A19e Nitrogen - UNSTABLE

Damocles

New version online: v 0.35 (same download link)

A big road update: much improved road generation code, better intersections between roads and to POIs.

Each POI-settlement is now connected to a road (either a main road or small dead end country road).

Mountain huts and outback POIs now can come in small groups, and receive a road connection.

Overall roads are smoother than before.

This mean less small roads going to big roads then small roads again going to dead ends with small farm house? I found a lot of misleading roads where go big and thick to small again and it made me sad. Was hard to find towns or cities because of it.

Good day Damocles

I made a map using v 0.351 and something strange happened .. a 1/4 of the map was WaterWorld .. in the form of a Wall of water to the flat lands .. ( I should have taken a screenshot but didn't think of it fast enough before deleting it .. But here is the Generator sheet for your viewing .. don't know if it was just a one time deal or not ( Did not try to make that one again ) .. but did restart load twice to make sure it wasn't just a load issue and the wall was still there:

Just Strange .. Maybe 8+ block high Wall of water .. All water on one side as far as the eye could see ( you could see a couple roof tops poking out of the water here and there ) .. and .. stopping behind one of the Traders back down to normal ground level on the rest of the map.

Boy wish I took a screenshot now. Anyway .. Have a good one … the Old Gamer .. :02.47-tranquillity:

1988687415_DeadCantRun1_Med.thumb.jpg.61af4c765d319ebed0ebf3e7e076f797.jpg

Good day Damocles

I made a map using v 0.351 and something strange happened .. a 1/4 of the map was WaterWorld .. in the form of a Wall of water to the flat lands .. ( I should have taken a screenshot but didn't think of it fast enough before deleting it .. But here is the Generator sheet for your viewing .. don't know if it was just a one time deal or not ( Did not try to make that one again ) .. but did restart load twice to make sure it wasn't just a load issue and the wall was still there:

Just Strange .. Maybe 8+ block high Wall of water .. All water on one side as far as the eye could see ( you could see a couple roof tops poking out of the water here and there ) .. and .. stopping behind one of the Traders back down to normal ground level on the rest of the map.

Boy wish I took a screenshot now. Anyway .. Have a good one … the Old Gamer .. :02.47-tranquillity:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]28659[/ATTACH]

Thanks for the info. Its probably one of the small lakes "leaking". I reduced the safety margin around them, preventing roads to pass.

I will increase the margin again.

You can prevent that error by turning small lakes off (none) until I fix the issue.

- - - Updated - - -

This mean less small roads going to big roads then small roads again going to dead ends with small farm house? I found a lot of misleading roads where go big and thick to small again and it made me sad. Was hard to find towns or cities because of it.

In the next version I will change the behavior: asphalt roads will be roads between towns cities, traders and farms.

And gravel roads will be roads leading to small POI groups. (dead end roads).

So then you can follow an asphalt road to find cities and traders.

New version online 0.352

-roads: asphalt roads are connecting towns, cities, farms and traders, gravel roads are dead end roads to countryside POIs.

(Now if you see a gravel road it will lead to a POI at one end, and an asphalt road at the other end, you can then follow the asphalt roads to find a town, city or trader)

-increased margin around small lakes to keep them from flooding the entire map. (if you still see this behavior turn the small lakes off. Also turn off small lakes if you dont want wacky behavior of roads near them in regions like deserts. With the rivers and big lakes the small lakes are not that necessary anymore. Come to think of it, i will probably make the path-finding avoid them more.)

-preview map will now be flipped to show the game world correctly

(the DEV version option is for my development, and will receive some additional markers in the future)

Edited by Damocles (see edit history)

The updates have made the generated maps even better.

Two ideas/suggestions:

1. Is it possible to add a custom user defined "NitroGen Zone", and maybe even set it as a "unique" zone such that only one instance is added per map and will always be added at least once?

2. Is there any way for you to insert a smaller pre-generated map into a larger random gen map? For example, integrate Navezgane into some part of a larger randomly generated world ... ? This would allow us to take advantage of the great work that has gone into Navezgane while allowing us to expand upon it.

Thanks and Keep up the awesome work! :smile-new:

New prefab lists created / posted for Ravenhearst 5.4 and Alpha 17.4 in general. Changed the repository structure a bit and refurbished the ReadMe, so it can be properly read now. :p

On a side note, I've also noticed that the former "Array Index Out Of Range" issues with Ravenhearst and also some Darkness Falls issues I had have gone by using the latest NitroGen version(s). Tested this with NitroGen 0.352. (See this thread's main page for the links to the repository, as usual.)

Cheers

Edited by MelT
Now also formatted the text^^ (see edit history)

The updates have made the generated maps even better.

Two ideas/suggestions:

1. Is it possible to add a custom user defined "NitroGen Zone", and maybe even set it as a "unique" zone such that only one instance is added per map and will always be added at least once?

2. Is there any way for you to insert a smaller pre-generated map into a larger random gen map? For example, integrate Navezgane into some part of a larger randomly generated world ... ? This would allow us to take advantage of the great work that has gone into Navezgane while allowing us to expand upon it.

Thanks and Keep up the awesome work! :smile-new:

I have the unique setting on my list. This will probably have another tag like "priority", wich makes the generator place at least one POI of this prefab. (the zone type then determines the loaction). Together with unique it will then spawn exactly one.

Lets see about markers for that.

----------

Its technically possible to import Navezgane (terrain, roads, biomes, POIs) onto a larger map. I can think about something like that.

But probably when A18 is out, to see what will change in the world files and assets.

Hi Damocles,

First I just want to say, Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! for making this world generator. It has been fantastic and I've been spending lots of time customizing new worlds.

I wanted to ask in case this is something that can be done with your current software, but I just may not know the right way to do it. I generated a height map that I liked and then edited the height map to have a large flat area in the center of the map. I've been trying to keep that area all forest without any POIs building there. I know I can use the World Editor in 7DTD to remove any POIs that may populate that flatland, but I was wondering if there is a way within your software to update the DTM file by editing the prefabs.xml and water_info.xml and then generating a new DTM file off of those xml files? I ask because I keep generating worlds off of my import_HM.png or the poiHM.png until I get something close to what I want, but there will usually be something that is still off that I'll have to try to fix in 7DTD's World Editor.

Hi Damocles,

First I just want to say, Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! for making this world generator. It has been fantastic and I've been spending lots of time customizing new worlds.

I wanted to ask in case this is something that can be done with your current software, but I just may not know the right way to do it. I generated a height map that I liked and then edited the height map to have a large flat area in the center of the map. I've been trying to keep that area all forest without any POIs building there. I know I can use the World Editor in 7DTD to remove any POIs that may populate that flatland, but I was wondering if there is a way within your software to update the DTM file by editing the prefabs.xml and water_info.xml and then generating a new DTM file off of those xml files? I ask because I keep generating worlds off of my import_HM.png or the poiHM.png until I get something close to what I want, but there will usually be something that is still off that I'll have to try to fix in 7DTD's World Editor.

You can use a mask to block off areas that should not spawn POIs.

There is a small example hightmap and mask included in the resources.

You can generate a map using the gen-mode "import + mask" to see it working.

For the mask: only the alpha channel is considered, alpha below 20 (eg transparent) is free to use, everything else blocked.

The mask also contains spawn points for cities and towns (check the example mask).

In your case, you probably just need a mask that is a transparent image, with a blue circle in the middle (the part that needs to be free).

Best is to download the newest version 0.354. In it, I fixed some issues related to road-generation and the mask.

Hi, Damo

Couple Of Suggestions For You Sir.

No1. Would it be possible to add save profile for maps generated ?

No2. Would it also be possible to "Preview Map" With in the program it self ?

Thank For Your Time And Effort. :smile-new:

Maybe later, when the UI will not change anymore. It would require quite some extra UI logic to make the selections persistent.

(Im not using a framework here, just pure Java)

With the last update city generation is pushe d to the map edges, any ideas ?

What do you mean excactly? A default map I have generated spawned cities and town all over the map.

Just redo the generation, so you have a terrain that has more free flat area in the middle of the map.

Damocles, I noticed when I make my maps not the roads are not in the grid pattern like they were not long ago. Did you change it back to them being random again? Is it possible that there could be an option to have roads one way or the other. I kinda liked being able to have the roads in towns/cities in the perfect grid pattern.

Damocles, I noticed when I make my maps not the roads are not in the grid pattern like they were not long ago. Did you change it back to them being random again? Is it possible that there could be an option to have roads one way or the other. I kinda liked being able to have the roads in towns/cities in the perfect grid pattern.

I can put that back in. The buildings now can move together closer due to a changed placement logic.

I can snap it back to a grid as an option.

I can put that back in. The buildings now can move together closer due to a changed placement logic.

I can snap it back to a grid as an option.

Thank you for considering it. I would imagine some like the nice grid pattern and some may prefer the more random road style.

lol I forget what day 7 is like. Every time you come out with a new update I make a new map and start game from scratch.

Edited by Gamida (see edit history)

New version online: v 0.355

-city grid: you can set the building in a city to align with city-blocks, and choose the block size (American style cities)

without the grid, buildings are packed together randomly as tight as possible (more European style cities)

a wider city grid will reduce the density of POIs, and make cities use more area. Use this if you have problems with the framerate.

(you can set the block size in the config.txt under CITY_GRID_ALIGN_WIDE)

(I might split that up into a stable and an experimental branch, so people dont feel "forced" to use the latest map versions, there where quite a lot of new versions coming out ...)

You can use a mask to block off areas that should not spawn POIs.

There is a small example hightmap and mask included in the resources.

You can generate a map using the gen-mode "import + mask" to see it working.

For the mask: only the alpha channel is considered, alpha below 20 (eg transparent) is free to use, everything else blocked.

The mask also contains spawn points for cities and towns (check the example mask).

In your case, you probably just need a mask that is a transparent image, with a blue circle in the middle (the part that needs to be free).

Best is to download the newest version 0.354. In it, I fixed some issues related to road-generation and the mask.

Thank you so much for the info. I wasn't exactly sure how the masking worked, but I've been able to use it and this is working perfectly for me. Thank you SOOOOOO much for this. I love 7DTD and your World Generator has made world creation so much better. Thanks again...

Hey Damocles thx for the new versions everything works fine,

just wanted to ask if or what has change to your prefablist on June 16 since i see a new one but don't notice change at first look?

Just to be sure cos' I use custom prefablist and if a change is needed/intended it will be good to know.

Thanks for your hard work

Best regards

Hey Damocles thx for the new versions everything works fine,

just wanted to ask if or what has change to your prefablist on June 16 since i see a new one but don't notice change at first look?

Just to be sure cos' I use custom prefablist and if a change is needed/intended it will be good to know.

Thanks for your hard work

Best regards

No major change, just fixing the dimensions of 3 POIs.

You could get a program like KDiff to compare the old and new lists

Is this version (.335) available for download? Youre readme.txt still says v.241. I'm guessing yes cause the .jar has today's date?

I see that. yeah. FWIW, like many others, I find your NitroGen works great :).

Question - do you have any code to prevent cities/towns from spawning in a lake? I generated a world with a lot of lakes, and I'm finding a lot of submerged cities. They are kinda kool actually, not complaining, just curious if this was intended or a byproduct of having too many lakes?

Oops I accidently selected Sunken World LOL. sorry! Derp!

Edited by zootal (see edit history)

• SylenThunder changed the title to A19e Nitrogen - a Random World Generator for 7DTD
  • SylenThunder changed the title to A19e Nitrogen - UNSTABLE
  • SylenThunder locked this topic