Titanium as an Official resource and Crafting Mat

KotCP

Would be nice to add Titanium to the game.  You can even keep an semblance of difficulty with trying to make it much the same way as RealLife requires special sensitive tech to forge it.

Adding a specialized forge that requires your base to have a functional electrical system to play a role in powering the forge, since you would need electronic components to monitor the forging process of Titanium and the delicate balance of temperature and pressure needed to extract a usable purified form of Titanium.

Adding an Advanced workbench that has a slightly higher tech look to it as well as requiring the Electrical system to power, in order to deal with some of the quarks titanium comes with when using it in a production environment.

Then all the reasonably expected additional next Tier above Steel to titanium Tools, Armors, Building blocks and Special Mods made using Titanium that enhance performance of tools and weapons.

Ah, right, still, would be nice to have Titanium gear that cost less stamina and has more Durability.

Should still be plenty of room to add Tungsten as well.  And even then there is still Tungsten Carbonate and Titanium Carbonate, which I would require an Advanced electrical Chem station for.

actually titanium is stronger than steel, about 60% the weight, but its brittle, so you'd more than likely have it as a more powerful tool thats less durable and swings faster/uses less stamina.

realistically titanium doesn't make terribly good tools, weapons or armor, its best used for structural bracing due to its overall strength, but its fragility makes it weak to sheer forces that normal tools would be subjected to.

Edited by Noxulous (see edit history)

i should have said "repetitive sheer forces" then obviously it can withstand a great amount of stress a limited number of times, but that limited number is lower than something with more viscosity. and obviously a thick piece like that will be more resilient to falling apart the way actual plate armor could, given that real armor would not be nearly that thick for many logistical reasons, not least of which would be rarity and cost, but also it would defeat the purpose of using a lighter metal, but a thicker piece of titanium is only a band aid for its over all brittleness, repetitive concussive force that body armor would have to withstand would cause the armor to deteriorate far too fast to have any practical use at titanium's overall cost and rarity.

but yes your video of a redneck testing a very thick plate of a technicality very hard metal is very interesting.

realistically if you want upgrades to the normal steel tools, the different alloys and treatments of steel should be the first logical step towards that, such as tool steel (steel alloyed with molybdenum) tempered steel, and certain forms of stainless steel like 2cr13 stainless. tungsten and titanium are just impractical for normal tool/weapon/armor uses.

You say all that, yet the military uses Titanium in its Airframes.

Why would the military use Titanium Airframes if your concern about brittleness was a real issue? 

Fighter Jets would be getting subjected to tons of repeating sheering forces all the time.

I think you are making up excuses to say it is a bad idea.

And the only reason why Titanium is rare, due to most of the ore pockets being inaccessible and in Russia.  The technology needed to refine Titanium has come a long way, especially with computer controlled technology.  So forging Titanium isn't a problem anymore.  It is almost entirely accessibility now.

The whole idea that Titanium is too brittle seems way off with the many things I have seen done with it.

Edited by KotCP (see edit history)

airframes aren't subjected to the same sheer forces tools would be, significant forces sure, but not the same, and the reason they would use it is because of its relative strength/weight ratio, but what you're suggesting has nothing to do with aircraft, and there's alot of good reasons people dont use titanium to make tools, cost being a technically irrelevant one to this conversation, but its lack of viscosity being one of the major ones. and i dont want to make up excuses as to why it wouldn't work, i'm just saying it wouldn't because realistically it just wouldn't. the reason it seems off from what you've seen done with it is because the companies who tend to make use of it already know its strengths, weaknesses and tolerances enough to know that even if it worked, and worked well, it wouldn't work for long.

in fact its such an issue that various companies all over the world are trying to find a cheaper, slightly tougher alloy to replace it for its strength and weight, and have been messing with an aluminum iron alloy, trying to add things like bismuth and nickel to make it less brittle (because iron and aluminum make a super brittle metal as well) and supposedly they managed to make an alloy that was about as strong and almost as light, and slightly more ductile that titanium at about 1/10 the price of materials, that was so recent and it was in another country so i doubt we've done anything with the discovery, much to my chagrin.

i will admit that titanium tools do in fact exist, but but they are all an alloy of titanium and usually trace elements that dont exist in 7 days to die, so to make it work, alloying would need to be added to the game, which i'm 100% in favor of.

On 9/26/2020 at 2:55 AM, KotCP said:

Adding a specialized forge that requires your base to have a functional electrical system to play a role in powering the forge, since you would need electronic components to monitor the forging process of Titanium and the delicate balance of temperature and pressure needed to extract a usable purified form of Titanium.

Adding an Advanced workbench that has a slightly higher tech look to it as well as requiring the Electrical system to power, in order to deal with some of the quarks titanium comes with when using it in a production environment.

This is a cool idea. It could open up quite a bit of new stuff for super late game.  I really want some more “electrical stuff” to be added to make and this would be perfect way to gate some crafting tech.

I like the idea of a titanium/tungsten combo being added. Titanium being light, tungsten being tough you get the balance; do you want lighter and less taxing tools or more durable and heavy? 

I don't know that it's something that would add a lot for me however, as getting a good supply of steel for how I play is already a bit of a chore, and adding a tier would be kind of eh. But I do enjoy the idea, I know I'm not the only playstyle. 

14 hours ago, doughphunghus said:

This is a cool idea. It could open up quite a bit of new stuff for super late game.  I really want some more “electrical stuff” to be added to make and this would be perfect way to gate some crafting tech.

Half the reason for suggesting the Titanium idea was also for the Electrical Systems Advanced Controlled Forge/Workbench/ChemStation idea to be introduced.

It would be nice to be able to create a wider variety off things threw them and using a wider range of materials.  There are chemical bonds in certain metal alloys that need the use of computer controled systems in order to make possible after all, due tot he precise technical measurements and timing needed to become possible.

If the FunPimps ever manage to add Friendly NPCs that are mobile, functional, loadout equipable and able to help with base defense and stuff, could add a whole new theme to the game of a Restore Society in a War against the Zeds type story line, where you also have to figure out what happen that lead to this Zombie apocalypses, that in some patchs, seemed to have a Nuclear Apocalypses directions for a while as well.  The only thing they haven't done yet is add an alien invasion Apocalypses element to it yet.  they would also be the first to do so, if they did add an Alien involved Apocalypses.

I think having the wider range of materials, tools, and equipment that Titanium, Tungsten and Alloyed metals and meta materials created threw Computer controlled Electrical Advanced crafting stations would bring to the game would be an important part in providing a lot more fun game play variety as well as fitting for an expanded game storyline and endgame goal.  Would just need NPCs to be capable of both fighting, mining, farming, cooking, running a store and selling trash loot, while allowing for patrol paths to be set-able. 

But all that would be a ways off, so the only thing within reason, for right now, would be to ask for a couple new resources and relevant advanced crafting stations.

• 2 months later...

Probably would use a Blast or Electric Arc Furnace to Smelt them. Should probably be a trace element type find in ores when mining, similar to the book that gives you gems on a rare chance. Also could find trace amounts in Secret Stash or the big loot boxes with high loot levels, or Trader with 5/5 Barter. Rather than making tools and armor with it, how about Titanium Plate mod for armor that reduces weight/stamina loss while keeping durability and rating the same, and Titanium Grip Mod for the weapons for the same purpose?

• 2 months later...

actually yall titanium is the strongest metal in existence its not only stronger than even stainless steel but as many of u said it is in fact much lighter than all types of steel if any of yall know TAOFLADERMAUS a shotgun slug tester in California he actually tested titanium slugs and nothing they shot it at could deform the slug. BTW they reloaded the exact same slug into many shells and none of the hard targets could hurt the slug apart from some tiny scratches. oh and this slug was hollow in the back so that goes to show yall just how strong titanium is. also the ballistic machinist made titanium slugs in two designs the second one looks like a little missile just like the first slug this newer one was hollow in the back obviously to make it nose heavy but just like the first slug none of the hard targets could deform the slug. in a mod I found the titanium blocks spikes and blade traps have a whopping 100000 HP and since the titanium blade traps are lighter than steel they only require 1 wat of electricity to power as opposed to 20 wats for the regular steel blade traps. so if they do add titanium it would obviously be an extremely late game material as the current mining and refining process we have for titanium in real life takes up to 6 months. just like real life titanium the mod makes it extremely difficult to produce titanium as a reference to the real life extraction of titanium ore from sand dunes the mod makes you use concrete mix and sand to extract the ore in a cement mixer however you need 30 units of sand and 50 units of concrete mix to make just 1 mixture of titanium so yall can imagine how expensive all titanium items are so I don't use it for solid blocks only for nearly indestructible tools and blade traps. and yes we would need extreme blast furnaces to forge the titanium but once yall get all that done the titanium will serve its purpose perfectly

On 9/29/2020 at 5:53 AM, Noxulous said:

actually titanium is stronger than steel, about 60% the weight, but its brittle, so you'd more than likely have it as a more powerful tool thats less durable and swings faster/uses less stamina.

realistically titanium doesn't make terribly good tools, weapons or armor, its best used for structural bracing due to its overall strength, but its fragility makes it weak to sheer forces that normal tools would be subjected to.

I have an answer for the whole brittleness thing. to start after separating the titanium from chlorine and magnesium (the use of magnesium in the refining process is one of the big reasons why titanium products are so expensive) through a powerful separator vacuum your left with what's called titanium sponge because its full of holes. what they do next is they crush the metal sponge into smaller granules and after some special chemical testing to determine the strength the titanium chunks are ready to be turned into ingots. this process begins with compressing hundreds or even thousands of granules at a time with thousands of tons of force to press the titanium into a half round block now this is where the titanium would be extremely brittle as at this point its just a bunch of compressed granules so if u shoot it with steel bullets the block at this stage may shatter. but what they do next is they throw the compressed blocks into a giant blast furnace where the forging process begins now here the titanium is forged into a pure solid block. next they put the blocks into another furnace going up to 2500 degrees farinheight it needs to be that high because at this point the titanium is so immensely strong u need extreme heat for this next part. next they remove the blocks from the furnace while still blazing hot and use another mechanical press to squish the blocks this is where titanium sheets for air frames take shape. so now that yall know a bit about how titanium is refined i dont see how refined solid titanium could be in any way brittle. but the biggest problem i see with titanium is that its so damn expensive.

• 7 months later...
On 10/4/2020 at 9:40 AM, Noxulous said:

the reason it seems off from what you've seen done with it is because the companies who tend to make use of it already know its strengths, weaknesses and tolerances enough to know that even if it worked, and worked well, it wouldn't work for long.

thank you. this thread is extremely silly. Titanium has its uses, holding edges and making repetitive high-intertia impacts are not some of those uses.

Titanium is chiefly useful as a structural material, and you will have a much better idea of its properties if you think of it as "situational side-grade to aluminum" rather than "lighter steel". Titanium is constantly in vogue because you can make truthful claims about its properties that laymen will not understand are not necessarily important. That said, here are some other situationally useful metals that you can buzzword sci-fi vogue your brain on:

Beryllium Metal, Magnesium Metal, Niobium, Vanadium, Scandium (specifically aluminum-scandium alloys), Manganese, Samarium-Cobalt, Yttrium Optical Garnet, Palladium, Iridium, Osmium, Molybdenum

1 hour ago, PastelHarmonics said:

thank you. this thread is extremely silly. Titanium has its uses, holding edges and making repetitive high-intertia impacts are not some of those uses.

Titanium is chiefly useful as a structural material, and you will have a much better idea of its properties if you think of it as "situational side-grade to aluminum" rather than "lighter steel". Titanium is constantly in vogue because you can make truthful claims about its properties that laymen will not understand are not necessarily important. That said, here are some other situationally useful metals that you can buzzword sci-fi vogue your brain on:

Beryllium Metal, Magnesium Metal, Niobium, Vanadium, Scandium (specifically aluminum-scandium alloys), Manganese, Samarium-Cobalt, Yttrium Optical Garnet, Palladium, Iridium, Osmium, Molybdenum

Im not guaranteeing anything but some of the metals u mentioned may have special capabillities as many sci-fi stories love to depict (again i could be wrong) but titanium is without a doubt the strongest metal in existence but the metal hasn't replaced steel in everything because ever since titanium started to be used mostly for SR71s in the 60s we still dont have any methods in existence that would allow us to mass produce titanium (nobody does) and as of right now titanium can only be mined deep underground or at sand dunes which that along with the super complex refining process takes many months just to make titanium bars or whatever is needed thus making titanium so damn expensive.