A19e Nitrogen - UNSTABLE

Damocles

Damocles

Well .. gee-wiz .. and I JUST made a perfect world in v 0.31 using smoother and really liking the way the roads turned out.

It took 13min _16sec to make my 12288 map and had 135 items of map making … I'll keep that ..

And give v 0.32 a try later .. UNLESS you update again before I get a chance.

Really enjoying this map maker. Thank you … the Old Gamer .. :02.47-tranquillity:

PS .. I never really like gridded streets .. that is one reason that I'm using this .. Can grid be an option .. just wondering.

Edited by gpcstargate (see edit history)

Damocles

Well .. gee-wiz .. and I JUST made a perfect world in v 0.31 using smoother and really liking the way the roads turned out. I'll keep that ..

And give v 0.32 a try later .. UNLESS you update again before I get a chance.

Really enjoying this map maker. Thank you … the Old Gamer .. :02.47-tranquillity:

Just do like I do. I download the new version of Nitrogen. Make a new map and add it to the Generated Worlds folder. Then I just start a new game with the new map. I can always just load the old one if I want. I usually end up with half dozen or so maps in there.

Hi,

I have to admit I didn't read the whole thread but I'd like to know if there's any possibility, that the POIs' ground may have the same biome structure as the area around them? ATM they are obviously added after creating the world and look more like being stamped into it ^^ (hope you get what I mean).

Plus it would be awesome if one could either choose between more small scattered biome dots and less huge ones. especially when I create a world up to 12k there are like 5 snow montains (which is absolutly fine) and 17 desert dots (some of them directly next to the snow biome in the north) which makes no sense at all. Or if created worlds would place those dots depending on their position on the map (desert dots more in the south and none in the north, snow vice versa).

Hope you don't mind my input. :D Really, thank you for your great work. Your worlds are so much better than the original generated ones, so I'm forever greatful for your work. :)

Hey Damocles thanks a lot for the config txt tweaks update,

that's almost everything we can choose and it's really good for more custom possiblities.

Is there any way to support your work?

I feel i'm over abusing it for free and really want to show my gratitude for this masterpiece.

Thank you once again for constant updates. :02.47-tranquillity:

Hi,

I have to admit I didn't read the whole thread but I'd like to know if there's any possibility, that the POIs' ground may have the same biome structure as the area around them? ATM they are obviously added after creating the world and look more like being stamped into it ^^ (hope you get what I mean).

Plus it would be awesome if one could either choose between more small scattered biome dots and less huge ones. especially when I create a world up to 12k there are like 5 snow montains (which is absolutly fine) and 17 desert dots (some of them directly next to the snow biome in the north) which makes no sense at all. Or if created worlds would place those dots depending on their position on the map (desert dots more in the south and none in the north, snow vice versa).

Hope you don't mind my input. :D Really, thank you for your great work. Your worlds are so much better than the original generated ones, so I'm forever greatful for your work. :)

I can see about a feature that increases deserts to spawn more in the south, and snow-mountains more in the north. But should still be a random map, too many restrictions would make the worlds feel more samy, having a too similar layout.

Most POIs dont care much about the biome (the dirt is taking over the biomes definition then). There are a few that only work in a specific biome. I would have to extend the prefablist for that, to add a biome filter then for specific POIs.

- - - Updated - - -

Hey Damocles thanks a lot for the config txt tweaks update,

that's almost everything we can choose and it's really good for more custom possiblities.

Is there any way to support your work?

I feel i'm over abusing it for free and really want to show my gratitude for this masterpiece.

Thank you once again for constant updates. :02.47-tranquillity:

Its just a hobby project for me, no need for donations, but thanks.

Its always good to tell others about the tool, as many players probably dont stumble upon this sub-forum.

Edited by Damocles (see edit history)

I have just noticed some problems with POIs sinking into terrain more since the last version.

Will revert that.

Meanwhile you can change those parameters in the config.txt:

LOT_SMOOTH_OUTER = 3.0

LOT_SMOOTH_INNER = 1.5

LOT_CITY_SMOOTH_OUTER = 5.0

LOT_CITY_SMOOTH_INNER = 2.5

to this

LOT_SMOOTH_OUTER = 3.0

LOT_SMOOTH_INNER = 1.5

LOT_CITY_SMOOTH_OUTER = 3.0

LOT_CITY_SMOOTH_INNER = 1.5

(the old setting)

I think I will have to rework the whole terrain smoothing logic to remove certain issues with POIs and streets on very uneven terrain.

i generated a 24k map, 38,000 prefabs in total. "out of memory error on launch." took 2.5 hours on 7700k 4.8 32gb ram titanXpascal.

just for refernece,

2 minutes for 8k

5 for 16k

Neither the 7D client nor server will load/run anything over 16K. I've tried but nothing I've done makes it work. I have a ton of HD space and memory. I think it's a restriction of the program's data structures, or might be a Unity shortcoming. Whatever the reason, I can't get anything bigger than 16K to actually run on server or client.

The last map I generated, my wife and I about 500m form each other at start fell through the world when trying to meet up. i have no idea if this rwg is the cause or not. Thank you for this though.

The playerspawn is usually quite robust, even if the position is not set that precise (hight). At least in singleplayer. Maybe there are issues in MP.

Did you notice anything strange at the spawn, maybe spawning at a cliffside or having a POI very close?

Also make sure to delete the "dtm_processed.raw" if you copy over the files into a previous world folder (it contains the old terrain data)

The playerspawn is usually quite robust, even if the position is not set that precise (hight). At least in singleplayer. Maybe there are issues in MP.

Did you notice anything strange at the spawn, maybe spawning at a cliffside or having a POI very close?

Also make sure to delete the "dtm_processed.raw" if you copy over the files into a previous world folder (it contains the old terrain data)

Couple of times since I have started using Nitrogen I have spawned in air and fell and sprained my leg. I was next to a tree so maybe it tried to spawn me on top of it. :)

This was the initial spawn starting the game. Never any other time.

just for refernece, 2 minutes for 8k

1 minute 11 Seconds for 8k Map Gen

Ryzen 7 2700x 4.5Ghz OC.

32GB DDR 4 3000Mhz.

500GB Samsung Evo 970 M.2.

Aorus B450 Elite.

Is it possible to have some kinda cave system ?

And how about some different prefabs / POI's ?

Great Work As Allways. :cool::encouragement:

I have spawned on a hill side a few times, and yes i always start a new gen in a clean folder. The spawn wasn't the issue though, we spawned a few kms from each other, it was us both falling through the map , almost at the same time as we got closer to each other.

1 minute 11 Seconds for 8k Map Gen

Ryzen 7 2700x 4.5Ghz OC.

32GB DDR 4 3000Mhz.

500GB Samsung Evo 970 M.2.

Aorus B450 Elite.

And how about some different prefabs / POI's ?

In the first post, there are some references to MOD prefabs, with a prefablist that works in NitroGen.

The prefabs need to be placed into the gamefolder. Then NitroGen can reference them (via the prefablist.txt), and let the game spawn them in.

There are a few cave POIs spawned from the vanilla prefabs. Actual procedurally generated caves cant be done via the world-files. It basically only allows defining 2D world-data for the terrain.

Caves is something the Fun Pimps need to create via code, or users by creating Cave-POIs.

(Or writing a program that manipulates the region files ... but that would be another project)

New version online 0.33 (same download link)

Mostly revamping the city grid, to make it less regular.

Also the cities should now be smoother within their bounds. Also fixed some of the smoothing bugs from the previous version.

Traders now have the road pass along their side. (You can find every trader at one point by driving along the country roads)

For anyone who does not want to install der generator, here is a small 4k example map generated by the latest version:

NitroGenMap_4kDemo.zip

Thanks Damocles, your random world generator is incredible!

I noticed a possible bug with the maps being generated (NitroGen v0.33).

Prefabs with the "NitroGen zone" variable set to "unique" do not appear to be added to generated maps.

I generated multiple 4k and 16k maps with no unique POIs being added to the maps.

I would like to make some suggestions for possible features:

* The ability to adjust/increase the width of "main" roads.

* The ability to create custom "NitroGen zones", so we can spawn certain buildings "close" to each other.

* The ability to ensure certain prefabs are always added to the generated world, at least once.

* An option to add "trail" paths which lead to the mountain huts / POIs, thus making them more obvious/easier to find.

* An extra text file generated with each world detailing the variables used to generate the map.

* An option to scan a Prefab folder to generate a custom prefablist.txt with all the variables entered and read off the prefabs (rotation, y-offset, x,y,z etc).

* An extra "border biome" option of generating a water+sand biome, simulating a coastal look for one or more sides of the map.

Keep up the awesome work! :smile-new:

Thanks Damocles, your random world generator is incredible!

I noticed a possible bug with the maps being generated (NitroGen v0.33).

Prefabs with the "NitroGen zone" variable set to "unique" do not appear to be added to generated maps.

I generated multiple 4k and 16k maps with no unique POIs being added to the maps.

I would like to make some suggestions for possible features:

* The ability to adjust/increase the width of "main" roads.

* The ability to create custom "NitroGen zones", so we can spawn certain buildings "close" to each other.

* The ability to ensure certain prefabs are always added to the generated world, at least once.

* An option to add "trail" paths which lead to the mountain huts / POIs, thus making them more obvious/easier to find.

* An extra text file generated with each world detailing the variables used to generate the map.

* An option to scan a Prefab folder to generate a custom prefablist.txt with all the variables entered and read off the prefabs (rotation, y-offset, x,y,z etc).

* An extra "border biome" option of generating a water+sand biome, simulating a coastal look for one or more sides of the map.

Hi, I have jut tested it, setting the gallows to unique:

oldwest_gallows,NAVONLY,2,0,7,5,6,farm;oldwest;hillbillyjunk;unique

works out fine. There is one single instance in the map (can be seen in the generated prefabs.xml)

The unique marker will only assure that it is used once, not that it WILL be used.

But given that the generator will try to not repeat using POIs in the same settlement, it has a very high chance to be spawned at least once.

---

The road width of long distance roads can be changed in the config.txt

ROAD_SMOOTH_A_INNER = 3

ROAD_SMOOTH_A_OUTER = 12

ROAD_SMOOTH_A_SCAN = 3

ROAD_SMOOTH_A_WIDE = 2

ROAD_SMOOTH_B_INNER = 4

ROAD_SMOOTH_B_OUTER = 12

ROAD_SMOOTH_B_SCAN = 4

ROAD_SMOOTH_B_WIDE = 3

ROAD_SMOOTH_C_INNER = 3

ROAD_SMOOTH_C_OUTER = 8

ROAD_SMOOTH_C_SCAN = 3

ROAD_SMOOTH_C_WIDE = 2

you can try higher values for WIDE here, try a value like 4 or 5.

You might want to increase the inner and outer radi also, so the roads does not draw over the cliffside.

----

I will mark down the other suggestions, thanks.

I can have a look at the spawn logic, checking if all unique buildings where spawned in.

(Else they get forced to spawn near some city or town)

Thanks Damocles!

A tiny bug to report, one that doesn't impact game play:

The "splatmap" (splat3.png) that gets generated appears to be flipped vertically relative to the other maps (previewMap.png).

Here is an experimental build, 0.34

"road mania"

This version generates more roads overall: to farms, rednecks, and some mountain POIs.

The roads will get pretty steep when a POI is on a steep mountain top, so see if you like this aproach.

But it generates quite interesting "hiking trails" inside mountainous areas.

EDIT: pushed to main version

NitroGen

Here is an experimental build, 0.34

"road mania"

This version generates more roads overall: to farms, rednecks, and some mountain POIs.

The roads will get pretty steep when a POI is on a steep mountain top, so see if you like this aproach.

But it generates quite interesting "hiking trails" inside mountainous areas.

NitroGen Experimental

Thanks Damocles, I love the new mountain trails!

You should make this a permanent addition (optional) for future releases, it's that good!

Looking forward to seeing the logic update for unique Prefabs.

Caves are by far my most missed element of RWG.

With river being back in RWG with Nitro, Caves are the last element that is truly missing for me.

This is my idea for distribution of biomes. I hope we move more towards this type of distribution as it encompasses both the latitude analog to the real world as well as a rough approximation of elevation influence.M77wrgr.png

• SylenThunder changed the title to A19e Nitrogen - a Random World Generator for 7DTD
  • SylenThunder changed the title to A19e Nitrogen - UNSTABLE
  • SylenThunder locked this topic