Pimps. Please. You got to do something about that godawful birdsong ambience in the forest biome.

geengaween

The same 6 second loop of generic birds going CHEEP CHEEP CHEEP CHEEPCHEEPCHEEPCHEEPCHEEP plays non-stop, no matter what, even when the weather is dark and stormy. It's like a drill boring into my skull. And there's no option to turn it off without turning EVERYTHING off including all the wind and rain sounds. I've even tried to mod it out myself but those sound files are packed so tight that replacing them with something less annoying is far beyond my abilities. Where are they? Nobody's ever seen these birds that are everywhere and nowhere at the same time. Maybe they are really huge speakers disguised as trees designed to drive survivors crazy. I can't spend any more time in the forest biome because I might stab out my own eardrums.

Please Pimps. You're cool guys. Be reasonable. It's been like 10 years. Please. I'm begging you. Mute the fake birds with something more appropriate to a post-apocalyptic hellscape. Or make the ambient sound files easier to mod.

I agree, I don't use the dynamic music because of those drums. You can actually replace the dynamic music files a lot easier than the ambient sound files, the path is Steam\steamapps\common\7 Days To Die\Data\Music

Just find the .wav files that you don't like and replace them with .wav files of the same length with more appropriate music and it should work. I'm not sure if you could turn that into a modlet that sits in /mods but as far as I can see it's fairly easy just to straight up replace the files

I have never been bothered by the forest sounds. I suppose if you are sitting their focused on it, that is one thing, but the second you are moving and actively doing anything the background noises and buried up your activity noises. I put this in the category of people that complain about shadows not moving smoothly. Why are you staring at shadows? If you are moving this never is noticed.

"Nobody" is a strong word; I don't hate it. You're free to of course ;)

But it might well be that I've toned the ambient sounds way down.. I do remember hearing winds and such, and some birds every now and then, so they're not completely off, but for the most part they don't register for me at all.

And I am one the people who can get annoyed by an IRL bird chirping repetitively while I'm trying to sleep... wtb a shotgun! ok, no, the neighbour might not enjoy that.. :)

7 hours ago, warmer said:

I have never been bothered by the forest sounds.

Me either, but I have been on the phone to my parents and they have commented along the lines of "where are you; there sure are a lot of birds."

7 hours ago, geengaween said:

The same 6 second loop of generic birds going CHEEP CHEEP CHEEP CHEEPCHEEPCHEEPCHEEPCHEEP plays non-stop, no matter what, even when the weather is dark and stormy. It's like a drill boring into my skull. And there's no option to turn it off without turning EVERYTHING off including all the wind and rain sounds. I've even tried to mod it out myself but those sound files are packed so tight that replacing them with something less annoying is far beyond my abilities. Where are they? Nobody's ever seen these birds that are everywhere and nowhere at the same time. Maybe they are really huge speakers disguised as trees designed to drive survivors crazy. I can't spend any more time in the forest biome because I might stab out my own eardrums.

Please Pimps. You're cool guys. Be reasonable. It's been like 10 years. Please. I'm begging you. Mute the fake birds with something more appropriate to a post-apocalyptic hellscape. Or make the ambient sound files easier to mod.

Or, you know, instead of proposing to remove an aspect of the environment that only annoys a portion of the players, a better solution would be to allow a setting to adjust that aspect. Many games offer volume sliders for different parts of the game. A simple volume slider for "ambient sounds" is all that is needed.

4 hours ago, Syphon583 said:

Or, you know, instead of proposing to remove an aspect of the environment that only annoys a portion of the players, a better solution would be to allow a setting to adjust that aspect. Many games offer volume sliders for different parts of the game. A simple volume slider for "ambient sounds" is all that is needed.

Yeah, this is really what is needed.  Just a way to turn down the ambient sounds without turning down everything else.  I don't even notice the sounds.  What I do notice and get annoyed by are the wind sounds in the wasteland.  That sounds bad and makes it hard to hear anything.  It would also be good to be able to adjust sound so that it doesn't drown out voice from things like the auger or vehicles (though I do voice through Steam instead of the game, so that might not help me so much).

4 hours ago, Syphon583 said:

There already is a volume slider for ambient sounds. Unfortunately it affects ALL ambient sounds at the same time including weather.

At the end of the day, having a looping sound of a bunch of generic birds singing happily in what is supposed to be a scary apocalyptic wasteland is kind of inappropriate and should probably be replaced with something more tonally consistent, like the occasional sounds of carrion scavengers or something. It's awful, it sounds like a placeholder. No serious AAA game would have such a generic nonsensical track that just loops forever like that.

So far I've seen a lot of people saying it doesn't bother them but nobody saying that they actually like it and they think it should be kept. Everyone's so used to it that they don't realize how abysmal it is. Just because it's something you've gotten used to after 4000 hours of play doesn't mean you need to defend its continued inclusion in the game.

9 hours ago, geengaween said:

There already is a volume slider for ambient sounds. Unfortunately it affects ALL ambient sounds at the same time including weather.

At the end of the day, having a looping sound of a bunch of generic birds singing happily in what is supposed to be a scary apocalyptic wasteland is kind of inappropriate and should probably be replaced with something more tonally consistent, like the occasional sounds of carrion scavengers or something. It's awful, it sounds like a placeholder. No serious AAA game would have such a generic nonsensical track that just loops forever like that.

So far I've seen a lot of people saying it doesn't bother them but nobody saying that they actually like it and they think it should be kept. Everyone's so used to it that they don't realize how abysmal it is. Just because it's something you've gotten used to after 4000 hours of play doesn't mean you need to defend its continued inclusion in the game.

Many sounds in the game needs a revamb, including the birds.

1 minute ago, geengaween said:

Something like this would be ideal, no intrusive animal or bird sounds, just an unsettling ambience

That would be so much better for wasteland than what we have now!  I'm kind of tempted to have this playing on a loop while I sleep.  ;)

2 hours ago, ElCabong said:

Having a pack of zombie dogs howl at the moon would be cool

Maybe, made me think that zed dogs don't really howl thou, so I got an image of the TIE Fighter flyby-sound in my head.. that, but polyphonic. Nnniiiaaaaauuuu...

On 7/12/2023 at 7:31 PM, geengaween said:

Last I experienced the plane for airdrops is also tied to the ambient sounds slider.

I usually just mod in birds. But right now I'm trying to play with EAC online with a server side mod. But I have seen this done and I'm sure it's not too much trouble to update for alpha 21. 

I would appreciate multiple audio channels in game though.