Finally going to PC

IrishRed

2 minutes ago, Liesel Weppen said:

So you are playing with 3,5h/day?

😱

Haha, that's about right. I'm off work around 4, wife off a couple hours later. And she usually doesn't mind me play for a bit. With everything going on these days theres not much else to do. 

8 minutes ago, Nfg said:

Come on, you can't take case pics with the side glass on. Then we can't all rag on you for not spending three hours working on the cable management. 😉 The build does look nice though, was it your first one? Also WTF, no specs???? You picked a good time to make the switch. I just upgraded back into a gaming rig last fall after probably a 10+ year break and it was an amazing jump. 

They have reworked the random gen to be a lot better then it was pre 19 so you don't really need nitrogen, and it probably doesn't work with A19 yet anyways. I really recommend using Navezgane your first long play though because it really is a nicely crafted map. Random gen is great if you just messing around with unstable and relearning the game. The POIs can be a lot closer and more varied in random gen too, which is great when you get board with Navezgane or playing with friends. 

Haha about the glass. I'll get a fresh one and some specs for you when I get home today. Also this was a pre build. I know a little about hardware and nothing about software, so I opted out for this. I know its cheating per say lol. 

30 minutes ago, IrishRed said:

Haha about the glass. I'll get a fresh one and some specs for you when I get home today. Also this was a pre build. I know a little about hardware and nothing about software, so I opted out for this. I know its cheating per say lol. 

It's not cheating, it's just not as much fun. Also it takes zero skill to setup the hardware/software nowadays, it's not like the "good-old-days" when you had to spend hours making IRQ and DMA maps and hoping you didn't forget about something. 

1 hour ago, Nfg said:

Come on, you can't take case pics with the side glass on. Then we can't all rag on you for not spending three hours working on the cable management. 😉 The build does look nice though, was it your first one? Also WTF, no specs???? You picked a good time to make the switch. I just upgraded back into a gaming rig last fall after probably a 10+ year break and it was an amazing jump. 

They have reworked the random gen to be a lot better then it was pre 19 so you don't really need nitrogen, and it probably doesn't work with A19 yet anyways. I really recommend using Navezgane your first long play though because it really is a nicely crafted map. Random gen is great if you just messing around with unstable and relearning the game. The POIs can be a lot closer and more varied in random gen too, which is great when you get board with Navezgane or playing with friends. 

Just for info. Nitrogen had been updated to work with A19 within the first couple days 19 was out.

1 hour ago, Nfg said:

Just for info. Nitrogen had been updated to work with A19 within the first couple days 19 was out.

1 hour ago, Nfg said:

Oh look, a case with blocked off airflow.

tenor.gif

Good luck running this game without overheating is all I have to say.

This is rule number 1 when building a computer! Make sure to have good airflow.

12 minutes ago, Fox said:

Oh look, a case with blocked off airflow.

tenor.gif

Good luck running this game without overheating is all I have to say.

I learned this the hard way.  My first build had fancy lights and see through case.  My next build was a mid tower with sound dampening, good cabling and airflow and had lasted for over 6 years and counting.  😀

Also ditched SLI config and went with a single more power efficient single card which meets my needs as a casual gamer.

On 7/1/2020 at 7:45 PM, IrishRed said:

Hello 7 Days community! I am expecting my first decent PC next week. I have been playin on PS4 for years, and watching YouTubers play this really cool version haha. Obviously it's a pretty different game. 1. I'm wandering if I should mess around with Navezgane or just jump in to random gen? 2. If random gen, are there solid seeds for a newbie on PC? 3. Any guidance into this new adventure would be greatly appreciated. Happy hunting amd building!

I am doing the same here as I am a refugee from the XboxOne. Hands down the experience is far different and better due to the stage the console version is currently sitting at. I would suggest Navezgane to start to get use to the feel of the PC vs the Console. So far i have been having a blast down in the burn zone near the trader. :)

11 minutes ago, Fox said:

And it starts, lol. I don't judge until I know specs and see better pics. They are getting really good at hiding vent's in some cases, plus you might be surprised how little air flow you actually need if it's designed correctly. Especially if you're not buying top of the line parts. Keep in mind not everyone is willing to drop 2-3k on a top tier computer. 

6 hours ago, Nfg said:

And it starts, lol. I don't judge until I know specs and see better pics. They are getting really good at hiding vent's in some cases, plus you might be surprised how little air flow you actually need if it's designed correctly. Especially if you're not buying top of the line parts. Keep in mind not everyone is willing to drop 2-3k on a top tier computer. 

My Cooler Master Storm Sniper Black Edition case cost me $125 at the time. The OP's case probably cost over $200. Right now, ppl are completely blinded and obsessed with glass cases. It's the new fad, just like RGB still is. In 5 years from now, it might be something completely different. Theoretically, a good designed case could have great airflow with glass panels, but from what I've seen, none of these glass panel cases are anything I would consider buying for a gaming machine since gaming machines demand a lot of airflow, and there's other features I want in a case that you can't get in a good airflow glass case.

This case in particular, even if there's vents on the back side to flow to the front fans... that's still heavy flow restrictions, and odds are, it also has dust filtration which is yet another major flow restriction. There's also the fact that I only see 4 fans total: 3 pulling in and 1 exhaust. which means the total flow of air is expected to be a maximum of about 1 fan unless you remove the front glass panel, in which case it'd be equivalent to maybe 2 with positive pressure, given all the other flow restrictions in mind. The RGB fans are basically more decorative than for practical purposes.

On 7/1/2020 at 8:45 PM, IrishRed said:

Hello 7 Days community! I am expecting my first decent PC next week. I have been playin on PS4 for years, and watching YouTubers play this really cool version haha. Obviously it's a pretty different game. 1. I'm wandering if I should mess around with Navezgane or just jump in to random gen? 2. If random gen, are there solid seeds for a newbie on PC? 3. Any guidance into this new adventure would be greatly appreciated. Happy hunting amd building!

welcome! 

really anymap is good! and you will really like This version of 7DTD!, 

heres a few tips: 

• Do the first quest so you get 4 extra perk points
  • beware of Direwolfs!
  • and have fun!

and you probably got a better PC then me

6 DIY Laptop Kits and Projects to Build Your Own Notebook

1 hour ago, Fox said:

My Cooler Master Storm Sniper Black Edition case cost me $125 at the time. The OP's case probably cost over $200. Right now, ppl are completely blinded and obsessed with glass cases. It's the new fad, just like RGB still is. In 5 years from now, it might be something completely different. Theoretically, a good designed case could have great airflow with glass panels, but from what I've seen, none of these glass panel cases are anything I would consider buying for a gaming machine since gaming machines demand a lot of airflow, and there's other features I want in a case that you can't get in a good airflow glass case.

This case in particular, even if there's vents on the back side to flow to the front fans... that's still heavy flow restrictions, and odds are, it also has dust filtration which is yet another major flow restriction. There's also the fact that I only see 4 fans total: 3 pulling in and 1 exhaust. which means the total flow of air is expected to be equal to about 1 fan, given all the other flow restrictions in mind. The RGB fans are basically more decorative than for practical purposes.

You’re also assuming a 100W+ CPU with a 250W+ GPU. Not everyone builds a gaming computer like that, especially if it's a store bought rig. Plus those fans all look to be at least 120mm. You can move a lot of air with one of them. My last case for example only had two 120mm fans and could run circles around your cool master case air flow wise. The only reason I'm not using it now is the video card didn't fit. Also I could go to the local shop and buy almost that exact same case for about $80. Glass cases don't cost that much anymore. 

Also place you bets for what the specs are.

My guess is:

Micro ATX Board (B365ish something)

I5-9600k

16GB ram (single stick)

MSI GeForce RTX 2060

200-500GB NVME SSD.

1 hour ago, Nfg said:

You’re also assuming a 100W+ CPU with a 250W+ GPU. Not everyone builds a gaming computer like that, especially if it's a store bought rig. Plus those fans all look to be at least 120mm. You can move a lot of air with one of them. My last case for example only had two 120mm fans and could run circles around your cool master case air flow wise. The only reason I'm not using it now is the video card didn't fit. Also I could go to the local shop and buy almost that exact same case for about $80. Glass cases don't cost that much anymore. 

I just finished replacing a computer for a client where the pre-built dual core Intel CPU with integrated graphics only burnt out due to lack of airflow in the case. Airflow is important no matter what hardware goes in it. It doesn't matter what size fan is in the case, it's whether or not there's flow restrictions like a pane of glass in front of it or layers of mesh dust filtering, or 90 degree bends for air to work around, etc...

Also, you're kidding me right? You think your 2x 120mm fans case runs circles around my 3x 200mm + 2x 140mm fans case with minimal flow restriction? Are you high? Unless your fans are one of those loud server style / jet engine style fans, there's literally no competition here.

2 hours ago, Fox said:

I just finished replacing a computer for a client where the pre-built dual core Intel CPU with integrated graphics only burnt out due to lack of airflow in the case. Airflow is important no matter what hardware goes in it. It doesn't matter what size fan is in the case, it's whether or not there's flow restrictions like a pane of glass in front of it or layers of mesh dust filtering, or 90 degree bends for air to work around, etc...

Also, you're kidding me right? You think your 2x 120mm fans case runs circles around my 3x 200mm + 2x 140mm fans case with minimal flow restriction? Are you high? Unless your fans are one of those loud server style / jet engine style fans, there's literally no competition here.

I never said airflow wasn't important. I said the amount of fans wasn't. Believe it or not at some point more fans don't help. Unless you like a noisy box. 

Also I'd say the CPU was defective, I've seen computers run for years with out heat sinks attached. They were horribly slow but once I cleaned all the fine metal dust off and redid the heat sink it was as good as new again.

I'm done talking to you. You obviously live in fantasy land where heat dissipates magically on it's own and nothing I say will bring you back to reality. So why should I waste time correcting you anymore?

2 hours ago, Fox said:

I'm done talking to you. You obviously live in fantasy land where heat dissipates magically on it's own and nothing I say will bring you back to reality. So why should I waste time correcting you anymore?

I remember the days when I use to think like you. I don't miss them. But I do agree we should give the thread back. I also wish I lived in a magical fantasy land instead of having to travel all over the world working on muddy, greasy, rain soaked, metal dust filled equipment. That would be really nice.

And sorry IrishRed for derailing your thread.

Wait a minute, I just noticed something... that is a Walmart branded PC? You know... the worst rated pre-built PCs of all time? I hate it when I'm so right on so many levels... OP should have done some basic research before buying that hunk of junk. They use the most bottom dollar parts in their system no matter the cost in performance or reliability, so long as the advertising details look good and the outside of the product looks great (aka as long as it sells).

My advice to the OP... return it and get most of your money back asap. You'll probably lose some re-stocking fee, but trust me when I say it's worth it. Probably any other brand is better than Walmart brand PC. But my recommendation is to go with Digital Storm website, customize and pick out what you want for your budget, and they'll build it for you and ship it to you as though it was any other pre-built PC, but with better service and warranty.

I guess my, do not really remember the date of assembly, but around  8-10 years ago, old rig is better in terms of airflow))) Always open. 

It is a freaking: 

Phenom X4 9950 Black Edition 4 Cores, 2.6GHz, sAM2+

It previously was a 16Gb Dual Channel DDR2 of Corsair (4x4Gb) now it is 4Gbs one Kingston stick as all the ram died out))

(I'm not sure the memory  is original, it is some weird memory working only with AMD)))

Asus M4A79-Deluxe

Inno 3D GTX 560 1Gb

Thermaltake TR2 RX 750 W

case.png

18 hours ago, Vampirenostra said:

I guess my, do not really remember the date of assembly, but around  8-10 years ago, old rig is better in terms of airflow))) Always open. 

It is a freaking: 

Phenom X4 9950 Black Edition 4 Cores, 2.6GHz, sAM2+

It previously was a 16Gb Dual Channel DDR2 of Corsair (4x4Gb) now it is 4Gbs one Kingston stick as all the ram died out))

(I'm not sure the memory  is original, it is some weird memory working only with AMD)))

Asus M4A79-Deluxe

Inno 3D GTX 560 1Gb

Thermaltake TR2 RX 750 W

Actually, back then, that's pretty much all you needed. Single fan intake on the front with no dust filter, the only restriction being that metal grill which made no sense (I'd have cut that out for better flow) and a PSU exhaust fan at the top which never turned off back then (no eco mode). That video card was not likely to create a lot of heat either given the size. The thing is, at least that case HAS airflow. The Walmart one does not, at least not nearly enough for the hardware that's in it.

On 7/18/2020 at 7:24 AM, Fox said:

Actually, back then, that's pretty much all you needed. Single fan intake on the front with no dust filter, the only restriction being that metal grill which made no sense (I'd have cut that out for better flow) and a PSU exhaust fan at the top which never turned off back then (no eco mode). That video card was not likely to create a lot of heat either given the size. The thing is, at least that case HAS airflow. The Walmart one does not, at least not nearly enough for the hardware that's in it.

I simply never closed the box so it got vented from all the sides as much as possible, never was a "silence freak" ))) Had another one before that that was just a bone rig all covers and panels removed))) had to turn it on with a screwdriver)))

On 7/16/2020 at 7:23 PM, IrishRed said:

Haha, that's about right. I'm off work around 4, wife off a couple hours later. And she usually doesn't mind me play for a bit. With everything going on these days theres not much else to do.

I didn't mean you play 3,5h per day, i ment you play with the configuration of one ingame day is 3,5 real-life hours?

Default setting is 1h/day. With that setting and 50h playtime you should be on day 50, not just on day 14.

55 minutes ago, Liesel Weppen said:

I didn't mean you play 3,5h per day, i ment you play with the configuration of one ingame day is 3,5 real-life hours?

Default setting is 1h/day. With that setting and 50h playtime you should be on day 50, not just on day 14.

Oh ok, sorry, I was at about 47 ish I think and set at 120 min a day. 

Howdy IrishRed I have got a great seed "AnthonyWright   " (a good friend who used to play pro football(American football not footbol) if your wondering ) with lots of fun town and POI's load of new bunkers , hint there's a tan colored house with a wine cellar  and lots of wine barrels look for the hidden vault door . or you can dig to the secret entrance in front of the house by the road , the fore mentioned  POI is in most of the towns . the map Generated a lot of towns that are in pleasant biome's like the pine forest and maple forest.  
  my Preview map isn't working properly it only shows 1/10 of the map all zoomed in .so i can't provide a picture but .... i can give you my "kick me in the balls guarantee" , load up the map explore it and if you don't like it you can kick me in the balls . i also give this guarantee to the band Animals as leaders basically if you can't appreciate them your ears may be broken . Also what was your PSN tag?.  I was lnt0theMoat then AnimaIsAzleaders (both bands "Into" is and acquired taste "AAL" is for every one) . ?i geuss i could take picture pf mi rig and join the fun but the would mean id have to do something other that smoke this bowl and shred some Z's irish's rigs looks way better than mine i went plain jane just give me the game kiinda build io went through 2 power supplies had to solder one together to get the 8 Pin 12v to reach my mother board with out tight roping across both PCIE slots and 3 RAM , and then when i upgraded video cards the damn thing had no 8 pin for the video so i when out and got a GOLD standard thermatake or what ever 650w with modular cables never buying a non modular PSU again damn thing is a DREAM where were these things back in 94' did i not know where to look? . the last rig i built for my self was a 486DX 100Mhz with a whooping 32Mb of RAM (do you know how i got these scars? paying 210$ for 32Mb of RAM) yeah good ol CRT radiation mmm that was the good stuff . smoothest frames to date . any how i should refrain from commenting after getting real baked i tend to go off topic and forget how i even got here ......... well , later folks got to go raid some towns .

• 3 weeks later...
On 7/16/2020 at 11:15 AM, Nfg said:

Sorry it took me so long to get this. It is a very clean build. This definitely is not a top tier but i works for me pretty darn well. 

Specs are

Motherboard: Asus Prime B360M-A

Processor: Intel Core i5 9400f

Graphics Card: Nvidia GTX 1660s

WD green 240g SSD

WD blue 1T HDD

Ram XPG Adata 8g

The only thing I plan on changing/adding is more RAM

The settings i'm running the game on (even though not high) give me a solid 50-60fps

Also the CPU and GPU stay around 30-40c. So from what I can tell the air flow is halfway decent.

20200807_125133.jpg

20200807_125101.jpg

20200807_133523.jpg

Archived