Alpha 21 Discussion Overflow

meilodasreh

Eat my chicken? MY CHICKEN?!? 

I had just chased down a chicken and was harvesting it when a zombie was coming up to me. I was thinking that he would attack me. But NO! 

He starts eating my chicken. I was like hell no! lol

I remember something about this in a video but hadn't seen it in the my playthrough till now. 

I can see some creative ways to use this. 

It would be great if the de-spawn times were increased though. 

Where are all the pots? I don't see them anywhere. I can find food, mostly raw food and murky water. But no pots. With water filters at 1500 Dukes, it kind of makes clean water out of reach. 

I keep searching kitchens but not one pot. 

11 hours ago, sillls said:

Where are all the pots? I don't see them anywhere. I can find food, mostly raw food and murky water. But no pots. With water filters at 1500 Dukes, it kind of makes clean water out of reach. 

Uhm... same here. I am confused: Did they remove pots from the game? I thought you can still cook murky water into clear water? This is also no more possible?

12 hours ago, sillls said:

I have already found several. There are POIs that have a cooking pot as decoration, such as the Taco Truck or Bob's Boars.

@Lokeus

Edited by RipClaw (see edit history)

1 hour ago, RipClaw said:

I have already found several. There are POIs that have a cooking pot as decoration, such as the Taco Truck or Bob's Boars.

I don't know if you're single player or not, but on a server low-tier houses, restaurants, and the little filler food trucks are picked over. You might draw a quest that lets you refresh a POI that gives out a cooking pot.

2 minutes ago, zztong said:

I don't know if you're single player or not, but on a server low-tier houses, restaurants, and the little filler food trucks are picked over. You might draw a quest that lets you refresh a POI that gives out a cooking pot.

I am a single player. But on a server you should be able to find someone who can make you a cooking pot in the forge.

Just now, RipClaw said:

I am a single player. But on a server you should be able to find someone who can make you a cooking pot in the forge.

Agreed, you should, though that isn't always the case for various reasons.

3 hours ago, Lokeus said:

Uhm... same here. I am confused: Did they remove pots from the game? I thought you can still cook murky water into clear water? This is also no more possible?

By the time I reached the first town, I found something like 6-8 of them.  Two I ended up carrying to the city, and the rest I stored away in the various chests I laid down as I was going to the town.  As others suggested, residential POIs are more than likely to have cooking pots in them.   I prioritize residential POIs for food, cooking pots, and now cooking magazines whenever I start a new game during the first few days to get setup.

15 hours ago, sillls said:

I second the taco truck suggestion. Unless they changed something, I think there is always one there (unless you're on a MP server and someone else snatched it). Also, as far as the filter goes, scrounging up 1500 dukes within the first couple days is pretty easy to do. You just have to be ok with selling off loot you otherwise would be accustomed to keeping. Keep any lead you loot and turn into junk turret ammo for extra cash.

EDIT: I just saw release notes that the pricing for junk turret ammo was adjusted to prevent exploits. Haven't seen what that adjustment is exactly yet, but it's probably safe to say they won't sell for as much as they used to. That being said, getting 1500 is still pretty easy.

Edited by Syphon583 (see edit history)

I just emptied my revolver into a Hawaiian guy's face and it didn't even slow him down. Then headshoted a woman zombie with the same result. 

Might as well been using a primitive bow. 

What happened to shoot'em in the head? 

1 hour ago, Roland said:

Animals actually have a really long despawn time. Your chicken didn’t despawn. It got et. 

I see. I did not know that the despawn time on animals was increased. Do you know how long it is now? 

Also, do you know if you can move Dew collectors? 

Thanks. 

4 hours ago, zztong said:

Agreed, you should, though that isn't always the case for various reasons.

It’s probably going to be hard to find cooking pots and some other items on PVP or non-Coop servers. Presumably the server admins will make some tweaks to accommodate for this.

1 hour ago, sillls said:

I see. I did not know that the despawn time on animals was increased. Do you know how long it is now? 

Also, do you know if you can move Dew collectors? 

Thanks. 

I don’t think the times have been increased. Animal corpses have always hung around longer than zombie corpses. 

I think you can move the dew collectors but I’m not 100% sure. 

I ended up finding three pots. It makes a world of difference.  

These pots are a real bottleneck in the game. When you start, all you can find is murky water and a few cans of cheap food. Hunting is good but again, you need some way to cook it. No grills found. 

Lighting: Some issues with lighting during rain. It gets almost pitch dark when it rains, and you have a roof over your head. It doesn't even need walls. It can be an overhang like at a gas station and it gets nearly pitch black. I have brightness maxed out and I still have that effect. 

Player damage. Why is the player so fragile and weak? Weapons don't seem to do much of any damage. Sometimes they even seem to pull the zombie to you but never away. You would think a good spear thrust would knock a rotting corps down. 

Also you take so much damage. I was wearing scrap iron armor and got swiped by a passing zombie while riding a bike. Damage plus a bleed out. 

I mean come 'on. My avatar has armor on and still gets that much damage from a passing swipe? 

First alpha I actually dont post a completely new thread, as I haven't had the time or energy to extensively test/play...

1) eating and drinking feels weird now... why do we throw away the bottles and glasses?
Feels arbitrary.
2) I dont even know if this has always been the case... but the first zombie that hit me gave me an infection as well as a concussion.
That meant I had to effectively let something kill me so that I could go on playing again.
Why is there a safetynet for temperature, but not for statuses? Especially when you only just get your first stone weapons.
3) quests are still faaaaaar too rewarding at the beginning. Like... in the same time I would have to clear 5 pois just to keep up.
T1 and T2 quest need to give even less dukes and XP and give a smaller selection. 10 molotovs? That is incredibly powerful. So are 10 first aid on day 1.
To lessen the grind let us skip T1 and T2 quests on new traders... if we got them on another trader, straight up skip to T3.

Personal opinion: I dislike the difficulty display. It makes it feel even more gamy than it already felt.

Just watched an old 7d2d video of someone being stranded in the desert... it was creepy... and survivaly...
Now itsjust "loot as many houses and complete quests as you can".

Can't say enough about leveling... might comment on here again...
but the fact that I don't even open a new thread...
well I am kind of sad tbh...