More biomes?

Stanko

Hi, first post here :)

I really love this game and I was playing it way back from the earliest alphas. My first memory was that one night me and two of my buddies spent in the church (ofc it had to be there) as we were whispering in discord trying not to atract zombies, being scared, hungry (in game) and planning our next day so we can hope to survive. I loved the new features the later alphas introduced - this critical health system works great btw, havent explored it fully but I think it was missing a stomach critical that can make you vomit and reduce your hunger or something similar with water too.

Anyways back on the topic. Me and my friends were taking a walk in the forest near my town (real life) and I felt the urge to play again 7dtd so I convinced them to. As we were exploring in real life I started wondering what other biomes can be added in the game. Obviously we have the forest and more post apocalyptic wasteland which represented our real slums of a kind. Desert and Snow - awesome biomes had to be there, very happy with them too. Burnt forest is great also - especially for a forest guy like myself. So what more can be added?

Well for starters a proper Mountains biome would be great - as I wrote I love hiking and exploring and going through the mountains in an enviroment where zombies can attack at any moment makes it way more exiting. I know the forest kind of have that and I know it have some awesome caves too but I just feel it could have something more there. Obviously the Mountans biome is the go to biome for Iron and stone and should have Gray as a color on the map.

Speaking of my hiking passion - what I noticed is that how in real life there are bushes all around which hinder our movement if we decide to go through them and that sparked another idea - what about some Jungle biome ? Obviously there needs to be some new tree models and some vines but hey, it would be cool to slash trough some vines and poisonous spores ( the game needs more elements btw, fire and electricity is not enough I think ) all while some feral zombies lurk around - sounds awesome. Jungle's color could be Lime on the map.

Another idea for biome, that could be easily implemented and even don't need new objects - Swamplands. I was thinking of watery biome and that's what I came with the added danger of some desease like Malaria or something that can progressively lower your health / stamina. I was thinking of Beach biome too, adding some sand near the water would look cool, especially if there are some run down concrete buildings that used to be hotels around there - I don't know if the random generator can already do that or if something like that exists. And I know Swamps are annoying to traverse but that can inspire our heroes to create hoverboat or if there is some king of Islands biome - create a rowboat or upgrade it to motorboat. Also - my squad are waiting for the addition of the chopper so we can do tactical missions (we roleplay like that sometimes) of clearing zombies ... can't wait for the zombies that remember how to shoot too!

Anyways, I went off track again. By the way the burnt forest biome should totally have an active Vulcano in it, obviously with orange color on the map.

Thinking in colors another easy to make biome is some Poppy field with the yellow and red flower as well as some berries but I think there are enough of those anyways.

Another thing that can be added is Waterfalls ... if there are proper mountains a river with some lilies( I hope they are easy to make, the water looks very blank in the game right now) ending in big Waterfall would be great. I just don't know if the water physics can work with that I've seen some bugs there.

Edit: I remember that a mod introduced an endgame radioactive zone that can be only traversed with hazmat suit equipped, that looked awesome and sounds not that hard to implement but for me the wasteland is good enough and the fact that the game stage is increased there is awesome bonus. Still, wouldn't say no to more content.

Well there was my ideas for some cool new zones to explore. The game is so beautiful as of A19 that I just couldn't help but want more vistas and enviroment to look at. I think most could be easy to implement, except the Jungle biome and some bushes which the game needs in my opinion. Just a small thing to add -the weather effects are great and big thanks for them, it's always awesome to explore during big fog or rainstorm (well not in the real world hehe).

That's all from me then. Thanks for reading :)

They keep eliminating biomes. I don't think they will be adding any.

Mind you, I would like to see a few involving marshlands, rivers, lakes, etc. However, I don't have realistic hopes that we will see such a thing.

Maybe in a DLC or sequel that takes place in a different geographic location?

It would be nice but as Gideon says, they've already removed at least one biome type (plains).  Also, with the game set in Arizona, jungle and marshland doesn't fit with that.  Of course, and IMO, the snow biome doesn't fit either, even if it can and does snow in Arizona in certain areas.  An entire biome of snow like it's winter time in Canada doesn't compute for me...but MadMole's reply is the standard 'blah, blah, gameplay...'

13 hours ago, JCrook1028 said:

We lost two biomes already. Not gonna be getting more imo. Shame really, variety and all but saves texture space.

What was the other biome they took out? I know the plains is one of them, which I kinda miss & would like to see back. 

The winter biome is too big (Navezgane map). I agree with the original poster, more biomes would be cool.

Maybe a fog zone of some sort where there's always fog, like in silent hill. Would make for some creepy encounters.

I’m not a huge fan of DLC. I guess it depends on the game and what the DLC does, but I think in this case it would work superbly. I think what they should do is remove the snow biome and let the game truly feel like Arizona... and then have DLC in the future representing other areas.

A snowy, mountainous region DLC, a swampy marshlands DLC, and even the jungle DLC. Each DLC could come with some unique zombies, POIs, flora, and fauna. Each DLC could have its own manually created map like Navezgane. When you own these DLC, you would then select which region of the world before generating/selecting a map.

I would buy them all too. 

14 hours ago, JCrook1028 said:

We lost two biomes already. Not gonna be getting more imo. Shame really, variety and all but saves texture space.

What other saving of texture space?  

take the noodles off your ears ;) one terrain texture takes up four times less volume than any useless model they are currently adding.

Oooh I will totally google for this plains biome now, I am very interested in what it looked like. I rememeber when I researched the map and talked to my friends they also mentioned something like that, it would be really cool to have it back. If it is still in the game as a texture somehow maybe a modder can bring that up, please?

Also - what this second biome was? I can't find any information about this one.

And lastly - for sure I would pay for biome DLC with unique zombies and so on ( like how lumberjacks are unique for snow biome ) but I don't know how this will affect playing with my friends if they don't own it ... :(

Hm ... I know there is radiation just outside of the map, right now.

Maybe if there are some zones using this effect inside the map too could be cool, forcing us to wear the hazmat suit as suggested in the main post.

Thanks for the info.

Just now, RipClaw said:

It could be the radiation zone. In the past the ground looked different in the radioactive area.

Ah, I bet you're right. It did used to have that ugly greenish color. 

Now you just start Taking damage and a lil text box comes up saying "you are taking radiation damage" or "you are in a radiation zone"....can't remember which. 

Eeh I think the Forest biome is good enough as is. Perhaps some Rain forest could look different enough for a new biome idea (should they want to make new biomes ofc)

It's really a shame that the Plains is not used and that Radiation (I remember that "ugly greenish" ) were dropped .

The old forest biome was much better than the current on in my opinion. It actually felt much more like a forest. The current forest biome should really just be considered to be a plains biome, there aren't nearly enough trees to call it a forest. Speaking of plains biomes, the old one was alright although nothing special. I wouldn't mind seeing it again because it provided greater variety though. But for whatever reason the devs have been very clear that the plains is not coming back under any circumstances so don't get your hopes up. In fact I'd be quite surprised if they added any new biomes at all.

I think part of the problem is that the maps are really already too small to support the amount of biomes it has, especially when randomly generated. Too many silly borders. So while I like the idea of adding something like a rain forest it would just add to the problem and make biomes smaller. And how do you put a city into the middle of a rain forest?

Archived