Alpha 19 progresses too slow

~Kevin~

Lot of stuff about alpha 19 to like, but the game is a slow motion grind.  I understand why the developers may have wanted to slow progress down, but this is ridiculous.

Graphics are nice, music is wonderful, and very sad.   I lost one of my dogs in July, and listening to the music brings me to tears it is so sad.

I feel there should be some kind of passive skill progression, such as strength.  Passive skill progression is one reason why I loved Alpha 16 so much.  While you were waiting on the level up, passive skills were leveling.

I find the new progression curve about perfect. D24 in my game and just got the chem station, have the workbench and mixer already. Have the steel club, a steel shovel and iron pick. Compound Bow with steel arrows, decent AK for hunting and horde night dogs/cops and a magnum and pistol that sit in a box. Just got off the bicycle and bought a motorcycle so all I lack now is the crucible. I wouldn't expect nor even want this stuff any sooner than I got it. Well done TFP!

Until they fix the traders right now you can basically "skip" the stone age insofar as weaponry goes by getting large stacks of bullets as a quest reward and usually you'll be able to buy a level one version of the associated firearm for 400 Dukes in the Secret Stash, regardless of what your bartering level is, which is a T1 Quest Reward plus selling one or two looted Blunderbusses. 

12 hours ago, Jugginator said:

The "Homeday" music gets on my nerves to be honest. But, besides what Roland said, turning down the 24-hour cycle speeds things up, too. 

This is the main reason I disabled the dynamic music this alpha. Who the hell thought we would want to listen to some KennyG elevator music the whole time we were in our base?

I personally couldn't disagree more. I feel the progression is absolutely spot on. I would say perhaps if you are ahead of the challenge that you should increase the difficulty to advance the gamestage faster. However my conclusion is a bit blinded by the fact that I always play with max experience and damage. So my game goes much faster than most. Also my blood moons are literally all night of fighting constantly that never stops for a moment, which I love. I will be using like 1000+ bullets on my second blood moon and they will be coming from 10:00 to 4:00. I also set blood moons for 10 days but my days are 60 minutes.

17 hours ago, JCrook1028 said:

I find the new progression curve about perfect. D24 in my game and just got the chem station, have the workbench and mixer already. Have the steel club, a steel shovel and iron pick. Compound Bow with steel arrows, decent AK for hunting and horde night dogs/cops and a magnum and pistol that sit in a box. Just got off the bicycle and bought a motorcycle so all I lack now is the crucible. I wouldn't expect nor even want this stuff any sooner than I got it. Well done TFP!

18 hours ago, myrkana said:

It's really not that slow. Day 18 and we have steel tools, auger, chainsaw, 4 cement mixers, 2 workbenches, a chembench. We have tier 3 weapons both melee and ranged. It's really not that slow.

How do yall get your stuff so fast?  I am going on week three and am nowhere near getting steel, or a chem station.

Lots of looting. When I loot early game I wrench down everything in sight and leaving a steaming empty hulk of a POI behind me. Quite often call in screamers from the disassembly heat in fact. Then sell all that crap to the trader. Early game I sell 90% of all elec, mech and plastic parts. Also scrap all the radiators and sell it along with all the other brass I get early game. In A20 this will change when they balance the traders but for now if you're progressing slowly it's because you choose to. Fact.

Motorcycle I bought for 18k ( I wear a cigar, never bother buying better barter, waste of points. )

Chem station bought for 7.2k

workbench and cement mixer found schematics for.

Compound Bow lvl 3 - bought

Iron Pickaxe - bought

Steel Shovel - bought

AK - bought

Steel arrows - bought

Steel club - bought

1 hour ago, JCrook1028 said:

Motorcycle I bought for 18k ( I wear a cigar, never bother buying better barter, waste of points. )

Chem station bought for 7.2k

workbench and cement mixer found schematics for.

Compound Bow lvl 3 - bought

Iron Pickaxe - bought

Steel Shovel - bought

AK - bought

Steel arrows - bought

Steel club - bought

So you are buying the stuff rather than crafting.

seems rather lame to give people who buy fast access rather than making them wait until they get the points like everyone else.

I rarely deal with the traders.

I made an account specifically to discuss this. I have 800 hours in this game since A16 and personally I feel that the new A19 loot system is trash. It turns the early game into a complete chore. It has completely sucked the fun out of the game. Your chances of finding that early weapon or auger are gone. There's no point wading through zombie fun houses for the loot in the crates because it's stone tools and blunderbusses as far as the eye can see.

The early game didn't need adjusting. That was the fun part. Delaying how long it takes to get to end game is not a solution for having no end game content. The solution is, shockingly, to add end game content. Add more item sinks. Maybe a chance for guns to be rendered useless after so many repairs. Add some kind of exceedingly difficult quest that require you to fortify a random POI within a given time and protect an objective. Something.

First fix the stone age. It's the most idiotic and short-sighted thing I've seen since the arbitrary level barriers on certain items/perks in A17. This is a sandbox game. It's supposed to be fun and open ended. Stop putting limits on the fun.

It mostly depends on how long your days are set at. Day 15 on 90min days as a 3 man group, with 125% experience, and we're slowly finding decent T2 stuff. Definitely way too slow for our taste but then again we lack about 15 GS compared to the same time played on 60 min days. 

11 hours ago, Pastor Of Muppets said:

I made an account specifically to discuss this. I have 800 hours in this game since A16 and personally I feel that the new A19 loot system is trash. It turns the early game ......snip.....

The early game didn't need adjusting. That was the fun part. Delaying how long it takes to get to end game is not a solution for having no end game content. The solution is, shockingly, to add end game content. Add more item sinks. Maybe a chance for guns to be rendered useless after so many repairs. Add some kind of exceedingly difficult quest that require you to fortify a random POI within a given time and protect an objective. Something.

One of my biggest complaints about 7 days to die is how the difficulty levels off.  Once a good base is built, 7 day hordes are just an inconvenience.

A16 was almost perfect, then the developers screwed everything up.

On 9/12/2020 at 4:31 PM, ~Kevin~ said:

One of my biggest complaints about 7 days to die is how the difficulty levels off.  Once a good base is built, 7 day hordes are just an inconvenience.

A16 was almost perfect, then the developers screwed everything up.

"Once a good base is built, 7 day hordes are just an inconvenience.". That is exactly what I would say about A16. And the bigger trouble was that such a base was absolutely trivial to build and building something more complicated was just a waste of time

In A19 you can build bases where non-demo hordes have no chance as well, but one mistake and you might get into trouble or even have your base overrun. And there is a big difference in how you setup your traps.

(Just to be safe: I'm NOT talking about exploit bases here. And funneling the zombies for example is definitely not an exploit in a **tower defense** game)

Archived