A19e Nitrogen - UNSTABLE

Damocles

Hey Damocles, thx once again for the new update, the tool improves constantly ;)

I've wanted to ask if you could make some settings available to edit such as :

-The min/max numbers of traders,towns,cities...

-The biome % if possible, i still do my custom biomes but hope for more options in "vanilla Nitro" still i love the snow on top of mountains.

-water lvl : i want it at 50 or such

-Min/Max Height of towns/cities/alone/moutain/snow and why not the rest, i only make custom maps with lots of elevations it will help.

yeah basically i want to be able to edit all standard settings one by one i know.

Obviously you can make those settings available via txt/xml or such it don't need to be on the nitro interface that you found already complicate (i don't :p )

I've noticed than roads often have patches of grass in them which is no problem, but on one of my map a friend died to a mine which was on one of those patches On the road, let's say he was salty since he plays permadeath xD i often reworks splatmap a bit since, but it would be nice to have both kind roads available imo :)

I'm a great fan and really love your Generator (especially after testing 17.4 RWG for 2 weeks...).

BIG Thank You Once Again For The New Update...

Currently Testing 16K Experimental MapGen.

Going 2 Be Running On The Following System:

AMD Ryzen 7 2700X 4.5GHz

32GB DDR 4 3000

Aorus B450 Elite

Samsung Evo 970+ 500GB M.2

Will report back once testing is done.

Very Nice Job With The NitoGen!

What The **** Is With The Sunken World ? Tested It Once And Hated It... Just Horrible... ;)

Hey Damocles, thx once again for the new update, the tool improves constantly ;)

I've wanted to ask if you could make some settings available to edit such as :

-The min/max numbers of traders,towns,cities...

-The biome % if possible, i still do my custom biomes but hope for more options in "vanilla Nitro" still i love the snow on top of mountains.

-water lvl : i want it at 50 or such

-Min/Max Height of towns/cities/alone/moutain/snow and why not the rest, i only make custom maps with lots of elevations it will help.

yeah basically i want to be able to edit all standard settings one by one i know.

Obviously you can make those settings available via txt/xml or such it don't need to be on the nitro interface that you found already complicate (i don't :p )

I've noticed than roads often have patches of grass in them which is no problem, but on one of my map a friend died to a mine which was on one of those patches On the road, let's say he was salty since he plays permadeath xD i often reworks splatmap a bit since, but it would be nice to have both kind roads available imo :)

I'm a great fan and really love your Generator (especially after testing 17.4 RWG for 2 weeks...).

I think I will push several variables to a config file, to separate them from the code then.

I built a quick chart to expose City / Town / Trader counts for the 4k and 8k maps and approximate sizes of those features. It has been really useful when trying to fine tune custom maps with mask seeds.

Cities_Towns.JPG.fa3eaf52c43deeda3adde28d51270b80.JPG

This doesn't seem to be perfect, which I think has a lot to do with available space. If your map doesn't have a lot of space below the 65 height, you'll get less cities (or maybe they'll overlap each other, so you can't tell). In any case, this should help you get an idea of what % of your land space will end up devoted to town and city features, so you can get a good balance of open wilderness vs high-density POI area.

This data comes from v0.30 alpha

Explanation of the above.

If you take a 4k map, and set Lots of Large Cities, and Lots of Large Towns, you'll get somewhere in the neighborhood of 3.6 million sq meters of City and 3 mil sq m of Towns, which is about 39.5% of the 16.7 million sq meters of total space on the map.

Whereas if you select minimum sizes and quantities, you'll only have ~250k sq m in 1 City and 62k sq m in 1 Town. That only results in about 1.8% of available space.

Damocles

I personally love the Old style of roads .. asphalt and grass .. makes it seem so much more real .. There is No one to maintain them .. just wish there were a bit more of them.

I've been making several 12288 map and they are working really well so far .. but tried to add DF and RH prefablist.txt and messed them u pretty much .. went back to your set-up .. until I figure out what I did wrong .. Had hardly any building in the city and I was trying to do many and Large .. just didn't work out.

But I'm loving the maps that I've made so far with Nitrogen .. Just wanted to let you Know. … the Old Gamer .. :02.47-tranquillity:

As always .. Have Fun and Enjoy

Damocles,

Is there a specific distance that Towns/Cities have to be from each other? I'm trying to do something pretty specific and not getting quite what I want.

My server wants a single, large wasteland crater in the center of the map, surrounded by (all the) cities. Merged up together so they appear to be a single massive city with a nuked-out center. I'm using a custom height map and mask with City and Town seeds.

My problem is that when cities' seeds get close enough, it ignores them and places some of them elsewhere on the map. It looks like if they are closer than approx 1k or 1100 pixels on both x and y coordinates. I'm using a 4k map with Many, Large cities and Large Towns.

I can get pretty close by intermixing City and Town spawns, but its still not quite right. If you could tell me the actual distance required, I can map it out to the pixel and get what I need, I think.

In the meantime, keep up the awesome work!

The easiest way I've found is to create a "dummy world" using whatever seed and game name you want. Once it's done, delete everything out of the "dummy world" folder that was created, then replace it with your Nitrogen world files and restart the server using the seed and game name you used to create the "dummy world". It will then look in that folder and start the game with your NitroGen map of choice.

Damn, what a great idea, never even thought of that!

So simple and worked great, got the new map working with ease :D

Outstanding, thanks :)

Damocles,

Is there a specific distance that Towns/Cities have to be from each other? I'm trying to do something pretty specific and not getting quite what I want.

My server wants a single, large wasteland crater in the center of the map, surrounded by (all the) cities. Merged up together so they appear to be a single massive city with a nuked-out center. I'm using a custom height map and mask with City and Town seeds.

My problem is that when cities' seeds get close enough, it ignores them and places some of them elsewhere on the map. It looks like if they are closer than approx 1k or 1100 pixels on both x and y coordinates. I'm using a 4k map with Many, Large cities and Large Towns.

I can get pretty close by intermixing City and Town spawns, but its still not quite right. If you could tell me the actual distance required, I can map it out to the pixel and get what I need, I think.

In the meantime, keep up the awesome work!

Remember to only use SINGLE dots to mark a city.

Its a very simple system, it scans for all pixels, and considers those a new city. If there are several in a blob, the generator tries to create all cities on the same spot, thus pushing the other POIs out to free terrain. If all dots where "used" it will spawn new towns/cities at a random position.

The scanner will use the dots scanning from the top left corner... best is to only use as many dots as you want cities or towns to spawn, so you have more control.

The yellow color is just there for convenience to paint around the dots, to make them easier to see in the mask. Yellow gets ignored.

The generator spawn all POIs of a city/town at once, then continues with the next city/town. (first cities, then towns, then traders and smaller settlements)

The POIs in a settement will keep a distance from another settlements POIs. Dont remember now, something like 30 pixels or so (to keep between the POIs outer bounds). So the city centers should be something like 500 pixels apart at least from each others to have enough space. Else the POIs might wrap around the other settlement.

Its mainly depends on how much space the POIs use up (when selecting larger cities, they will use up more space on average then).

Those are the max elevations cities and towns want to spawn at (average hight of the area)

cityTerrainCheckMaxElevation=65;

townTerrainCheckMaxElevation=75;

so try to keep the elevation below 66 at the locations where you want your cities. (I think the spawn-mask overwrites that check for elevation)

Here the current raw values for the number of cities and towns to spawn:

tCities=new float[]{0,0.8f,1.4f,2f,3f,4.5f}; //rounded up

tTowns=new int[]{0,1,2,4,7,10};

"none","very few","few","default","many","lots"

-> per 4k area, so an 8k map has 4 times the amounts, etc

at "default", on an 8K map it would spawn 4 * 2 = 8 cities

and "default" for towns: 4 * 4 = 16 towns

"many" for towns = 4 * 7 = 28 towns

Edited by Damocles (see edit history)

I have my cities about 1k apart, almost to the pixel.

Detected city spawn at 2499.0 1500.0

Detected city spawn at 1501.0 1501.0

Detected city spawn at 1499.0 2500.0

Detected city spawn at 2500.0 2500.0

Now, I only get 3 cities because its a 4k on Many, but I would expect it to be the top two, and one of the bottom ones. Instead I get top right, bottom left, and a randomly placed.

I have everything else turned off so nothing interferes. My height map, for testing purposes, is basically entirely flat with a few craters and reference points.

It wont let me attach multiple images, but here's the Preview it produces, scaled down to fit size constraints of the board.

previewMap.jpg.2879ff4cb375fd126e4284cfb038a51a.jpg

So it looks like there isn't an easy answer, and its based on what POIs get placed where and if they have enough buffer space at that point. I'll try inching them apart 30 pixels at a time until it takes it.

import_HM.jpg.4415625eb54e7875ed003e2f22065399.jpg

Towns don't seem to have this check. They're more than happy to overlap, which is great for me. Also City vs Town don't seem to either. So I'm able to fill in the gaps with towns, and get closer to what I want.

previewMap.jpg.db04aa08c0df846f416c3e9e08252924.jpg

I think my central crater needs to be larger, though. Its smaller than a single Large city, which means surrounding it with cities make it look tiny by comparison.

In any case, this can get me there. Just going to be a bear to do it on 8k for the final one. Trial and error is easy on 10 sec gen, but tedious on 4-5 min gen.

Here, I've made something similar using a mask.

4k map. It encloses the crater with towns and cities.

The city and town spawners are placed in a circle around the crater area, and the middle is masked off.

(its not a crater but a plateau here, but just imaging a crater in the middle, important is that the center is makes off)

cratercity.jpg

Hello, a bit newbie with this tool and it's an amazing tool that I enjoyed so far.

I was wondering if there was a easy way to set biome weights? I'm not quite good at making my own but was trying to make a 16k x 16k with quite a bit of green with the other biomes a bit smaller around the map.

Thanks

Edit: I played with some settings seems to be mostly forest now :) I think I had to many hills before and such :)

Edited by Kane Hart (see edit history)

Hello, a bit newbie with this tool and it's an amazing tool that I enjoyed so far.

I was wondering if there was a easy way to set biome weights? I'm not quite good at making my own but was trying to make a 16k x 16k with quite a bit of green with the other biomes a bit smaller around the map.

Thanks

Edit: I played with some settings seems to be mostly forest now :) I think I had to many hills before and such :)

The landscape and biomes selections allow you to play around with the biome types to spawn.

You can increase the wasteland and burned fores amount there. In the landscape you can select to have more deserts.

Mountains will spawn 50% snowy mountains and 50% forest mountains. (to have some variation)

I can add some more controls to biomes in the future. But I want to keep it from being just a random biome pattern as in the RWG.

So biomes should correspond to the landscape they are in.

Added the option to have snow in the north and deserts in the south.

Also options to smooth out the terrain more (makes it look more gamy but easier to drive around in the wilderness)

Traders are connected to the road network. Makes it a bit easier to travel to a remote trader.

(Next version)

Added the option to have snow in the north and deserts in the south.

Also options to smooth out the terrain more (makes it look more gamy but easier to drive around in the wilderness)

Traders are connected to the road network. Makes it a bit easier to travel to a remote trader.

(Next version)

Oh god now I have to wait haha <3 That sounds awesome in all ways.

That was sort what I wanted biome wise rather then just random or green with patches of random was more of area of biomes sort of like a temperature belt. Wonder if you can quickly throw a more central spawn point? Some way to allow the player spawn say in the green zone instead of desert / snow. Suck being caught on a large map in one those area's.

Then I wanted more smoothness I use smoother now but I find it's not quite enough I find it gets quite rough. I assume this why RWG is so boring flat. There is no decent road system / terrain to really fix it.

Then the traders option is awesome as well.

I can't wait :)

Ok, new version online v0.31

(same download link)

-Added the option to have snow in the north and deserts in the south.

-options to smooth out the terrain more (makes it look more gamy but easier to drive around in the wilderness, use this if you think the terrain is too bumpy, or you like to have it easy to drive though the outback)

-Traders are connected to the road network. Makes it a bit easier to travel to a remote trader, and find other traders.

(the generation time will take a bit longer now, due to the additional roads)

Would it be possible to add weather options to NitroGen? Like say I want it to be always clear and sunny all over the map. Or stormy in one area.

I would also like to be able to have more biomes options, like a mix of forest and desert and maybe some snow. Maybe if there were check marks for the biomes you want in your map and you could select how much of each. Is that possible? Or just too much to ask for?

Weather and other dynamic details must be modded in via config XMLs.

Nitrogen is really just generating the world files (terrain, water, biomes, POIs, roads, spawnpoints)

The goal is not to actually mod the game data, but just replace the RWG functionality.

----

In the landscape option you can set the mix of biomes/landscapes. So you can increase the number of desert areas or mountains (with snow) for example. Wasteland and burned forest can be added in the biomes selection.

The new north/south option allows you to have desert (south) and snow (north) on any map, so you can alway find those biomes when running in either direction.

A really detailed specific custom biome layout should be edited in by hand in the end. Its relatively easy to do in 7DtD fortunately.

New version online v 0.32 (same download link)

-new city street grid: cities and towns are more similar to RWG using a regular city street-block layout

(making settlements look more American, and less random like in Europe ... Americans dont like to walk and like regular street patterns)

-config.txt : you can change parameters like the water level, POI hight spawn levels, terrain smoothing, street smoothing here

(not all internal parameters included yet)

(make a backup before editing it! The parameters are not commented. They are either Integer, Float, Int-array or Float array)

map_0-32.jpg