Finally going to PC

IrishRed

Hello 7 Days community! I am expecting my first decent PC next week. I have been playin on PS4 for years, and watching YouTubers play this really cool version haha. Obviously it's a pretty different game. 1. I'm wandering if I should mess around with Navezgane or just jump in to random gen? 2. If random gen, are there solid seeds for a newbie on PC? 3. Any guidance into this new adventure would be greatly appreciated. Happy hunting amd building!

3 hours ago, IrishRed said:

Hello 7 Days community! I am expecting my first decent PC next week. I have been playin on PS4 for years, and watching YouTubers play this really cool version haha. Obviously it's a pretty different game. 1. I'm wandering if I should mess around with Navezgane or just jump in to random gen? 2. If random gen, are there solid seeds for a newbie on PC? 3. Any guidance into this new adventure would be greatly appreciated. Happy hunting amd building!

Welcome to the fold!!!! EXCITING times ahead!  Navezgane is a good starting place for most.  It is a handcrafted map so all the new POIs have been manually placed in immersive locations (6k map).

I look forward to hearing about your experiences!  Enjoy!

If you know Navez already, then play a random gen instead. If not, Navez is fine.

That means, if you know where stuff is, where the cities are, where the traders are, where the biomes are, where what POIs are (nevermind they have been updated). Maybe you know it already from watching streams, or i don't know if you played 7d2d already on PS4...

Welcome Irish. I too am from the console crowd & am FINALLY able to play the much superior PC version. 

I was pretty familiar with Navezgane on PS4 but I'm telling you it's been updated so much from where console ended & to where it is now in A19. 

It'll feel familiar in spots but it's really been totally redone. 

Plus from what I read the random gen maps haven't been the greatest. Madmole said their goal for A20 is to hit random gen hard to get it where they want it. 

Whatever you do, welcome man. This game is so much better on pc.!!

I'm definitely familiar with the game overall. I know that some changes are gonna throw me a bit. I know spam crafting isnt a thing anymore (no more 1000s of stone axes haha). I'll have to get used to the points system. This also may seem blasphemous but I may stick with controller play. Never been strong on keyboard and mouse, but I'll give it a go for sure. 

Thank you everyone for the welcome. Please keep ideas/suggestions coming.

Welcome fellow console cognoscenti! We must slum it over here until TFP can finally re-release console version after the game goes gold. Hope springs eternal!

There are roughly 1,044 tips and hints that people could give you. Imma focus mostly on the food/water issue that you're going to have. You will be burning through stamina/food pretty quickly at low levels, so you'll need sustenance. Try walking more and running less to conserve energy. There are two ways to get food & drink:

1. Hunt/gather/farm/cook it yourself
  2. Buy it from vending machines (this will be new to you)

I tend to stick mostly with #1, using #2 only when necessary. I like spending the money at the trader on stuff, not food, and the stuff you can cook eventually is much better than what you can buy. But either way, the first day or two ought to go like this:

• Loot every bird's nest; feathers and eggs are prized loot early game
  • Kill deer when you see them if you can; rabbits too if you are some sort of Legolas - it takes more meat to make a meal than you're used to
  • Do NOT mess with boars for meat unless you are on a roof or have a real gun (not the blunderbus); boars will jack your @%$*#! up
  • Take the "buried supplies" quest from the trader as often as possible - you will get food, drink, and medicine from the supplies
  • Put one point into Master Chef so at least you can cook bacon & eggs and make Red Tea
  • Prioritize finding a cooking pot for your campfire - this unlocks the B&E and teas; cooking pots are often found in kitchens, but watch out for sleeper zombies in houses!
  • Chop up any tree stumps you see until you have 2 or 3 honey; honey cures infection
  • Very early game - day 1 - you might as well harvest any Snowberries you see while out wandering; a handful of them can be a lifesaver

Since you are new to all of the new mechanics, you might consider building your hut/base (or taking over a POI) near the trader, just so you spend less time traveling back and forth for trading and getting quests. There's a chance the trader will have a working workbench, forge, cement mixer, and/or chem station too. Free to use while the trader is open. If you're comfortable with things, head off into the wilderness or deeper into the city. There will be fewer wandering zombies than you're used to from console, so you can wander around without too much trouble. Remember that you can throw rocks to distract zombies and make them wander away from you if you're not ready for a fight. It is pretty easy to mod the game later to add back in more zombies if you want that console feel.

17 hours ago, IrishRed said:

I'm definitely familiar with the game overall. I know that some changes are gonna throw me a bit. I know spam crafting isnt a thing anymore (no more 1000s of stone axes haha). I'll have to get used to the points system. This also may seem blasphemous but I may stick with controller play. Never been strong on keyboard and mouse, but I'll give it a go for sure. 

I hear ya with the controller. I tried the mouse & keyboard for a min & hated it. There's a good YouTube video explaining how to sync the ps4 controller with steam. Works very well & feels just like the console version...just WAY better. 

I even got a VGA connector & have my laptop projected onto the big screen TV.....F'ing love it!!!

35 minutes ago, Outlaw_187 said:

I hear ya with the controller. I tried the mouse & keyboard for a min & hated it.

[...]

I even got a VGA connector & have my laptop projected onto the big screen TV.....F'ing love it!!!

Welcome to PC and having the option to choose wether you want to use mouse & keyboard or gamepad (or even both? Gamepad for steering, mouse for inventory management?). I tried gamepad for years with PS3 and i still hate it. Basically  with gamepad i can't play any shooter-like game.

Oh and i also don't know what people alway tell you couldn't connect a PC to a TV.

*SCNR*

1 minute ago, Liesel Weppen said:

..........Oh and i also don't know what people alway tell you couldn't connect a PC to a TV.

*SCNR*

I know right. Yeah it might not be "as crisp" than straight from the pc monitor but hell.....60 inches of zombie killing fun trumps that baby!!

2 minutes ago, Outlaw_187 said:

I know right. Yeah it might not be "as crisp" than straight from the pc monitor but hell.....60 inches of zombie killing fun trumps that baby!!

Indeed for shooter-like games i prefer playing on a monitor and sitting close to it. And of course with mouse. ;)

However, i use the flexibility of the PC platform and for e.g. racing games or jump&runs i play on TV... with gamepad. ;)

1 hour ago, Liesel Weppen said:

Oh and i also don't know what people alway tell you couldn't connect a PC to a TV.

Might be from when Plasmas held major market share in the new evolving 'Flat Screen' craze.

Plasmas are subject to image burn-in, and since pretty much all PC stuff has static icons/overlays/ui/etc, you'd wind up with those burned into the screen & showing themselves when you watched a show or even after you turned it off.

Now that, sadly, plasmas are mostly gone and been replaced by LCDs, which can't get burn-in, there's no low lvl tech issue to using a large LCD 'TV' as a PC monitor. While older LCD TVs didn't typically have high refresh rates (might be no more than 30Hz), lots of newer models can support high refresh rates.

Plasmas offer/ed much better 'dark' levels than early large screen LCDs. Though I'm not current on LCD tech, last I looked even the OLED tech hadn't caught up to plasmas, except maybe at the really high end. (also to be fair, plasmas are quite a bit harder to make and use more juice than LCDs)

A great example of the difference is the first Underworld on Blu-ray. The early scene of Kate Beckinsale jumping down. The coat shes wearing is very intricately embroidered, but the detail is invisible on most LCDs since it's too dark for them to display. To address the shortcoming later gens of LCDs use a trick where the electronics compress the darker spectrum upwards to show some of the details, but in doing so "blacks" become darkish greys. Similar to boosting the Gamma in a18; it 'blows out' the darker colors.

Anyway, sry to vid-geek out on you all. What can I say, cabin fever :)

4 minutes ago, FileMachete said:

Might be from when Plasmas held major market share in the new evolving 'Flat Screen' craze.

Plasmas are subject to image burn-in, and since pretty much all PC stuff has static icons/overlays/ui/etc, you'd wind up with those burned into the screen & showing themselves when you watched a show or even after you turned it off.

And console games don't have that? But they are ment to be played on TV.

And there have been screensavers on PC forever.

4 minutes ago, FileMachete said:

Now that, sadly, plasmas are mostly gone and been replaced by LCDs, which can't get burn-in, there's no low lvl tech issue to using a large LCD 'TV' as a PC monitor.

But the new OLEDs also can burn in.

Imho the thinking "a PC can't be connected to a TV (easily)" comes from how they are connected. Back then PCs often didn't have Composite or SCART or whatever output and/or TVs didn't have VGA input. You needed a graphicscard that has an separate TV-out or some extra converter hardware. Even when the connection became digital, TVs often didn't have digital input, or your graphics card had DVI-out and the TV had HDMI-in (which could still be used with a passive adapter).

That all changed since HDMI came up and both graphic cards and TVs used the same connectors (and the same "protocol"). And that like .... 15 years now?

3 minutes ago, Liesel Weppen said:

And console games don't have that? But they are ment to be played on TV.

And there have been screensavers on PC forever.

Yep, they did/do. Can't say for sure as I'm not a console guy, but I seem to remember articles discussing various ways to reduce burn-in. Like shifting the image a pixel to the left, then another, etc, then back to the right. And there were options added by plasma makers to do similar things for when people used the screens for consoles or pcs. Not sure where my Panasonic manual is but it has a section where it recommends how to avoid or manage burn-in.

Screensavers for PCs were also, at first, to address CRT burn-in issues. Can't recall the details of why plasmas were more susceptible to burn in than CRTs. As I recall it wasn't that screensavers couldn't help, it was the possibility of a PC users use being hours long static images, with all the 'bright' icons or even say a spreadsheet.

17 minutes ago, Liesel Weppen said:

But the new OLEDs also can burn in.

Interesting. Didn't know that.

18 minutes ago, Liesel Weppen said:

That all changed since HDMI came up and both graphic cards and TVs used the same connectors (and the same "protocol"). And that like .... 15 years now?

That's a good point. The connecting bits never really register as I've been in IT so long and dealt with so many connector types of various generations TVs seem pretty straight forward. But yeah, until HDMI came along (it's really been that long? damn... time flys by ) video hook ups could be messy indeed.

Now this may be a stupid question but is the VGA port the only way to hook a laptop up to a tv? Can it go HDMI to HDMI? Would that look better? 

I just remembered seeing an HDMI port on my laptop & just now thought "holy sh*t, can this be done?" I bought the VGA cable specifically for this but if HDMI works & would look/sound better....well....yeah!!

Well HDMI will transport audio as well as video, so one less cable vs VGA. As for quality I'm not sure. I don't believe there is a whole lot of visual difference between the two, that may depend on the resolution of the screen you're using. 

Yes you can use the HDMI port to go to the TV. It would give you the best video quality as you will avoid analog-to-digital conversion. HDMI > DVI > VGA, for the purposes of connecting to a modern TV.

OLEDs suffer mostly from image retention, not burn-in. They look similar, but image retention will fade over time (measured in minutes, not hours). With "normal" use - i.e. some gaming, some TV/movie watching, some time off - an OLED should not have any permanent burn-in issues.

On 7/2/2020 at 3:30 PM, IrishRed said:

Getting used to playing game's with a mouse and keyboard can be a little tricky at first. It took me about a week and a half before I felt fully comfortable with it! The only game's that gave me issues in terms of the controls on PC was the original Mafia and Project Zomboid (eventually I did get the hang of it though). 

Playing first person shooters with a mouse and keyboard however... oh my goodness. It's sublime! 😘👌

• 2 weeks later...

THANK YOU EVERYONE!! Got the computer a week ago. Even though this took a bit of a turn with talking about monitors and such, I appreciate the info given. This is a totally different game on PC. I went with navezgane to get a feel for things. I'm about 50hrs in now getting ready for BloodMoon day 14. Gonna finish that then going to another map and other game settings. I jacked up the loot and other things to see what possibilities there are. There is so much more that I havent discovered (pois, missions, equipment).  I am sticking with controller for now, still cant get my fingers to cooperate on keyboard haha. 

I'm now wondering what a good Seed would be? Are the PreGens good? I've also read about nitrogen? For RWG, is it easy to use? I plan on moding, but wont be for a while. I'm a complete noob to that kind of stuff. Also with A19 experimental out, should I make the jump or wait for stable?

Again, thank you all for the insight. And thank you for the welcome, great community!!!!!

20200709_131559.jpg

20200709_131547.jpg

That's a sexy looking rig my friend! I think A19 is running pretty smooth. I was gonna wait till stable cuz I'm still new to the PC game as well. 

However I've had zero problems and it once again feels like a whole new game. I'm glad I went for the experimental. 

As far as seeds, I'm not sure there. I'm still going through Navezgane myself. 

Good luck man!!

Come on, you can't take case pics with the side glass on. Then we can't all rag on you for not spending three hours working on the cable management. 😉 The build does look nice though, was it your first one? Also WTF, no specs???? You picked a good time to make the switch. I just upgraded back into a gaming rig last fall after probably a 10+ year break and it was an amazing jump. 

They have reworked the random gen to be a lot better then it was pre 19 so you don't really need nitrogen, and it probably doesn't work with A19 yet anyways. I really recommend using Navezgane your first long play though because it really is a nicely crafted map. Random gen is great if you just messing around with unstable and relearning the game. The POIs can be a lot closer and more varied in random gen too, which is great when you get board with Navezgane or playing with friends. 

Archived