Zombie sounds are out of place when using headphones in all versions

longshot

It was always the case for me: the zombies sound as they're near my ear. Maybe the game sounds correctly with the speakers, but the headphones just don't work for the game.

The growling is way louder than anything else and goes weirdly through walls which makes houses very confusing.

I've played Natural Selection 2 where this space sound mechanic is a very important part of the gameplay. That game does it perfectly, there is a feeling of the distance there.

Are there any options to tweak or plans to fix the sound?

When I started playing in A15, I could tell exactly where the z's were. Now I am having the same trouble you describe. I hope they fix the sound. It would be nice if they fixed what outside z's can hear when I'm inside, too. It's weird that a zombie in the next room can't hear me banging on a safe, but all the outside z's start the conga line to my inside location.

You can try this as it has solved the problem for me. If you re using windows 10, follow these directions.

1. Right click the audio icon at the lower right hand side.

2. click open volume mixer.

3. click on the icon that represents the audio device you are using.

4. click enhancement tab.

5. check the box next to loudness equalization.

6. click apply, then close out that window. done.

I had 3 pics showing how to do this but i cannot figure out how to insert all 3.

hope this helps for the time being.

EDIT: figured it out here are some pics[ATTACH=CONFIG]28925[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]28926[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]28927[/ATTACH]

Thanks, it may help people for now. I'm using Linux, so the "loudness equalization" is probably the same as "Automatic Gain Control" here (it's actually the algorithms that are implemented in hardware or software and used everywhere in phones, microphones, radios, VoIP, etc). Too much hassle to configure it so it doesn't mess with other games.

Loudness equalization won't help with localization.

Automatic Gain Control is EXACTLY what it is.

Loudness equalization levels the audio output so that louder and quieter sounds are closer to an average level of loudness. That actually removes dynamics in the lowest to highest volume. I am not sure what you are trying to achieve, but that reduces the sensitivity of sounds for everything due to compression and keeping everything loud from source to source. That will make everything sound A LOT closer to you than it actually is.

I have no issue locating zeds. If you are using any spacial enhancements or "virtual surround sound" that is more than likely the issue. I use headphone and don't have a problem.

By default I would definitely turn that OFF not ON

Loudness equalization won't help with localization.

Automatic Gain Control is EXACTLY what it is.

Loudness equalization levels the audio output so that louder and quieter sounds are closer to an average level of loudness. That actually removes dynamics in the lowest to highest volume. I am not sure what you are trying to achieve, but that reduces the sensitivity of sounds for everything due to compression and keeping everything loud from source to source. That will make everything sound A LOT closer to you than it actually is.

I have no issue locating zeds. If you are using any spacial enhancements or "virtual surround sound" that is more than likely the issue. I use headphone and don't have a problem.

By default I would definitely turn that OFF not ON

Well it works for me lol so i have no clue what you are talking about. I understand what it does for whatever reason it helps.

• 2 months later...

If you guys are using a Headset with more than 2 "channels" (like a 5.1 or 7.1 headset) or/and a headset with a built in soundcard which emulates 5.1/7.1 sound, turn that of and use 2 channels (stereo).

If you've a "real" 4, 5.1 or 7.1 headset and soundcard you can also try that "solution".

I use headphones exclusivly for this game. Sound is an integral part of your survival. As it is an integral part of the Zeds tracking you down.

Ive tried to play with my current 5.1 surround setup and its just not the same. I can, with headphone, pinpoint distant Zeds to within (I'd say) 10 degrees of their location. With the 5.1 Logitechs its really hard to pinpoint location untill Im almost on top of them.

I use headphones exclusivly for this game. Sound is an integral part of your survival. As it is an integral part of the Zeds tracking you down.

Ive tried to play with my current 5.1 surround setup and its just not the same. I can, with headphone, pinpoint distant Zeds to within (I'd say) 10 degrees of their location. With the 5.1 Logitechs its really hard to pinpoint location untill Im almost on top of them.

I have to agree there. Most games are not properly setup for surround sound (ie mixed in surround sound natively vs. simulated) The issue with most surround sound is it uses artificial delay and phase manipulation to "approximate" what 5.1 would be from a stereo source.

What this does before it hits your speakers is adding LOADS of layered audio. It needs to create 3 more sources of artificial phase/delay to create the perception of 3D space. 2 channel headphones already work great at doing this.

What this does to you as a player is confuses your brain into perceiving ALL sounds in 3D space (5 sources of everything vs. 1 or 2 as intended) instead of being more localized like a stereo field would be.

Truth be told, I use Speaker Fill, Bass Management and Room Correction for my onboard sound software. (ancient VIA chipset)

I then port that thru FxSound to emulate ambience and fidelity, only slightly, as too much sounds horribly deep and hurts the old ear-drums.

FxSound has 3D surround, Dynamic Boost and some kindda deep Bass slider, but I usually leave those at the same settings for every music choice and/or game noise.

Fidelity and Ambience are my go-to settings for most games and I find it the best way to "feel like you are inside the noise".

There was an issue with zombie sounds, not sure wether it still is: If you kill a zombie "here" and it makes it dying sound, but flies away because you punched it so damn hard, the sound will stay "here", while it should actually fly away with the zombie. Or when it rolls down a hill, sound should roll down with it, but doesn't/didn't.

When it rolls down a hill, sound should roll down with it, but doesn't/didn't.

I know exactlly what you are saying. I 've heard/seen it happen (older alphas).

I will have to pay more attention next time I play and see if the problem still exists.

...maybe set up a few zombie kills that are near some cliffs.

Always been that way.

Absolutely terrible sound design. What suck is I'm a professional audio engineer....and I can't tell if the sounds are just f'd up by a total noob at the controls, or if their incompetence actually adds to the tension.

Of course I'm talking about A16 = Anyone who like anything after A16 is a fool, IMO

I'm using Logitech G533 on Ubuntu Linux. I'm sure that it is set to only use 2 channels.

The volume scale is too weird: zombie sounds range from loud to very loud. When I go near a house with a zombie I have their sounds like they are already chewing on my ear.

Maybe I've already brought it up in this thread, but the game like Natural Selection 2 does this sound mechanic very good. That game relies heavily on the sound to be able to detect where, how many, what kind of enemy player creatures are moving and what they're doing.

• 9 months later...

I'd try what others have already suggested, on my headset I can pinpoint where zombies are to the dime outside walls, above ceilings etc.; I can sometimes even guess how many floors up zombies are by sound (I also don't get the always loud thing, the volume scales with distance for me).

I just turned on "Windows Sonic for Headphones" in the Spatial Sound tab of my headphones settings, and that made a world of difference! It went from being completely unable to tell where a sound is coming from, not even left vs right, to being able to pinpoint it perfectly.

windows sonic.jpg

I have been playing from A14 or A15 on with this setup:

1. varying headsets from various manufacturers, all with jack plugs, so no x.1 virtual whistles and bells

2. an external USB soundcard with actual analog potentiometers that require actual manual rotational action

3. a low-level driver to go with that

Directional and distance awareness have never been an issue at all; I rely on sounds as much as I rely on sight for directional as well as for timing decisions in this game.

So, I cannot offer a solution to make a 5.1, 7.1, 19.1 headset work, though a "less is more" attitude towards activation of enhancements ought to help tons.

What I can reliably offer is: the game's audio output is beautifully helpful; what your specific setup makes of that is another story.

can hear you, 

Uncle

Edit: though my setup has not changed over the years, my "getting used to" certainly has - possibly supported by changes to in-game sound delivery.

So take this reliance on blind tracking with a grain of salt for Alphas prior to A18 or A17.

Archived