Hopes and Worries about the Telltale Closure and Future of Console Edition

Roland

TFP ... had a hand in the decision to port it to console.

Hello.

Just as SONY published Demon Souls in Japan, and licenced it to Bandai and Atlus in NA and Europe.

Just as Blizzard published Diablo 3 in NA and Europe and licenced it to Square Enix for Japan.

This list goes on endlessly ...

In short, game developers who don't believe in strong sales for a specific region or platform are used to licence their game for publishing.

The publisher takes all financial risks,

In case of the publisher bankruptcy, as in 7DTD console, this can lead to unexpected side effects.

This just means TFP strongly believed (they were right or not, that's not the point here) 7DTD on console was to be a financial loss as they licensed it.

This just means TFP strongly believed (they were right or not, that's not the point here) 7DTD on console was to be a financial loss as they licensed it.

IMHO the fact that TFP is a very small developer without the resources or the knowledge of console development is the primary reason they didn't go for a console version, not the believe it wouldn't make money.

* Software development in a small team is so much better than in a big segmented team.

* Expanding a company in a short time is also not that easy and has major risks involved.

I even would guess this might have been an investment that Telltale made money off, but not much compared to the money sinks they had with their high profile adventures. It was probably small fish either way considering 7D2D never was mentioned in ANY news article about the bancruptcy.

IMHO the fact that TFP is a very small developer without the resources or the knowledge of console development is the primary reason they didn't go for a console version, not the believe it wouldn't make money.

* Software development in a small team is so much better than in a big segmented team.

* Expanding a company in a short time is also not that easy and has major risks involved.

I even would guess this might have been an investment that Telltale made money off, but not much compared to the money sinks they had with their high profile adventures. It was probably small fish either way considering 7D2D never was mentioned in ANY news article about the bancruptcy.

Again, I feel it should be noted that TFP didn't even initially come up with the idea of a console version. TellTale Games approached TFP with the desire to do a console port.

Again, I feel it should be noted that TFP didn't even initially come up with the idea of a console version. TellTale Games approached TFP with the desire to do a console port.

Has that not been said? Besides just in this thread. I'm pretty sure TFP said years ago that they had no intention on a console version or at least while the PC version was still in alpha. If it wasn't for TT console wouldn't even have a version of the game.

While this whole ordeal may tarnish there name and the console version may or may not go any further I have no way of knowing but I personally have much enjoyment from this game and glad I came to console or I never would’ve played it so hope console continues but if it doesn’t thank you fun pimps and hope works out well for you

So then why would TFP give out false hope of “regaining the rights” to finish the update “that is so close to being finished”?? IF TFP don’t want to have anything to do with console then they should come out and say it. This whole thread is only here because some of us are still under the impression that TFP actually plan on doing something about the current version of 7D2D for console. Which IMHO isn’t going to happen, but TFP left the window open so until they close it we just have to hang around.

Yes TTG approached TFP with the desire to do a console port. Unfortunately TFP are the ones that have keep us hanging around because they are not person enough to step up and tell us it isn’t going to happen. No TFP are going to hide behind the legal stuff. Which would have had to been resolved long before the auction of the source code. Which Sherwood Partners who handled the closing of TTG confirmed the console source code was sold.

You can google Sherwood Partners and get the phone number. Call and leave at least 5-6 messages and someone will call you back. You can ask them the same questions I did and find out the source code was sold and to an anonymous bidder. Of course if TFP are truly in a legal battle with a company that no longer exists then please post the .pdf of the legal document that would have been submitted to some court I assume in California.

So is it TFP want to be involved with console or not?? Since you keep bringing up the fact the console port wasn’t their idea, I don’t know why I would believe all of a sudden they want to fix what wasn’t their idea.

So then why would TFP give out false hope of “regaining the rights” to finish the update “that is so close to being finished”?? IF TFP don’t want to have anything to do with console then they should come out and say it. This whole thread is only here because some of us are still under the impression that TFP actually plan on doing something about the current version of 7D2D for console. Which IMHO isn’t going to happen, but TFP left the window open so until they close it we just have to hang around.

Yes TTG approached TFP with the desire to do a console port. Unfortunately TFP are the ones that have keep us hanging around because they are not person enough to step up and tell us it isn’t going to happen. No TFP are going to hide behind the legal stuff. Which would have had to been resolved long before the auction of the source code. Which Sherwood Partners who handled the closing of TTG confirmed the console source code was sold.

You can google Sherwood Partners and get the phone number. Call and leave at least 5-6 messages and someone will call you back. You can ask them the same questions I did and find out the source code was sold and to an anonymous bidder. Of course if TFP are truly in a legal battle with a company that no longer exists then please post the .pdf of the legal document that would have been submitted to some court I assume in California.

So is it TFP want to be involved with console or not?? Since you keep bringing up the fact the console port wasn’t their idea, I don’t know why I would believe all of a sudden they want to fix what wasn’t their idea.

That is your choice to believe it or not.

Nobody said they wasn't goin to do anything with the console version. It was just brought that they didn't intend to have a console version or at least while they was still in alpha stages on PC. Things happen and crap went down so things change that was unpredictable. They said they would do what they can for every platform. Can't recall them ever coming out and saying something and if it can't happen to not give a reason to why.

Just because the game was sold in the auction does not mean legal stuff is done. They said recently in a video that they can't go into the console stuff due to legal issues. Not sure exactly what you want them to do? They don't have anything new to talk about and legally can't talk about it. If you feel that it is BS and a lie then why even bother coming back here?

That is your choice to believe it or not.

Nobody said they wasn't goin to do anything with the console version. It was just brought that they didn't intend to have a console version or at least while they was still in alpha stages on PC. Things happen and crap went down so things change that was unpredictable. They said they would do what they can for every platform. Can't recall them ever coming out and saying something and if it can't happen to not give a reason to why.

Just because the game was sold in the auction does not mean legal stuff is done. They said recently in a video that they can't go into the console stuff due to legal issues. Not sure exactly what you want them to do? They don't have anything new to talk about and legally can't talk about it. If you feel that it is BS and a lie then why even bother coming back here?

Because I am waiting for the truth to come out. I watched the video, and heard them say nothing new and legal stuff. The reality is there is something new and TFP know if they are the anonymous winners or not. So if there is a legal battle going on, what county and state is the lawsuit filed in? If it is truly in a legal battle, there is a legal public knowledge document out there. The document for assignment of TTG was online, and the two lawsuits from former employees who were upset because in California you are supposed to give 60 days notice for closing. That is a legal battle, and proof can be found at the California courts online records.

I come here to hear one way or the other it is happening or its dead. When TFP say it I will understand. I am sorry, but the they never wanted to do the console port is opposite of the thought they will now continue the console port. IF the TellTale Update post said sorry guys the game is done and over we would have all moved on, but they gave the impression that maybe things might go a different way. I wouldnآ’t say their initial posts were BS or lies. TellTale Games didnآ’t even have the decency to tell us what was going to happen, but in mid 2018 acted like everything was moving along just fine. So I feel like we have been down this road before, I just keep hoping I am wrong. But everything seems to point in a other direction.

Ok, where is this “Legal issue” or “legal battle” taking place. Just tell me what court system something by TFP was filed in and I will go find it.

Why do you feel you have the right to know every single thing that is going on behind closed doors? Because you bought a game?

How is one supposed to answer that question if none know? Also who said it was even in the court system as of yet? It could be lawyers going back and forth with one another or any other thing. How do you know that whatever it might be is even public knowledge? Maybe this is another reason they can't talk about it. I mean really it could be several different things. Either way we are a buyer of agame not stock holders, partners or any other term you wanna use to get knowledge what goes on what is happening behind the scene. If you feel like you are entitled to know everything before it is time then I'm sorry and will just leave it at that.

Edit: it is as simple as this they recently said themselves they can't talk about it because of legal stuff/issues. Either be patient or buy the PC version. (That is not any way an insult either)...... so going on about wanting answers isn't going to get you anywhere if it isn't obvious. So only 3 options are left.

1. Be patient.

2. Buy the PC version.

3. Or one don't believe what they say or do and just leave.

3 pretty simple options if you ask me.

Ok, where is this “Legal issue” or “legal battle” taking place. Just tell me what court system something by TFP was filed in and I will go find it.

I would assume behind closed doors, with lawyers. Outside of the eyes of the public, you know, where the vast majority of legal issues are resolved.

Reality is most contractual disputes are resolved behind closed doors, without any legal filings until AFTER they are resolved. As someone else pointed out, ‘legal reasons’ does not mean lawsuit, it could just mean they are following the advise of their lawyers until things are 100% set.

It might be taking place in lawyers offices and include phone calls, discussions and research.

I would say negotiations between companies, in which laywers try to negotiate some agreement are also put under the topic "legal issues". Another case would be if uncertainties in legal documents might prompt a law firm to do legal research. Simply said, anything that involves laywers.

I'm not a lawyer, so I don't know if it is common to do (voluntary) arbitration without filing a law suit, but if yes, that would be another "issue" where no court is involved.

Some of you are making faulty leaps in logic. Just because TFP couldn’t, on their own, publish the game to console doesn’t mean they weren’t excited about the prospect or thought the game would be a failure. They very much want to have a successful presence in the console market.

Also, TFP is very aware of the tarnish to their name and the 7 Days to Die brand. No employees or owners are denying that the hurt is real. TFP’s name is on the product and most gamers aren’t going to understand the intricacies of who is responsible for what. They will simply decide not to support any company associated with the product. This is part of the damages inflicted upon TFP by the collapse of Telltale.

Why do you feel you have the right to know every single thing that is going on behind closed doors? Because you bought a game?

How is one supposed to answer that question if none know? Also who said it was even in the court system as of yet? It could be lawyers going back and forth with one another or any other thing. How do you know that whatever it might be is even public knowledge? Maybe this is another reason they can't talk about it. I mean really it could be several different things. Either way we are a buyer of agame not stock holders, partners or any other term you wanna use to get knowledge what goes on what is happening behind the scene. If you feel like you are entitled to know everything before it is time then I'm sorry and will just leave it at that.

Edit: it is as simple as this they recently said themselves they can't talk about it because of legal stuff/issues. Either be patient or buy the PC version. (That is not any way an insult either)...... so going on about wanting answers isn't going to get you anywhere if it isn't obvious. So only 3 options are left.

1. Be patient.

2. Buy the PC version.

3. Or one don't believe what they say or do and just leave.

3 pretty simple options if you ask me.

1) I am patient, just expressing my side of how I see things.

2) You obviously donآ’t read any of my other posts. I OWN PC AND PS4 versions. So please pay attention.

3) If TFP say it is going to happen or its not going to happen then I will consider leaving.

As for all the other posts on the legal behind closed doors ideas. Since TTG sold all of its assets, the only way to prevent that from happening would be to file an injunction. To stop or hold up said sale of said asset. Otherwise you will have to untangle anything that happened during the auction of TTG assets. Since creditors had to file in court by the 14th of April, TFP would have had to file something since once again TTG went out of business. Once the legal part of the assignment is over TTG doesnآ’t exist anymore. There are no lawyers from TTG and TFP working out some kind of a deal. I am pretty sure the contract that TFP cancelled once they got the news had all the legal stuff lined out for if said company goes out of business. So I get that some might disagree with me, but we shall see.

Some of you are making faulty leaps in logic. Just because TFP couldn’t, on their own, publish the game to console doesn’t mean they weren’t excited about the prospect or thought the game would be a failure. They very much want to have a successful presence in the console market.

Also, TFP is very aware of the tarnish to their name and the 7 Days to Die brand. No employees or owners are denying that the hurt is real. TFP’s name is on the product and most gamers aren’t going to understand the intricacies of who is responsible for what. They will simply decide not to support any company associated with the product. This is part of the damages inflicted upon TFP by the collapse of Telltale.

For the record I don’t blame TFP. I would buy their product if they did release it for console with the update. Once again assuming that is even possible. IF TTG doesn’t make a post about an update, but just go out of business. Then I don’t think this thread exists. Sorry I don’t think you can hold TFP responsible for what TTG was talking about doing.

The remaining issue being, IF TFP filed an injunction to stop the sale. IF they in fact just purchased the rights at auction (which may have been the cheaper option) there is still the transfer of publishing rights. That involves lawyers, and paperwork, lots and lots of paperwork, BEFORE anything available to the public is involved. Actual sale and transfer contracts need to be drawn up, which take time, and (again ) lawyers, in offices. All before things get publicly filed. This isn’t the kind of auction like when you bid on a canoe at a local fundraiser, these are intangible assets which have a hot mess of legal-ese and gibberish protecting them, and take a lot of time to transfer. And you bet your ass if TFP’s are smart, they’ll be extra careful after the cluster-F of the TTG debacle.

As for all the other posts on the legal behind closed doors ideas. Since TTG sold all of its assets, the only way to prevent that from happening would be to file an injunction. To stop or hold up said sale of said asset. Otherwise you will have to untangle anything that happened during the auction of TTG assets. Since creditors had to file in court by the 14th of April, TFP would have had to file something since once again TTG went out of business. Once the legal part of the assignment is over TTG doesnآ’t exist anymore. There are no lawyers from TTG and TFP working out some kind of a deal. I am pretty sure the contract that TFP cancelled once they got the news had all the legal stuff lined out for if said company goes out of business. So I get that some might disagree with me, but we shall see.

Who said the legal exchange would be between TFP and TTG or that TFP wants to stop the sale from the auction? It could be just difficult negotiations between TFP and the winner of the auction. It could be difficult negoations between TFP and IG or some other console developer. It could even be some third party involved we don't even have heard of. As farfetched as that sounds, in contract law anything is possible.

The remaining issue being, IF TFP filed an injunction to stop the sale. IF they in fact just purchased the rights at auction (which may have been the cheaper option) there is still the transfer of publishing rights. That involves lawyers, and paperwork, lots and lots of paperwork, BEFORE anything available to the public is involved. Actual sale and transfer contracts need to be drawn up, which take time, and (again ) lawyers, in offices. All before things get publicly filed. This isn’t the kind of auction like when you bid on a canoe at a local fundraiser, these are intangible assets which have a hot mess of legal-ese and gibberish protecting them, and take a lot of time to transfer. And you bet your ass if TFP’s are smart, they’ll be extra careful after the cluster-F of the TTG debacle.

https://www.shrwood.com/

This company specializes in closing down companies. According to their website, “An assignment for the benefit of the creditors (ABC) has become an increasingly well-known insolvency process.“ So, I agree this isn’t a canoe at a local fundraiser, but it certainly isn’t a lengthy process as you describe either like a full on bankruptcy.

I have been talking to the Stranded Deep people to see how they were able to aquire their rights back from TTG. If I hear back I will post something factual.

I am pretty sure these same lawyers had something in the contract between TFP and TTG that told both sides what happens when X happens. Their wording of ending the rights and not allowing updates or sequels makes me think there was very likely something written into the agreement should one company go out of business or even get sued.

I hope Meganoth is right, and there legal issues are based on someone wanting to move forward with the console version. But I still fall back on the if no money is being made, no one is going to do anything. With the current version.

Yes, Meganoth, I keep hoping they just re-release it after PC goes gold. With what ever can be added/updated and some fixing some bugs like ones that ruin pvp for my friends and myself.

What one company does or did doesn't mean the same thing happens with another company.

You assuming you know what they are working out and not working out. All of it is speculation. None of us know anything beyond that they are having legal issues. It might not even be about the bankruptcy. Anything that is not being said from TFP themselves is speculation even if another company did it this or that way. They are 1000s of 1000s of 1000s legal issues out there. TT could of done something they wasn't supposed to and now who ever has the rights is having to get it straightened out idk I mean it can be anything and I mean anything. So to say it shouldn't take this long and BM ot knowing what they are having issues with how do you know exactly?

I'd bet Roland's monthly paycheck that - even if the legal issues were resolved today - no actual development on the console version will commence until A18 becomes B18 and is on its way to gold. This...let's call it confidence in TFP's strategic planning and resource-allocation skills...is the basis for a long-term patiently waiting strategy on my part.

It would make a great Christmas present for 2020, one I'd even pay (again) for. But like the Lamborghini I keep asking for, my hopes for this particular gift aren't high. I got my money's worth 10x over, though, so I ain't even mad. If we get it, it's a bonus IMO. TFP doesn't owe me anything.

Keep up the good fight. And don't be jerks to one another.

I'd bet Roland's monthly paycheck that - even if the legal issues were resolved today - no actual development on the console version will commence until A18 becomes B18 and is on its way to gold. This...let's call it confidence in TFP's strategic planning and resource-allocation skills...is the basis for a long-term patiently waiting strategy on my part.

It would make a great Christmas present for 2020, one I'd even pay (again) for. But like the Lamborghini I keep asking for, my hopes for this particular gift aren't high. I got my money's worth 10x over, though, so I ain't even mad. If we get it, it's a bonus IMO. TFP doesn't owe me anything.

Keep up the good fight. And don't be jerks to one another.

At a minimum, you're looking at at least several months once the legal issue are solved. They'll still have to negotiate a contract with IG for continued development, and then there's the remaining development that needs to be completed for the patch they were working on.

I would imagine once that is set, then development on the console might pause for a bit until the main title is closer to completion. Or they may only work on optimizing existing code to prepare for the new systems.

At a minimum, you're looking at at least several months once the legal issue are solved. They'll still have to negotiate a contract with IG for continued development, and then there's the remaining development that needs to be completed for the patch they were working on.

I would imagine once that is set, then development on the console might pause for a bit until the main title is closer to completion. Or they may only work on optimizing existing code to prepare for the new systems.

Yet the console versions will remain on sale making money for the pc version the entire time. I really wish the game would be pulled at this point. If we are talking another year without support it's only fair that nobody benefits from selling a game with so many issues. Pull it and try a relaunch late 2020 and hope people still care enough to give TFP another shot

Yet the console versions will remain on sale making money for the pc version the entire time. I really wish the game would be pulled at this point. If we are talking another year without support it's only fair that nobody benefits from selling a game with so many issues. Pull it and try a relaunch late 2020 and hope people still care enough to give TFP another shot

I'm not even sure where that money is going atm. IMHO, they should put it on hold like they've done with most of the other TellTale games. Or at least put up big disclaimers in the store page.

Archived