Best Practices for downloading Alpha 18

Roland

To get Alpha 18-Experimental

On Monday TFP will open A18-Experimental as an open beta opt-in on Steam. Once the The Fun Pimp makes the announcement that it is open and the password protection has been removed, the latest_experimental option will appear and can be selected. Here is how you do it:

1) After the announcement, open up steam and right click on 7 Days to Die in your library

2) Select Properties from the menu

3) Select the Betas Tab

4) Click on the drop down menu that probably says NONE--Opt out of all Betas

5) Scroll down until you find latest_experimental

6) Click on it and then wait for A18 to download.

To make sure there are no conflicts

After A18-experimental is finished downloading but before you start it up you should do a couple of housekeeping tasks as follows:

1) Select 7 Days to Die in your library and click Play

2) Choose "Show Game Launcher" instead of starting the game.

3) When the game launcher window appears click on the tools tab

4) Select "Clean game data...."

5) Check ALL boxes and the click Clean.

Once that it complete verify all your files:

1) Right click on 7 Days to Die in your library

2) Choose Properties from the menu

3) Select the Local Files tab

4) Click on Verify Integrity of Files

You should now be good to go on beginning a new game of A18 without any old game files causing conflicts.

To Avoid A18 downloading

Some people might be in the middle of a long term game or not really be sure they want to leap to A18 until it has had more development. There is no rush as it will probably take at least 2-3 weeks for A18 to go stable. Just be sure to follow these steps before A18 leaves experimental if you don't want Steam to automatically update you to A18.

1)Open up steam and right click on 7 Days to Die in your library

3) Select Properties from the menu

4) Select the Betas Tab

5) Click on the drop down menu that probably says NONE--Opt out of all Betas

6) Scroll down until you find A17.4 (or any of the other versions)

7) Click on it and wait for download if any is required.

You could add: If you want your 17.4 as it is currently, you could make a copy of your 7days2Die folder and rename it to 7Days2Die-17.4, after that proceeding with the steps you described :smile-new:

But then you should not delete your savegames.

Well for testing and reporting bugs your method is best,cause any old file (even a savegame) could show errors.

Also remember to keep in mind that the Experimental Release Candidate is not a Stable build.

It's not intended for you to start a long playthrough on. You should anticipate the possibility of having to wipe your save in a couple of days.

In a17 we required wipes between most of the experimental builds, and also with each stable build. a17.1 saves were not compatible with a17.2. You can expect that it will be a similar experience for a18e, a18, a18.1e, a18.1, ect.

Only Opt-in to the build if you are OK with this, and are willing to properly report any bugs you run into. (Instructions are in both the bug reporting forum section, and in the a18 Bug Reporting thread that will be in the Announcements section when it releases.)

Also remember to keep in mind that the Experimental Release Candidate is not a Stable build.

It's not intended for you to start a long playthrough on. You should anticipate the possibility of having to wipe your save in a couple of days.

In a17 we required wipes between most of the experimental builds, and also with each stable build. a17.1 saves were not compatible with a17.2. You can expect that it will be a similar experience for a18e, a18, a18.1e, a18.1, ect.

Only Opt-in to the build if you are OK with this, and are willing to properly report any bugs you run into. (Instructions are in both the bug reporting forum section, and in the a18 Bug Reporting thread that will be in the Announcements section when it releases.)

I bet that post will have to be quoted a lot of times during the next few weeks :onthego:

Save games and maps are saved elsewhere. I don’t think that would capture those. The clean function scrubs all 7 days files from everywhere.

Alright, well I did it so I am all set for a18 exp when it drops. I'll prob delete my game folder too and just download a completly fresh install myself.

Ah Roland, fine sir, how do I get my linux dedicated servers updated to the build? Seems like I am having problems somehow. Is the app_update 294420 -beta latest_experimental-unstable command still valid?

just lave out the -unstable bit ;-) Mine is up and running

My Server won't run after update to a18 any ideas ? 17.4 runs fine before :-(

Tested Debian 9, 10, Ubuntu 19 same Error:

[s_API FAIL] SteamAPI_Init() failed; SteamAPI_IsSteamRunning() failed.

dlopen failed trying to load:

steamclient.so

with error:

steamclient.so: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

[s_API FAIL] SteamAPI_Init() failed; unable to locate a running instance of Steam, or a local steamclient.so.

2019-10-11T21:42:22 72.968 ERR [steamworks.NET] Could not initialize GameServer

steamclient.so

with error:

[s_API FAIL] SteamAPI_Init() failed; unable to locate a running instance of Steam, or a local steamclient.so.

-------

Same error here. Tried on two different servers.

steamclient.so

with error:

On my (working) dedicated server steamclient.so is directly in the downloaded 7D2D directory, i.e. in the same dir where serverconfig.xml is. File size of the library is 21967073 at the moment. If you execute "du -sh ." in that directory it should tell you a size of 12G for the whole game.

Archived