Generating towns...........hurry up dammit

ElCabong

How parallelized is the code? While I can see having a hotter CPU might help, it's a 4 core I5 about three years old. (maybe four. Time blurs over time)

Adding more cores might not do me any good. If I splurged and got a real barn burner, it might not get any faster for lots of reasons. It could be I/O bound, faster cpu's wouldn't help. It might  only use one cpu so having six (or more) would not help.

I'm still generating towns.

It mostly uses the GPU for this now, but you do need to have decent core hardware.  My old i7-3930k overclocked to 4.5GHz would do an 8k map in about 20 minutes. My R9 3900X overclocked to 4.25GHz does it in about 15. Both used the same overclocked GTX 1060 6GB GPU. CPU cores are almost doubled with the Ryzen, and that's nearly 10 years difference between the architecture.

Edit: Also note that in both systems, it was using all the cores. In the older 3930k they were about 70% load, in the R9 it was more like 30%.

As i and someone else said before... use NitroGen. Just use it, plain and simple. RWG from the game itself barely puts the new POIs in a map. I generated 3 different ones and i had the same issue with all of them. NitroGen just does a thousand times better job.

An 8k map takes... about 3 minutes or so?

What @Kyonshi said. It´s way faster and you have a ton of options. How many cities, how large they are, how close the buildings are to each other, wich biomes you want to have. Want more farms on the map? No problem. Don´t like mountains? Make a totally flat world.

Even if the RWG in game becomes better, i doubt we will ever have as much options as Nitrogen has. TFP seems to be allergic against players having a choice...

47 minutes ago, pApA^LeGBa said:

TFP seems to be allergic against players having a choice.

It's more that they are trying to align map generation to fit with the story and other quests when they arrive in the future. Something Nitrogen will not work with very well.

It should also be noted that Nitrogen is about 30 builds behind, has not been updated, and is not as great as you guys make it out to be. It's got more than plenty generation bugs, and doesn't do as good of a job with the terrain as the built-in tool does.  It's a cheap hack that gives you some more options at the cost of stability. The author has been MIA for over a month now, and the only update was one release for a19 on July 5th.

3 hours ago, SylenThunder said:

It mostly uses the GPU for this now, but you do need to have decent core hardware.  My old i7-3930k overclocked to 4.5GHz would do an 8k map in about 20 minutes. My R9 3900X overclocked to 4.25GHz does it in about 15. Both used the same overclocked GTX 1060 6GB GPU. CPU cores are almost doubled with the Ryzen, and that's nearly 10 years difference between the architecture.

Edit: Also note that in both systems, it was using all the cores. In the older 3930k they were about 70% load, in the R9 it was more like 30%.

Oh I didn't think about using the GPU. It came with the system and I'm overdue for an upgrade but I'm waiting until I buy something that has a problem with the gtx970.

6 hours ago, SylenThunder said:

It's more that they are trying to align map generation to fit with the story and other quests when they arrive in the future. Something Nitrogen will not work with very well.

It should also be noted that Nitrogen is about 30 builds behind, has not been updated, and is not as great as you guys make it out to be. It's got more than plenty generation bugs, and doesn't do as good of a job with the terrain as the built-in tool does.  It's a cheap hack that gives you some more options at the cost of stability. The author has been MIA for over a month now, and the only update was one release for a19 on July 5th.

Well.

NitroGen certainly has its hiccups, i wont deny. But there's nothing dramatically game-breaking either. So far, i've never encountered anything catastrophic since last January and im being close to 1000 hours on the game.

Give me the choice to wait 15 minutes for a RWG map from the base game, with barely any New POIs, vs 3 and less minutes on NitroGen and i'll pick the later anytime. The only thing i appreciate from 7DtD RWG is how it makes nice street layout and grids compared to the non-sensical building clusters NitroGen creates. But that's something i can live with and i enjoy when my map actually contains the new POIs. Sorry but NitroGen wins on this track and its pretty unanimous. 🤷🏻‍♂️

8 hours ago, SylenThunder said:

I gave the built-in RWG three attempts on A19 B180. Each map was more glitched than the three maps I built in Nitrogen V 0.501 by a significant margin - Water flooding the map, mountain passes with holes to infinity, and a host of other issues. We were really looking forward to seeing what the new "no dupe POI" feature was going to do. I've got to stick with what is working and Nitrogen works and works fast. I built our last 10K map in less than 5 minutes on my rig. I and several others flew all over the map looking for bugs...and couldn't find one. I don't even care about the time as much as I just want stable clean maps. I look forward to what the Fun Pimps do, but for now...It's Nitrogen for the win.

@SylenThunder I do use it. I have zero problems.

A better job with the terrain? Are you kidding me? Even one of the pregen maps has a gravel road that suddenly turns 90°. Not right or left. Up and becomes a wall leading to a POI that stands on a cube of terrain. That´s not happening with Nitrogen.

I get it, you need to be on the side of TFP here. But no stability? Nope. And he might be offline for a while, still gonna prefer it over the built in because it simply makes the better maps.

There is a reason that nearly everyone who tried nitrogen, keeps using it instead of the built in RWG.

RWG is still not in it´s final state afaik, so let´s see. But for now, Nitrogen is the way to go for me.

How does the story line fit in tough? Is the story line not gonna be navezgane exclusive? Also story matters, yes. But only once for most people. I mean surprise me and give me a story i want to play again, that would be nice. Rarely ever happened in a video game tough.

I've personally had a ton of issues out of Nitrogen in a19, tons of areas that just, don't generate. Just massive flat dirt plains with nothing on them, that show up really buggy on the map. Most of the map generates fine, but maybe ~25% of it is totally busted and some other aspects of it generate really oddly. Nitrogen is pretty obviously outdated as hell and I imagine it's going to continually get worse if the guy ends up not coming back.

Can only hope RWG becomes less terrible before then.

22 hours ago, SylenThunder said:

It's a cheap hack 

that is 3x as fast has far better poi distribution and much much better terrain generation. If it’s a cheap hack that speaks volumes about the pimps RWG

ps oh and even though it hasn’t been updated I’ve been using  it with the latest build and have very very few issues

42 minutes ago, Teacyn said:

I've personally had a ton of issues out of Nitrogen in a19, tons of areas that just, don't generate. Just massive flat dirt plains with nothing on them, that show up really buggy on the map. Most of the map generates fine, but maybe ~25% of it is totally busted and some other aspects of it generate really oddly. Nitrogen is pretty obviously outdated as hell and I imagine it's going to continually get worse if the guy ends up not coming back.

Can only hope RWG becomes less terrible before then.

Odd ive generated 12 maps on a19 and had none of this whatsoever 

probably a dumb question but have you verified your files

I have noticed those as well, always just assumed they were a result of my tendency to turn the flat setting up pretty high (better than halfway).

Aside from the fact that they are VERY flat, it is pretty easy to imagine them as dry lake beds and they make a great place for a horde base.

On 9/2/2020 at 8:12 AM, ElCabong said:

How parallelized is the code? While I can see having a hotter CPU might help, it's a 4 core I5 about three years old. (maybe four. Time blurs over time)

Adding more cores might not do me any good. If I splurged and got a real barn burner, it might not get any faster for lots of reasons. It could be I/O bound, faster cpu's wouldn't help. It might  only use one cpu so having six (or more) would not help.

I'm still generating towns.

one word.  Nitrogen

Archived