Storage Solutions

iamnuff

What do yall use for storing your crap back at base? 

Standard Secure Wooden Chests were the go-to for a long time... but they're kinda boring.

They all look the same, the wood look is kinda out of place in a lot of bases, and they don't hold a huge amount. 

Storage crates are the next step up. Takes nails to build, listed in crafting as 'wooden furniture/containers' and can be reshaped like wood frames to give you many different shapes. 

Most of the shapes are more-or-less useless, because they have rubbish storage capacity, but the crates are nice, have tons of space and can be painted with plenty of designs. 

Sure, you can make a gun-crate, a medical-crate and a food-crate, or you could paint a crate like a beer-cabinet or an oven. Because it's a 1x1 cube, it can be painted to look like pretty much any other block. A sink, a big chunky pillbox

They even stack, which is nice. 

Hmm I wonder if I could use two to make a standing fridge?

Anyway, 

I thought to myself  "If the wooden furniture blocks can do all this, I wonder what the metal ones can turn into?" 

Well, that was a disappointment. You can make lockers, but they don't have much storage space in them at all, which is a shame. I would have liked to make a locker and store guns in it, or suchlike. 

Most of the other stuff just seemed like junk. 

There's also that green drawer that you can embed into walls, but it makes an annoying noise every time you use it. 

The safe and gunsafe exist too, but IIRC those are a bit small, given how many resources they take to build. 

So... what do other people use to store stuff? Ya'll got anything interesting or are you a bunch of boring Secure Storage Chest users? 

I usually use the storage blocks that i feel fit into the environment.  Cabinets with food and nature-loot in the kitchen, storage boxes with all mechanical stuff in my workshop, lockers and medical cabinets in the bathroom, plain chests next to the forge... It all depends on the look of the building around me! 😅

Crates, Storage Chests, and Furniture are what I tend to use, plus the 1 block Drink Fridge. I have found myself wanting to fix up the tall Freezers too, but I don't think that's an option.

Hmm, this has me wondering if the various safes can be crafted and used.

8 hours ago, iamnuff said:

Sure, you can make a gun-crate, a medical-crate and a food-crate, or you could paint a crate like a beer-cabinet or an oven. Because it's a 1x1 cube, it can be painted to look like pretty much any other block. A sink, a big chunky pillbox

This, but even more crates. Food, drinks, raw food, garden-stuff, fireguns, arrow-weapons, meele-weapons, ammunition, materials, raw materials, building-stuff, clothes, armor, toos, medicine, ....

Hmm I wonder if I could use two to make a standing fridge?

Iirc there are no textures for a fridge. We usually use this drink cooler texture on top and the dish washer for the lower box as a "fake fridge". We also would like to have a fridge... i already said to my mate, we already have nearly endless ressources, use creative menu and cheat one in, but he still refuses "cheating". ;)

More anoying is to sort your loot into all these crates. It was pretty easy and very fast with the back-pack-button-mod. But with A19 TFP did there own much worse, almost-useless implementation and the mod seems not to work anymore.

11 hours ago, Hyperbolt said:

I usually use the storage blocks that i feel fit into the environment.  Cabinets with food and nature-loot in the kitchen, storage boxes with all mechanical stuff in my workshop, lockers and medical cabinets in the bathroom, plain chests next to the forge... It all depends on the look of the building around me! 😅

Don't the cabinets have a lot less storage space than the crates? 

Or do you mean that you make crates and paint them to look like cabinets ? 

I sort of hope that TFP tiers the storage options and balances them accordingly, and then allow for decoration customization not to affect those capacities. So like wood-tier is the smalled level, and then metal tier, and then maybe mechanical/electrical tier have the largest capacity. I also wouldn't mind electrical safes and puzzles to add in a higher difficulty to POIs so like either players can return to a POI with the right electrical parts, or pound down the door/safe. Sort of an alternative to lockpicking.

well not necessary furniture .... but wood crate should be base ..  storage box mid step ... and expensive safe endgame

now we have wood box from wood ...   storage box thats easy with forge and by bfar largest .... and safes that cost 40 forged steel and offer  1/4  or even less space than storage box  (even gunsafe that takes  double space)

At first the wooden secure containers, once we have steel then we be replacing them with steel drawers (the green ones making annoying noise), as these are the the most convenient - being rather large internally and almost not sticking out from walls so they do not prevent you getting close to the walls. 

However, I have been wondering but have been too lazy to look it up - is there a way to add labels on top of containers? I do not mean wooden signs you can add next to a container, but a way for the text to appear actually ON the container. 

5 minutes ago, Tehnomaag said:

However, I have been wondering but have been too lazy to look it up - is there a way to add labels on top of containers? I do not mean wooden signs you can add next to a container, but a way for the text to appear actually ON the container. 

One of the shape options on the storage crates is a writable crate that lets you add/change a label at any time by holding "e" on it.

12 hours ago, iamnuff said:

Don't the cabinets have a lot less storage space than the crates? 

Or do you mean that you make crates and paint them to look like cabinets ? 

No no, i use the real cabinets, and yes, they are alot smaller... But in a kitchen i dont have just one cabinet, i have like, 10!  And if there is no more space, i put the excess items into a deep storage, which is a some sort of big archive for items that im probably not gonna need anytime soon. 

On 9/21/2020 at 1:59 PM, Liesel Weppen said:

Can you link it?

But still great solution from TFP if i still need a mod to make it really functional again. Especially if there was a mod for some years that did it perfectly. :D

https://community.7daystodie.com/topic/19558-khaines-a19-modlets-bigger-backpacks-backpack-buttons-hp-bars-etc/?tab=comments#comment-368342

On 9/22/2020 at 8:21 AM, Hyperbolt said:

No no, i use the real cabinets, and yes, they are alot smaller... But in a kitchen i dont have just one cabinet, i have like, 10!  And if there is no more space, i put the excess items into a deep storage, which is a some sort of big archive for items that im probably not gonna need anytime soon. 

That's awful. I can't imagine storing my food items in ten different containers. How do you keep anything organised? 

On 9/21/2020 at 4:30 AM, Hyperbolt said:

I usually use the storage blocks that i feel fit into the environment.  Cabinets with food and nature-loot in the kitchen, storage boxes with all mechanical stuff in my workshop, lockers and medical cabinets in the bathroom

Basically this, too. With the exception of using gunsafes for weapons and more storage boxes for all craftable/forge material.

If you want, you could also spawn some furniture just for the looks (and toss away some materials in exchange) or buy it from the trader.

We've been using a lot of the elements that were in the house we claimed and it's a bit roleplay-y. We keep our coffee in the coffee maker, and made some extra storage for a lot of the component loot, but we utilize a lot of the free space given. 

As for customizing, I really kinda back a portion of that. But it's still in Alpha and I'm not sweating the wooden crates over using better materials right now. I'm also not in a position where a steel crate would be better, but you CAN make the gunsafes if you need that extra rigidity. 

17 hours ago, iamnuff said:

That's awful. I can't imagine storing my food items in ten different containers. How do you keep anything organised? 

Just as 12pack replied in the comment after!   But to tell the truth, i acutally enjoy having stuff in many different places, it give me a reason to run around in all rooms and floors of my house! I know its not optimal, but as long as im enjoying it... Then thats the main thing! 😁

3 hours ago, th3s0n1c said:

Basically this, too. With the exception of using gunsafes for weapons and more storage boxes for all craftable/forge material.

If you want, you could also spawn some furniture just for the looks (and toss away some materials in exchange) or buy it from the trader.

Agree, i use gunsafes too! I really miss that we cant craft refrigirators and stoves and some i other electrical devices anymore. Yes, buy at traders, thats indeed an option! 

I already run around the house enough just trying to find what i'm after, or grabbing stuff from this chest and that chest so i'm ready to go out, or come back in. 

The 'stack items from inventory into chest' option is nice, but I wish there was a way to lock some items to not do that, or lock specific slots to not do it. 

Twice now, I've accidentally packed away all of my food and ammo and then gone outside with nothing. 

Though now I've got an ammo box created, that's not so much of an issue. 

It's a really nice way to get all the car-parts out of my inventory after I go dismantling or something though. 

Makes packing random gubbins away a lot easier. 

15 hours ago, iamnuff said:

I already run around the house enough just trying to find what i'm after, or grabbing stuff from this chest and that chest so i'm ready to go out, or come back in. 

The 'stack items from inventory into chest' option is nice, but I wish there was a way to lock some items to not do that, or lock specific slots to not do it. 

Twice now, I've accidentally packed away all of my food and ammo and then gone outside with nothing. 

Though now I've got an ammo box created, that's not so much of an issue. 

It's a really nice way to get all the car-parts out of my inventory after I go dismantling or something though. 

Makes packing random gubbins away a lot easier. 

https://community.7daystodie.com/topic/19558-khaines-a19-modlets-bigger-backpacks-backpack-buttons-hp-bars-etc/?tab=comments#comment-368342

Archived