———AIRPORT———

saoron666

Why there isn’t any airport in the game?

a giant airport with luggage, crashed planes, towers, lobbies, herds of zombies, the runways, cop cars, fire trucks , blinking red lights inside the airport..

could  actually take off or land your helicopter there as well… can be on separate biom  further from the city…

T5 could’ve been there instead of same buildings…  

you have everything in an airport, restaurants, shops, generators  etc… 

it can be really interesting and something new! 
but has to be big, eerie, not a walk in the park! 

I think the reasons are:

1. performance large poi's are very demanding, a 1:1 scale airport is huge, they could scale it down but then it would look like comically small for what it's supposed to be.

2. There is a bug with large prefabs where above a certain size and and view distance setting, the prefabs distant mesh continues to display over the prefab while you're inside it. There is also no logic in RWG to have the prefab split into multiple prefabs and have them line up together to form a larger prefab.

3. I think MM said, but don't quote me, it would be a boring poi since most of it would be an empty run way, while the terminal and traffic control towers make up only a small area and that would be a waste of map space.

2 hours ago, Naz said:

I think the reasons are:

1. performance large poi's are very demanding, a 1:1 scale airport is huge, they could scale it down but then it would look like comically small for what it's supposed to be.

2. There is a bug with large prefabs where above a certain size and and view distance setting, the prefabs distant mesh continues to display over the prefab while you're inside it. There is also no logic in RWG to have the prefab split into multiple prefabs and have them line up together to form a larger prefab.

3. I think MM said, but don't quote me, it would be a boring poi since most of it would be an empty run way, while the terminal and traffic control towers make up only a small area and that would be a waste of map space.

Adding to the technical issues this could bring, MadMole got a point, even if I'd love to have an airport added myself.

But an international-type of airport would indeed be a huge waste of space because there would be nothing on the runways. Yeah of course you could add a crashed airplane (with probably nothing to loot anyways since it would be completely destroyed), but we would still be facing performance issues for the return we would get. A local airport though, that could be nice, pretty much like what already exists in the CompoPack.

Edited by Kyonshi (see edit history)

3 minutes ago, Kyonshi said:

Adding to the technical issues this could bring, MadMole got a point, even if I'd love to have an airport added myself.

But an international-type of airport would indeed be a huge waste of space because there would be nothing on the runways. Yeah of course you could add a crashed airplane (with probably nothing to loot anyways since it would be completely destroyed), but we would still be facing performance issues for the return we would get. A local airport though, that could be nice, pretty much like what already exists in the CompoPack.

Yeah a small airport might work, it would probably still need to be miniaturised. For a single prop aircraft the recommended amount of runway length is 244 metres (according to google anyway XD) if it was 1:1 even that would have a larger footprint than anything ingame atm. Users with low view distance would encounter the distant mesh bug at that size. If they made it 100-150 metres it might look ok and it wouldn't have the mesh bug even on low view distance. However that's still a ton of space taken up for very little gameplay value.

I'm partial to more unique POI's tho so i wouldn't mind if they did it. Although then i wouldn't have any ideas for my own poi's if they did everything. I like to make things that aren't already in the game,, so far i've made a super aircraft carrier (1 server hub version and 1 poi version), vehicles (v22 osprey, f22 lighting 2, blackhawk, ah64 apache, tanks, humves, fuel trucks, rib boats), Lighthouse, Wind turbines and an arena for my server. I'll leave some pics bellow if your curious 😛

Spoiler

yx9kb0g.jpg

kwyQ8j3.jpg

e4O4iaF.jpg

YBhnm0F.jpg

@Naz

There could be a way to circumvent the long runway issue. You build the main airport facilities (assuming we're still talking about a local, single-runway airport and not international-type) on the largest tile available (or maybe a compound of tiles). Control tower, a terminal, a hangar. But you don't put the runway on the tiles. Instead, you program the RWG process to include the airport tiles by the side of a normal portion of road, that would actually imitate the runway.

But that's just technically speaking. As I think about it, a small local airport would just be another commercial/industrial POI but with planes. I'd still be interested, but if we'd ever have an airport in the game, the only kind that would really be appealing and bound to make a difference would be an international size one. Maybe not like JFK, Hartfields-Jackson or O'Hare, but maybe LaGuardia? But anyways, it goes back to what we were saying that it would be to big and waste of space.

Btw, your POIs are @%$#ing phenomenal! Kudos to you sir 👍

Edited by Kyonshi (see edit history)

12 hours ago, saoron666 said:

Why there isn’t any airport in the game?

a giant airport with luggage, crashed planes, towers, lobbies, herds of zombies, the runways, cop cars, fire trucks , blinking red lights inside the airport..

could  actually take off or land your helicopter there as well… can be on separate biom  further from the city…

T5 could’ve been there instead of same buildings…  

you have everything in an airport, restaurants, shops, generators  etc… 

it can be really interesting and something new! 
but has to be big, eerie, not a walk in the park! 

Make one.

Ye you could make a custom settlement made up of tiles for each separate type of feature. Like you said hangars, terminal, towers, roads/runways etc. I haven't played around with tiles yet so i'm not sure how you get them to line up together so it all fits into place to form especially a airport city/settlement.

1 hour ago, Naz said:

For a single prop aircraft the recommended amount of runway length is 244 metres (according to google anyway XD)

It's even worse than that. More like 1000ft/304m (Cessna 150) to 1300ft/396m (Cessna 172). Winds play a factor of course and there are less-common light planes which can fit into 244m/800ft. There are zero public-use airports in the US with a paved runway less than 304m. But still I think an airport POI could be done (Compopack has one or two) if we just sort of hand-wave the runway into rubble after 50 or 100m. Whatever the max POI size is.

4 hours ago, Naz said:

I'd fill the (partial) runway with crashed airframes. Not airliners, but a few prop planes, maybe an exec jet. Pilots turning into zombies mid-flight, that sort of story.

Spoiler

image.png.5621cf06c6c5eda7bbf09a9b9b9090be.png

On 1/12/2022 at 6:49 AM, Naz said:

I think the reasons are:

LAX JFK airports :)

• 9 months later...
On 1/12/2022 at 10:27 AM, Naz said:

Ye you could make a custom settlement made up of tiles for each separate type of feature. Like you said hangars, terminal, towers, roads/runways etc. I haven't played around with tiles yet so i'm not sure how you get them to line up together so it all fits into place to form especially a airport city/settlement.

This is exactly how I would design an airport; Make it a special type of settlement or town, which would have to be generated in a specific way. In fact, I have already been making a series of airport POI's. So far I have over a dozen POI's created including a terminal, two parts for a concourse, five airliners at gates, a vacant gate, two RWG tiles to put it together and more. Put together it looks something like this;

20221017164633_1.thumb.jpg.df22b387e67dcb54b995ca1f0c9ad8bb.jpg

I'm hoping to continue on and create an entire airport over time. If you like what you see, check out some more of my Steam screenshots;

https://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561197966986156/screenshots/

@Roland u should check this out , nice airport!

Oh woow @AH64_Jimbo !!!! you should show this to the fun pimps!!!! and they should intergrade this into the A21 or something...

its amazing man, great job!!! you need the cars to that takes passengers to the plane or the airport to come off..

some police cars.. luggage's around... fires.. red lights.. basements, hangars..

this could be HUGE, a real mission lvl 5 or even 6 !

On 1/12/2022 at 8:55 AM, Naz said:

I'm partial to more unique POI's tho so i wouldn't mind if they did it. Although then i wouldn't have any ideas for my own poi's if they did everything. I like to make things that aren't already in the game,, so far i've made a super aircraft carrier (1 server hub version and 1 poi version), vehicles (v22 osprey, f22 lighting 2, blackhawk, ah64 apache, tanks, humves, fuel trucks, rib boats), Lighthouse, Wind turbines and an arena for my server. I'll leave some pics bellow if your curious 😛

Those are truly amazing POIs. I especially like the Super Carrier.

One idea regarding the long runways taking up too much space...

First, limit the POI to not appear in the forest biome because grass isn't likely to look okay for this idea, though you could try it.

Then, have part of the runway fully asphalt and then start to fill in parts of it with snow, sand, or wasteland debris blocks instead of asphalt (I believe they change automatically by biome placement). Randomly add in the snow, sand, or debris so it appears as if it is covering parts of the runway.  Slowly increase the amount of this as you get further until there is no asphalt left.  You can even add a few individual asphalt blocks as if it is showing through in a few places at the end.

Obviously players can't decide to clear the runway other than to replace blocks with asphalt, but it gives the look of a full runway that just got covered up without needing so much space.

You then set it to only appear on the outskirts so it doesn't look like other POI buildings are on the runway.  I am not certain if you can get the RWG to put something on the edge of town, so this might require custom maps.  I'd say to put it in the wilderness, but then it could be easy too far from a town to make sense.

Edited by Riamus (see edit history)

• 3 months later...

@saoron666 You want an airport? You got it! I've nearly finished adding an airport to a vanilla-generated 10K map.

Featuring

* Dozens of new prefabs including;

- Two types of crashed aircraft that can be found in the wilderness

- Runways and taxiways with appropriate markings

- Two Tier 1 POI aircraft

- Two Tier 2 POI aircraft

- One Tier 3 POI aircraft

- One Hangar POI, of which there are 3 placed instances on this map

- Remnant Hangar

- Remnant Aircraft

- Back-to-back connected Concourse-halves, each half being a Tier 4 POI in their own right

- A Giant Tier 5 Terminal POI that is about 50% bigger than Dishong Tower (Though Dishong Tower still holds the record for tallest POI)

There is a hitch; I've run into a game-breaking problem where the nearby trader stops giving quests. More details on that in this post.

I'm working on getting the issue sorted, though. In the meantime, enjoy these screenshots!

image.thumb.jpeg.f1d88c26ad7b410a3ada7311fb52f665.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.36b0125daecfc8df9246f78d6a82a762.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.7de9cb170192beaaf41b75f6439be9bc.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.e7ab69266d09925a2fa385ebc2e1081c.jpeg

On 10/18/2022 at 6:27 PM, Riamus said:

Randomly add in the snow, sand, or debris so it appears as if it is covering parts of the runway.  Slowly increase the amount of this as you get further until there is no asphalt left.  You can even add a few individual asphalt blocks as if it is showing through in a few places at the end.

On 10/19/2022 at 7:24 AM, canadianbluebeer said:

Putting it in the wasteland and have the rubble continue the runway after a certain point would make sense.

(sand dunes in the desert or snow drifts   also work.  Forest , naww.)

Or, just have a large lake (eg crater from big bomb)  where the runways would be.

:)

The game itself fixes the issue of a shoddy-looking runway. I used concrete terrain (not the concrete cube blocks) for the runway and low and behold, the game added debris relevant to the biome itself!

image.thumb.jpeg.a509c67e72a389aff90046ed5f770559.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.111894bce0949bd417833018e527ce55.jpeg

Same with the taxiways, which I used asphalt; It treats it like roads, and places garbage (including dead cars) that you would find on any other road.

image.thumb.jpeg.3e7fd596005a0781cf49335d964b10cf.jpeg

That's not to say that other wilderness POIs couldn't be placed on runway RWG tiles, or that the runways themselves could also be cratered.

As far as long runways go, I placed this on a large, flat plot of empty desert, so nothing was really lost anyway.