on the server. However I have not seen the kinds of issues you are running into. I would suspect that it could be caused by security software, or some adblocker extension.

It has become significantly better since yesterday, though not completely gone.

I didn't change anything on my side.

Next time it happens I'll post a screenshot of it. It says something about Cloudflare, with some "ray ID" which is being used. Thought it is part of security on the server side.

ive had off and on issues with the cloudflare thing with this site. It mostly "pops up, spins, and then loads the forums". Only a few times has it just stayed on the cloudflare page and not moved forward (that seems to have stopped happening to me recently)

Im on iphone using firefox (no ad blockers/extensions allowed, ugh), and i also have it remember/cache my login (not clearing on every app ahutdown), and i have  a lot of initial page re-loads (the last page i was on, via clicking on a saved link/site icon on the firefox start/home page) not load all the way. Its a white background with a "massive" 7D2D banner (like its desktop sized) and i get like a links list on the left side of the page (forum topics?).

anyway: i always hit "refresh" and it does another cloudflare thing/validation and reloads and works, almost always "recently". A few weeks ago? It was not loading and refreshing as reliably.

Edited by doughphunghus (see edit history)

51 minutes ago, doughphunghus said:

anyway: i always hit "refresh" and it does another cloudflare thing/validation and reloads and works, almost always "recently". A few weeks ago? It was not loading and refreshing as reliably.

That’s exactly the behavior I’m seeing on my iPad using Firefox.

Yeah I stopped using Firefox a while back, it's been having long-withstanding unresolved issues. After some tinkering with the settings, Edge has been great to me. I suppose there is Chrome too, but that is pretty bloated; it seems to work fine with this site, too, though.

Happens for me with edge (Win11), and also with a mobile device (IOS/safari)...and also with a linux laptop, but that cannot really be counted cause it's a very outdated ubuntu with an also outdated firefox. But that one even tells me "your browser is outdated" and then won't load the page, but next time it works fine...sometimes. 🙂

Yesterday I wasn't able to login here at all. Only the initial page (which is the "news and announcements" main page in my case) worked sometimes, but after the next click it hung up with the "check page" in every case.

Maybe I should quit my job at the North Korean Ddos Department after all. 🙃

Firefox works flawlessly in my case. Only when I restart it I have to click on a checkbox once (or in seldom cases twice) that I am human, but that's it. Current firefox on ubuntu, no addons.

Possible explanations for these different experiences:

1) Browser addons

2) Privacy or other settings

3) cloudflares measures are not as simple and may depend on network parameters (like provider, router settings,...), browser ids and many small details.

@meilodaresh: Maybe time to update or reinstall your ubuntu, not only because of this forum (and stay with LTS versions if you haven't done already)

Edited by meganoth (see edit history)

5 hours ago, meganoth said:

Possible explanations for these different experiences:

1) Browser addons

2) Privacy or other settings

3) cloudflares measures are not as simple and may depend on network parameters (like provider, router settings,...), browser ids and many small details.

Just for info:

1. I dont think its add ons (for me/root cause), as firefox on iPhone disallows add ons (or i have none installed, but i think they killed add on ability on iPhone in some recent update and i lost my ad blocker)

2. same as #1 on iphone: you cant get into the browser settings (the about:config ones) on iphone, there are some basic setting they allow you to get in (via iphone "configuration -> firefox") but its limited... BUT i think i have it cache clear some things on restart, BUT i usually leave the browser "open" and do not close the app, and it happens. Not being able to get into about:config angers me more than i ever thought possible as i cannot configue it to stop videos from autoplaying as  i did a fair amount of reading to find out Firefox on iOS is cut down a lot and no "sane" workarounds for it other than not using firefox.

3. This could be very likely

possible 4th option: i visit the site so frequently on my phone it looks like a dos attack, and they flagged me :)

5. Tying into #2: maybe mobile browsers on iphone are cut down in capability/features than OS or non iphone, and its more of an "apple/iOS" affecting issue, which could tie into #3 (browser id or certain browser info or behaviour not being there, etc)

Although most of these are unlikely on a phone, here are a couple other possibilities for getting the cloudflare all the time instead of once per session.

1) Most sites that track if they have shown you something so it is only shown once per session do so with cookies.  If you are blocking cookies or have software that auto deletes them, this could potentially cause you to keep being checked.  I haven't tested this too see if that would cause the issue with cloudflare, but it seems likely.

2) If you are using any kind of anonymity software to mask out change your IP, this could be the cause as well.  If your IP changes within a session, it could trigger a new check.  Or, if your IP is known to be a fake one used by such software, cloudflare may check every time just to be sure you aren't causing trouble.

3) A third possible cause could be that you are located in an area (based on IP) with a high percentage of hackers, DDOS attacks, etc. and cloudflare is checking every time to be sure you aren't a problem.

4) If you use a VPN, it is also possible that cloudflare could be keeping a closer eye on you.

Or, 5... They know exactly how much trouble you are on this site and are targeting you on purpose.  😁

Edited by Riamus (see edit history)

Been having this for myself; Ubuntu LTS, up-to-date Firefox, running uBlock Origin and a Privacy Badger. So, as meganoth runs similar without the blockers, it seems it should be those.. I would test if it was a 100% repro and thus easy to confirm, but since it isn't, meh; I'll live :)

The only annoying thing I have had is having to post my message, then go back into it to edit the format or post images (for example

<!-- This code requires to be edited in after to show as the correct format -->

Edited by BFT2020
adding code format (see edit history)

For what it's worth, I disabled my ad blocker for this site today - didn't seem to help, still getting the single tickbox captcha.

On 1/17/2024 at 10:19 AM, FramFramson said:

The one that kills me is when I open a thread, scroll down to read it, then type a reply and get the cloudflare check delaying my reply to the thread I'm literally already in.

I've lost a couple replies to that, sometimes it just doesn't even post after the check. Which is why even this reply is now in a notepad waiting as a backup. Well, more like - now!

10 hours ago, FramFramson said:

Actually it's changed for me today. I'm not seeing the cloudflare protection notice, instead loading or posting anything at all on the forum is soooooooooo slllllloooooooooooooooowwwwww.

It’s both for me. 🙄