A19e Nitrogen - UNSTABLE

Damocles

It also happens to me in the desert, but only on the roads. The terrain is smoother but it is because of the anisotropic filtering x2 of Nvidia. The roads even going up x16 the anisotropic filtering are seen this way in all the map and maps that I have done of test. Again I thank you for this incredible tool that is NITROGEN.A18.0_2019-10-10_18-04-47.thumb.jpg.ba4ceae00608bb468e560351bba4426b.jpg

@Damocles hey man so everytime i create a world no matter what settings i have on landscape or smoothing, the world always comes so an even, what i mean so unflat there insane amounts of uneven ground in the whole map, some come very extremely uneven almost like small montines, the rest come uneven as well even, how do i create a map with the world being so flat and even?

also what does smoothing exactly do?

Edited by DaPope (see edit history)

@Damocles hey man so everytime i create a world no matter what settings i have on landscape or smoothing, the world always comes so an even, what i mean so unflat there insane amounts of uneven ground in the whole map, some come very extremely uneven almost like small montines, the rest come uneven as well even, how do i create a map with the world being so flat and even?

also what does smoothing exactly do?

You can import a selfmade hightmap. (just make it filled grey rgb 40,40,40) rename it "import_HM.png" and overwrite the example in resources.

The size does not matter (unless you need more detail) as long as its square. Make the grey image 256x256 for example.

Use the gen-mode "use import_HM".

Now you have a completely flat world.

The smoothing will smooth over the terrain, making the surface more even. Very smooth will allow to traverse the terrain easier in a vehicle.

I uses a Gaussian blur with a small radius of a few hightmap-pixels.

Edited by Damocles (see edit history)

You can import a selfmade hightmap. (just make it filled grey rgb 40,40,40) rename it "import_HM.png" and overwrite the example in resources.

The size does not matter (unless you need more detail) as long as its square. Make the grey image 256x256 for example.

Use the gen-mode "use import_HM".

Now you have a completely flat world.

The smoothing will smooth over the terrain, making the surface more even. Very smooth will allow to traverse the terrain easier in a vehicle.

I uses a Gaussian blur with a small radius of a few hightmap-pixels.

Hey man, I actully dont know how to make selfmade hightmap, and rest as well, i have no idea what you talking, sorry im a noob. anywhere i can learn more?

dyou mean make a picture completely gray in like PH or something? if so can you elaborate on this a little "The size does not matter (unless you need more detail) "

Hey man, I actully dont know how to make selfmade hightmap, and rest as well, i have no idea what you talking, sorry im a noob. anywhere i can learn more?

dyou mean make a picture completely gray in like PH or something? if so can you elaborate on this a little "The size does not matter (unless you need more detail) "

Well if you find a guide to make your own terrain map or even real world terrain map(the guide says its possible)(i would use a certain place in the mountains in zwitserland where i went allot when i was young) please let me know because i am okay with doing much stuff to let it work but i really need a step by step guide with pictures or vid to understand how to do it xD.

So I open Paint and created the gray highmap, then after overwriting and then generating a world, the pngs that came out were all green biomes so im only getting forst, only small lakes no large lakes whatsoever or any other biomes

So I open Paint and created the gray highmap, then after overwriting and then generating a world, the pngs that came out were all green biomes so im only getting forst, only small lakes no large lakes whatsoever or any other biomes

Using an imported hightmap is actually targeted at experienced modders. Where they can edit the biomes map as needed, and also have elevations for large lakes. (Imported hightmaps only assign greenland and snow on mountains, desert, wasteland and burned forest would have to be added manually)

The landscape "mostly flatlands" + high smoothing is the best choice for you using just the UI.

You could also edit your hightmap by painting some black spots onto it (those are lakes later, black means its low ground),

And use the biomes.png map from another map to have some variation in the biomes.

Has anyone explored the differences with the completely new vanilla A18 map generation versus Nitrogen's algorithms? What are we losing by switching to Nitrogen, etc.? Curious to know if this has been researched vs A18 since they redid everything.

Textures on roads look blurry to me, only when using Nitrogen to make the world. Is it using an outdated texture? I selected default roads in the tool

Ok, there was indeed a bug in the splat3.png generation.

The format changed somewhat, and then game for a weired reason displays roads with a lower mip-map. Probably some new blending.

At any rate, I uploaded a new version for A18, version 0.402, that saves the splat map correctly.

Ok, there was indeed a bug in the splat3.png generation.

The format changed somewhat, and then game for a weired reason displays roads with a lower mip-map. Probably some new blending.

At any rate, I uploaded a new version for A18, version 0.401, that saves the splat map correctly.

Dude, you are awesome and your tool is awesome, thanks again.

First thanks for this great mod to create incredible maps, but I also have the problem of roads with blurred textures[ATTACH=CONFIG]29499[/ATTACH]

Kind of strange how there is a chunk close to you that is normal res. Also, you have additional mods running. While that might not be a problem, I am sure your mods aren't 100% compatible with A18 yet.

I use Texture Streaming and I don't see the blur you guys are mentioning.

Radeon RX 580 6GB

Has anyone explored the differences with the completely new vanilla A18 map generation versus Nitrogen's algorithms? What are we losing by switching to Nitrogen, etc.? Curious to know if this has been researched vs A18 since they redid everything.

I can tell you, if you have a Radeon GPU, Nitrogen is the only way to go currently, unless you like your terrain in slices.

Just tried a few .402 8k gens on a handdrawn height maps and Damocles, whatever you did, really changed how POIs are distributed in a good way. I had a lot more POI over where I intended lakes to be, and now it rarely happens. Also the blends aren't as severe in mountains and seem a more thoughtfully placed.

Here is an example

8k_Handdrawn_HM_A18_V_402.jpg.6308e5f72968b90dcdda63637d0c8d91.jpg

The roads are a bit more straight and to the point, but the city distribution and placement also seems to have been improved.

I used these settings

1752757261_Nitrogensettings.jpg.34a72374c4acbe787977dbcc12b85339.jpg

I've a wee suggestion. Currently, cities are entirely flat. Would it be possible to have the POIs instead be placed on lower/higher mounds with adjustable variance settings? Such as on/off for individual POIs in the city to be put on lower/higher terrain than it's neighbours, how large the difference should be, and the same again but for streets/neighbourhoods/quadrants.

Currently, cities and towns are just too damn bland. They've no character, as if they're a city from TES Arena.

I've a wee suggestion. Currently, cities are entirely flat. Would it be possible to have the POIs instead be placed on lower/higher mounds with adjustable variance settings? Such as on/off for individual POIs in the city to be put on lower/higher terrain than it's neighbours, how large the difference should be, and the same again but for streets/neighbourhoods/quadrants.

Currently, cities and towns are just too damn bland. They've no character, as if they're a city from TES Arena.

You do end up with cities, that have houses from other settlements (mountain-huts etc) nearby on a cliff.

The problem of making POIs have different heights is sudden dips and potentially overhanging buildings.

I can see if I make an option to have up to 3 meter random variations.

Above that, and there will be bugs showing up with streets and flat POIs.

The main visual problem would be steets that go up on a slope on one side, making them look ugly.

You do end up with cities, that have houses from other settlements (mountain-huts etc) nearby on a cliff.

The problem of making POIs have different heights is sudden dips and potentially overhanging buildings.

The main visual problem would be steets that go up on a slope on one side, making them look ugly.

That's a good point actually.What about setting the variance range for the POIs by streets? So street 1 will have a max POI height variance between 40-43, adjacent street 2 40-43 & adjacent street 3 43-46, etc.

I think if you had a 3 meter variance allowance, this would make for better random placement on places that are already sloped. The one issue I have with most RWG is the weird cylinders of earth around the perimeter to create a flat POI area.

What about something that respected the height map +/- 3 meters. I think it would blend in more naturally a lot better.

I think if you had a 3 meter variance allowance, this would make for better random placement on places that are already sloped. The one issue I have with most RWG is the weird cylinders of earth around the perimeter to create a flat POI area.

What about something that respected the height map +/- 3 meters. I think it would blend in more naturally a lot better.

The POI underground within its borders must be precisely the POIs target hight, and completely flat. There are many POIs that only have a single 1 meter groundplate. If there is any gap, you will see POIs floating in the air at the edges, or completely falling down when you come near.

Any terrain outside its borders can be any other hight. But visually, this can quickly and up in the POI sticking out like a statue, or looking like it is build in a hole.

Thats when the plateaus are looking like that. They create a circular flat region around the POI, and then smoothly transition to the original terrain shape.

Making a square flat region that transition will be more visible at its corners (wich looks more unnatural than a circle)

Each POI is thus affecting quite a large area around its actual borders.

Now when placing POIs in the same area with different hights, they kind of fight smoothing the terrain to their goal hight. This can end up in sudden drops again. Or the POIs have to have enough distance between them. But I think densely populated cities look better.

So using height differences within a city cannot be too much before showing unnaturally looking artifacts.

Uploaded version 0.411

Some rebalancing for A18.

Now the noise layer is reduced.

This will make the landscape more smooth overall, and easier to traverse in a vehicle. See if you like that version.

A few more craters and burned forest get spawned in the default setting.

Unfotunately A18 does not look as good as A17 especially in the forest biome anymore when there are hills. Its too aggressive with the "stone" texture on slopes, and has less vegetation / trees spawning there. Overall hilly areas look more barren end empty.

Is it possible to add an option for Snow and Desert Biomes to never touch? It looks really weird.

Also don't know if its a bug but there are mini biomes that overlap in other biomes. Sometimes I'll see green grass and trees in snow biomes. You can tell you're in one when you walk over them and the screen color shifts. I don't know if it's because of A18 but I've never seen it happen in A17

Thank you for this! I've been playing a long time and never came across this until I wanted to create an 16k map - I had no problem creating the map (took a little less than an hour) and no problem loading it, been playing the map for a couple hours now and I'm loving it!! Way better than the default!

• SylenThunder changed the title to A19e Nitrogen - a Random World Generator for 7DTD
  • SylenThunder changed the title to A19e Nitrogen - UNSTABLE
  • SylenThunder locked this topic