Dew collector nerf in New update?

• Dew collector creates activity heat when filling

So if any if you folks have a bunch of those things set up it looks like you might be in for a screamer fest. Just curious is there even a way to turn them off?

I haven't bothered making those useless things but I know alot of players use them especially in MP so this seems like a massive F'in nerf. I swear the pimps have no clue what to do with this game anymore or fix the issues they cause.

5 minutes ago, Slingblade2040 said:

Just curious is there even a way to turn them off?

If all else fails, land claim and pick up. Probably won't generate heat while full; that, of course, remains to be seen...

I'm thinking it's likely going to be an insignificant amount, but why put it in then .. and if it's actually significant. Eh. Passive screamer farming I guess .. :)

15 minutes ago, SylenThunder said:

It's only active when they are filling. If they are sitting there full and not collection, then there is no heat generated.

That is kinda dumb for them to even make them generate heat. I really want to know wth the thought process was when they decided to make that decision to implement such a ridiculous nerf.

41 minutes ago, SylenThunder said:

It's only active when they are filling. If they are sitting there full and not collection, then there is no heat generated.

Why is something that trees, shrubs and grass do suddenly worthy of an "activity" penalty when the player does it?

Do the dew collectors affect the heat map... ... ...? 🤔

We have eight of them on our rooftop and we check them regularly to get the odd jar or two out them - so they're running constantly enough and we're on Day 21. We even added two more tonight because glue and duct tape are just recurring bottlenecks for us. The only time screamers (three of them) ever turned up was the night we wielded picks together and cleared all the ironwork off the roof; and then later (one of them) when we were being particularly industrious and running all the campfires, forges and the work bench.

Remember, the heatmap is really just an activity map, and anything you do affects it even if it doesn't generate any form of actual heat. But my overall experience is that unless you're using multiple campfires, running multiple forges, or mining a whole load of iron, you're unlikely to attract a screamer. 

Edited by OneManStanding
Too much blank space (see edit history)

A dew collector was probably a bad choice for this world.

In the desert, you would have to do something like cover up a bunch of collected plants to get the moisture out of them as they bake in the sun.

In the snow biome, the cold air wouldn't even allow it.

I would have started with making distilled water over a fire which would make sense attracting zombies. Then later on, you can upgrade to solar still with no affect on heat map.
Since no jars, craft with a bucket, fill it with a bucket. Take from it with a leather flask.

24 minutes ago, AtomicUs5000 said:

In the desert, you would have to do something like cover up a bunch of collected plants to get the moisture out of them as they bake in the sun.

Dig a shallow wide hole (needs to be deep enough that tarp above it won't touch the container placed in it), place a pan (other containers also work, just make sure you did the hole deep enough that the tarp won't touch the container) roughly centered in the bottom of it, take a section of tarp (plastic, cloth, heck a large mylar sheet works even better) and lay it across the hole weighing/staking down the corners, place a small rock just heavy enough to cause the tarp to bow a bit in the middle of the tarp above the pan. Water will collect as the dew evaporates from the soil over night hitting the tarp and following gravity to the lowest point above the pan dripping.

No plants needed, though it does work best in areas of the desert where there is some plant growth and you really need to make sure that there are no crawlies or snakes under the tarp when you go to collect. They like water too and the tarp makes for decent shade for them during the day.

Edited by hiemfire (see edit history)

13 minutes ago, ulukinatme said:

Really stupid. Dew collectors neither make noise, nor do they actively move or do anything other than passively collect water...and not much of it at that. Where's the logic in this? 

There isn't any. It seems to purely be a change for the sake of being dickish.

2 minutes ago, hiemfire said:

Dig a shallow wide hole (needs to be deep enough that tarp above it won't touch the container placed in it), place a pan (other containers also work, just make sure you did the hole deep enough that the tarp won't touch the container) roughly centered in the bottom of it, take a section of tarp (plastic, cloth, heck a large mylar sheet works even better) and lay it across the hole weighing/staking down the corners, place a small rock just heavy enough to cause the tarp to bow a bit in the middle of the tarp above the pan. Water will collect as the dew evaporates from the soil over night hitting the tarp and following gravity to the lowest point above the pan dripping.

No plants needed, though it does work best in areas of the desert where there is some plant growth and you really need to make sure that there are no crawlies or snakes under the tarp when you go to collect. They like water too.

Well sure. Let's go to the desert and see which works better and translate it into the game somehow, lol.
I was just trying to point out that the dew collector was an inappropriate choice here. It doesn't make sense for the world, and it doesn't make sense if they wanted this to be something to influence the heat map.

Speaking of dew collectors, anyone else wonder...

WHERE DO THE FREAKING JARS COME FROM?

We can't make jars, we can't collect jars, we can't retain jars from water we drink...  But somehow, magical mystically supernaturally... Dew collectors collect jars from thin air.

Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, TFP?

Seriously.  If you want dew collectors to make any sense at all, put jars back in the game and add a Jar Storage to the dew collectors.  No jars, no water.  THAT would be...  "Immersive AF".

9 minutes ago, Evil_Geoff said:

They come from the same dimension your spent brass goes to. The dimension that donates leather whenever you scrap an office chair. And the extra water whenever you use a bucket.

Wh

47 minutes ago, Evil_Geoff said:

Speaking of dew collectors, anyone else wonder...

Jars naturally evaporate from your body as part of your sweat when you eat them while drinking from them.

The dew collectors condense this jar vapor from the atmosphere, reforming the jar.

So, not only did you guys make getting water more onerous, it wasn't more onerous ENOUGH so you made it attract Screamers, too?

WHY??

Also, why do we need water - not murky water - to make glue? We're not able to eat the glue, so it doesn't need to be potable water! We should just be able to make it with murky water. And why can't we turn snowballs into murky water?

I'm over the "magic jars from thin air", but the rest of these things just made the game worse for no good reason. Like seriously, why was ANY of this necessary? Why can't I just make/loot/get from consuming liquids empty jars, fill them from a water source, and boil them to make them potable? Why was ANY of this done IN THE FIRST PLACE, damnit?! It's so frustrating and I can't figure out why it was even necessary in the first place. Was there some kind of problem with people not dying from thirst all the time?

Especially since you can just do a couple missions now and buy armfulls of water and teas from your nearby Trader, negating the entire process anyway!

Of all the changes in this game's history, this has to be the stupidest, most annoying, and most uncalled for, and I still haven't seen a good explanation for why it was needed.

6 minutes ago, AtomicUs5000 said:

Patience. They'll let us know each time a better explanation is thought of.

I mean, as far as I can tell, they are treating it just like every other workstation. Is that TFP's official answer? I dunno.  From a gameplay perspective, it does make sense though.

So supposedly this will generate the same heat as 2 torches.  How exactly does something that doesn't have electrical parts or use fire generate heat equivalent to that who knows. 

To me this is a bad move on TFPs part. So now since most players use like 4 of these it's the same as having 8 torches up at a base so I'm guessing for people that use more this is basically a constant screamer farm.

Do these people have a discussion about this crap or is it just a bunch of yes people around the pimps? The kind who will agree with anything they want to implement no matter how stupid it is.

Edited by meganoth
insult removed (see edit history)

9 minutes ago, SylenThunder said:

I mean, as far as I can tell, they are treating it just like every other workstation. Is that TFP's official answer? I dunno.  From a gameplay perspective, it does make sense though.

That would make sense if the heat came with it originally and wasn't added in today's experimental. It is a response to something.

3 minutes ago, AtomicUs5000 said:

That would make sense if the heat came with it originally and wasn't added in today's experimental. It is a response to something.

I'm not so certain it's in response to something.

They forgot to add the heat to the Workstation and Cement Mixer as well. Both of those got their heat added back in with this update.

PROBLEM: Jars exist
SOLUTION: REMOVE JARS!   Success!

Oh no....

PROBLEM: Where to get water?

SOLUTION: Dew collectors give you 3 water per day!  Success!

Oh no...

PROBLEM: Players are building tons of dew collectors because 3 water per day is pretty useless, especially for multiplayer groups.

SOLUTION! DEW COLLECTORS ATTRACT SCREAMERS

The ridiculous chain of solutions to problems TFP created themselves to begin with. What next, are dew collectors going to require electricity?

49 minutes ago, AllTheGoodNamesAreInUse said:

What next, are dew collectors going to require electricity?

I learned a long, LONG time ago while playing tabletop D&D (1st edition, mind you, not even AD&D yet...)

Don't give the GM ideas!

2 hours ago, theFlu said:

They come from the same dimension your spent brass goes to. The dimension that donates leather whenever you scrap an office chair. And the extra water whenever you use a bucket.

I'm going to roll with the "extra water dimension"... 

But only because office chairs can have their seats and backs covered in leather.

While I spent much time recovering brass on the firing range, I don't seem to recall anyone pausing to recover spent brass in a firefight.  But there should absolutely be a "brass catcher" mod available.

Edited by Evil_Geoff
Additional thoughts/clarification. (see edit history)

6 hours ago, Slingblade2040 said:
  • Dew collector creates activity heat when filling

So if any if you folks have a bunch of those things set up it looks like you might be in for a screamer fest. Just curious is there even a way to turn them off?

I haven't bothered making those useless things but I know alot of players use them especially in MP so this seems like a massive F'in nerf. I swear the pimps have no clue what to do with this game anymore or fix the issues they cause.

An inanimate object made of plastic that "catches dew" generates heat. Omg lol. llllllllllllloooooooooollllllllllll.

And people apparently wondered why push back on this stupid change (the jar nerf) started on day 1.

Edited by Survior (see edit history)

This is an interesting change. Lots of ways to deal with it. I think any free resource production should have some influence in how noticable this is for all aggressive entities. For the simple fact that you can easily cheese this in MP and become the king of water and duct tape on the server. You get get ridiculous dukes from selling that with no upper limit.

Also this makes perfect sense if you add Bandits and their heatmap to this concept. Those npc types I am sure would take note of a clean water source in their area. This places water into an area of concern when defending. Right now mine is just sitting out in the open.