A19e Nitrogen - UNSTABLE

Damocles

If you're going to overwrite Navezgane anyway, why not just do that before even starting it for the first time?

Either way, there's a bunch of posts in this thread regarding everything you need to know to use worlds on a dedi, including a section close to the end of the OP.

Indeed pretty awesome generator. Thanks!

Still “fighting” a bit with the settings but the worlds definitely feel more random.

Two questions and one comment:

* I noticed that bedrock is somewhere around +2 or +4? Is that configurable?

* Is it possible to save custom settings as new defaults? (e.g. turn off cracks automatically)

Comment:

* I feel that roads could connect better. Currently they sometimes feel like spaghetti and detours on a bike cost stamina... :)

Thanks again!

If you're going to overwrite Navezgane anyway, why not just do that before even starting it for the first time?

Either way, there's a bunch of posts in this thread regarding everything you need to know to use worlds on a dedi, including a section close to the end of the OP.

So as to overwrite just to save game, and not the original world.

This isn't the most efficient method either, but it would be the easiest in my opinion.

So as to overwrite just to save game, and not the original world.

This isn't the most efficient method either, but it would be the easiest in my opinion.

If you create a savegame on Navezgane it will use the Navezgane folder in <game>/Data/Worlds/Navezgane. So if you go that route you have to overwrite the files in that folder. That means you overwrite Navezgane and that doesn't change if you do it prior to starting a Navezgane save or before ;)

We may be saying the same thing, I dunno.

I'm advocating overwriting the world folder in /saves as opposed to data/worlds.

Creating the game first would mean the admin doesn't have to know how to set up the folders or put the required files in.

Overwriting data/worlds/navezgane affects any future nav games.

I'm not saying my method is the most efficient, I'm saying it'd be the easiest for a server admin who doesn't intimately know the file structure, especially on a rented server where they likely have more access to the save folder than the data/worlds folder.

Me either, I'm a Paint dot net guy, but its been lacking some features of late so Krita (which I hate) and Photoshop it is.

I've been messing with NitroGen a lot, the config file especially, and the height-maps and turbulence file, plus I've altered the shape of the snow, forest, desert and crater splats but I too am at a loss for a few things.

Namely the mask file (what purpose does it serve, 'cause I've been generating fairly decent worlds without altering the mask).

And roads in city hubs are a freaking mess all the time, a patchwork of asphalt, broken asphalt with gravel and pathways littered throughout. There's no rhyme or reason to it. It's like the city planners said "Just throw down some roads, the buildings come later". Technically he was right, but jeez-Louise. Roads to and from Poi's and hubs are fine, it's just inside the larger clusters of buildings that the roads go haywire.

I have tried to manually edit the roads (splat3.png) file, it was long and tedious and in the end I must have done something wrong, what I don't know, but I got a tonne of console warnings (yellow) about color info being wrong on the file dtm.raw. I surmised (with Photoshop) that the merging of channels (RGBA) didn't go so well but am stumped as to what actually went wrong. Plus I'm a total noob to Photoshop, who calls "Flip Horizontal" mirror? Flipping is flipping, mirroring is totally different, oh well, whatever Adobe, thanks for the learning curve.

I am loving the program though, it's a god-send for those of us with krapper-potato PC's. I'll be paying lots of attention to any posts in this section and will collaborate my findings and conclusions if I think they are pertinent or haven't been covered already.

My next goal is to grab satellite imagery of my area (Niagara Falls baby) and work with that height-map. Should be cool to see the falls, even if they don't have water spilling over the precipice.

I like Krita, but I only use it on Linux. If I'm using Windows, which I still do have around and use occasionally, I use Photoshop.

Hi, long time lurker here. This is such an amazing tool, I've been messing with the resource image files for the last few days trying to get more natural looking height maps. I used the software Wilbur, to help me generate the textures. I also redrew then scrambled up the biome borders with Gimp's pick filter so there isn't such a harsh line between biomes. I'm quite satisfied with the results.

Here's what a typical 4k height map looks like with them.

8ccDeJQ.jpg

Some pictures. This is all default smoothing by the way.

bEvqbwa.jpg

LoFaDUx.jpg

ESi0DRj.jpg

Here's a zip with the files if anyone would like them (always be sure to backup the original files).

Also as far as I'm aware the textures TEST_512_ABS_Mountain255 and TEST_256_ABS_DESERTPlateau_top don't seem to ever be used (maybe Damocles can clarify). But I still made replacements for them in case.

First, great job with the tool! Found it yesterday.

A couple thoughts, I'll have more later once I understand the height map stuff and how 7DTD uses it a bit more.

1) Any thoughts about open sourcing this? I would want to port it to C# or C++ as they handle memory better than java. I could decompile the jar, but I don't want to look at or copy your work without permission.

2) Make the biomes a check box list with a way to select none/few/normal/many of each.

3) Add a way to import a biome map and have the tool generate a heightmap independent of that, or import separate biome and height maps.

4) Not every mountain is a true mountain in real life. Denver, for example, is called 'the mile high city' because it's a mile from sea level.

5) Speaking of sea level, add an option to generate oceans, either just on the outer border of the map, or within the map itself.

6) Someone should speak to TFP about adding a color dedicated to caves. An alpha value could determine the height. This makes it possible to use A* or another algorithm to generate caves. It also makes it possible to place a spawner in the cave, for example, a cave full of zombies, bear caves, etc.

7) Man made bridges may be possible. I've always wondered if a prefabbed bridge segment could be made, and if it would float above the terrain if it had support. I know you can fake a bridge using blocks as well. However I don't know if there is an easy way to do this. If prefabs can float, in theory you could chain prefabs together to make a bridge. Then you can have real bridges going over other roads, rivers, etc.

I'm going to try to learn a bit more about RWG once alpha 18 comes out. This one has me brainstorming about road algorithms, bridges, caves, etc.

Has a prefab list been generated with WoTW POIs yet?

This sure would be appreciated.

Sorry, but I only do lists of MODs that interest me personally, since I don't have that much spare time. I can take a look at War of the Walkers, but I can't promise anything at this point. If it uses POIs from the ComboPack 38 (or what it's called), it should be easy.

Apart from that - just saying - you can also create your own lists fairly easily. There are instructions in this thread, or take a look at the ReadMe in the GitHub repository (link is on this thread's first page near the bottom).

So to clarify, to play a 16k map generated by Nitrogen, I copy the radiation.png and main.ttw from any 16k map I've generated with the games default RWG?

All the files were generated by Nitrogen for me. I just copied the files into my Generated map folder and I was done. I do not need to copy any other files from another 16k map.

k ... just a heads-up concerning that WotW request:

I took a look and found it's not that much extra work after all, as the MOD thankfully doesn't use that many extraordinary prefabs. The WotW list should be up sometime tomorrow.

Hi, long time lurker here. This is such an amazing tool, I've been messing with the resource image files for the last few days trying to get more natural looking height maps. I used the software Wilbur, to help me generate the textures. I also redrew then scrambled up the biome borders with Gimp's pick filter so there isn't such a harsh line between biomes. I'm quite satisfied with the results.

That is a GREAT looking map! Well done. I have often wondered about how to go about making use of height maps, but wasn't sure the end result would be worth the effort.

My favorite aspect of the results you got where how natural the erosion and shoreline looks. Great job!

Edited by warmer (see edit history)

Thanks for the inspiring post. Took your advice and went into Gimp and used the pick and erode filters on the generated height maps and biome maps. Blends are really interesting. I got something similar to what you see in Oregon/Washington border on the Columbia river as it goes from Deep forest to scrub land.

Capture.jpg.e1d7bbe7e7202561e1965aaefdc21681.jpg