Bones were art thou?

Hollowprime

Up until day 7 I killed:

10 coyotes

1 bear

2 wolves(?)

Destroyed 10 bags with corpses

Destroyed 2~4 remains

That is about 100 bones and I still run out of repair kits. I still have over 100 leather and I can make new weapons but I can't repair my old weapons.

Methinks duct tapes are overpriced at 7 bones for each glue. Now that we require to use more glue than ever the bone to glue ration should be 1:1.

Or we could always get bones from butchering zombie corpses. Just sain'

Are you using a knife to gut stuff? How about killing vultures? Also, look for animal guts as you travel, those have lots of bones.

Maybe I've just been lucky in my game, but I've had no trouble keeping myself in repair kits. I do, however, prioritize collecting bones as I go, stopping off whenever I see a corpse or animal guts.

I'm on day 14 and I could build a POI out of bones. They're everywhere.

Every pile of roadkill on the roads. (Maybe this is the big one you're missing.)

Every steer skull in the desert.

Every animal.

Every zombie dog.

Every gore block in POIs.

Not to mention the glue you find looting. I mean, it's a limited resource, but it's not THAT limited.

Even knowing every source for Bones, I have to say there are nowhere near enough. If you do a day's mining, for example you will easily burn a dozen Repair Kits!! Since everything now need Repair Kits instead of base materials to repair, Repair Kits are in much higher demand than ever, and thus so are Bones. Biggest bottleneck problem in the game right now.

And please, if you are playing solo, before you say "Bones are everywhere", think of us who are having to churn out 40 Repair Kits per day for 4 players. And folk on public servers are in competition with everyone for those Bones. Must be a nightmare.

I don't know the number, but it's a lot. You're probably wasting a lot of meat and fat too if you're chopping bodies with axes. Pretty sure that's your problem.

Iirc the difference between harvesting was 30ish percent. If it's more than that then yes I've wasted a lot of materials. I'll check it again.

Even knowing every source for Bones, I have to say there are nowhere near enough. If you do a day's mining, for example you will easily burn a dozen Repair Kits!! Since everything now need Repair Kits instead of base materials to repair, Repair Kits are in much higher demand than ever, and thus so are Bones. Biggest bottleneck problem in the game right now.

And please, if you are playing solo, before you say "Bones are everywhere", think of us who are having to churn out 40 Repair Kits per day for 4 players. And folk on public servers are in competition with everyone for those Bones. Must be a nightmare.

Well, I can't speak to multiplayer problems, but the balancing is very nice right now for solo. Also, a dozen repair kits in one day seems really extreme to me. Are you using faulty tools? No mining perks? I guess I don't really need those answers, but the game just has so many variables at this point that it's really hard to compare experiences 1:1, especially when there are solo vs. multiplayer issue to consider.

the pas n gas crates they sometimes contain anywhere from 20 to as high as 35 repair kits from what I have seen. so I'd say hit up gas stations or those car dealer ships. I use the knife on every gore block I see and I stop at those farms with the boars if i see them while im out looting..also buy up duct tape and glue from the trader if they have.

Hitting a road corpse with iron axe: 3 nitrate , 1 rotten meat, 3 bones

Hitting a road corpse with a hunting knife (power attack,because normal gives less resources for some reason): 10 nitrate, 2 fat , 3 rotten meat, 10 bones.

I think it's the same for vultures.

The difference is 330% more bones. The difference is phenomenal. But 10 bones is still 1.3 glue. I think glue needs to be back to 1 bone requirement.

Hitting a road corpse with iron axe: 3 nitrate , 1 rotten meat, 3 bones

Hitting a road corpse with a hunting knife (power attack,because normal gives less resources for some reason): 10 nitrate, 2 fat , 3 rotten meat, 10 bones.

I think it's the same for vultures.

The difference is 330% more bones. The difference is phenomenal. But 10 bones is still 1.3 glue. I think glue needs to be back to 1 bone requirement.

I figured it was the knife thing...I saw a HUGE difference in output when I made the change. Play with knife harvesting for awhile and I bet you'll have more than enough bones. Let's give it some time before we call for changes.

an easy fix with minimal changes...change glue recipe on fires to 5 bones (yes that's only 2 less than before, but changes 10 from 1 roadkill from 1.3 glue to 2) instead of 30 glue in 210 bones, you'd get 42, that is a huge difference in the long run without lowering requirements to near zero (7 to 1 is a huge jump, and if they scaled it that way, it may be because they increased drops across the board)

I never use axes to harvest bodies/gore and I always have glue for any projects I have (yes, even in A18) {no perk points in gathering skills, im focusing on looting/spear/light armor skills right now}

Perhaps take a day to just gather every roadkill or maybe plan a desert trip for skulls, raid a cemetery or 2, or a funeral home. The resources are out there, and if you look enough, you are bound to find what you need eventually (it is a survival game after all, not everything is convenient)

I would like to point out later in the game you'll have higher tier tools/weapons, meaning they will have (mostly, but not always) higher durability. As i presume they will repair still with 1 repair kit, it's more valid to use them.

Even so, i agree that there aren't enough bones or i have not made a good bone run yet.

Maybe have some other people in your group spend some time finding bones instead of using repair kits.

Maybe your group needs to learn how to ration scarce commodities. It’s a new version of the game, everyone needs to learn how to adapt to it.

Not everything needs to be changed by the developers, sometimes we need to adapt.

Everyone is on the lookout for Bones. It very quickly became obvious to us that Bones were THE number one bottleneck in the game. So they are treasured above all other commodities.

And yes I know higher tier tools will reduce repair kit use (assuming it is still one kit for a full bar). Right now it is 12 Repair Kits for 1 day's mining with a tier 2 Pick.

I was unaware that farming Gore blocks with Hunting Knives gives a lot more so will be trying that soon.That wasnt the case in A17 right?

Everyone is on the lookout for Bones. It very quickly became obvious to us that Bones were THE number one bottleneck in the game. So they are treasured above all other commodities.

And yes I know higher tier tools will reduce repair kit use (assuming it is still one kit for a full bar). Right now it is 12 Repair Kits for 1 day's mining with a tier 2 Pick.

I was unaware that farming Gore blocks with Hunting Knives gives a lot more so will be trying that soon.That wasnt the case in A17 right?

It was actually, but it was super slow compared to A18 so people usually used a fireaxe instead. As for bones, Wasteland is king, vultures, snakes, zombie dogs all give bones when butchered and they are all over the wasteland.

Archived