Alpha 19 Dev Diary

madmole

Well that’s terrible news, thought I was doing pretty good with my 10”

i thought you had just a Tip?

- - - Updated - - -

I don't care that much about the looks of the club.. But I think that it looks over-the-top.. A bit too much if you ask me.

Still looks better than the NPC's though!

yeah the humans soon should get a Update. i hope

That club looks more like a 'legendary' thing, then just a replacement for the iron club.

As for what I would make a iron club out of? 1.25" - 1.5" threaded iron pipe and fittings.

Don't like, nor hate, the design of of the new one though.

That club looks more like a 'legendary' thing, then just a replacement for the iron club.

As for what I would make a iron club out of? 1.25" - 1.5" threaded iron pipe and fittings.

Don't like, nor hate, the design of of the new one though.

if i were going to change one! Thing about the club is the Saw blade.

i would make have a Large heavy ball on it kinda like a Old trench club. the saw blade would be added with the spikes. but i still love the new club, looks barbaric and im a suker for makeshift stuff

and My imagination is running wild with ideas for the other weapons!

Wooden Club: A wooden stick ether made from wood or a chair leg, and has some cloth on it and it looks like a Shaved stick with no bark, and it has a nice blunt end made of wood

Bone Knife: Looks like a Primitive knife without the Bumpy bone part (idk what the name is) and its wrapped with cloth and rope and has a Sharp jagged end

hunting Knife: A modified Screwdriver with a Bladed bolted on to it like the Steel spear, and had a Serrated Blade.

Machete: A very sharp Blade almost like a Sword with a Sharp curved blade on the end and a serrated end, and a Grip with a Old Brass knuckles wielded on it for grip.

Didnt see an issue with the original model tbh.

Just the game itself feels their rushing things to get the game gold rather then giving the detail to things like they use to before talk of going gold was even thought of. And well went from not worried bout gold and giving detail to need to go gold asap seems things are rushed. And now all of a sudden time between alphas are short and things being rushed in half assed

The exact opposite is going on now. Before we were worried our success was fleeting so we rushed updates out weekly, jamming ♥♥♥♥ in with no concept art, very little discussions and ended up with a frankenstien of a game with little to no continuity in design or art. Now we're drawing concepts, working from curated design documents and then have tasks for every step all laid out in a roadmap with a strong desire for all art to match the look and feel we wanted all along, and designs are all connected so its fluid for the player.

Polish up whats there, make it run great and you have a solid game. Keep going and changing things you run the risk of another 16-17 transition phase where you burn your bridges with some players.

This is exactly what we're doing. If someone rage quits because we finally replaced the alpha 1 club, then they need their heads examined. Sorry but we need to make pbr art for everything. Yes it will look like a whole new game but we feel like 7 days will be in the top sellers for 10 years if we do this, versus just ship it and vanish in 2 years. So every bit of art is getting reworked, and while we're at it, its the same amount of work to make a design match as it is to just redo the old club that had ZERO thought put into it.

That said all the new wall textures and new weapons introduced are pbr, but the gamma lighting made them look not as nice as they could. So its not like we have to redo everything starting now, most of the game is already redone. Every weapon is already redone I just haven't shown them yet because they are in rigging and in game has some bugs right now. It looks stunning though, like shut up and take my money all over again stunning, all for free to existing users.

But as usual, art has NEVER held up the show. Its always just gravy. The code and having designs we're happy with are the bottlenecks.

Only "complaint" I have with the new iron club is it looks like it would hurt more/do more damage than the baseball bat (going by the sound the bat makes, it's made of wood). 😛

Course my modded out bat with spikes and burning shaft looks like something the demons of hell would wield, so there is that, lol

Really, though, I dig the new club. Doesn't look like something from the PS2 era, heh.

This is exactly what we're doing. If someone rage quits because we finally replaced the alpha 1 club, then they need their heads examined. Sorry but we need to make pbr art for everything. Yes it will look like a whole new game but we feel like 7 days will be in the top sellers for 10 years if we do this, versus just ship it and vanish in 2 years. So every bit of art is getting reworked, and while we're at it, its the same amount of work to make a design match as it is to just redo the old club that had ZERO thought put into it.

Well if it was from alpha 1. then NO ♥♥♥♥ it will change, it was just a placeholder, The Old Club model looks ok but now with the updated graphics , new looks of zombies , weapons and armor then yes it has to change. plus its part of the new theme for weapons being there Ramshackled.

Only "complaint" I have with the new iron club is it looks like it would hurt more/do more damage than the baseball bat (going by the sound the bat makes, it's made of wood).

Course my modded out bat with spikes and burning shaft looks like something the demons of hell would wield, so there is that, lol

Really, though, I dig the new club. Doesn't look like something from the PS2 era, heh.

not really, a baseball bat has a nice balanced wight to it. and their sturdy

the club looks a little bit more heavy and not as sturdy .

That said all the new wall textures and new weapons introduced are pbr, but the gamma lighting made them look not as nice as they could. So its not like we have to redo everything starting now, most of the game is already redone. Every weapon is already redone I just haven't shown them yet because they are in rigging and in game has some bugs right now. It looks stunning though, like shut up and take my money all over again stunning, all for free to existing users.

But as usual, art has NEVER held up the show. Its always just gravy. The code and having designs we're happy with are the bottlenecks.

People just need something to bitch about in inbetween Alpha's. Keep trucking along.

not really, a baseball bat has a nice balanced wight to it. and their sturdy

the club looks a little bit more heavy and not as sturdy .

As someone who's taken a few glancing blows from bats, I can confirm for sure they hurt 😛

My complaint is more out of jest. Clubs have their three distinct tiers, and long as the bat schematic is tied to the Batter Up book, it should remain the best club, IMO

I'm a big fan of the more professional, AAA approach to your production process, so please don't let negativity on the forums compromise that approach. Regarding what you're saying here about PBR and lighting, I may have missed parts of this thread but is this something we should be expecting for A19, or is this a longer term project that will either be ongoing or for a specific, later alpha?

As someone who's taken a few glancing blows from bats, I can confirm for sure they hurt 😛

My complaint is more out of jest. Clubs have their three distinct tiers, and long as the bat schematic is tied to the Batter Up book, it should remain the best club, IMO

Oof man

but i agree with you on the batter up book

Only "complaint" I have with the new iron club is it looks like it would hurt more/do more damage than the baseball bat (going by the sound the bat makes, it's made of wood). 😛

Actually, kinetic energy E = 0.5 * m * v²

so if you swing a well balanced club fast and a heavy club slowly, the faster club will likely do more damage.

If anything, based on it's looks the new iron club will not be a major upgrade over the new wooden club.

Actually, kinetic energy E = 0.5 * m * v²

so if you swing a well balanced club fast and a heavy club slowly, the faster club will likely do more damage.

If anything, based on it's looks the new iron club will not be a major upgrade over the new wooden club.

can you show the new wooden club??

pretty please :excitement:

The exact opposite is going on now. Before we were worried our success was fleeting so we rushed updates out weekly, jamming ♥♥♥♥ in with no concept art, very little discussions and ended up with a frankenstien of a game with little to no continuity in design or art. Now we're drawing concepts, working from curated design documents and then have tasks for every step all laid out in a roadmap with a strong desire for all art to match the look and feel we wanted all along, and designs are all connected so its fluid for the player.

Preach it! Finally the game will have an actual art style.

Archived