Hopes and Worries about the Telltale Closure and Future of Console Edition

Roland

I am really hoping this game is able to survive on the console editions. We had already been waiting for a long time on certain "fixes" that make even casual play of the game very frustrating. The largest of which are the numerous crashes, often followed by entire chunk resets, often-times being in/near bases, or in/near outposts, since it tends to reset around players, and tends to crash on player interaction. Its sad to say that we have become adept at noticing potential crashes and "Save and Quit" before the crash actually applies (it sometimes still resets chunks, and requires a full client restart or it will crash immediately upon loading). Even the updates and new additions would be a decent loss but the error/crash updates are critically required at this point. The last time I played 7DTD on the Xbox, I crashed once every 15 minutes, like clockwork. Add that to the horrendous load times... gameplay was impossible. A long load time is only acceptable if the game never crashes. Its to the point where my maps have 4-5 different bases, with a variety of items spread between 3-4 different buildings in each base. I hate that, I love being organized, but instead I have to split everything up as equally as possible because when a crash hits, I might as well kiss it all goodbye (which could be potentially 4-5 days worth of full 8-hour a day gameplay completely lost).

That being said, I really do adore the game. Its fun, and pleasant, and I love exploring, building, levelling up, etc -- but as I said, it would be more fun to build larger structures, if 1/4 of my structure didnt reset at least once every 24 hours. Honestly, my best hope was that maybe microsoft or a better supplier would step in to pick up the game, but I can totally see them not wanting to because of any legal hassle or issues with publishing a new game with a similar name.

Still hoping the game survives and an update happens soon, at least just to the errors.

• 2 weeks later...

My gut tells me that what is more likely to happen is once the new publisher has all of the details ironed out, it will most likely be a new port on the next gen console.

Hopefully what happened with TTGs port will be a good lessons learned for all interested parties in the future. The best case scenario imo is wait for the game to go gold before attempting another port.

My gut tells me that what is more likely to happen is once the new publisher has all of the details ironed out, it will most likely be a new port on the next gen console.

Hopefully what happened with TTGs port will be a good lessons learned for all interested parties in the future. The best case scenario imo is wait for the game to go gold before attempting another port.

Yeah and no. I mean games get released all the time not finished and such. Look at DayZ last I played it a few weeks ago on console was a mess. On PC runs pretty good. It just really depends. In this case though console wasn't never meant to be on par with PC. From my understanding is that TT seen a game good enough to call if finished. They then said they would try to match PC as close as they can but no guarantee. The only problem with that is they just took an alpha part they said was finished and pretty much copy and paste it. They didn't take time to work out bugs and glitches. Guess they thought they could be like every other game that comes out and work on those as they went. But then they got cought up trying to add more from the PC that made more bugs. Idk it isn't about releasing games but how it is handled when they do.

My guess....,which is entirely speculation btw, is that someone else bought the rights to the game. I know people will say, why would someone else buy this? There isnt enough money left in the game but truth of the matter is the game uses alot of tech and coding that you just really havent seen in a lot of other games. I could see someone buying rights just for access to coding ect. Video game industry is competitive and it seems logical to me at this point. Ive tried to understand or reason away any other scenarios that make sense and i just find it hard to beleive if they won the rights back they would keep quiet about it for so long. Just doesnt make sense. I suppose anything is possible. But i just find it unlikely. Still a great game though, was well worth the purchase price.

...i just find it hard to beleive if they won the rights back they would keep quiet about it for so long. Just doesnt make sense...

Precedent : Electronic Arts bought a ton of x86 games licences just to throw them at garbage can 15-20 years later.

So they were less competitors to their own games.

One might ask them whether they also got the rights to console 7D2D, but chances are they won't say until they announce it on their own (in the coming weeks). They might also be in contact with TFP and not say anything until they have a deal or the negotiations are broken off.

IF they got the rights, it is slighty positive as they don't look like they are out to exploit the licences and instead are more likely to develop them. On the other hand 7D2D does not seem what they were after and may just be part of a package they got. It may be an asset they are not sure what to do with and they might sit on it until after they "developed" the main TTG stuff like the telltale adventures.

In essence, there is just one more bit of useless speculation.

The first sentence of that article says LCG purchased "ALL" the assets. That would include 7D2D if the text is correct.

"Telltale Games is being revived as a new company following the purchase of all its assets, including the back-catalog rights to licensed properties The Wolf Among Us and Batman, by LCG Entertainment."

The article also says they are going to focus on the storytelling type games, which 7D2D is not.

So 7D2D might be up for sale again.

The first sentence of that article says LCG purchased "ALL" the assets. That would include 7D2D if the text is correct.

"Telltale Games is being revived as a new company following the purchase of all its assets, including the back-catalog rights to licensed properties The Wolf Among Us and Batman, by LCG Entertainment."

The article also says they are going to focus on the storytelling type games, which 7D2D is not.

So 7D2D might be up for sale again.

Stranded Deep said they got their rights back from TTG. So they might have purchased all the assets that no one else wanted. So it is possible 7D2D was sold to someone else. But I agree it could be LCG. Will be emailing them tonight.

TFP own the IP for 7D2D. When they cancelled the rights to TTG they said no update/sequels. So if LCG did buy it and wanted to do something. They would need to get with TFP to do it.

I agree 7D2D isn’t a storytelling type game. Doubtful it would be fun if it was that type.

But interesting stuff.

From a post from ign again. "

- - - Updated - - -

From a post from ign again"This morning, it was reported by Polygon that Malibu-based game company, LCG Entertainment, purchased Telltale Games and its assets for an undisclosed amount. The new heads of Telltale Games are Jamie Ottilie and Brian Waddle, game industry veterans with no prior history at Telltale Games.

Speaking with Polygon, Ottilie said that the new Telltale will sell some of the company’s back catalogue and “work on new games based on a few Telltale-associated properties.” source: https://www.ign.com/articles/2019/08/28/telltale-games-shut-down-and-revival-explained?sf107948298=1

From a post from ign again. "

- - - Updated - - -

From a post from ign again"This morning, it was reported by Polygon that Malibu-based game company, LCG Entertainment, purchased Telltale Games and its assets for an undisclosed amount. The new heads of Telltale Games are Jamie Ottilie and Brian Waddle, game industry veterans with no prior history at Telltale Games.

Speaking with Polygon, Ottilie said that the new Telltale will sell some of the company’s back catalogue and “work on new games based on a few Telltale-associated properties.” source: https://www.ign.com/articles/2019/08/28/telltale-games-shut-down-and-revival-explained?sf107948298=1

Yeah, that's basically a copy-paste from the original Polygon news.

• 2 weeks later...
Yeah, that's basically a copy-paste from the original Polygon news.
well yeah they all just recycle one another's articles. Also just wanted to say you've been more understanding than most in this, at least you can understand the frustration we've felt over the last year and a half at this point.

well yeah they all just recycle one another's articles. Also just wanted to say you've been more understanding than most in this, at least you can understand the frustration we've felt over the last year and a half at this point.

Yeah. It affects me directly. I'm a console player too. I'm also keen on making sure that the right news is available when it is available, and that it is accurate.

I mean sure, I host servers on the PC, and most of my playtime is on the PC.

Sometimes you just want to crash on the couch and whack some zeds though. My most played games are The Crew, 7DTD, and PT.

Pretty sure all moderators use the "New Posts"-button to check up on the forum. So there is no unsupervised unchecked part of the forum.

No, I actually hate that feature. It doesn't show the section the posts are in when they have similar names.

I just browse manually through all the new posts. They are pretty easily identified with the forum navigation.

No, I actually hate that feature. It doesn't show the section the posts are in when they have similar names.

I just browse manually through all the new posts. They are pretty easily identified with the forum navigation.

Definitely, one of the reasons why PC players comment in the console section sometimes because they do that lol.

Archived