Which electrical devices do you use?

Sjustus548

I'm trying to think of new horde base ideas that I want to try so I was looking thru the different electrical options that we have available.  That's when I realize that I don't use really any of the things that we can craft.  The few things we were using, Electric Fence and SMG Turrets, we had to remove due to them causing errors in the game.  Other than testing on creative worlds, I've never used the dart traps, pressure plates, trip wires, and most of the other electrical devices, though we finally put down some blade traps on day 150 and are really hoping they don't screw up the zombie pathfinding too much.  I want to use a wall of dart traps but don't know if they are really worth using compared to the turrets.  If you use some of these electrical devices how do you implement them in to your designs and do you find them worthwhile?

Every trap is worth it. A wall of dart traps that is looking into the zombies coming closer or being behind them is perfect. Or combine them sideways with electric fence and they will stay there being fcked by Darts :D

Door |

zombies ->

Dart Traps >

|  <-    <

[you are here]      |  <-    <

|  <-    <

This is a cheap drawing of what I mean. you see while they try hitting the doors you can stay behind and let the darts do the job or you only use 1 door and beside the door some Bars :D

Dart traps are very powerful especially at higher game difficulty levels as their damage doesn't scale. Since the higher your game difficulty the more the game lowers your damage output while buffing the zombies damage but their health stays the same. Which actually results in Dart traps being worse then shooting the zeds at default difficulty but at max difficulty are far superior than attacking them yourself. Note that the same most likely applies to Blade Traps and Electric Fences but does not apply to Turrets at all since bullet damage gets scaled lower the higher your game stage is.

Now the down side is that Dart Traps are very and I mean VERY iron hungry so expect to be mining a lot to keep them topped off with darts.

In my previous-semi-current game I used mostly blade traps and dart traps with pressure plates. I have in the to do list make my garage doors automatic with motion sensors.

In my current-current game I haven't reached the point where I can start using elecricity. But I'm planning to use lots of lights, blade and darts again and try the elecrical fence.

And too some sort of automatic entrance, so I can get with my bicycle (or even bike!) right into my base.

I love using traps to help with my horde defense. I use a hatch base, and at the choke points I have a double layer of electric fences and 8 dart traps. it decimates the zombies I'm facing right now (day 24). I'd like to add some blade traps at some point.

I just recently started playing around with traps too and now wondered why I waited so long. I put barbed wire right where the line of the electric fence is to slow zombies down.

Traps are fun to play with!

Not electric but I also tend to use robotic sledge with the burning shaft, weighted and rad remover mod.

1 minute ago, Samcharles said:

I just recently started playing around with traps too and now wondered why I waited so long. I put barbed wire right where the line of the electric fence is to slow zombies down.

Traps are fun to play with!

Not electric but I also tend to use robotic sledge with the burning shaft, weighted and rad remover mod.

I tried to use the robotic sledges with the same setup, both of mine were quality 6 so I also threw on another mod for some extra damage, but they let me down big time.  I put two down in front of me and had like 25 zombies run right at me to test them out.  All the zombies ran right past them and the sledges didn't do anything to stop them lol.  They were in the middle of their rotation and were staring right at each other so they didn't hit any of the zombies.  I like to imagine they were just laughing together at how they were going to let me die.  After that I just threw them in a box to rust.

58 minutes ago, pApA^LeGBa said:

Electric fence is a must for horde night. SMG turrets in my homebase and sometimes dart traps for the horde.

Sadly I can't use the electric fences in my world.  Something about them causes errors every time they do damage to a zombie.  I haven't tested them since 19.2 came out so maybe I'll be able to use them again.  I will start using dart traps though.  I'm thinking about having them set up so they are facing down with a pressure plate right below them.  So when the zombie steps on the plate it will shoot but I'm wondering if the darts would start to damage the plate and eventually break it.  Do you know whether the darts will cause damage to the plates or if I'm safe to do this?

11 minutes ago, Sjustus548 said:

I tried to use the robotic sledges with the same setup, both of mine were quality 6 so I also threw on another mod for some extra damage, but they let me down big time.  I put two down in front of me and had like 25 zombies run right at me to test them out.  All the zombies ran right past them and the sledges didn't do anything to stop them lol.  They were in the middle of their rotation and were staring right at each other so they didn't hit any of the zombies.  I like to imagine they were just laughing together at how they were going to let me die.  After that I just threw them in a box to rust.

Sadly I can't use the electric fences in my world.  Something about them causes errors every time they do damage to a zombie.  I haven't tested them since 19.2 came out so maybe I'll be able to use them again.  I will start using dart traps though.  I'm thinking about having them set up so they are facing down with a pressure plate right below them.  So when the zombie steps on the plate it will shoot but I'm wondering if the darts would start to damage the plate and eventually break it.  Do you know whether the darts will cause damage to the plates or if I'm safe to do this?

I have my dart traps facing eachother (from the side of my pathway), and they do not damage the other dart trap when they fire. I also have mine set up to only fire when zombies are on the pressure plates. I'm not 100% sure about the pressure plate taking damage if the dart trap is above, though.

2 hours ago, Sjustus548 said:

Robotic sledges are only really effective at choke points and when zombies have to slow down to jump or stop to beat on a door/bar/wall. As a result the ideal way to use them is at the top of a block stair way so the zeds have to jump up each block only for the sledge to knock them to the bottom to repeat the process. However just make sure the sledge always hits the zeds from the right and never front left to minimize the chance of setting off Demos. As any time the sledge hits a Demo from the front left it has a very high chance of triggering them but said chance is vastly reduced from just about all other angels.

3 hours ago, Sitcoms said:

I have my dart traps facing eachother (from the side of my pathway), and they do not damage the other dart trap when they fire. I also have mine set up to only fire when zombies are on the pressure plates. I'm not 100% sure about the pressure plate taking damage if the dart trap is above, though.

I prefer to use trip wires with them so they are behind walls and protected from damage, especially from demos. Pair them up with electric fences to stun the zeds and keeps dart usage way down. I also have them hooked up to switch so I only turn them one when I feel overwhelmed or when demos show up.   

5 hours ago, Sjustus548 said:

You should post your problem in general support. Make sure you read the sticky thread first.

No clue about the dart traps and block damage tbh. If i use them, they usually shoot them in the back, so if they hit blocks, it´s the same blocks that got hit by the puke from cops or vultures. But if you wanna make sure you don´t damage your pressure plate adjust the timing so you don´t have to place them right above.

On 10/22/2020 at 1:47 PM, Psychodabble said:

Blade traps, fences, SMG turrets. Just added dart traps, so we'll see how that works out. 

Pictures here.

UPDATE: The dart traps worked great. I have them positioned above the zombies shooting down and they helped me take down my first 3 Demos - no explosions. Complete base repairs finished in 2 hours of game time, default day length.

I used to run a pit base with blade traps in crucial drop zones, which would hack the legs off of zombies and slow down their return but the AI changed in recent versions and they're not as good as they used to be. Now I just use a switch to pour solar electricity through lamps to light up the base and zombies beating at the walls.

The defense is purely passive - triple steel wall, four blocks high, surrounding a narrow-foundation tower-like base, which has cornices running around high enough above the wall to let me nuke the Zs with a rocket launcher. Gets me 5-7 levels every horde night even past character level 100. Also I'm doing a 64 zombie horde.

Archived