Alpha 21 Dev Diary

Roland

15 hours ago, Blake_ said:

They do that by design. The virus does not generate undead people, they are very much alive and hungry. I was wondering when will people's OCD would trigger up on this ! There are different kinds of zombies in many different games. You are saying that you want a particular type of zombie to be recognized as undead like in a D&D fantasy setting, but the truth is that, while this is still pretty much fantasy, they are not really dead, like with the Resident Evil virus, I am Legend, etc. Devs have stated a few times that they have a basic nervous system and can feel a bit ... in a way (hunger, hear, smell, touch).  It's a game ! Cheers !

Well, I hope that's not the case.  There's nothing duller than "virus" zombies.

Look at me, keeping my cool with the OCD bit.  Why, I'm not even mentioning it. 

56 minutes ago, Prydonian said:

Well, I hope that's not the case.  There's nothing duller than "virus" zombies.

Look at me, keeping my cool with the OCD bit.  Why, I'm not even mentioning it. 

Out of curiosity why is a zombie that reacts to pain duller than a zombie that doesn’t?  In my opinion they could leave the pain responses in or take them out and it wouldn’t affect the excitement of the gameplay in the slightest. 

5 hours ago, Roland said:

I don't know. I think iron gut still increases how long you can stay underwater.

That's good to know, here's hoping.

1 hour ago, enragedcamel said:

so when's the patch coming

When it's ready

17 minutes ago, Roland said:

Out of curiosity why is a zombie that reacts to pain duller than a zombie that doesn’t?  In my opinion they could leave the pain responses in or take them out and it wouldn’t affect the excitement of the gameplay in the slightest. 

I just mean conceptually, and for my personal taste.  When it comes to zombie media I like my zombies to be dead.  28 Days Later-style viruses are prosaic for me; gimme the supernatural or total ambiguity and I'm happy.  Plus I don't find anything appealing about shooting loads of sick people. 

Edited by Prydonian (see edit history)

3 hours ago, enragedcamel said:

so when's the patch coming

May is pretty busy when it comes to important Holidays:  Memorial Day and Mother's Day are the two "heavy hitters" so to speak.

But my guess is, it will be released on May 22.  Even though it has such famous holidays as:

Friday May 19:  Pizza Party Day.  (Is this a giveaway it's the week of the 22nd?)

Saturday May 20:  World Whiskey Day.  (The party continues...)

Sunday May 21: Talk Like Yoda Day.  (A salute to streamers everywhere??)

Monday May 22: Biological Diversity Day (Zombies are as Biologically diverse as you can get.. So go get them!!!!!!!!

:)

Edited by Aldranon
spelling, as usual. (see edit history)

I'm kinda hoping for the weekend of the 20th too. It sits between the two Diablo 4 events, it avoids the major holidays and it's soon enough after the end of the dev streams to keep the hype up

But then, if it's just not ready that ruins that

14 hours ago, Riamus said:
15 hours ago, Matsanity said:

Would it be possible to add fishing to this game?  :fish2:

I wouldn't mind it, if done well, but they don't seem interested in adding it from what has been said.

I guess this is farther away than ever before, with the new water behaviour.

They neglected water inhabitant entities in the past for a reason, and now with that new "fake flowing behaviour" I assume it gets even worse to get a fish to behave a way that looks natural (or at least not totally stupid) within that new "pseudo physics".

Just a guess though, please feel free to prove me wrong by adding fish.

Btw we already came to the conclusion that the "food stuff thing" (holding/eating food from hotbar) looks just like smoked glazed salmon. So there already is fish in the game.

16 hours ago, Roland said:

Out of curiosity why is a zombie that reacts to pain duller than a zombie that doesn’t?

I don't think he actually said that. I think he said virus zombies were boring, and I'm inclined to agree....a little.
I mean being chased by crazed, flesh-hungry sick people is just about as exciting as being chased by unholy abominations from the very depths of Hell, but not quite. 😈

Why? In order to remain "Sciency" there's only so much you can do with plague zombies. Oh sure, super nanites from the future, etc. etc. (aka Magic) can 'splain some nifty features, but if you're already suspending disbelief, then save your headshots, because Supernatural zombies aren't animated by nature, science, or even logic. You're likely going to need dynamite to put 'em down, and even that's a big maybe.

...but 7D2D is plague zombies so that's the meat we eat.

-Arch Necromancer Morloc 💀

8 hours ago, Geoarrge said:

It's not a virus, it must be a bacterial infection since antibiotics work on it.

It is a virus that infects the zombies but the infection we get in the game isn’t zombie infection. It’s just regular bacterial infection that gets cured by antibiotics. Most likely our character is immune to the zombie virus. If we die we just get eaten. We don’t turn. 

9 hours ago, Morloc said:

Why? In order to remain "Sciency" there's only so much you can do with plague zombies.

heh..I don’t think the Fun Pimps feel constrained by the supposed limits of plague zombie science. The zombies can already tear through concrete and steel with bare hands. TFP creates and simply says, “Suspend your disbelief of THAT, @%$#es!” LOL

Edited by Roland (see edit history)

Due to several pre-release live streams, players have high expectations for the game, and the longer the game is delayed, the higher the players' expectations and demands for the game quality. This also makes it more likely for players to be disappointed.

3 hours ago, Roland said:

It is a virus that infects the zombies but the infection we get in the game isn’t zombie infection. It’s just regular bacterial infection that gets cured by antibiotics. Most likely our character is immune to the zombie virus. If we die we just get eaten. We don’t turn.

Wait a minute. Is that... LORE? Pretty sure that's illegal.