Are there any Role Playing groups?

Roland

Just curious. Anyone part of one of those groups and if so how is it? I've played PvP, PvE, and solo but I've never played on a server where each participant has to behave and play in a particular role. I've heard of these types of servers being created for Rust and wondered if anyone has done anything like that for 7 Days to Die.

I thought about it but I'm not looking to join-- just curious if such a community exists and would love to hear about how they modify gameplay to roleplay together. Prime mentioned to me that it was also a very popular thing in GTA V. 

Well, I had a quick look searching for "role play" and got some results (just a few pages) and most of them were from a few years ago.

The most recent was from this year on May. I guess it's a niche gameplay and not many are doing it by the looks of it.

Or maybe they just play it this way between friends and family, so they don't post there because they already know each other.

I rarely see mention of RP in the server listings but I can only read the ones in English. It seems like GTA is maybe better suited for RP - that and it has way more players so a better chance of there being enough LARPERs to form a group on a server. When I played Project Zomboid I'd see a bunch and now again someone would pop on to our server "in character" and kinda break the immersion/environment we had created? We were cool but let 'em know we weren't doing that. One of the PZ devs is into the GTA RP and I *think* is trying to bring some of that into their zombie apocalypse game. I bet if/when 7D2D has many players as Rust (...it should damn it, lol) RP servers will appear. Now *I* need to know - I'm rlly curious what backstory, goals etc etc they'd develop. =\ 

the only way ive seen this done is by 6 people having a role class book that being smelter, scientist, miner, cook, mechanic and armourer and you could only chose one i play on a server that has this exact thing but the material needed to craft more class books is really rare in drops and you need 40 so yeah this can be done to an extent as long as all 6 people are active and craft their specific roled items and share it with each other its not impossible just the modes required to do this need to be created

9 hours ago, Callum123456789 said:

the only way ive seen this done is by 6 people having a role class book that being smelter, scientist, miner, cook, mechanic and armourer and you could only chose one i play on a server that has this exact thing but the material needed to craft more class books is really rare in drops and you need 40 so yeah this can be done to an extent as long as all 6 people are active and craft their specific roled items and share it with each other its not impossible just the modes required to do this need to be created

This kind of roleplaying is actually not as rare i would even say it´s quite common that people have designated tasks in a party.  Actual role playing usually includes behaviour, not getting out of character and such things aswell. Like you would have in a pen and paper RPG.

Gaming industry stretched the term "role playing" a bit. Having attributes and skills is enough to be considered a RPG.

Edited by pApA^LeGBa (see edit history)

Yeah, I was more talking about people who play actively actually acting out a designated role in the world and always staying in character and behaving in ways that preserve the character rather than ways that are optimal for gameplay. The skills and stats and attributes only contribute somewhat to the role but it is mostly acting and only doing those things the character would do based on their knowledge.

Y'know,  I might have a hard time roleplaying my character: he might have established habits like mining, chilidogs, and always basing above ground but I don't even know where or when he came from (Yet?) - like if he was freakin' D&D elf or something. I think maybe filling a role or roles in a team in 7Days can create its own kind of "drama" w/ a plot and characters but w/o acting- esp during Horde Night. They're not super in depth characters but they're not the office workers, techs, students etc who we are. 

Three of us were getting ready for Horde night at a buddy's fortress. He decides he wants all the scaffolding, whether the electronics are done or not, and people inside. My wife and I are pretty new and he's teaching us how to play. I am not done hooking stuff up. So, there is a moment when we are both standing on frame blocks over a very deep pit and I tell him, "If you do not give me a minute more I WILL drop you in the pit." (Naw, didn't know how, lol.) Horde night still got me pretty hyper. My wife shrugged and went inside to grab the best spot. So, that got interesting when roles/tasks clashed - a little extra excitement to get past but no one was acting. I mean, I don't *think* that's roleplaying and I don't see how RP could add much. That's me though - still interested if someone comes up w/ some kind of framework. Just interested though, lol. 

22 hours ago, Roland said:

Yeah, I was more talking about people who play actively actually acting out a designated role in the world and always staying in character and behaving in ways that preserve the character rather than ways that are optimal for gameplay. The skills and stats and attributes only contribute somewhat to the role but it is mostly acting and only doing those things the character would do based on their knowledge.

You are looking for a Daniel Day Lewis server...

If there aren't any I hope someone will start one soon. I have been playing GTA RP on a few Whitelisted servers and its a blast. I really think real RP could work in 7dtd.

The latest of my playthroughs I have been roleplaying more and more, like plaing a carachter that dosen't craft, or playing a coward that rather flight than fight!

It appears to me that MP games in A21 will have to consider the RP theme. Yes, designate who will be Cooker, Tailor, or Motorbike maker. No more 'I have read that magazine' but rather 'Who has enough skills for this'? We will have to set the ground rules, and collect all the magazines then agree to who reads which ones. And then agree who is gonna specialize into what skill. It is a major paradigm shift from what we have become accustomed to. Should prove interesting. RP will become a thing, even if it is unintended.  Sp would be a non-issue (kinda). MP, well you have to establish some trust, and hope they will stay with the game session.

@Melange That´s pretty much what we do already. We have one miner/builder/farmer/cook, one crafter/scavenger/looter, one miner/scavenger and a looter. But that´s not RP, that´s simply having classes/jobs.

As said above, Roland asked for actual RP where you define yourself by not only your job/class, but actually playing a role, as in how you talk, having certain personality characteristics for your figure and such. Much like a LARP ingame.

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/9/2022 at 10:06 PM, Roland said:

Just curious. Anyone part of one of those groups and if so how is it? I've played PvP, PvE, and solo but I've never played on a server where each participant has to behave and play in a particular role. I've heard of these types of servers being created for Rust and wondered if anyone has done anything like that for 7 Days to Die.

There used to be larger servers where there were 30+ people and we pretended we were in the apocalypse and zombies were trying to kill us.  We made our own shops and banded together when a blood moon was coming and we tried to survive the hordes coming for us.  We shared resources and helped each other.  Sometimes these RP servers would have other players trying to kill you also.  Their role was to try and kill you before you realized they were bad, and sometimes you had to RP a killer too and shoot them first.  Those were back in the heyday though.  You can't put that many people on a server anymore and have quality play.

18 minutes ago, RyanX said:

There used to be larger servers where there were 30+ people and we pretended we were in the apocalypse and zombies were trying to kill us.  We made our own shops and banded together when a blood moon was coming and we tried to survive the hordes coming for us.  We shared resources and helped each other.  Sometimes these RP servers would have other players trying to kill you also.  Their role was to try and kill you before you realized they were bad, and sometimes you had to RP a killer too and shoot them first.  Those were back in the heyday though.  You can't put that many people on a server anymore and have quality play.

Makes sense!

Consider making one for yourself if your interested.  I actual am too, i would gladly if i knew where too start.  only thing i can think of is a big group of friends playing together like Neebs Gaming.  Get together in a discord call, assign rolls either off the bat or as you progress, make a fancy base, maybe even record and post on youtube.  I'd love to be apart or at least see a youtube series like this.  Neebs gaming did really well, i watched like half their series but that was before i played the game, so i wasn't super interested, just a bored past time of youtube scrolling.  I'd gladly try it out with anyone willing!