An idea for an INT build from start: viable?

BenjenIsBack

Good day to all you readers,

this is my first post and I need the opinion of more expert people in the game regarding an idea for a base for a day 7 horde (with modifications for later).

Going with int to unlock lvl 3 advanced engineering to get:

a base in Cobblestone not on ground level but with pillars below and normal ladders to get to it, so that zombie will use the ladder and get into a corridor where at the end of it there is the actual door with some iron bars to shoot. Also in the corridor I would like to put 2 dart traps and an electric fence (so fence shocks zombies and dart trap kills them).

To do so I would need lots of stone and clay for the structure itself (cobblestone) and then: 2 electric fences, 1 generator, 1 engine, 2 dart traps, 2 motion sensor, 1000 iron darts, 1 forge, a workbench, 1 claw hammer (for the workbench) and 2 wrenches (1 for the workbench).

Then I would need to collect lots of stone, clay, some mech and electrical parts (about 50-60 each) less than 20 leather, 15 duct tape (i can also create it), 3000 iron, 3 short iron pipes, 9 forged steel and 165 forged iron or alternatively more iron and clay (2000ish iron and 1000ish more clay).

Points wise I would spend all in int and advanced engineering until lvl 10 and 5 respectively, then go for strenght and its perks with shotgun perks, sex tyrex and miner 69 but that would be late game. If by day 4 or 5 I get a claw hammer drop good, else 1 point early in miner69, also same for wrench (point in salvage). So the only luck based element is finding some forged steel for the wire tool and some mech parts to make the first wrench if none drops. Do you pros think such a base with those required materials to get in time can be done by day 7? If not what would you change? I welcome any suggestion!

Thank you in advance 

Edited by BenjenIsBack (see edit history)

• BenjenIsBack changed the title to An idea for an INT build from start: viable?

I would change the requirement to have your base complete by day 7.

For example fence and dart traps are advanced traps you need in late game and are quite OP in the 7th day horde, I tend to build up my horde bases in stages and often have different bases for early and end game

If you see it as a sort of challenge, please disregard my objection.

38 minutes ago, meganoth said:

I would change the requirement to have your base complete by day 7.

For example fence and dart traps are advanced traps you need in late game and are quite OP in the 7th day horde, I tend to build up my horde bases in stages and often have different bases for early and end game

If you see it as a sort of challenge, please disregard my objection.

No it is not about challenge, it is about how to fight the horde. With an int build, what weapon are u going to use for the first blood moon? Are u just gonna go on the roof of a building and pray it does not collapse before 4 am? How do u deal with it? Unless of course drops help with guns or similar but that aint guaranteed. I am trying to avoid to spread the points in all the trees so that’s the hard part.

1 hour ago, BenjenIsBack said:

No it is not about challenge, it is about how to fight the horde. With an int build, what weapon are u going to use for the first blood moon? Are u just gonna go on the roof of a building and pray it does not collapse before 4 am? How do u deal with it? Unless of course drops help with guns or similar but that aint guaranteed. I am trying to avoid to spread the points in all the trees so that’s the hard part.

I converted one of the demolished buildings for my base and was using a bow for the first several horde nights.  No dart traps, no electric fences.  Just spikes and barbed wire.

Perk wise, I had them spread out (one in Master Chef, one in Living off the land, one for salvaging) so I couldn't push to Advanced Engineering 3 for Day 7 (I also took Roland's suggestion and just cancelled the starter quests so I didn't have the first 4 free perks)....but Day 7 hordes are not that difficult to fight against as long as you have a base in progress (at that point, it was mostly wood blocks with cobblestone being critical ones) that you can defend from.

4 hours ago, BenjenIsBack said:

Last time I played vanilla I fought the first horde night on the upper floor of a small wooden(!) house that I adapted and strengthened with about 2 dozens of block upgrades to cobblestone. I used a bow to shoot at the zombies, and a hunting rifle from time to time. I also had a melee turret standing beside the door of the house. And I used a bunch of molotovs I got as a quest reward I think.

Like a typical 7th day horde it was over before 1 o'clock in the morning. The damage to the wooden house was minimal, I could easily have lasted until 4 am without the house collapsing. If you are not sure about that, simply prepare a backup house to fllee to, but it should not really be necessary.

Edited by meganoth (see edit history)

I would build ramps that lead to the entrance of your elevated kill corridor instead of ladders. Zombies are impatient critters and on horde night, instead of standing patiently waiting for the ones ahead of them to get out of their way off the ladders they will start bashing and pretty soon you have no ladders and then they have no access to you and they start bashing on the pillars supporting your structure.

Ramps are also going to keep your base out of trouble with OSHA ;)

4 hours ago, meganoth said:

Last time I played vanilla I fought the first horde night on the upper floor of a small wooden(!) house that I adapted and strengthened with about 2 dozens of block upgrades to cobblestone. I used a bow to shoot at the zombies, and a hunting rifle from time to time. I also had a melee turret standing beside the door of the house. And I used a bunch of molotovs I got as a quest reward I think.

Like a typical 7th day horde it was over before 1 o'clock in the morning. The damage to the wooden house was minimal, I could easily have lasted until 4 am without the house collapsing. If you are not sure about that, simply prepare a backup house to fllee to, but it should not really be necessary.

Just the other day I played a day 7 horde night on A20. All I had thus far was a pipe rifle, a pipe shotgun, and the wood spears and bow I had crafted. I filled the doors with cobblestone and the top level of any 2 meter windows so that only 1 meter openings existed.  I was able to easily fend them off for the night with my spears at those windows and occasional shotgun blasts and rifle shots while keeping cobblestone rocks in my pack to make repairs. It was a fun night. I should mention I also had some molotovs from a quest reward and I threw a couple of those but had to drink some quick water after the second throw...

https://ibb.co/TvnBWRd

So as u can see, is somewhat possible. I was kinda lucky because:

1) trader had working work bench so no need to create my own yet

2)dropped a wrench

3)dropped a wire tool

it is still work in progress though, as you can see the structure is mostly wood blocks and wood frames cause no time to get more resources to upgrade. I did not have enough dart traps (only about 280) which ended pretty quickly but I had the impression they missed too often. After the dart finished I used a pistol I bought from the trader but had not enough ammo so later I switched to bow and arrows. I might try dart traps from the ceiling or from in front of the zombies, which one would be better? also I was thinking a blade trap from the ceiling and moving the electric fence 1 block down so 1 block tall zombies (dogs and spiders) also get hit. Any further suggestions?
And again, thank you for your help!

The branch of the intellect is already too strong, so I don’t understand what to think about here. Barter and Adventurer are totally overpowered broken perks. Electric fence and darts are able to stop any wave with almost no help from you. Well, everything is clear with transport. Intelligence clearly requires a nerf, but they also adding a flying high-tech AI robot, which will surely be OP too. haha

9 hours ago, bachgaman said:

The branch of the intellect is already too strong, so I don’t understand what to think about here. Barter and Adventurer are totally overpowered broken perks. Electric fence and darts are able to stop any wave with almost no help from you. Well, everything is clear with transport. Intelligence clearly requires a nerf, but they also adding a flying high-tech AI robot, which will surely be OP too. haha

Possibly, because it autoheals you and as it is tier3 the autoheal will be no trifle. BUT it will have no offensive capabilities.

Edited by meganoth (see edit history)

Dart traps when done right,  work very very well.

Mind you, you will need some points in mining to feed the things.

In solo, I do a dart trap base that can handle insane amounts of zeds. Makes horde night rather boring.

(so much so, may as well turn if off)

Of course, the base I do is kind of overkill.  :D

How it will work in a20 with the changes, dunno yet.  (but I will test it out)

The traps by themselves aren't OP,  but when you have 60 of'em as well as the electric fences....

That much work to build said base *should* be very very very strong.

(said it before, do the math on how much iron you need to stock 60 dart traps)

:D

Not to mention just building them, and the base (upgraded to steel. hint: over 10k steel req)

It even looks cool when painted and lit with torches.   heh.

Int / Per is my favorite build to play.  Its alittle old (A18) but much of the strategy still applies in A19.  I have a video series of horde nights I recorded from Day 14 through 63 (See playlist link below).  Some details in the video descriptions.  Maybe it will inspire you with some ideas for your own base.

Edited by Laz Man (see edit history)

If you're playing vanilla settings, I actually think Int is the strongest start. I did it once on a server I joined (MP), I made so much more money and resources than my brother who joined with me. (Playing fort) I was rolling in dukes and buying anything I needed. Then, once I had everything I needed, the 30k respec potion, I was buying for 10k. I brought about 5 of them, and just messed around until server restart. But starting Int allowed me to have so much flexibility and resources that the game no longer required much effort. Just buy what I need, and forget about farming resources. I would even use respec potions to go back to int for selling and then just switch back to my regular build. I'd easily make back the required 20k for respecs.