Hopes and Worries about the Telltale Closure and Future of Console Edition

Roland

In response to "TFP never promised a console update" (paraphrasing again)

Seems to me that they actually did promise or at the least heavily implied:

The Fun Pimps

"In the weeks following, we've been working in good faith with the remaining management at Telltale to regain control over the console versions and allow us to provide support and updates on those platforms. So far, these efforts have failed."

That is from the first post of the Telltale Update thread in the News section. Not sure how you guys are reading that statement differently. Sure we could break it down into semantics. Technically they didn't say that they ARE going to provide an update. Only that they want the ability back to provide one. That still implies some level of intention to continue support and updates. Otherwise why include any statement that references support and updates at all? Could've just said we want our console publishing rights back. Period. End of statement.

There are pages and pages of people happy to hear that TFP has (at a minimum) the desire to TRY to support and update the console version in the future. So either TFP misspoke at the time or they actualy do/did have the best intentions of updating the console versions.

I personally get the difference. That is why I don't ask "where is the update?" My questions still revolve around "who has the console publishing rights now?" After that is figured out, then I might ask the appropriate owner, "so do you intend to update the current console releases?" If they say yes, then after a reasonable amount of time, I will start asking, "where is the update?"

P.S. sorry for the lack of direct quotes and formatting. Using my phone for this post.

I agree with Skillz. All four examples would be better and for all the reasons I've already stated multiple times.

I also really hope that "uneducated console players" was just poor wording and what you meant to say was "the less informed console players". As in you are referencing the players who don't keep up with the latest news as frequently.

Actually was probably pointed out to ones like skillz that you agree with. His or her comment shows he or she doesn't even know what he or she is talking about because only a few things he said is accurate the rest of it is not and if one took a few moments to do a little reading would know that and wouldn't of said 85% of it.

Is the game buggy well yes it is.

Is the game unfinished no it isn't. TT sold a finished console version of what PC had at the time. No where was promised to anymore updates after that. Nowhere did it say console would be the same as PC version. But would do what they could to make it as close as they could if possible.

Did TFP announce the last update that hasn't happened. No they didn't TT did and well they are no longer around so yeah. TFP wasn't saying an update was coming they said after things went down the way it did they would do what they could for console. But with them no having the console rights to publish for console they can't do nothing at the time. Show me where they have said they have gave up. What because they don't have any new news yet for whatever reasons that could be because of legal stuff that they just simply can't talk about at the time. But guess that means they are not trying I guess.

TT got the money for console version as they had the rights to it and now some one else does. Yes I'm sure TFP got/get a % of the cut. What the % is one can only guess and really isn't anyones priviledge to know but it isn't like they get 100% of the profits from the console version.

Was TFP pretty clear from day one that they was (and still are must I add) in development on the PC version and they will continue to do so. Yes they did. Let's not forget just because TT stuff went down for the console version doesn't have anything to do with PC version. So why should they stop working on the PC version that still in development. If you think PC version doesn't have enough support to keep going till they finish it then you highly mistaken if you think PC version is where it is today because of the console version. They said they had no desire to do console or at least while they was in development stages. So if it wasn't for TT coming to them because they seen at the time with what they had to call the game finished without TT I. The first place console version wouldn't be a thing or at least right now. Does it mean they don't care no it doesn't and because the way things went down once they are able if they even can they will do console how ever they feel will be the best way. But that is if they can.

Just because you feel half the truth is better than none is just your personal opinion. What if they say something if they legally can but a curve ball happens and that changes then they still just like now get called liers. What if they only have half information then they going to get question on why they don't know this or that then when they don't/can't answer they get what they are getting now rude and disrespectful comments. I mean the list goes on the point is just because one person feels one way doesn't make it right or wrong just TFP feel a different way and as it been said over and over again when they have new news to give they will share.

Would it be nice to see TFP just come around the console section and just chat things up some sure it would be but once they do some will start with the million questions so can see why they don't at the same time. With that said though one or two of them do come around and make some kind of post from time to time.

Actually was probably pointed out to ones like skillz that you agree with. His or her comment shows he or she doesn't even know what he or she is talking about because only a few things he said is accurate the rest of it is not and if one took a few moments to do a little reading would know that and wouldn't of said 85% of it.

Is the game unfinished no it isn't. TT sold a finished console version of what PC had at the time. No where was promised to anymore updates after that. Nowhere did it say console would be the same as PC version. But would do what they could to make it as close as they could if possible.

Did TFP announce the last update that hasn't happened. No they didn't TT did and well they are no longer around so yeah. TFP wasn't saying an update was coming they said after things went down the way it did they would do what they could for console. But with them no having the console rights to publish for console they can't do nothing at the time. Show me where they have said they have gave up. What because they don't have any new news yet for whatever reasons that could be because of legal stuff that they just simply can't talk about at the time. But guess that means they are not trying I guess.

TT got the money for console version as they had the rights to it and now some one else does. Yes I'm sure TFP got/get a % of the cut. What the % is one can only guess and really isn't anyones priviledge to know but it isn't like they get 100% of the profits from the console version.

Was TFP pretty clear from day one that they was (and still are must I add) in development on the PC version and they will continue to do so. Yes they did. Let's not forget just because TT stuff went down for the console version doesn't have anything to do with PC version. So why should they stop working on the PC version that still in development. If you think PC version doesn't have enough support to keep going till they finish it then you highly mistaken if you think PC version is where it is today because of the console version. They said they had no desire to do console or at least while they was in development stages. So if it wasn't for TT coming to them because they seen at the time with what they had to call the game finished without TT I. The first place console version wouldn't be a thing or at least right now. Does it mean they don't care no it doesn't and because the way things went down once they are able if they even can they will do console how ever they feel will be the best way. But that is if they can.

Just because you feel half the truth is better than none is just your personal opinion. What if they say something if they legally can but a curve ball happens and that changes then they still just like now get called liers. What if they only have half information then they going to get question on why they don't know this or that then when they don't/can't answer they get what they are getting now rude and disrespectful comments. I mean the list goes on the point is just because one person feels one way doesn't make it right or wrong just TFP feel a different way and as it been said over and over again when they have new news to give they will share.

Would it be nice to see TFP just come around the console section and just chat things up some sure it would be but once they do some will start with the million questions so can see why they don't at the same time. With that said though one or two of them do come around and make some kind of post from time to time.

Not sure why I was quoted for most of your reply. I only agreed with Skillz that in all four examples proposed by Sylen that it is still better than complete silence. Perhaps I didn't clarify which part of his post I agreed with specifically enough. My bad.

I hope I've cleared that up. Regardless.

Yes a game is usually sold as is and TTG was the publisher. Understood. That doesn't mean that buggy bad releases don't get updates or even massive overhauls post release. No Man's Sky, Sea of Thieves, and currently Fallout 76 all have or are working on improving the games (not condoning or endorsing any of those games just simply using them as examples).

Do they have to? No they could take the money and run. But it is usually better PR to try to fix things. I would say that they are not legally obligated, but that wouldn't be entirely true either. Depending on the circumstances consumers can and have pursued legal action.

Anyway, none of that necessarily applies to TFP's situation. Except the fact that their name is attached to the product and well TTG left them holding the bag. It sucks for TFP, but I'm sure they care about their name so they do want to try their best to fix things. Whether they can or do or don't update the console. Lots of perfectly good reasons for however things play out, good or bad.

I've never made a comment one way or another on the PC version status.

Not sure why we are talking about half truths or what definition we are using for that term. The only statements from TFP that I said would be examples of good news updates to share with us (for example) are:

Sherwood Partners is handling the TTG asset liquidation. (Fact. Full truth.)

The auction will be on April XX date. (Fact. Full truth.)

The auction has been completed on XX date. (Fact. Full truth.)

The 7D2D console rights have been purchased by a buyer choosing to remain anonymous. (Fact. Full truth.)

So no, I personally am not asking for half truths nor would I be pleased to receive them. All I've said is the complete silence is less than desirable. Just a little communication, even just basic simple fact sharing statements, would have appeased most of the (more rational) console fans over the last 6 months.

Is the game unfinished no it isn't. TT sold a finished console version of what PC had at the time. No where was promised to anymore updates after that. Nowhere did it say console would be the same as PC version. But would do what they could to make it as close as they could if possible. - So your defense is well we bought an out of date game but its ok because they never said it would be up to date? When the console verison launched it was already behind the pc version and its only gotten worse you cant argue that. Also how is a game that crashes and deletes save files complete? For some people the console version isnt even playable

Did TFP announce the last update that hasn't happened. No they didn't TT did and well they are no longer around so yeah. TFP wasn't saying an update was coming they said after things went down the way it did they would do what they could for console. But with them no having the console rights to publish for console they can't do nothing at the time. Show me where they have said they have gave up. What because they don't have any new news yet for whatever reasons that could be because of legal stuff that they just simply can't talk about at the time. But guess that means they are not trying I guess. - Ignoring players for years and then dropping a very very vague we'll do what we can is not trying that's right. TFP was involved with the update as well so while TT declared the update TFP were involved in it

TT got the money for console version as they had the rights to it and now some one else does. Yes I'm sure TFP got/get a % of the cut. What the % is one can only guess and really isn't anyones priviledge to know but it isn't like they get 100% of the profits from the console version. - Never said TFP got 100% but they certainly shouldn't be getting any profit is they insist on having a hands off dont blame us attitude. If the game is dead then pull it off the shelves or repackage it declaring it to be years out of date, buggy and has no support

Was TFP pretty clear from day one that they was (and still are must I add) in development on the PC version and they will continue to do so. Yes they did. Let's not forget just because TT stuff went down for the console version doesn't have anything to do with PC version. So why should they stop working on the PC version that still in development. If you think PC version doesn't have enough support to keep going till they finish it then you highly mistaken if you think PC version is where it is today because of the console version. They said they had no desire to do console or at least while they was in development stages. So if it wasn't for TT coming to them because they seen at the time with what they had to call the game finished without TT I. The first place console version wouldn't be a thing or at least right now. Does it mean they don't care no it doesn't and because the way things went down once they are able if they even can they will do console how ever they feel will be the best way. But that is if they can. - it is obvious to everyone TFP has put all their focus into the pc that is the issue actually. If they never had intention to bring this to console or not at least till it was finished then they probably shouldnt have sold the rights. Of course by selling the rights though they got money to develop the pc version and console copy sales would again add to that. So for TFP it makes total sense they sold it and took whatever they could get to develop the pc version at the expense of console players

Just because you feel half the truth is better than none is just your personal opinion. What if they say something if they legally can but a curve ball happens and that changes then they still just like now get called liers. What if they only have half information then they going to get question on why they don't know this or that then when they don't/can't answer they get what they are getting now rude and disrespectful comments. I mean the list goes on the point is just because one person feels one way doesn't make it right or wrong just TFP feel a different way and as it been said over and over again when they have new news to give they will share. - Well if they said something and then a legal matter forced a change in action people would at least know what is happening. Again ignorance is not bliss

Would it be nice to see TFP just come around the console section and just chat things up some sure it would be but once they do some will start with the million questions so can see why they don't at the same time. With that said though one or two of them do come around and make some kind of post from time to time. -I don't know about you but i never seen TFP post in the consol version. I've seen dev diaries etc in the pc version but nothing for consol

So ya basically everything i said is correct assuming your not out to simply defend tfp

So they posted in May when they knew they had the rights AND the development capacity, since they are developing it, right? TFP wants to do exactly the same it seems.

It seems skillz_over_9000 did make that assumption just 2 posts after yours. You can start right away :cocksure:

(Sorry, that was too good to pass up. You don't need to answer that)

“Quick update from the Developers on the console release.“

Twitter post from November over a month after the post saying the console version was not going to be released. There is a link to a post from the dev team that does a good job of giving the console side an idea of what is going on, since the October post with the bad news of the game not being released. Caused by TTG.

“The devs are still committed to releasing Stranded Deep on console. Hopefully we have some good news soon and can get things moving again! Cheers”

This was the February post.

“GOOD NEWS! We have successfully retrieved the console publishing rights for Stranded Deep.”

This was the first post in May.

Seems to be lots of communication with the console side, through the whole process. Not just 0 to 100%.

My original point was really trying to reference the fact the source code is owned and that is the 1st and most important step if there is any chance of the update with the Unity engine upgrade, and the other really cool stuff that was in it, per posts I have read of happening. That really all depends on the important fact of did TFP get it.

Of course Stranded Deep hasn’t been released yet, and 7D2D would only be pushing out an update. So your comment on the development capacity is a nice touch, but we all know there is ZERO money to be made when doing an update and the potential for LOTS of money when a game is released or re-released. We also know that IG could likely be doing the work for the update, but that is going to cost money that is likley not going to be recouped.

When you are getting communication then both sides know where they stand. When you get no communication it generally ends like the TTG update did for 2018. So do you think TFP own the source code to consoles?? Would you not agree, that is the most important and 1st step for any chance at an update or re-release of 7D2D? We are now 7+ months from TFP post about the update. And 18+ months since TTG first give the idea of one more update.

I get there is a slim chance that TFP are working hard behind the scenes and could post tomorrow the exact same thing as Stranded Deep did on twitter. But yet, we still have had ZERO official communication. I get some mods might work at TFP, but a new post in news and announcements would have been nice. Free update - great, paid update - great, re-release 7D2D - great, Sorry console no update - great, silence - not great.

@skills, hey this isn’t TFP fault. They said they would do what they can, and they were PC from the start LONG before console. It was TTG who got us both into this mess. If TTG didn’t go out of business the update might have happened, but you cannot hold TFP accountable for what TTG said was going to happen.

Not sure why I was quoted for most of your reply. I only agreed with Skillz that in all four examples proposed by Sylen that it is still better than complete silence. Perhaps I didn't clarify which part of his post I agreed with specifically enough. My bad.

I hope I've cleared that up. Regardless.

Yes a game is usually sold as is and TTG was the publisher. Understood. That doesn't mean that buggy bad releases don't get updates or even massive overhauls post release. No Man's Sky, Sea of Thieves, and currently Fallout 76 all have or are working on improving the games (not condoning or endorsing any of those games just simply using them as examples).

Do they have to? No they could take the money and run. But it is usually better PR to try to fix things. I would say that they are not legally obligated, but that wouldn't be entirely true either. Depending on the circumstances consumers can and have pursued legal action.

Anyway, none of that necessarily applies to TFP's situation. Except the fact that their name is attached to the product and well TTG left them holding the bag. It sucks for TFP, but I'm sure they care about their name so they do want to try their best to fix things. Whether they can or do or don't update the console. Lots of perfectly good reasons for however things play out, good or bad.

I've never made a comment one way or another on the PC version status.

Not sure why we are talking about half truths or what definition we are using for that term. The only statements from TFP that I said would be examples of good news updates to share with us (for example) are:

Sherwood Partners is handling the TTG asset liquidation. (Fact. Full truth.)

The auction will be on April XX date. (Fact. Full truth.)

The auction has been completed on XX date. (Fact. Full truth.)

The 7D2D console rights have been purchased by a buyer choosing to remain anonymous. (Fact. Full truth.)

So no, I personally am not asking for half truths nor would I be pleased to receive them. All I've said is the complete silence is less than desirable. Just a little communication, even just basic simple fact sharing statements, would have appeased most of the (more rational) console fans over the last 6 months.

100% agree. All the fact and full truth statements - public knowledge. Simple posts from TFP like those would have made me feel warm and fuzzy.

So what I've been reading for the last few hours/days/weeks/months is that the game isn't getting an update for probably a little while. (Months to a year) It desperately needs one for the state it's in currently. You can't play multiplayer and you can't play single player for an extended period of time. I'm tired of seeing everyone here say, "we got what we paid for, every update after was just icing to the cake." I strongly disagree about that. If the "icing" makes the game hardly run and unplayable then we didn't get what we payed for. Everyone is wanting new content and new things to play around with. Well, I simply want a game that runs and won't blue screen (close the game) on me after 1 hour of play during a single player world. Or 30 minutes for a multiplayer world. It's a great game and I love playing it, but the amount of progress lost and the amount of time wasted is too much to have to deal with.

If we ever receive an update it won't be at least for a few months to a year. I know that. You know that. We all know that. So why can't we just accept that and not fight about something we literally cannot control because we none work for the company that got the rights and we don't know who got the rights.

So why can't we just accept that and not fight about something we literally cannot control because we none work for the company that got the rights and we don't know who got the rights.

Hello.

Just a personal thought on your sentence.

In video games, alas we customers control nothing. We bought a licence to use the software AS IS and nothing more.

Read any game EULA for proof.

That's why I call this "the dark side" of video games.

In response to "TFP never promised a console update" (paraphrasing again)

Seems to me that they actually did promise or at the least heavily implied:

The Fun Pimps

"In the weeks following, we've been working in good faith with the remaining management at Telltale to regain control over the console versions and allow us to provide support and updates on those platforms. So far, these efforts have failed."

That is from the first post of the Telltale Update thread in the News section. Not sure how you guys are reading that statement differently. Sure we could break it down into semantics. Technically they didn't say that they ARE going to provide an update. Only that they want the ability back to provide one. That still implies some level of intention to continue support and updates. Otherwise why include any statement that references support and updates at all? Could've just said we want our console publishing rights back. Period. End of statement.

Well, we have to talk about semantics because I think only semantics divide us.

The thing is what exactly was promised ("promise" as in "an assurance that something will happen no matter what, otherwise my ancestors will rotate in their graves and lightning should strike me") ? It was promised that they would check the possibility of an update and expend effort and try to make one if feasable. Did they promise to do the update itself? No.

The former is a promise to make a reasonable effort for an update. They would have broken this promise for example if they hadn't either bid in the auction or brokered a deal that a "friendly" publisher (or developer) bid in the auction. They would break this promise if they didn't (after getting the rights) talk with potential developers or publishers about a deal to make an update.

They would NOT break this promise though if after some reasonable effort gave up on making an update. And yes, since this is all happening in the dark, we have no good way of controlling IF they made a reasonable effort.

The latter would be a promise to unconditionally do the update which I really can't see that TFP has made that. Such a promise would mean that after a long time with nothing happening console players could say "But you promised...?!?" and could be rightly enraged. I suspect this is not what you meant by what you said above.

I personally get the difference. That is why I don't ask "where is the update?" My questions still revolve around "who has the console publishing rights now?" After that is figured out, then I might ask the appropriate owner, "so do you intend to update the current console releases?" If they say yes, then after a reasonable amount of time, I will start asking, "where is the update?"

Agreed.

“Quick update from the Developers on the console release.“

Twitter post from November over a month after the post saying the console version was not going to be released. There is a link to a post from the dev team that does a good job of giving the console side an idea of what is going on, since the October post with the bad news of the game not being released. Caused by TTG.

“The devs are still committed to releasing Stranded Deep on console. Hopefully we have some good news soon and can get things moving again! Cheers”

This was the February post.

“GOOD NEWS! We have successfully retrieved the console publishing rights for Stranded Deep.”

This was the first post in May.

Seems to be lots of communication with the console side, through the whole process. Not just 0 to 100%.

Nit-picking territory. Everyone else please ignore this if you don't want to get a headache :smile-new:

Yes, there is more communication. I'm just seeing that that "letter of intent" post in February corresponds nicely with the "letter of intent" of TFP in November (sorry I said October previously which is wrong).

After that SD developers didn't post anything about what they were doing, who they contacted, if they have a deal brokered that just needed to be signed, if they have secured the money to continue development... . Instead they posted when they finally could report success on all fronts.

Sure, most likely there was only one front (the publishing rights), not two like in TFP's case. But I don't see DS as a case where someone did better communication, just that circumstances made it impossible for DS to announce stage wins whereas TFP possibly could have announced one after the auction (IF....)

We don't really know what DS would have done if they needed two deals to work out. Maybe they even did and didn't tell you!

Nit-picking territory. Everyone else please ignore this if you don't want to get a headache :smile-new:

Yes, there is more communication. I'm just seeing that that "letter of intent" post in February corresponds nicely with the "letter of intent" of TFP in November (sorry I said October previously which is wrong).

After that SD developers didn't post anything about what they were doing, who they contacted, if they have a deal brokered that just needed to be signed, if they have secured the money to continue development... . Instead they posted when they finally could report success on all fronts.

Sure, most likely there was only one front (the publishing rights), not two like in TFP's case. But I don't see DS as a case where someone did better communication, just that circumstances made it impossible for DS to announce stage wins whereas TFP possibly could have announced one after the auction (IF....)

We don't really know what DS would have done if they needed two deals to work out. Maybe they even did and didn't tell you!

I disagree it is nit-picking territory. You agreed with Dernagon with the statement about questions regarding who owns the rights to the source code for console. I am stating the same thing. Did TFP aquire the rights back like other companies that were dealing with TTG as well?

My SD posts were to show that communication is very important and that when you get little to no communication you end up with situations like we are currently in right now. As Dernagon said there is lots of little facts that could have been shared with us along this long and difficult process. I have been saying for a while I don’t see how TFP can spend resources on a console update and not get any ROI on that investment of resources. So that is why I feel it is important to know if they were able to get the rights back from the TTG assignment.

As you can see from a couple of posts above there are some people who think the update is coming it just will be months or years away. There hasn’t been a single word said about the update from TFP. The main thing they last said was they were working on getting the rights to console back. I am 100% confident they know if they got the rights from the TTG assignment/auction which ended months ago. If they didn’t try to retain it via the auction, then I don’t see them trying to actively retain the rights from someone who just bought it from the TTG assignment. It doesnt make smart business sense.

I don’t see the update happening even though I would be willing to pay for it. I am just wanting to hear it from TFP, just like when TTG said the update was coming. I think we can all agree if TFP were not successful in retaining the console source code rights then the chances for the update are likely zero. If TFP did get the rights and intend to re-release 7D2D to get paid, that is fine too just let me know where I can pre-order it. Or if the intent is to finish the PC version before doing anything with console, then say that. Seems to me the easy way out is to just be quiet. As another poster said I don’t need to see their dirty underwear, I just need to know they are alive and where we stand right now.

For the record I am like some that have posted, and love the game. I understand TFP are not to blame for what happened with TTG. I do blame them for the total silence since November. As Dernagon said there are lots of little bits of info they could have released that might have helped us feel like things were progressing in a positive direction. As of right now with the lack of communications even from posts like 7D2D official T-shirt posts I hope you understand why I am skeptical of the direction we are currently headed and why I am slightly frustrated in the lack of communication.

So what I've been reading for the last few hours/days/weeks/months is that the game isn't getting an update for probably a little while. (Months to a year) It desperately needs one for the state it's in currently. You can't play multiplayer and you can't play single player for an extended period of time. I'm tired of seeing everyone here say, "we got what we paid for, every update after was just icing to the cake." I strongly disagree about that. If the "icing" makes the game hardly run and unplayable then we didn't get what we payed for. Everyone is wanting new content and new things to play around with. Well, I simply want a game that runs and won't blue screen (close the game) on me after 1 hour of play during a single player world. Or 30 minutes for a multiplayer world. It's a great game and I love playing it, but the amount of progress lost and the amount of time wasted is too much to have to deal with.

If we ever receive an update it won't be at least for a few months to a year. I know that. You know that. We all know that. So why can't we just accept that and not fight about something we literally cannot control because we none work for the company that got the rights and we don't know who got the rights.

I agree with most of your post in regards to the multi-player issues I run into when playing with my friends. Playing pvp with friends and being reset to lvl 1 on day 20+ is very fustrating. Lost progress is a killer in pvp.

That being said in the last few hours/days/weeks/months what did you read that makes you believe we are still getting an update months to a year down the road? Because your last statement said “If we ever receive an update it won’t be at least for a few months to a year”. I noticed you used the words “If we ever”, versus “probably a little while” like your first paragraph. I don’t feel I am fighting, just wanting to know the truth. I am leaning on the side we are not going to get one, but until TFP say something one way or the other we DONT know what is going to happen. Since TTG said the update was coming by the end of 2018 back in January of 2018, I have been reading these forums. So I am looking to either close the book on this chapter or hear from TFP that there is more to come. I understand whatever decision they choose, but it is getting frustrating to not hear a single thing.

I disagree it is nit-picking territory. You agreed with Dernagon with the statement about questions regarding who owns the rights to the source code for console. I am stating the same thing. Did TFP aquire the rights back like other companies that were dealing with TTG as well?

I would say it is nitpicking whether SD's case is similar to TFPs because you might give SD's developer a "browny point" for being somewhat more open, but that doesn't mean that TFP would have to follow the example. And if we broaden the perspective there are hundreds of games companies that are more secretive than TFP. For example Blizzard had a followup MMORPG to World of Warcraft in development for years and then canceled it and nobody knew about it. This is how games companies usually work.

My SD posts were to show that communication is very important and that when you get little to no communication you end up with situations like we are currently in right now. As Dernagon said there is lots of little facts that could have been shared with us along this long and difficult process. I have been saying for a while I don’t see how TFP can spend resources on a console update and not get any ROI on that investment of resources. So that is why I feel it is important to know if they were able to get the rights back from the TTG assignment.

The situation right now is that we have a handful disgruntled and a handful who demand at least some information in this forum. All in all a very ♥♥♥♥storm-free forum. Probably many went on to other games, others are lurking and simply waiting for news to come. I may not be happy how TFP handles it, but I can understand that TFP might fear that for example continued updates could have generated a hype that would be fatal in case it doesn't work out.

What I am saying is: Keeping silent is a valid strategy that might not make much difference in the end if they have good news. And even create less of an uproar in case of a bad end because people already don't expect much. Look at it from their point: They don't need an active console community right now (it might be even detrimental), they only need one in 1 or 2 years from now or never.

As you can see from a couple of posts above there are some people who think the update is coming it just will be months or years away. There hasn’t been a single word said about the update from TFP. The main thing they last said was they were working on getting the rights to console back. I am 100% confident they know if they got the rights from the TTG assignment/auction which ended months ago. If they didn’t try to retain it via the auction, then I don’t see them trying to actively retain the rights from someone who just bought it from the TTG assignment. It doesnt make smart business sense.

I don’t see the update happening even though I would be willing to pay for it. I am just wanting to hear it from TFP, just like when TTG said the update was coming. I think we can all agree if TFP were not successful in retaining the console source code rights then the chances for the update are likely zero. If TFP did get the rights and intend to re-release 7D2D to get paid, that is fine too just let me know where I can pre-order it. Or if the intent is to finish the PC version before doing anything with console, then say that. Seems to me the easy way out is to just be quiet. As another poster said I don’t need to see their dirty underwear, I just need to know they are alive and where we stand right now.

For the record I am like some that have posted, and love the game. I understand TFP are not to blame for what happened with TTG. I do blame them for the total silence since November. As Dernagon said there are lots of little bits of info they could have released that might have helped us feel like things were progressing in a positive direction. As of right now with the lack of communications even from posts like 7D2D official T-shirt posts I hope you understand why I am skeptical of the direction we are currently headed and why I am slightly frustrated in the lack of communication.

I get your frustration. It is also totally ok to judge TFP's silence, although you can only fully evaluate their actions when the whole information becomes available.

But I don't agree with two of your conclusions:

* If TFP didn't get the rights, chances are still above zero. If some "opportunist" got the rights from the auction, he has two things, a game on console that still generates revenue over a long time and source code he can't do anything with. If he looks to make money he might keep the revenue and try to sell the source code to TFP, but with as much profit as he can get. So he might wait for a few months, then make an unreasonable offer to TFP and wait for a counter offer, make a new offer... Such a case would not be hopeless because TFP is the only party the opportunist can sell the source code to. On the other hand the opportunist has no urgency, he can wait and hope for better offers.

* The most likely reason they did not offer the t-shirt to console owners (in January 2019!!!) is that they thought it would create a bad impression if they offered a t-shirt but no new version of the game. Imagine Ubisoft did announce they are thinking about not releasing the next Assassin Creed onc console and shortly after that offer a t-shirt to console owners of the game. Many would consider this a cash-grab or blackmail, i.e. buy the shirt or AC won't be available for you.

Am I wrong? Could anyone else comment whether they would have seen TFP advertising the t-shirt to console owners in January as a bad move? I would have, but my moral compass might be off here because I'm VERY critical to all merchandise bussiness, for example I consider in-game shops as a major reason to not buy a game.

PS: I put a sentence you wrote in bold letters. Could you explain why you don't think it makes sense to try to get the source code from another party that bought the whole package?

I agree with most of your post in regards to the multi-player issues I run into when playing with my friends. Playing pvp with friends and being reset to lvl 1 on day 20+ is very fustrating. Lost progress is a killer in pvp.

That being said in the last few hours/days/weeks/months what did you read that makes you believe we are still getting an update months to a year down the road? Because your last statement said “If we ever receive an update it won’t be at least for a few months to a year”. I noticed you used the words “If we ever”, versus “probably a little while” like your first paragraph. I don’t feel I am fighting, just wanting to know the truth. I am leaning on the side we are not going to get one, but until TFP say something one way or the other we DONT know what is going to happen. Since TTG said the update was coming by the end of 2018 back in January of 2018, I have been reading these forums. So I am looking to either close the book on this chapter or hear from TFP that there is more to come. I understand whatever decision they choose, but it is getting frustrating to not hear a single thing.

I'm just assuming. You know how it is with everything going on here. Everyone has some opinions about this topic. Whether it's that we get an update, or simply never do. That's why I said if we ever did because I hope and pray for an update to fix the problems I have stated here. It's a long shot I know, but I'm just hoping for a fix to something that should of been at least somewhat more stable than it is currently. I would love new content, but I don't need it and don't want to try and do something with a broken system. It's as everyone states "icing to an already finished cake."

"We don't need to expect new content because we already bought the game as it was. Everything after is filler to better the game." So on and so forth. Like you said, not trying to argue. Just stating my view of it currently.

Thoughts.... Years of gameplay for my 30 bucks or whatever it was ea fun game, one of my favorites tbh ambitious quirky.. Oh the graphics though haha.voxel. Whatever mechanics>pretty

Watching Joels YouTube shows drooling became too much, elec and gyros-- wicha fancy coffeez. 😆

Thanks for this game so much fun

I want updates of course

Who doesn't

I get your frustration. It is also totally ok to judge TFP's silence, although you can only fully evaluate their actions when the whole information becomes available.

But I don't agree with two of your conclusions:

* If TFP didn't get the rights, chances are still above zero. If some "opportunist" got the rights from the auction, he has two things, a game on console that still generates revenue over a long time and source code he can't do anything with. If he looks to make money he might keep the revenue and try to sell the source code to TFP, but with as much profit as he can get. So he might wait for a few months, then make an unreasonable offer to TFP and wait for a counter offer, make a new offer... Such a case would not be hopeless because TFP is the only party the opportunist can sell the source code to. On the other hand the opportunist has no urgency, he can wait and hope for better offers.

* The most likely reason they did not offer the t-shirt to console owners (in January 2019!!!) is that they thought it would create a bad impression if they offered a t-shirt but no new version of the game. Imagine Ubisoft did announce they are thinking about not releasing the next Assassin Creed onc console and shortly after that offer a t-shirt to console owners of the game. Many would consider this a cash-grab or blackmail, i.e. buy the shirt or AC won't be available for you.

Am I wrong? Could anyone else comment whether they would have seen TFP advertising the t-shirt to console owners in January as a bad move? I would have, but my moral compass might be off here because I'm VERY critical to all merchandise bussiness, for example I consider in-game shops as a major reason to not buy a game.

PS: I put a sentence you wrote in bold letters. Could you explain why you don't think it makes sense to try to get the source code from another party that bought the whole package?

I skipped most of your initial post, as I think we can agree to disagree on the nitpicking part. I do see your point of view, and I hope you see my point of view on that issue. Funny how we communicate quite well even though we disagree on some things.

In regards to my statment you bolded. The least expensive way for TFP to get the source code rights would have been to buy it from the Sherwood Partners auction of TTG assets. Because if someone else bought it, using your own words the would keep it for the long tail stream of revenue or “sell the source code to TFP, but with as much profit as he can get.” So to get the source code now will be more expensive then if they bought it themselves from the auction, if it is even available for sale. So in simple business terms why would TFP spend money/resources on the console version, to spend more resources on an update that would generate almost zero rate of return??

The reality of it would be the best financial decision for them would be to re-release the game, with the new unity engine and whatever content they can add to it and not kill the hardware. Of course that is assuming TFP want to be involved in the console arena. Which I believe they don’t and I cannot blame them for not doing this long before being approached by TTG. Maybe they kicked the idea around and said lets port it to console, and 6/mo later someone said we have issues that we didn’t forsee and it is never going to work as intended. But when TTG comes and is willing to absorb the risk TFP sign a deal that gets them cash for something they feel isn’t going to work or worth the risk. TFP are a for-profit business, and TTG is a sign of what happens when your company spends more money then it brings back in revenue.

As for why TFP didn’t offer the T-shirt or the contest for a free steam key in console. Once again I know console isn’t steam, but for $29.99 they could have given away a free console version. I think TFP are in an awkward spot and either they never wanted to be involved in the console version, or because TTG made a ton more money then anticipated when 7D2D first launched. If 7D2D can play like TFP want it to on console, and if that type of hardware is an arena they want to be involved in, then I believe they will do something. Unfortunately TTG got the lions share of “new” player revenue when the game was released. For-Profit business normally don’t buy assets to put more money/resources into said asset and not make additional revenue off of it. The most logical process left is TFP, let the rights go because it really isn’t worth the additional cost, contact IG for the port they were already working on (since they have past knowledge) and re-release the game and make the money that TTG did, but this time TFP are not left holding the empty bag and some game needing fixing. I PERSONALLY think TFP know 7D2D would be slightly unstable at best on this current console due to hardware, but TTG didn’t do them any favors by going out of business.

Once again, I don’t know if any of this is possible or what the future holds. Some simple statment of facts and some genuine communication isn’t asking to much is it?

In regards to my statment you bolded. The least expensive way for TFP to get the source code rights would have been to buy it from the Sherwood Partners auction of TTG assets. Because if someone else bought it, using your own words the would keep it for the long tail stream of revenue or “sell the source code to TFP, but with as much profit as he can get.” So to get the source code now will be more expensive then if they bought it themselves from the auction, if it is even available for sale. So in simple business terms why would TFP spend money/resources on the console version, to spend more resources on an update that would generate almost zero rate of return??

The least expensive way? In general I agree, but that also depends a little on the sort of auction. If there was only one bidding-round, TFP could have hoped to get the package cheaper and given a lower bid because half the package (the source code) would normally only have worth for them. They could also have undervalued the expected revenue of the current console version or someone else overvalued the expected revenue (which would mean that that person could still sell them the source code for less than they bid for it).

Also if someone else got everything, they may be interested in giving the source code to TFP even for a low price because their customers will get that update too, which will increase the revenue of the current console version as it is more attractive to potential buyers.

madmole is in the Dallas office this week saying he will be very busy, this just after saying he has done his bits for a18.

could he be in discussions over the console version...?

well, I can be hopeful cant I?

There are quite some game development studios in dallas...

You ignited some hope in me ;)

I’m really just hoping that the fun pimps are working hard to get the rights back. I bought this game back when it first came to console and have loved it since. The lack of updates always hurts but it is a great game nonetheless. I believe all of us are excited for the future of 7 Days to die, and are patiently waiting for new updates on the auction and other news.

The least expensive way? In general I agree, but that also depends a little on the sort of auction. If there was only one bidding-round, TFP could have hoped to get the package cheaper and given a lower bid because half the package (the source code) would normally only have worth for them. They could also have undervalued the expected revenue of the current console version or someone else overvalued the expected revenue (which would mean that that person could still sell them the source code for less than they bid for it).

Also if someone else got everything, they may be interested in giving the source code to TFP even for a low price because their customers will get that update too, which will increase the revenue of the current console version as it is more attractive to potential buyers.

Meganoth, You can add all the variables you want to the auction. The fact still remains at the end of the auction the person who bought the source code paid X. If TFP are still planning on trying to do the update they will need to pay the person who won the auction(source code) and whatever profit this person/company wants, as well as paying someone to do the update for the port to console to finish what TTG started. So if TFP didn’t buy the source code from the TTG auction they will be paying more then if they had bought the source code from the auction. Not sure how many potential buyers are left, versus the number of people getting the free update.

So I have answered your question here is mine to you.

What makes you think TFP want to spend money/resources to produce an update that for a game someone else started on console, that is now (potentially) owned by someone completely different??

If you do believe they will spend money/resources to aquire the source code, and then pay a company to do the actual work to finish the update. How do you think TFP will gain any extra revenue from all that work for an update?

I understand there are some who have not bought 7D2D for console, but I am willing to bet the amount that still have not bought it yet, is no where near the number of people that have already purchased it. To me this is about money because unfortunately almost everything revolves around it. The cost of the update is not worth the risk of revenue in this situation.

Of course when I finally hear from TFP one way or the other I will be happy. I am only hear because of their TellTale Games update post. Of course when you hear continuing aid to console vs support console your lawyer ears should perk up. I am pretty sure the original post said support all platforms, but it was edited and now says continuing aid to console players.

I hope I am wrong, and would gladly eat crow and apologize for things I am wrong about. Unfortunately since that TTG update post the only info I have found is from Sherwood Partners who handled the TTG assignment. Another poster did as I did and called and got the same info. So there are facts to be know, but I haven’t heard it from TFP directly.

I see a post or two after yours there are still people who think the auction isn’t ended.

Sometimes there’s only a very small part of an entire post that warrants a response because you can tell that the person has already made up their mind and nothing will change it.

Case in point.

Well, totally disregarding valid and justified criticism just verifies the accusations of biased moderation, fanboy attitude and general hostility towards console customers. Life must be easy, but lonely, when you are totally incapable of taking any responsibility about your actions. I genuinely feel sorry for you, SylenThunder, crazywildfire and like. You seem to think, delusionally, I have to add, that by just ignoring 100% valid criticism, the issues don't exist. Do you behave this irresponsible IRL too?

By what grounds you think that, us paying console customers, are not entitled to a working product, same as PC customers? No, I am not whining about all the missing features that PC has. I do understand the limitations of console hardware and possibly the developers, the number one issue here is that the game is still broken in many levels. It's also very immoral to still keep selling the game for consoles, at it's current state. There is absolutely no mention in the games description pages or in the non-existent console home page about the current uncertainty for console version.

In the civilized part of the world, this kind of deliberate deception can be grounds for legal actions. I know that TFP is based in the less civilized part of the world, when it comes to consumer rights (and bunch of other things too, but we don't need to go there in this conversation now do we?), but still it's quite self-centric and does not give an impression of intelligence to only view and consider these issues trough eyes of average MAGA-Joe. This may come as shock to some of you, but most of the people in the world don't live in the "land of the free" and here in the more civilized parts of the world we have these things called consumer rights and morality.

I know I may sometimes come out as arrogant and hard to understand to some of you. I know that some words I use are kind of long and c-o-m-p-l-i-c-a-t-e-d, even tough English is not my native language, but even this does not dismiss the facts. This forum is clearly PC-centric and openly hostile towards console customers. The console version of the game is a mess and TFP at least shares the resposibility, because they still keep profiting from it. The moderation here is highly questionable, to put it as politely as I can, because they allow off topic, childish and unfounded personal attack posts like these,

We are talking about someone that has only made this one post and being the first post this is what they say. Most likely someone that has either been ban or made another account to write it

crazywildfire, seems your guess was right.

Well ya know. It must be the fanboy in me that spotted it . With that said only a few people here that has had a account before go on about the PCMR stuff so got an idea on who it is.

and participate in this childish bullying by suggesting to console customers that have issues with their game, to get the PC version and by ignoring fair and justified criticism. I don't know how you judge people, that stick their head in the sand, instead of tackling the issue in hand, but I don't judge them very highly personally and I don't believe any responsible grownup will either.

Lastly, my beloved Roland, you can't know for a fact, if you can change some ones mind, if you don't even try to and most of the things I have stated, and you have blatantly ignored, are facts, not opinions that someone could change their mind on.

To crazywildfire I sure would like to see some evidence for your accusations. Have fun with your paranoia and wasting your time. According to your post history, those two should not be too unfamiliar concepts for you.

To not to be all sourpuss, I would like to offer a solution. If(Because) TFP can't(be bothered to) get the console version going again, the least they could do is offer free PC version for those who have purchased the console version. Although this would not help others like me, who have purchased the console version, because their friends mainly have consoles, it would still go long way to mediate the situation. The loss in earnings would be negligible, as opposite to the beliefs of the forum moderators and fanboys a like, no one or at least very few console gamer's would buy the PC version anyway, after how they have been treated. This way they could at least argue they have not totally forgotten/ignored their whole console customer base. For some reason I think that instead of this, they are going to just whitewash the forums and keep totally ignoring their console customer base, like they have done so far.

So if TFP didn’t buy the source code from the TTG auction they will be paying more then if they had bought the source code from the auction.

Sorry, my long winding sentences are often hard to understand. So I'll try one more time even though this point isn't really worth talking endlessly about:

The value of the current console game depends on future sales. This value can only be guessed and will be different for any prospective buyer. It follows that even if a buyer values the source code similar or lower than TFP does, he could bid more for the whole package than TFP.

So I have answered your question here is mine to you.

What makes you think TFP want to spend money/resources to produce an update that for a game someone else started on console, that is now (potentially) owned by someone completely different??

I have already answered that question and listed a few reasons, in an answer to you no less!! No surprise you don't remember it, it was months ago. See the list further down in https://7daystodie.com/forums/showthread.php?93089-Telltale-Update&p=953380&viewfull=1#post953380 . Obviously point 2 won't be valid in this scenario, all the other reasons are still good.

Even a DLC is possible, probably only in cooperation with the new owner. But the new owner would be interested in a DLC as well (as he might get a small percentage of the revenue and it would increase the value of the base game)

Archived