A19e Nitrogen - UNSTABLE

Damocles

I am sorry I am lazy and did not read all the posts but I do have a question. Am I likely to see in any bug in gameplay with a random map generated with Nitrogen? I really do not want to pour a hundred hours into the game and find out there is a gameplay bug in the new map.

Again I am sorry for not reading all of the posts.

I also want to thank you for this amazing tool, I got stuck in a navegane map because I forgot to generate a larger map to play for more content and especially more traders and the ability to take out the burned forest and add more towns and traders is really cool. You modding guys make ordinary games so much more.

Edited by bobrpggamer (see edit history)

I am sorry I am lazy and did not read all the posts but I do have a question. Am I likely to see in any bug in gameplay with a random map generated with Nitrogen? I really do not want to pour a hundred hours into the game and find out there is a gameplay bug in the new map.

Not that I have seen so far. I've played on maps using various MOD prefabs, lots of them at the same time. The only thing happening to me was a few (very few) prefabs having some small issues themselves. Nothing really game-breaking, though. E.g., some prefabs weren't adjusted correctly by the MOD makers themselves, meaning sometimes you see dirt "gaps" in front of an entrance etc., but it's quite rare and usually remedied by a MOD update when the prefabs themselves have been worked on.

Even rarer are some errors I can't even put my finger on, where the console suddenly pops up with some error message in-game while looking at a prefab, but that's like, I can't really say, maybe 1 in 2000 times or something, if it happens at all. Also seems to be prefab-related only. And even that's nothing game-breaking, as I usually just close the console and restart the game, then it's gone. A memory issue of sorts, maybe.

The map itself, I dare say, works flawlessly everytime. (Playing on NitroGen maps for ~200-300 hours now.)

Feature Requests:

1 - ability to define street widths prior to generation (got ya covered Black Eagle)

2 - a bit weirder... the ability to read a generated world and create a splat3 from it. This would allow me to manually "fix" roads, or add new ones and not have to package .rg files with my world maps.

Thanks for your consideration! =)

Best to just paint the biomes you want. Load the PreviewMap.png file in an image editor. Add a the biomes.png as a layer. Make it so that the PreviewMap.png one sorta shows up in the biomes.png layer. Switch to biomes.png in the layer selection. Paint your biomes where you want using the specific biome colors. Delete the PreviewMap.png layer. Save the new biomes.png. Run the biomes.png file through the NitroGen tool that fixes biomes (just in case). Viola.

I just came to think of something regarding the Darkness Falls mod. There is files for those prefabs I saw, but can the generator generate the special radioactive biome Darkness Falls use for some special POI's ?

I could be wrong, but I don't think that's dependant on NitroGen, but more on the DF MOD itself. For example, when you create a NitroGen map with the DF POIs, certain DF POIs (the special bunkers, e.g.) will only really appear while playing Darkness Falls, not in other MODs or the vanilla version, even when using the very same NitroGen map, from what I've seen.

So if your question really is if it works, then I'd say yes. NitroGen would not create extra biomes for special MOD POIs by itself (at least not yet), as far as I know, and I'd say the condition you mention is linked to the POIs themselves (in conjunction with the MOD), not to the map.

so, I'd like to request support for map sizes SMALLER than 4K.... I've tried unsuccessfully 5 times to set the map to 2048, and it always just changes it back to 4096 before it generates it. I'm trying to make a small "one large city" type of map, for small squad tactics practice. Thanks in advance!

Also, is there anything out there that actually details the "scenario" options?

Edited by dhyde79 (see edit history)

Not sure if this has been shared here, but here is a height map generator for the World.

https://tangrams.github.io/heightmapper/

Zoom in or out with about the resolution of google earth. Just save a file and edit to have with the same resolution of the map you want. Then use it as your

resources/import_HM.png

file when generating a map from a height map file.

You can use it for anywhere in the world. This is the result I got for the town in Idaho where I grew up. It will likely take some editing of the range of the height map to make it believable. I lived by a mile high mountain, and that made the mountains SUPER rough until I lowered the contrast to diminish the severity of the mountain slopes.

Sandpoint_Idaho.jpg.d88ea661fb3c0ca0a00ba76227a26d4a.jpg

Here is Arizona

arizona_height_map.jpg.a07ce7da8ccdea6734da696735a0c179.jpg

Edited by warmer (see edit history)

I can get full screens. Then I take it into gimp and square up the biggest shot I like and then stretch to make 4k. The stretch also helps smooth out mountains a bit, otherwise some of the peaks become needles if you aren't zoomed in very far. Recommend reducing contrast as well. Took about 5 tries before I got a world that was recognizable. Just not to scale. Also painting the biomes.png file helps it look way more believable if you know the general area.

Not that I have seen so far. I've played on maps using various MOD prefabs, lots of them at the same time. The only thing happening to me was a few (very few) prefabs having some small issues themselves. Nothing really game-breaking, though. E.g., some prefabs weren't adjusted correctly by the MOD makers themselves, meaning sometimes you see dirt "gaps" in front of an entrance etc., but it's quite rare and usually remedied by a MOD update when the prefabs themselves have been worked on.

Even rarer are some errors I can't even put my finger on, where the console suddenly pops up with some error message in-game while looking at a prefab, but that's like, I can't really say, maybe 1 in 2000 times or something, if it happens at all. Also seems to be prefab-related only. And even that's nothing game-breaking, as I usually just close the console and restart the game, then it's gone. A memory issue of sorts, maybe.

The map itself, I dare say, works flawlessly everytime. (Playing on NitroGen maps for ~200-300 hours now.)

I forgot to thank you, so thank you. I am trying to edit the heightmap and I am editing only the genHM and the poiHM but it does not seem to help. Do I have to edit another one of the images?

Edited by bobrpggamer (see edit history)

I forgot to thank you, so thank you. I am trying to edit the heightmap and I am editing only the genHM and the poiHM but it does not seem to help. Do I have to edit another one of the images?

Greetings,

Editing the heightmaps etc. is not my forté, as I have never done it myself. You might wanna take a look at Guppycur's info in this thread and his YouTube channel instead; I believe he delved into that.

Edit:

There's even a height map generator, for which warmer posted a link just a page before this one in this thread, if that helps you out.

Edited by MelT
Added additional info (see edit history)

Hi Damocles,

I would like to make a request if I could. Is there any chance you could add in a feature that would allow custom biomes? They could mirror the stock biomes for building placement and terrain. There are several mods that use them, and this would allow them to use the maps with their mods. Maybe an option to add in a hex color code and then which stock biome to append to that color.

Hi, I will spend some more time on NitroGen, once A18 experimental is finally out, as there are certainly several changes to the worldfiles and prefabs.

I originally expected to put some work on it in August, but alas the new version took longer than expected (including TFP)

I could be wrong, but I don't think that's dependant on NitroGen, but more on the DF MOD itself. For example, when you create a NitroGen map with the DF POIs, certain DF POIs (the special bunkers, e.g.) will only really appear while playing Darkness Falls, not in other MODs or the vanilla version, even when using the very same NitroGen map, from what I've seen.

So if your question really is if it works, then I'd say yes. NitroGen would not create extra biomes for special MOD POIs by itself (at least not yet), as far as I know, and I'd say the condition you mention is linked to the POIs themselves (in conjunction with the MOD), not to the map.

Thats too bad, some of the Darknes Falls progression items only spawn in special POI's that -only- spawns inside the special radiationwasteland biome in added from the mod.

Would be sweet if it would be possible to add custom biomes to be generated somehow.