Alpha 21 Discussion Overflow

meilodasreh

6 minutes ago, semu said:

hey wheres the changelog page? lost it somehow and can't find it.  I know it shows their updates to the upcoming release/when they work on it.

You lost the first page of this thread???

We're more than half-way through the projected release window. Do we have any hope of getting firmer date?

I bought this thing with a built-in warning that essentially everything I'm doing is pointless because pre-A21 games won't load when A21 is dropped. A warning that didn't appear until after I'd already purchased the game, BTW.

I've suspended play until then, but I'd like to know how long that has to last.

27 minutes ago, KaldaraFox said:

We're more than half-way through the projected release window. Do we have any hope of getting firmer date?

I bought this thing with a built-in warning that essentially everything I'm doing is pointless because pre-A21 games won't load when A21 is dropped. A warning that didn't appear until after I'd already purchased the game, BTW.

I mean you did buy an early access game. You can still play A20 build after A21 releases. You just got to start a new world with A21 features. Every Alpha update has been this way. Not sure but I imagine A22 will be the same. Or maybe I heard it might not I don't remember. But either way you can still play A20 even if A21 releases. 

38 minutes ago, KaldaraFox said:

No

46 minutes ago, KaldaraFox said:

You don't need to stop playing, actually.

If you want to know how to best handle the transition between A20 and A21 (experimental and stable), you may want to read this post I made on Steam.

Edited by Jost Amman (see edit history)

@KaldaraFox

Also keep in mind that when you want to start a new game with A21,

the first build, which may or may not be released within one of the next mondays,

will be a first version of an experimental build...maybe even a "pre-experimental"...whatever it means...it's the way of the devs to tell you it's even one more level of "not yet stable".

And every new experimental build will surely include the recommentation to start a new game when you update, because new updates might interfere with previous code, making your savegames not work anymore.

The common period of time between first public experimental build to first stable build is at least another couple of weeks.

So if you are aiming for a stable long term playthrough,

you can easily give A20 another shot.

It's not that A20 stops being fun to play because there's another alpha looming on the horizon.

Edited by meilodasreh (see edit history)

1 hour ago, KaldaraFox said:

No need for drastic measures. You can still play A20 (as was mentioned by others), just don’t try to mix it with A21. 

I would recommend using the Mod Launcher. This wonderful little program allows you to keep multiple separate versions of the game available at the same time. It simply separates every iteration into different sub-directories to keep them safe from each other. You can play A20 or earlier, or several different modded versions of A20, and the Mod Launcher  keeps track for you. This way if you have your Steam prefs set to “latest build” then you never have to worry about being able to continue a game of 7DtD. 

44 minutes ago, Professor-Pip said:

No need for drastic measures. You can still play A20 (as was mentioned by others), just don’t try to mix it with A21. 

I would recommend using the Mod Launcher. This wonderful little program allows you to keep multiple separate versions of the game available at the same time. It simply separates every iteration into different sub-directories to keep them safe from each other. You can play A20 or earlier, or several different modded versions of A20, and the Mod Launcher  keeps track for you. This way if you have your Steam prefs set to “latest build” then you never have to worry about being able to continue a game of 7DtD. 

Any time spent on A20 will be lost if I want to move to A21.

I understand the NEED for it, but I'm not putting a few hundred hours into a version of a game that literally has no future.

I just want to know if there's any better estimate than "some time in a 61 day window that's already halfway behind us."

1 minute ago, KaldaraFox said:

I understand the NEED for it, but I'm not putting a few hundred hours into a version of a game that literally has no future.

I just want to know if there's any better estimate than "some time in a 61 day window that's already halfway behind us."

Like what was said. Even with the update it will be experimental version. You will put hours into it and it has no future as the next experimental will probably need a restart until it is stable. Then they properly do experimental on idk say A21.4 until that version of A21 is stable. So on and so on. A22 comes and it will probably need a restart. So non of these have a future if that what you are looking for. So not sure what the difference is when you say you don't want to put hours into A20 and it has no future. As long as it is in alpha none of the versions have a future like that. 

As far as your question no release date was given so they not past any window. They just suspected it would be in May at first. To many must fix bugs so they aiming towards June but that isn't 100% even though it is looking that way based on a dev stream with A21 Q&A and game play coming up. 

19 minutes ago, KaldaraFox said:

No

I estimate it will happen in the second half of the window. 

Then early access isn't something you probably want to be playing.  They are at least saying that A22 will be sooner than normal but even if it takes a long time, it'll still most likely be out within a year and you'll have to start again then.  The same for A23 and whatever other alphas are released and then again for the gold release.  Besides, this game is designed to be replayed repeatedly.  And if you're starting another game in the same alpha or starting another game in the next alpha, it isn't really any different other than that you get new features and changes.  Unless you rarely play the game, you may even complete a game or two of A20 before A21 experimental releases depending on how many days in the game you want to play before starting a new game.  And if you really don't like the idea of updating, then you are probably better off not even using experimental and instead waiting for A21 stable in a month or two, which gives you even more time to play A20.  And, as others have said, you don't even have to update to A21 if you don't want to.  You can simply keep playing A20 indefinitely if you prefer.

And, no... there's no better estimate.  They have said they are fixing game-stopping bugs first - this is a good thing.  Once that is taken care of, they'll release experimental on a Monday.  There will still be bugs in experimental.  They aren't fixing every bug before experimental.  So if that's an issue for you, don't play experimental.

Again, if this is all something you don't like dealing with, just put the game aside until it's released as gold. Until then, all alphas have "no future".

Also, keep in mind that although there is a lot of stuff in A21, the game is still essentially the same.  Other than the changes to crafting, most things are what you'd consider minor changes even if they are still a lot of work.  Having updated art, for example, isn't going to change the gameplay even though the game will look much nicer.  So it isn't like you're going to be playing something that won't exist anymore after A21.  Most things will be the same in A21.  It's really no different from a game that has already been released as gold getting a major update that isn't compatible with previous saves, which happens now and then.

Edited by Riamus (see edit history)

1 hour ago, Riamus said:

Then early access isn't something you probably want to be playing.  They are at least saying that A22 will be sooner than normal but even if it takes a long time, it'll still most likely be out within a year and you'll have to start again then.  The same for A23 and whatever other alphas are released and then again for the gold release.  Besides, this game is designed to be replayed repeatedly.  And if you're starting another game in the same alpha or starting another game in the next alpha, it isn't really any different other than that you get new features and changes.  Unless you rarely play the game, you may even complete a game or two of A20 before A21 experimental releases depending on how many days in the game you want to play before starting a new game.  And if you really don't like the idea of updating, then you are probably better off not even using experimental and instead waiting for A21 stable in a month or two, which gives you even more time to play A20.  And, as others have said, you don't even have to update to A21 if you don't want to.  You can simply keep playing A20 indefinitely if you prefer.

And, no... there's no better estimate.  They have said they are fixing game-stopping bugs first - this is a good thing.  Once that is taken care of, they'll release experimental on a Monday.  There will still be bugs in experimental.  They aren't fixing every bug before experimental.  So if that's an issue for you, don't play experimental.

Again, if this is all something you don't like dealing with, just put the game aside until it's released as gold. Until then, all alphas have "no future".

Also, keep in mind that although there is a lot of stuff in A21, the game is still essentially the same.  Other than the changes to crafting, most things are what you'd consider minor changes even if they are still a lot of work.  Having updated art, for example, isn't going to change the gameplay even though the game will look much nicer.  So it isn't like you're going to be playing something that won't exist anymore after A21.  Most things will be the same in A21.  It's really no different from a game that has already been released as gold getting a major update that isn't compatible with previous saves, which happens now and then.

There's a difference between a month of play and a year of play. I don't want to put any more time into a game that I won't be able to continue when this drops.

I didn't, by the way, ask your opinion.

I asked if there was a firm date on A21 dropping.

But you be you.

The whole game is in alpha release. IF they didn't intend it to be bought and played at that level, they probably should have held it until it was closer to ready.

3 minutes ago, KaldaraFox said:

There's a difference between a month of play and a year of play. I don't want to put any more time into a game that I won't be able to continue when this drops.

But you be you.

The whole game is in alpha release. IF they didn't intend it to be bought and played at that level, they probably should have held it until it was closer to ready.

To be honest its worth playing even for that month, if you are not used to the game it will be the perfect time to get used to how the weapons hit, the different building blocks, and even practicing base ideas which you will remember for the new alpha, i've been playing since a15 and each alpha has been a great change from the first one, it has never been a waste to play for any amount of time, plus through steam you can keep a20 installed before going into a21, we can set it back to even earlier than a15 to play older ones, and then you can see all the changes first hand instead of on youtube.

34 minutes ago, KaldaraFox said:

Except you bought an Early Access game... which makes the whole development process different, and based on that you should also change your expectations accordingly.

22 hours ago, Roland said:

I don't think it will be a thunder-stealing stream even if the streamer weekend happens this coming weekend. There are two major audiences really: Those who watch and follow the person they enjoy watching and those who watch to get information on the game. The first group will watch their guy or gal no matter what and enjoy it immensely-- probably more than watching TFP staff play. The second group greatly prefers just getting the information and will be interested in the Q&A aspect and that it is TFP staff answering the questions. Many in the second group are often annoyed by the personalities and antics of professional streamers and just want the info and are likely to just skip the streamer weekend but will want to watch QA staff playing and showing stuff off.

At any rate, experimental is at the door and about to come into the house and when it comes, any and all annoyance is forgotten in the excitement of getting it and playing it.

I'm watching all the Dev streams and also my favorite streamers (G4K and GNS). But let me tell you, as soon as the game comes out, it will be tunnel vision lol. 

2 hours ago, KaldaraFox said:

But you be you.

They did intend to be that way. That why it is alpha. From day 1 A1 has been this way. Code changes and it has to have restart in this kind of game. If you think you going to get a year in A21 you mistaken. Like I said before it will be experimental to start. Then probably another experimental off of that. Maybe even another 1 or 2 after that. Then stable of that version of A21.1 or whatever it will be. Then A21.3 if it makes it that far will do the same. Each time you will most likely have to restart depending on what they add/change. So far from a year and mostly when A21 hits the next experimental update will be less then a month and again will need a restart most likely..... also put all that to the side they said A22 will be roughly 3 months after A21 that it will be a shorter cycle. Even if turns to 6 months still less then a year.... I'm sorry but maybe do some research before buying an early access game if you don't like how they do things. That isn't nobody fault but yourself.

Like I said before no version of alpha has a future besides each alpha version leads closer to a finish game. But until then you will have lots of world restarts my friend. Or don't play until it is finish.

Edited by crazywildfire (see edit history)

26 minutes ago, crazywildfire said:

They did intend to be that way. That why it is alpha. From day 1 A1 has been this way. Code changes and it has to have restart in this kind of game. If you think you going to get a year in A21 you mistaken. Like I said before it will be experimental to start. Then probably another experimental off of that. Maybe even another 1 or 2 after that. Then stable of that version of A21.1 or whatever it will be. Then A21.3 if it makes it that far will do the same. Each time you will most likely have to restart depending on what they add/change. So far from a year and mostly when A21 hits the next experimental update will be less then a month and again will need a restart most likely..... also put all that to the side they said A22 will be roughly 3 months after A21 that it will be a shorter cycle. Even if turns to 6 months still less then a year.... I'm sorry but maybe do some research before buying an early access game if you don't like how they do things. That isn't nobody fault but yourself.

Like I said before no version of alpha has a future besides each alpha version leads closer to a finish game. But until then you will have lots of world restarts my friend. Or don't play until it is finish.

From their history with the console version, "wait until it's finished" seems to be equivalent to "don't buy it at all".

2 hours ago, KaldaraFox said:

But you be you.

And as pointed out, you can continue your game even after A21 is released as stable.  You can play almost all stable versions of the game, so there's no reason you can't continue your A20 game for as long as you want to.  If you don't want to, then that's up to you.  Many people are still playing A20 and will do so up until (and after) A21 experimental comes out.

If you don't want people responding to you beyond a simple "no", then forums are also not really for you either.  You are going to get a response to any question you ask and it will often include additional information to explain the answer.  Most people aren't looking for "no" without any other information.  The other information provides information on how to continue playing A20 longer than a month and also details on how alphas work and information on the current state of A21 and what is expected relating to when it'll be released even though there isn't a date.  That's the type of information you should get in a reply rather than just "no."

But if that's what you want... "No."

As for what they intended, yes, they intend you to play the game and to start a new game when you update to each alpha.  No one suggested any differently.  And that's how everyone plays it.

3 minutes ago, KaldaraFox said:

From their history with the console version, "wait until it's finished" seems to be equivalent to "don't buy it at all".

See now you talking about something totally different. That wasn't them that was TT that went bankrupt. So again do some search before thinking you know it all my friend. 

To add to this to be specific TT sold the console version as a finished game. 

Edited by crazywildfire (see edit history)

1 minute ago, KaldaraFox said:

The console developer went bankrupt.  Not much they can do about that.  They've gotten a new one and are working on a new console release.

4 hours ago, crazywildfire said:

Three months?  I hadn’t heard that one.