Vultures need to be removed from horde night

Ghostlight

Vultures are currently ignorant and add nothing to the game but annoyance. Until, try not to laugh, TFP can come up with a way to make them an actual thing they should just go the way of the zip line.

They dont necessarily have to be super smart or powerful. The way they stalk the players, especially in the desert, adds depth and realism to then game. Vultures are scavengers by nature. Might be annoying to you but awesome to me. 😎👍

Do you have a better explanation? I'm not sure how those numbers work, but 0.3 is that a percentage? So 0.3%. This would mean in an average GS 300 horde of 400 zombies, I'd see 1.2 vultures in total. However the phenomenon remains....our current base is a tunnel with one end open. At the start of the horde, and with maxAlive set to 24 (2 player co-op = 48), we get what feels like 48 zombies at a time piling into the tunnel initially. By 4am, it's 2 or 3 new zombies at a time and a sky full of vultures.

I am not overstating, this happens every single horde night.

The probability value does not seem to be a percentage. It seems to be more of a weighting. The smaller the value the less likely it is that the corresponding entry will be selected.

I already had a sky full of vultures but that had hardly any effect on the horde. That most likely happens when you have many zombies at the same time. Currently I only play with 8 zombies at the same time and still I did not run out of zombies. At most I have 3 vultures alive but the remaining 5 zombies keep me busy enough.

Maybe you should just set up 2 shotgun turrets and point them upwards. They will take care of the vultures.

One shotgun turret aimed decently and vultures are mute anyway. If its early game and you cant do that yes you just need a few wood bars and they are mute. All they do is take away from the actual horde. They are nothing but annoying and need to be removed.

I use wood/iron bars for my horde base roof so they can see me and swoop down at me so the shotgun turret does it's thing. I use a regular shotgun early game and just shot through the bars as needed.

They dont necessarily have to be super smart or powerful. The way they stalk the players, especially in the desert, adds depth and realism to then game. Vultures are scavengers by nature. Might be annoying to you but awesome to me. 😎👍

I will gladly concede that there are people out there that like vultures. I only speak for me on this. That being said I stand firm on my side of the fence that vultures can go suck a D.

I do miss the old bees but I do think the vultures on bloodmoon should stay. They add an interesting addition as would adding back the bees. Agree that they could be refined a bit but a they make you pay attention to your surroundings and add that extra dimension. I like the fact when clearing a rooftop on poi’s you can be attack by a flock of them. Again, giving more dimension.

Having vultures on the roofs is sometimes a nuisance, especially when you go in and out (like in Shotgun Messiah factory) and you can't move stealthily enough. Had at least 2 situations, where i got suddenly hit when i couldn't see any Vs around me (and i did check) or i spent time stealthily clearing the rooftop (the last one) moving all over the place to suddenly get hit with a new V...

As much as i understand their role and how they should surprise the players, i think there are a few situations when they simply cheese the player.

Not to mention the POIs sometimes still feel like a circus clown car... With too many Zs in some spots...

If you want to "fix" vultures, I would suggest adding a buff on spawn to them in entityclasses,

condition of "IsBloodMoon" so that during blood moons they suicide after like 40s.

The buff could go poof before that time onprimary/secondary attack if they CAN attack the player.

That said, it's a known issue...

If you want to "fix" vultures, I would suggest adding a buff on spawn to them in entityclasses,

condition of "IsBloodMoon" so that during blood moons they suicide after like 40s.

The buff could go poof before that time onprimary/secondary attack if they CAN attack the player.

That said, it's a known issue...

Gazz you are telling people to mod your own game because "it's a known issue". I am just going to quote my momma here. "♥♥♥♥ or get off the pot".

Gazz you are telling people to mod your own game because "it's a known issue". I am just going to quote my momma here. "♥♥♥♥ or get off the pot".

The issue is mostly lack of awareness that they exist, we kill them and move on, I even make really great fun with them on roofs with melee build.

#adapt

Having vultures on the roofs is sometimes a nuisance, especially when you go in and out (like in Shotgun Messiah factory) and you can't move stealthily enough. Had at least 2 situations, where i got suddenly hit when i couldn't see any Vs around me (and i did check) or i spent time stealthily clearing the rooftop (the last one) moving all over the place to suddenly get hit with a new V...

As much as i understand their role and how they should surprise the players, i think there are a few situations when they simply cheese the player.

Not to mention the POIs sometimes still feel like a circus clown car... With too many Zs in some spots...

I do agree in some ways. I’ve fallen off more than one roof in the process of trying to escape a horde only to be swarmed by a flock of vultures... :bi_polo: Turn to back away while shooting and fall right off. Frustrating but funny at the same time.

I will gladly concede that there are people out there that like vultures. I only speak for me on this. That being said I stand firm on my side of the fence that vultures can go suck a D.

Oh I don't dislike vultures, but I do dislike the thinning out of the horde as the night goes on - and they seem to be the cause. Takes a lot of the fun out of horde night when you spend the first couple of hours lobbing explosives into a crowd of 40+ zombies and laughing at the rag-dolls, then the last couple of hours bored stupid sniping one or two zombies every 10 seconds. I can't be the only person seeing this effect. Right???

p.s. I've mounted 4 vertically aimed 9mm turrets on the base roof and will report in next horde night to see if that cured the problem.

I think vultures are dumb to the core

They have a whole 4 animations and gameplay wise, well......no

They’re an annoyance and no, not something I think would be happening in a zed apocalypse

Spawned at 5% of current A18 setting, maybe

Oh I don't dislike vultures, but I do dislike the thinning out of the horde as the night goes on - and they seem to be the cause. Takes a lot of the fun out of horde night when you spend the first couple of hours lobbing explosives into a crowd of 40+ zombies and laughing at the rag-dolls, then the last couple of hours bored stupid sniping one or two zombies every 10 seconds. I can't be the only person seeing this effect. Right???

p.s. I've mounted 4 vertically aimed 9mm turrets on the base roof and will report in next horde night to see if that cured the problem.

I have not used 9mm turrents, I always use shotgun to get rid of them on horde night but I would assume they would do the job just as well.

I have not used 9mm turrents, I always use shotgun to get rid of them on horde night but I would assume they would do the job just as well.

I chose 9mm because of the increased range. When my horde night ends and I exit the base, my huge flock of vultures is VERY high up. Way out of the reach of shotgun turrets, anyways.

I chose 9mm because of the increased range. When my horde night ends and I exit the base, my huge flock of vultures is VERY high up. Way out of the reach of shotgun turrets, anyways.

Mine used to get bad, so bad I was afraid to go outside in the morning sometimes to collect loot bags. Might be a base design thing. I have a row of bars just outside my "kill box" hidey hole (because you know, puke) and the vultures will swoop down in that direction trying to get to me and the shotgun makes short work of them usually. It is a decent design but the puking vultures are a pain, more so than the cops.

Hmm, one of JaWoodle's builds just popped into my head; his fists-only killing corridor, with row of hatches as the fighting area. For the vultures he used half blocks as a roof he could punch through, and the birds seemed to gather nicely right on top - as in, they tought they could get in, but couldn't. Add any turret to that and it should clear the scavengers quite easily.

Also, that makes me think about the other "poorly pathable" blocks, like, plates. If you make a roof of plates, will they see it as solid or open?

[quote=theFlu;1111965

Also, that makes me think about the other "poorly pathable" blocks, like, plates. If you make a roof of plates, will they see it as solid or open?

Plates don't work, I use them in my design. However, wood or iron bars will make them swoop and attack. Fair warning, when things start puking and blowing up, wood don't last long lol.

That's a bummer :) Bars, yeah, they may bring them close, but also allow just straight up spitting on you, so no real benefit for the bigger birds. Should prolly test some of the odder shapes, but for now my only active playthrough is not exactly compatible (no base)

That's a bummer :) Bars, yeah, they may bring them close, but also allow just straight up spitting on you, so no real benefit for the bigger birds. Should prolly test some of the odder shapes, but for now my only active playthrough is not exactly compatible (no base)

Hey I get that. I play nomadic on, well probably 75% of my games where I just keep what I can carry and survive (sometimes) where ever I find a place that can work. But, when I build a base... I BUILD a base lol.

(edit)P.S. Wedge Ramps are your friend when it comes to make the A.I. stupid. P.S.S. Devs don't read this lol

Archived