What changes do you make to the game for personal enjoyment?

Limdood

I realize that almost every alpha, I go into the XMLs and make a few edits...and they're always pretty much the same edits.

- Starting skill points (by altering the "4" value on the skill points given by the tutorial quest) increased (in quests.xml)...so that I can do basic human things without needing to knock in 20 zombie heads each revelation (like figuring out that meat cooks on a grill, or that corn can be stuck back in the ground to get more)

- vehicle speed increase and set normal speed = to sprint speed (in vehicles.xml, by altering vehicle velocity)...because it takes forever to get anywhere and I find travel time boring as heck

- increase the stack sizes of almost everything, a very very significant amount (in items.xml, just "find next" on "Stacksize" and increase anything that isn't set to 1)....because if they're going to make zombies bullet sponges, I'd rather not have several crates just to hold bullets for each type of gun...and if we're going to need to eat 12 round meals a day due to healing factor consuming food, then I need to be able to carry more at once.

- increase crafting quality to 6, at max rank in the relevant skill (in progression.xml by changing the last number in the "value" field after "CraftingTier" for each relevant skill)....because I'd like something other to do with the ridiculous number of parts that I accumulate, always only AFTER I have a Q5+ item than sell them...at least with this I can craft to gamble on higher stats....and I can actually get Q6 military stealth boots that otherwise don't exist in the game.

I realize many people play with significant mods that completely change the game, and I wouldn't mind hearing about those too, but mainly I'm wondering, for those other people that play a "mostly vanilla, but not completely vanilla" game, what do you all change with each new patch...or even just with this alpha?

I use a lot of mods, but they mostly only change one type of thing each. I prefer that modular approach instead of overhauls, because I really like the vanilla game, I just like to tweak stuff here and there.

I have a bigger backpack mod (AGF's mod). I loot with wild abandon, and I've just played way too many RPGs and survival games to find inventory management the least bit compelling. LOL I still end up having to drop / scrap stuff but it helps.

I use mods to have storage containers like sinks, cabinets, etc to hold a lot more items (Saminal's mods), and also to add more decorative items to craft (Saminal and Telric). Some of those deco mods add new items, but most of what I use is in the game but not normally craftable, and I prefer to craft items rather than using the CM to get them. I have a mod with working faucets. I also like working appliances because I need a nice kitchen. (Yeah, I feel like every other post I make on here manages to mention my kitchens. LOL) 

Other stuff, I switch up quite a bit based on my mood when I'm starting a save. Sometimes I want more skill points. Sometimes I disable blood moon, sometimes I start with it off and turn it on once I've decided what I want to do. Sometimes I start with it on set it to 7 days, other times 30. These days I almost always play with modded long days (3hrs - Red Eagle's mod) and 300% XP. I used to play with 200% loot but I was only doing that for eggs and honey so now I'm just using mods (from JaxTeller718, who also made the working appliances mod I'm using) that increase the drops of those two items a bit., and dropped loot back to 100% I also recently installed a mod to make sewing kits craftable. 

I set the land claim deadzone to 0 so that I can build next to the trader if I desire, and also to minimize interference with quest locations. I have a mod that allows more claim blocks (Red Eagle)

I have the Bushcraft Bites mod (Arramus) for some more early food option. I also have JaxTeller718's Canned Foods mod but I haven't yet used it. (As I've gotten used to the new stuff in A20, along with new mods I want to try... I've been starting over a lot. LOL)

I also have Telric's Fishing 2.0 installed. I'm currently building a pond next to my house to facilitate safer fishing. :D I haven't caught anything but old boots so far but I'm gonna go get some better bait later today. 

I think I got AGF's backpack from Nexus, but almost all of my mods were found here on the forums.

Edited by Mahnogard
added a modder's name that I missed (see edit history)

Lockable inventory slots. Truely a gamechanger. That way the sorting buttons really make sense. I can unload my whole inventory with a few clicks while keeping the things i always have on me. 

Sams working stuff. Sinks that give water (i do restrict myself to not use that before day 28 though) and ovens where you can cook in (It´s the same as the campfire, just looks nicer). Also includes all lights in the game, ofc only if you have power. 

2x or 3x spawn modlet. Not sure yet, i want to play a bit with the normal spawnrate before i deceide that. (When will we finally get the slider in the menu back for that? @TheFunPimps)

And once they are out for A20, ofc KingGen map generator for the nicer maps (even though generation is better now, it still lacks a lot of options that KingGen has, like not beeing able to guarantee the spawn of all T5 POI´s at least once) and compopack for a lot more different POI´s including a ton of T5 POI´s.

Edited by pApA^LeGBa (see edit history)

7 hours ago, pApA^LeGBa said:

Lockable inventory slots. Truely a gamechanger. That way the sorting buttons really make sense. I can unload my whole inventory with a few clicks while keeping the things i always have on me. 

THIS THIS THIS THIS.  First mod I install and I feel completely naked without it.

7 hours ago, pApA^LeGBa said:

And once they are out for A20, ofc KingGen map generator for the nicer maps (even though generation is better now, it still lacks a lot of options that KingGen has, like not beeing able to guarantee the spawn of all T5 POI´s at least once) and compopack for a lot more different POI´s including a ton of T5 POI´s.

I have 3 or 4 out of 85 with all 8 tier 5's somewhere on the world(check the seed thread for generation details as well as links to high res previews).  

SilvanBeings

SnowiestDrowners

BrandedCommissaries

Just a few changes:

1) Pull the night time "mood" music out. I find it a really cheesy way of trying to build tension. And it is so loud I can't hear zombies running right next to me sometimes.

2) Change "crosshaironaim" to false.

3) Got rid of vulture turbo mode when you're in a vehicle.

4) Made vehicles slightly faster. Boosted motorcycle speed to be faster than 4x4 so it is worth using.

When I start up again I'm probably going to add the one of the "horde anytime" types of mods. Or just up the numbers in the wandering hordes numbers myself by editing the xmls. After a few horde nights I get bored of them and turn them off, it'd be nice to still have dangerous hordes show up from time to time though.

Currently I am using the random wandering hordes mod from Khaine and I am loving it. Wandering horde at any time and of any size.

Most stuff mentioned here makes the game easier which I don't like. The "lockable inventory slots" mod, however, sounds convenient. Where do I get it to give it a try?

55 minutes ago, Fenris said:

1) Pull the night time "mood" music out. I find it a really cheesy way of trying to build tension. And it is so loud I can't hear zombies running right next to me sometimes.

Can you tell me how you do this? While playing last night it annoyed me even more than usual, especially since I no longer play with headphones because 'phones make my tinnitus more noticeable.

21 minutes ago, Mahnogard said:

Can you tell me how you do this? While playing last night it annoyed me even more than usual, especially since I no longer play with headphones because 'phones make my tinnitus more noticeable.

This was copied directly from the forums awhile ago, so I take no credit for it lol. In short I use the "Unity Assets Bundle Extractor" and remove a_night_oneshot1.wav, a_night_oneshot2.wav, a_night_oneshot3.wav, a_night_oneshot4.wav, a_night_oneshot5.wav, and a_night_oneshot6.wav from the resources.assests file. This worked fine for A19, haven't started up A20 yet so dont know if anything has changed. And unfortunately it appears as though the link for the Unity Assets Bundle Extractor no longer works, but I feel like I've seen it recently on the forums here not to long ago. Anyway, here is what I copied:

"WARNING: Modifying files can violate multiplayer EAC protected servers, so please do this if you play single player or you have checked with the server you play on that the following method of removing sound files is allowed. Getting banned and listed would be very unfortunate for some sound files.

The night time creepy music is located in the 'resources.assets' file located:

C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\SteamApps\common\7 Days To Die\7DaysToDie_Data (or wherever you've installed the game files).

You can download and replace my updated 'resource.assets' file. Or you can remove the sound files manually, instructions below. Please make a backup copy of original before replacing just in case.

My resource.assets file without night spooky music, the 10pm nighttime and 4am morning warning sounds are also removed:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1ehh...ew?usp=sharing

If you want to do it manually, you will need to download Unity Assets Bundle Extractor to be able to open 'resource.assets' file:

https://forums.7daystodie.com/forum/...ractor/page42=

There's a search path name function in the AssetBundleExtractor. under Options > Search by name.

Every update puts the spooky music back in so you will need to replace the file every time. I'm not a modder/coder so there's probably an easier way but this is just how I do it.

Remove the night time music path names:

a_night_oneshot1.wav
a_night_oneshot2.wav
a_night_oneshot3.wav
a_night_oneshot4.wav
a_night_oneshot5.wav
a_night_oneshot6.wav

Remove the morning and night alert music:

a_daybreak_oneshot.wav"

4 minutes ago, Fenris said:

And unfortunately it appears as though the link for the Unity Assets Bundle Extractor no longer works, but I feel like I've seen it recently on the forums here not to long ago.

Thank you for all of that! And I found the new page on the forum via the UABE github page. I'll drop both the links here for anyone else that wants to try it out.  A lot of pages got their links broken back when the forum switched over.  I have an extra clean install via the mod launcher that I can test it out on later. 

https://github.com/DerPopo/UABE

Currently I am using the following:

• JaxTeller's Harsher Death and Food Penalties, 2x increase spawning rate
  • Khaine's HP bars and wandering hordes
  • My own modlet that I am currently testing / modifying that removes recipe unlocks via progression, nerfs T0 equipment, reduces the chances of finding Q3Plus equipment in loot, makes changes to traders (only Q6 equipment at higher prices, different hours of operation), and brought back Q6 crafting (requires a new perk to spend points into as I nerfed the other perks to T1-Q3, T2-Q2, T3-Q1 max).

3 hours ago, PoloPoPo said:

Currently I am using the random wandering hordes mod from Khaine and I am loving it. Wandering horde at any time and of any size.

Most stuff mentioned here makes the game easier which I don't like. The "lockable inventory slots" mod, however, sounds convenient. Where do I get it to give it a try?

Khaines Modlets. https://community.7daystodie.com/topic/25751-khaines-a20-modlets-bigger-backpacks-lockable-slots-behemoths-random-wandering-hordes-etc/

Well, exactly the link you posted already. 😛

Edited by pApA^LeGBa (see edit history)

while you will laugh, this is the one thing i change because of principle.

bacon and eggs.... notice the name is "bacon and eggs" so why does the recipe take 5 damn pcs of meat and 1 egg and the pic/icon shows 4 slices of bacon and only 1 egg.

so i fixed my recipe to use same amount needed but grants you 2 bacon and eggs "s" meaning plural.

Edited by unholyjoe
fixed the bacon amount error (see edit history)

- Remove crosshair while ADS/Scoped

- Change melee crosshair to a simple small dot

- Custom scope reticles I made, different ones for different weapons

- Faster vehicles because default is way too slow and I like exploring

- More zombie spawns

- Some type of electricity mod that gives me more light options, lets me change colors, and lets me mess with POI lights. Current version I'm loving the "Electricity MOAR POI User Lights" mod.

- Lockable inventory slots
- Add solar panels/cells to max rank advanced engineering

2 hours ago, Fenris said:

And I found a thread for the Unity Assets Bundle Extractor ..... looks like it might not work on A20 🤬

Yea I usually replace the melee crosshair texture with a simple dot but I can't do that atm, UABE doesn't seem to work for this version :(

15 minutes ago, unholyjoe said:

bacon and eggs.... notice the name is "bacon and eggs" so why does the recipe take 5 damn pcs of meat and 1 egg and the pic/icon shows 3 slices of bacon and only 1 egg.

Someone is getting to your bacon and eggs first.  I see 4 strips of bacon there.  Someone is snatching one off of your plate  😉

2 hours ago, pApA^LeGBa said:

@unholyjoe can we pls get the old one back? It´s horrible. Somehow sounds like you hit a compressed piece of aluminum foil.

i have submitted a ticket on this, that is all i can do for now.

just do what i do for now... use my stone axe until its fixed.... :)

Happy New Years to all who will celebrate.. be safe and cya next year! :)  as it is 11:30 pm for me in central usa.

On 12/31/2021 at 3:43 AM, Limdood said:

- Starting skill points (by altering the "4" value on the skill points given by the tutorial quest) increased (in quests.xml)...so that I can do basic human things without needing to knock in 20 zombie heads each revelation (like figuring out that meat cooks on a grill, or that corn can be stuck back in the ground to get more)

I always wondered why the survivors have literally 1s in all stats, basically the least likely people to survive a zombie apocalypse. All the mechanics, farmers, hunters, cops, military and whatever all went first I guess, very few games start with a 1 in every type system and I reckon some starting points (or this hack) is a much better way to go.

Edited by Survior (see edit history)

I add +3 to +5 to all zombie counts in spawning.xml and also greatly reduce the respawn times. I want zombies all over all the time when outside.

I also increase all vehicle speeds except the Bicycle a little, especially the Gyro (we set max velocity 20), and make the Motorcycle faster than the 4x4

Edited by Ghostlight (see edit history)