Speaking of loops, I have this feeling that I am the one in the hamster wheel.

Rotor

So, I only started to get this feeling about day 100.  I had never gotten this far.  However, I feel like I am BM fighting, gather rss replenish stock, make ammo, make concrete, fix, upgrade base, fight BM, replenish stock, make ammo, make concrete, fix, upgrade base......etc, etc, so on and so forth.

I dont feel I have time for PoI clearing.  Some of it is self induced I believe, you know, no quest, perma death, survive hehe.  Maybe I am not an efficient enough gatherer :).  Maybe I should follow one of those veins to the center of the earth, but I am hesitant of screamers and getting caught down there.  There is no room to die :).  The dread is wearing a little on me.  Maybe I should switch from mining and just go loot PoI for the RSS to fight BM.  Wonder if that is sustainable or more desirable.

Any ways, anyone get that feeling?  Did you eventually over come it?  Or did you just jump into a horde bare knuckles and called it END GAME? :)

I am getting to that point in my current playthrough as well. Nearing day 100, never made it this far and I'm finding myself wondering what my next hurdle should be. When do I call it good? I don't see this as a downside like some other players. Starting a new run is its own kind of fun. But I feel silly just abandoning this run. I've built a horde base in the wasteland to up the challenge (and let's face it, the reward as well). It's a pretty solid base and I don't see it failing anytime soon.

I've decided that before I call this run successful, I want to build a "dream home" in a nice secluded area that would theoretically be hard to get to for zombies (obviously there's a bit of RP there-zombies in this game will always find a way 😆) I've found a nice tall mesa in the desert that is only accessible by air. Breathtaking views, plenty of space for a modest home and a small garden. I've begun designing the layout of the place and as soon as I can get it built and self-sustainable, I'll retire and say goodbye to all the hustle and bustle of horde night preparation. Maybe read a book or two.

Then onto the next run.

3 hours ago, Rotor said:

So, I only started to get this feeling about day 100.  I had never gotten this far.  However, I feel like I am BM fighting, gather rss replenish stock, make ammo, make concrete, fix, upgrade base, fight BM, replenish stock, make ammo, make concrete, fix, upgrade base......etc, etc, so on and so forth.

I dont feel I have time for PoI clearing.  Some of it is self induced I believe, you know, no quest, perma death, survive hehe.  Maybe I am not an efficient enough gatherer :).  Maybe I should follow one of those veins to the center of the earth, but I am hesitant of screamers and getting caught down there.  There is no room to die :).  The dread is wearing a little on me.  Maybe I should switch from mining and just go loot PoI for the RSS to fight BM.  Wonder if that is sustainable or more desirable.

Any ways, anyone get that feeling?  Did you eventually over come it?  Or did you just jump into a horde bare knuckles and called it END GAME? :)

Are you already at max bloodmoon zeds at 64?  

You can also shake things up and pick a POI or a group of POIs to make a last stand from during a bloodmoon.

Something I would like to do but never got around to it, is to do a bloodmoon in the downtown tile where the clock tower is.  Not from the clock tower but from the downtown buildings that are so close to each other, that just are begging for you to jump to/from them.

Edited by Laz Man (see edit history)

17 minutes ago, Syphon583 said:

I am getting to that point in my current playthrough as well. Nearing day 100, never made it this far and I'm finding myself wondering what my next hurdle should be. When do I call it good? I don't see this as a downside like some other players. Starting a new run is its own kind of fun. But I feel silly just abandoning this run. I've built a horde base in the wasteland to up the challenge (and let's face it, the reward as well). It's a pretty solid base and I don't see it failing anytime soon.

I've decided that before I call this run successful, I want to build a "dream home" in a nice secluded area that would theoretically be hard to get to for zombies (obviously there's a bit of RP there-zombies in this game will always find a way 😆) I've found a nice tall mesa in the desert that is only accessible by air. Breathtaking views, plenty of space for a modest home and a small garden. I've begun designing the layout of the place and as soon as I can get it built and self-sustainable, I'll retire and say goodbye to all the hustle and bustle of horde night preparation. Maybe read a book or two.

Then onto the next run.

This dream home scenario seems so familiar to me...

A Few Thoughts on Pixar's "Up" | dadcraft

I didnt portray myself correctly, I think.  I am no where near maxed out or where I think the character should be.  On my previous playthrough I was clearing PoIs one a day (plust minerals /pun reference).  I had not built a base, Was just using a PoI, and the upgrades were minor.  So, the RSS requirement for base building didnt set me back....I think I just realized the difference.  However, the PoI did not offere the level or protection needed for the current playthrough, hence the base build.  

I think the chem station will help relief some of the current dull drums.

OTOH had a funny moment yesterday.  Do you know one of them dead trees can reach 25 blocks high?  That is how many frames I had to use to nerd pole it.  Had to reach a loot drop that landed up there  heh.  I thought about shopping it down, but didnt know if it would break on impact, loose the loot or get loot bags.  That might have been a rage quit moment hehe.

Each of us has a different point in a game where we just decide enough is enough.  Myself I will leave a game, go on to a new play through and maybe revisit the saved older game later on, sometimes I do just hit the delete.  I did have 1 game in A18 that I was over 200 game days before pulling the plug on it, never regretted it!   Now adays I play permadeath, so I let the zombies decide for me!

Here’s a thought if you haven’t tried it yet…..build your base on top of either coal or lead and dig straight down all night to gather all of your resources. Unless you are using an auger, you won’t get a bunch of screamers. Turn off your forges and remove torches and you should be fine. If you do have an auger or still get screamers, surround your base with 2 rows of wood spikes. Morning arrives, chop a couple of spikes and you’re free to loot for the day. Have your forges/campfire run all day while you’re gone.

15 hours ago, Syphon583 said:

Then onto the next run.

Try a build you never done before. If you've done an agility build, do a strength build. If you have done one of those two, do an intelligence build.

19 hours ago, Rotor said:

I have experienced it. At one point I just decided to play a game and not prepare for hoard night. I randomized the day and turned off as much of the warnings as possible. (You still get to see a red sky so you know its coming.) I didn't build a base. That turned out to be a lot of fun, so when playing solo I often go that route. I kind of wish the game would give us the option of not changing the sky color until the horde started. Also, it would be nice to let it get dark at any hour of the day and have a horde. Completely random; completely unexpected.

9 hours ago, Rotor said:

OTOH had a funny moment yesterday.  Do you know one of them dead trees can reach 25 blocks high?  That is how many frames I had to use to nerd pole it.  Had to reach a loot drop that landed up there  heh.  I thought about shopping it down, but didnt know if it would break on impact, loose the loot or get loot bags.  That might have been a rage quit moment hehe.

You did the right thing. Chopping down that tree would give you a nice view of the air drop crate going *POOF* as it touched the ground.

And no loot bags either. 🤬

As an aside, standing under a falling air drop gives similar results, plus you'll be looking at the 'Spawn on my bedroll' screen real quick...💀

Edited by Melange (see edit history)

1 hour ago, ElCabong said:

Try a build you never done before. If you've done an agility build, do a strength build. If you have done one of those two, do an intelligence build.

Of course. I wasn't expressing a dilemma with how to make the game fresh. Like I said, I have no problem with starting new runs and trying different things. I find that extremely fun. I was just stating that I feel more or less content with how this current run is turning out and before I call it good, I want to build a cool new base in the middle of the desert.

20 hours ago, Rotor said:

I suppose that I could list a lot of reasons for GAME OVER...(no, not RAGE QUIT). A sense of futility perhaps? Or maybe feeling I made some wrong choices, or missed some opportunities and want to explore coming at the game from a different angle?  Which I do, and I must admit I have done it often.  But. The next session I start always plays out differently because of my immediate choices in game, what initial game settings I chose and what is dealt to me by RNG. And I believe it is that freedom of randomness that keeps me coming back.

Now, what keeps me wanting to continue a session? When my stuff is at level 5 and I want it all to be level 6 is one reason.

Later, I'm maxed out at level 6 gear and weaponry of my choice.  Have hit the T5 POI's so many times I can do it blindfolded....until I screw up because of over confidence. And either its a serious brush with death for my character or its a final curtain call, I just hang it up.  Each time I play a committed 'long' game I will inevitably reach a plateau of indifference and perceived futility for continuing.

Be aware, I do not fault TFP for this. So hold your horses if that's what you're thinking. I have read TFP are addressing the late game experience, and I look forward to it. But I will say TFP have delivered quite an engaging game, warts and all. And after 11k hours I still can discover something new. What? I can get acid by wrenching wall-mounted industrial medical stations? Yeah, I did learn that this week. 😄

22 hours ago, Melange said:

I suppose that I could list a lot of reasons for GAME OVER...(no, not RAGE QUIT). A sense of futility perhaps? Or maybe feeling I made some wrong choices, or missed some opportunities and want to explore coming at the game from a different angle?  Which I do, and I must admit I have done it often.  But. The next session I start always plays out differently because of my immediate choices in game, what initial game settings I chose and what is dealt to me by RNG. And I believe it is that freedom of randomness that keeps me coming back.

Now, what keeps me wanting to continue a session? When my stuff is at level 5 and I want it all to be level 6 is one reason.

Later, I'm maxed out at level 6 gear and weaponry of my choice.  Have hit the T5 POI's so many times I can do it blindfolded....until I screw up because of over confidence. And either its a serious brush with death for my character or its a final curtain call, I just hang it up.  Each time I play a committed 'long' game I will inevitably reach a plateau of indifference and perceived futility for continuing.

Be aware, I do not fault TFP for this. So hold your horses if that's what you're thinking. I have read TFP are addressing the late game experience, and I look forward to it. But I will say TFP have delivered quite an engaging game, warts and all. And after 11k hours I still can discover something new. What? I can get acid by wrenching wall-mounted industrial medical stations? Yeah, I did learn that this week. 😄

What you're describing is the post endgame doldrums that you get from any game that lets you just keep playing in the world after the story is over and credits have rolled. This game just doesn't have the final event or the credit roll yet. So in the future you will reach a point where you will either be able to topple the Duke or Noah and the credits will roll but the game will most likely let you continue to play if you want and it will be just as it is now-- doing whatever until you get bored and decide to start over.

I really doubt TFP is going to download a DLC with extended story and advanced content designed for characters level 200 - 300 at some point. I fully expect that the current late game gameplay we all do until we finally get bored and decide to start over is going to be exactly the same as it will be once the story is in. You'll finish the story, watch the credits, and continue playing in the world with no more story objectives until you get bored.

On 9/1/2022 at 4:37 AM, Roland said:

What you're describing is the post endgame doldrums that you get from any game that lets you just keep playing in the world after the story is over and credits have rolled. This game just doesn't have the final event or the credit roll yet. So in the future you will reach a point where you will either be able to topple the Duke or Noah and the credits will roll but the game will most likely let you continue to play if you want and it will be just as it is now-- doing whatever until you get bored and decide to start over.

I really doubt TFP is going to download a DLC with extended story and advanced content designed for characters level 200 - 300 at some point. I fully expect that the current late game gameplay we all do until we finally get bored and decide to start over is going to be exactly the same as it will be once the story is in. You'll finish the story, watch the credits, and continue playing in the world with no more story objectives until you get bored.

Okay, so I didn't quite get what the OP was on about perhaps?  Yep, I related late-game repetetiveness. So blood moon cycle of rebuild, repair, kill, repeat is not similar? It sure as heck gives a familiar flavor of experience to me. But we all play differently with different expectations. 

Thanks for your input, but it didn't help clear up what the OP intended. Or where my understanding possibly went south. Now, that feeling of being a rodent in a roundabout...thank RNG we don't have to deal with rats. 🐀

25 minutes ago, Melange said:

Thanks for your input, but it didn't help clear up what the OP intended.

That's probably because I was responding to you and not the OP though my comments relate to the OP as well. I was responding mostly to this:

On 8/30/2022 at 2:50 PM, Melange said:

Each time I play a committed 'long' game I will inevitably reach a plateau of indifference and perceived futility for continuing.

Be aware, I do not fault TFP for this. So hold your horses if that's what you're thinking. I have read TFP are addressing the late game experience, and I look forward to it.

My point was to not get too high expectations. Much of the gameplay in the late game will still be the same only there will have been a final boss challenge event and then credits and then it will be what we have now: hordenight - repair - loot - craft - hordenight etc until you decide to start over.

Edited by Roland (see edit history)

9 minutes ago, Roland said:

That's probably because I was responding to you and not the OP though my comments relate to the OP as well. I was responding mostly to this:

My point was to not get too high expectations. Much of the gameplay in the late game will still be the same only there will have been a final boss challenge event and then credits and then it will be what we have now: hordenight - repair - loot - craft - hordenight etc until you decide to start over.

Yeah, OK. Point taken. No worries. I wanted to be more clear on my stance. Other than that, business as usual 🙂

Edited by Melange (see edit history)

In order to keep from feeling "bored" I made edits to the spawn.xml and I upped the total spawn per chunk to 2.5x and respawn down to 1 day or less. This keeps you from being able to sit back and relax unless you have a very effective AFK base, but this also increases your leveling quite a bit so I have never gotten past day 24 without dying due to how quickly the difficulty increases. I always play "dead is dead" now. 1000+ hours, so this is the only way for me to feel a real sense of danger and anxiety.

60minute days and solo with this many zeds to deal with makes stamina a REALLY valuable commodity.