Hopes and Worries about the Telltale Closure and Future of Console Edition

Roland

Nobody has been punished or banned or silenced. The announcement thread has been closed to all but developers and there is a place here for people to continue as they were wondering when a new announcement would come and speculating on who bought the rights and what it all means. Closing the announcement thread is consistent with all the rest of the announcement threads in that subforum. Take a look. Every single thead is locked.

Yeah, this has some much credibility coming from a "true believer" and Mr. PC master race, who is rubbing salt to console players in every turn possible. It's not hard argument at all to make that by closing the stickied thread and opening this new one, you are deliberately trying to limit the attention this conversation will get. The fact that you are clearly going above and beyond defending TFP in every turn possible, does not help to convince otherwise either.

Based on the general life experience, it's more than probable that the console port is dead and TFP know it, but keep their customers in the dark for PR and profit reasons. The game is still for sale on PS store for whopping آ€35!! It is very likely that it still generates some random revenue, despite the current state of the game on consoles. Even tough Telltale owned the rights to the console version, I am really skeptical that TFP would have done so bad contract that they would not get any revenue from console sales.

Usually people are not so stupid that they believe everything that PR-Parrots keep spewing. They have enough life experience to understand that life is not as black and white as people who are affiliated with the capitalistic companies are trying to portray. The sad ones are the ones that spread these lies/intentional misleadings that they seem to believe them self.

Sorry, but the Game is 6 years old (on PC) and they Update it. Why they do it? Because the want to get new Customers. And thats whats also possible for Consoles.

That's mainly because it's still in Alpha development, and isn't finished yet. :)

Yeah, this has some much credibility coming from a "true believer" and Mr. PC master race, who is rubbing salt to console players in every turn possible.

Sorry man, but the PCMR comment is just plain stupid. You lose all credibility the second you toss that out there.

Of course PC's are better than consoles. This will pretty much always be the case because they are designed specifically to do a hell of a lot more.

You might as well toss a few other really stupid words like fanboi into your post.

No one is rubbing salt. We're just being realistic. I understand the console crowd has some issues with that sometimes, but that's just too bad. Yall need to get over it.

That's mainly because it's still in Alpha development, and isn't finished yet. :)

Mainly? 😂😂😂 I thought it was THE reason 🤔

Sorry man, but the PCMR comment is just plain stupid. You lose all credibility the second you toss that out there.

Of course PC's are better than consoles. This will pretty much always be the case because they are designed specifically to do a hell of a lot more.

You might as well toss a few other really stupid words like fanboi into your post.

No one is rubbing salt. We're just being realistic. I understand the console crowd has some issues with that sometimes, but that's just too bad. Yall need to get over it.

We are talking about someone that has only made this one post and being the first post this is what they say. Most likely someone that has either been ban or made another account to write it😂😂

I'm not a regular poster and despite lurking the forums for years I only recently joined in the discussion as I do have interest in the future of 7D2D console. I believe to date my posts have been fairly neutral and I've tried to be reasonable in my comments.

However, I'm going to step in and defend the vocally frustrated. They are not turds and trolls. These guys have spent months or possibly years posting their questions, hopes, predictions, theories, and yes frustration. I can empathize with their position. They are clearly mega fans of the game and only want to see it improve and be the best that it can be or at the very least become a more stable experience (particularly Xbox owners).

For the majority of the last six months they have generally defended TFP. It was not TFP's fault that TTG collapsed and put the future of 7D2D console was put in doubt. Most of us get that.

However, it is very reasonable at this point to critize the way that TFP has handled their cone of silence approach. Do I need to be told weekly, "sorry no news" no I don't. However, they could've been at the forefront of some of the developments. Why did the fan base have to chase down information on their own? Such as Sherwood Partners is handling the asset liquidation, or that the auction would be in April, or that the auction has been completed, or that 7D2D console publishing rights and IG code was purchased, or that the buyer chose to be anonymous, etc.

Those are details that TFP should've been the ones to release. There is no legal risk as it is public knowledge. They don't have to back up those statements of fact with any sort of promises or commitments. It's simply keeping the consumer aware of the situation. That is the type of "no news" that would at least convey to us the super fans, who are stilling playing the game, and taking time out of our day to care enough to continually visit these forums because we love what TFP has created.

We are not trolls and turds. Close the News thread? Fine I get the reason. Should've happen months ago. Although in all fairness it really wouldn't have spun out of control if there was more official news transparency. So that culpability is as equally shared between the TFP team's approach as it is with the vocal dissenters.

Lastly, Roland And Sylen are just about our only official conduit to TFP in this pocket of silence. I immensely appreciate their patience in dealing with a difficult sutuation. Having said that I would be remiss in not noting that some of the responses to the fanbase can come off as sarcastic at least lately. You guys do a great job but I caution keeping it above board and professional. We are just looking for news to a game we love.

Again calling people trolls and turds because they ask questions isn't appropriate. Some of you might be content to sit and around and wait for an announcement that may never come. You do you. For myself I'm going to be more vocal, tactfully vocal than some I hope, but I'm going to ask TFP for a bone every now and then. I bought their product so yes they actually do owe me that much if they want to retain a repeat customer. That is Marketing 101.

I work in Business Development and

I guarantee that if I ignored my customer emails and phone calls, I would lose that business very very quickly. I owe my customers the courtesy of addressing them when queried. No different than TFP owing me, a buying customer, the same level of respect.

That's all. My two cents. Thank you.

Any hopes and/or fears regarding the console edition is based on knowledge that is now nearly a year old. Either way, its speculation at best. At worst, with Twitter posts popping up and getting deleted from TFP saying both they regret the console version, and yet don't want to lose the console community, it's really hard to say what the future, if at all, holds for this game.

To close off the main thread from the few people that still posted on it siting the negative nature of the conversation as the reason, and then making a brand new post so that we can continue the conversation seems to me to be a flexing of unnecessary forum powers. Granted the announcement post should have been closed last year, when became clear that there would be no further updates until after the TT bankruptcy hearings of earlier this year. New announcements should be made in new threads, but what so I know?

The stark silence over a year after the last update we received speaks volumes. If the Fun Pimps cared at all for the console market, they would have at least shot out a brief update after the hearings even if it was just to say "We have not forgotten the consoles. We are still working toward getting updates rolling." Or, "Sadly, due to unavoidable legal ramifications, we will be unable to continue console support." Instead, we are in the dark. It makes it hard for me to justify giving the game disk space. I mean why should I give space to a game owned by a developer when it feels like they got what they wanted from me and now they're done?

I happen to know the differences of PC hardware and the current consoles, as I believe most of the people do, the thing you and other moderators here don't seem to understand is that telling people to get the PC version as an answer for problems with the console version, is just adding insult to the injury. We console customers have paid for our game just like you PC customers! I wonder how you would feel is the situation would be the other way around? If something, you PC users should be grateful to us for helping to finance the development of your beloved PC version, not treating us like dirt or an annoyance.

The fact that you decided to only answer a small part of my post and disregard most of it, just confirms what I was saying.

The fanboy crazywildfire's comment shows just how sad the atmosphere in here is towards us console customers .

As Dernagon put it very politely, TFP has not handled this well at all. I find it strange and wrong how gaming companies think they can treat their customers. If I would treat my customers even half as bad as they do, I would be out of job in a heart beat. Same time game companies treat their customers like trash and some sad individuals even spend their lives, going over and beyond, defending these immoral people for free. The mind boggles...

Edit: The total disregard for console customers is very clear. TFP has not even bothered to fix the broken console link on their main 7 days to die website. Yes I can now clearly see that the only issue here is the too high expectations of paying console customers. What a disgrace...

The fact that you decided to only answer a small part of my post and disregard most of it, just confirms what I was saying.

Sometimes there’s only a very small part of an entire post that warrants a response because you can tell that the person has already made up their mind and nothing will change it.

Case in point.

Sometimes there’s only a very small part of an entire post that warrants a response because you can tell that the person has already made up their mind and nothing will change it.

Case in point.

No Roland I don't see your point. Why don't you spell your case out for us pleb console gamer "fanboi"s who have to just "get over it" as Sylen so eloquently put it.

It doesn't matter if the lemon car I bought is a Maserati (aka PC) or a Ford Fiesta (aka consoles). Customer rights laws exist for a reason. Since you seem to implicate occasionally that you have inside knowledge on the inner circle of TFP, why don't you go ahead and give them a courtesy heads up that their behavior could be actionable. Should someone with the means and desire pursue that course.

Pretty sure the smug responses would evaporate quite rapidly and everyone liable would wish pretty quickly that they had handled this situation differently. TFP is a small developer and it would not take much effort to drastically alter their future.

As I said previously, I love 7D2D and TFP, but that doesn't mean our good will is infinite. Toss us a bone every now and then and more importantly show a little respect.

So they should always show respect no matter what or how the customer is being?

Sorry but I have very close friends that started a business in 1992 and still going strong grossing out over $850,000 a week. They will tell you very first thing customers are not always right and to stop being a whiny little *****. The establishment and atmosphere is not for everyone and they don't care. They will be rude in a heart beat if you are rude or demanding first.

The mods are not perfect by any means I disagree with a lot of things they say and sometimes do. But I hardly ever see one just come out being rude unless someone was being disrespectful. So I say show respect and you get it.

I have mostly been lurking checking in from time to time, and have not really been bothered with actually creating an account to respond to some of the "lovely things being said"

although I totally agree with both parties kinda going on about the same thing..

The only thing the console players want is "good" customer service for the product that they have purchased and basically want "seller" (insert who ever) to take responsibility for what ever they have sold to buyer... sadly "seller" is no more and thus not able to uphold this responsibility so customer is looking for alternatives basically who ever bought the rights kinda have to uphold this now.

Sorry but I have very close friends that started a business in 1992 and still going strong grossing out over $850,000 a week. They will tell you very first thing customers are not always right and to stop being a whiny little *****. The establishment and atmosphere is not for everyone and they don't care. They will be rude in a heart beat if you are rude or demanding first.

The above stated fact by wildfire is actually true atleast it is in the part of the world I come from.. sometimes customers are not right and its for the best to keep them in the dark for abit or have to adress them that what they want is not for their best intrest..

Conclusion to this entire ♥♥♥♥ty post with things that have mostly already been said..

things could have been handled in the aftermath alittle bit better to reduce the crisis some people feel that is going on right now.. If this would have been done it would reduce crisis management in the long run which could "potentially" harm the PC part of the game..

The best thing they can do at this point to kinda stop this ongoing discussion in my opinion is, reveal if they got the rights.

and if not who did, so console players can uphold that party to customer service and so forth.

keep calm things will work out eventually.

I have mostly been lurking checking in from time to time, and have not really been bothered with actually creating an account to respond to some of the "lovely things being said"

although I totally agree with both parties kinda going on about the same thing..

The only thing the console players want is "good" customer service for the product that they have purchased and basically want "seller" (insert who ever) to take responsibility for what ever they have sold to buyer... sadly "seller" is no more and thus not able to uphold this responsibility so customer is looking for alternatives basically who ever bought the rights kinda have to uphold this now.

The above stated fact by wildfire is actually true atleast it is in the part of the world I come from.. sometimes customers are not right and its for the best to keep them in the dark for abit or have to adress them that what they want is not for their best intrest..

Conclusion to this entire ♥♥♥♥ty post with things that have mostly already been said..

things could have been handled in the aftermath alittle bit better to reduce the crisis some people feel that is going on right now.. If this would have been done it would reduce crisis management in the long run which could "potentially" harm the PC part of the game..

The best thing they can do at this point to kinda stop this ongoing discussion in my opinion is, reveal if they got the rights.

and if not who did, so console players can uphold that party to customer service and so forth.

keep calm things will work out eventually.

Agree. Not saying at all that some of this couldn't of or be handled in a better way. At the same time though we only see one side of things we have no clue the other side. We don't know what kind of contract that written up and such. Some stuff is public knowledge but the deeper stuff that we don't know about might not be and that is what could be keeping them from talking about it.

Could they come and please one side of the people and say sorry we are still working on things sure. But at the same time once they do many will start asking questions. It gets done all the time and has been done here on the forums on both sides console and PC. So maybe they find it better to just do what they are doing. Maybe it is the wrong way to go about it maybe it is the right way. It is matter of opinion I guess on how one feels about it.

Now my post just in general not saying you Silezia was towards those that come across rude and disrespectful first. Just incase any confusion.

No Roland I don't see your point. Why don't you spell your case out for us pleb console gamer "fanboi"s who have to just "get over it" as Sylen so eloquently put it.

It doesn't matter if the lemon car I bought is a Maserati (aka PC) or a Ford Fiesta (aka consoles). Customer rights laws exist for a reason. Since you seem to implicate occasionally that you have inside knowledge on the inner circle of TFP, why don't you go ahead and give them a courtesy heads up that their behavior could be actionable. Should someone with the means and desire pursue that course.

Pretty sure the smug responses would evaporate quite rapidly and everyone liable would wish pretty quickly that they had handled this situation differently. TFP is a small developer and it would not take much effort to drastically alter their future.

As I said previously, I love 7D2D and TFP, but that doesn't mean our good will is infinite. Toss us a bone every now and then and more importantly show a little respect.

So they should always show respect no matter what or how the customer is being?

The mods are not perfect by any means I disagree with a lot of things they say and sometimes do. But I hardly ever see one just come out being rude unless someone was being disrespectful. So I say show respect and you get it.

The mods actually do have my utmost respect. Dealing with difficult people every day would wear on anyone. Deserves even more respect when it is a voluntary unpaid burden.

I agree that the customer is not always right. Bad customers might even deserve getting treated poorly. It depends on the circumstances. In this particular case I believe that the frustrated customers are actually in the right.

Had TTG closed and it was left at that, there would be no issues with TFP. They chose to come out and make a statement that they were seeking to get the console publishing rights back. Well the auction is over. Did you get them TFP or not? Is a very fair question.

Secondly they stated that they had every intention of continuing support for the console version. So now we the customers actually have a very legitimate interest in how things shake out.

They can't get our hopes up and then ghost us. This is actually made worse because most of us had already given up on seeing any update at all. Even before TTG shutdown it was clear that chances were all but none. Then TFP comes riding in on their white horse and says "we got you. If it is at all in our power we can, nay, we will save the day!" Paraphrasing of course, but you get the point.

Since that glorious day and the second coming of TFP... Radio silence. I think it is quite fair to lob some criticism where it is due. And unless a poster on here is truly getting out of hand I would argue that they are entitled to even a little level of outrage.

My biggest fear with the moderators is that I can see their frustration. Their comments and replies are showing less restraint. I emphasize with them. Sure no one has been getting banned or anything yet, but its not a big leap to take that next step.

For my part I do apologize to Roland for my comment last night. Upon reflection and rereading I don't feel he deserved that. Still think he could've left out that last sentence... but regardless I was inappropriate.

Could they come and please one side of the people and say sorry we are still working on things sure. But at the same time once they do many will start asking questions.

The above is the exact reason to "sometimes" keep people in the dark. You dont want to tell half a story, as most people want to have the remaider of the story or know how it's going to end.. an assumption as I don't know if this is true but it could be that TFP can't or are uncertain if they are able to tell the rest of the story for console "At this moment in time"

The information will come when the time is right sadly for every one, that time is not right now.

They can't get our hopes up and then ghost us. This is actually made worse because most of us had already given up on seeing any update at all. Even before TTG shutdown it was clear that chances were all but none. Then TFP comes riding in on their white horse and says "we got you. If it is at all in our power we can, nay, we will save the day!" Paraphrasing of course, but you get the point.

So you are arguing that TFP should have kept their mouth shut from the beginning and not even say that they want to ride in as the white knight?

See, they can only lose whatever they do. Say nothing and people will demand their rights as customers (even though they are technically only customers to Telltale, not TFP, but every post here makes a point of being a customer at least twice). Say something and again people will demand not to get their hopes up.

Really, are you so delicate that you can't endure a little hope? Is patience a lost art of the 20th century?

My advice: Don't give TFP credit for that announcement a few months ago, whether you believe them or mistrust them. Words are cheap. If they really get a deal together THEN it is time to applaud. Whether they got the rights or not is really not important for you, it is just another bit of information some will get hyped over and then later tilt if nothing comes of it.

Yes that was basically my point. Would've been better to not say anything at all and certainly not to make promises for continued console support. Unless they really intend to. Which they very well may have the best intentions to fulfill that promise.

The lack of information since then, after getting people hyped that the platform just might not die, is why you see people angry. As I showed in my previous examples there is a lot of information that could've been shared. Shared without any commitments one way or the other toward the future.

People would likely still ask questions that can't be answered easily. Perhaps legal ones. Perhaps TFP is still deciding whether console support is economically feasible to continue investing in. Perhaps they are in negotiations. All things I pointed out in the previous thread in defense of TFP. All things that they don't necessarily need to disclose.

I'm a realist and can respect those type of decisions. It won't break my heart if the game remains as is. That's life. Speaking just for myself. Others might take the news far worse.

As I said I'm fairly neutral on the issue. My comments collectively have displayed both sides of the argument.

Knowing half the truth is worse than being lied to.

TFP is simply waiting until all the eggs are in one basket before letting us know what's going on.

I mean, just imagine the reaction from the user base in the following situations.

• TFP lost the auction. They're still trying to find out who bought it.
  • TFP Lost the auction. They're working with the purchaser.
  • TFP won the auction. They're seeking another publishing company.
  • TFP won the auction. They're working on a deal with Sony to publish, and IG for continuing development.

That's just 4 possibilities off the top of my head.

Now look at those again, and realize that the recipient of the information is an un-educated console player. They aren't familiar with how the world works. They aren't aware of the realities of the legal system, and the amount of effort that has to be put in to keep the ball rolling.

In each of those scenarios, the best-effort time to getting things rolling again is several months. Assuming that everything works out in the end, you're still looking at at least a few months of development time by IG. More if the purchaser sources to another company, that could take a year.

Now TFP gives you the little tidbits of news, and those same console players are out here screaming "where's the damn update" again.

This is all assuming that it's deemed financially viable to continue. It may not be.

In which case, we're stuck with what we bought. A finished product of the PC version at Alpha 14.7. Everything after that is cake.

The updates with a15 features were a bonus we weren't entitled to.

The huge amounts of money spent to continue developing the console version to keep updating it an adding things wasn't something anyone had to do. (And to be fair, Telltale probably spent that money, not TFP.)

TFP promising to continue to aid console users wasn't required either. It wasn't their idea to do the console port in the first place, TellTale approached them on that.

TFP is simply waiting until all the eggs are in one basket before letting us know what's going on.

I mean, just imagine the reaction from the user base in the following situations.

• TFP won the auction. They're working on a deal with Sony to publish, and IG for continuing development.

Now look at those again, and realize that the recipient of the information is an un-educated console player. They aren't familiar with how the world works. They aren't aware of the realities of the legal system, and the amount of effort that has to be put in to keep the ball rolling.

In each of those scenarios, the best-effort time to getting things rolling again is several months. Assuming that everything works out in the end, you're still looking at at least a few months of development time by IG. More if the purchaser sources to another company, that could take a year.

Now TFP gives you the little tidbits of news, and those same console players are out here screaming "where's the damn update" again.

This is all assuming that it's deemed financially viable to continue. It may not be.

In which case, we're stuck with what we bought. A finished product of the PC version at Alpha 14.7. Everything after that is cake.

The huge amounts of money spent to continue developing the console version to keep updating it an adding things wasn't something anyone had to do. (And to be fair, Telltale probably spent that money, not TFP.)

TFP promising to continue to aid console users wasn't required either. It wasn't their idea to do the console port in the first place, TellTale approached them on that.

I agree with about 50% of your post. But when you start throwing out names as “un-educated console player” I think you are causing part of the anger coming from the console player, educated or un-educated. That being said I wasn’t the person who posted the TellTale Update and said I was working on getting the rights back to a game after terminating the agreement between TFP and TTG, or continuing aid to console players.

The continuing aid to the console player part is part of the half truth I think you are talking about. I do believe TFP want every version to succeed and be the best it can be, but I also understand how the real world works, and like to educate people on things rather then insult because they don’t know how businesses stay in business or what causes them to file for assignment. Spending resources (money) on something we both agree was never likely the plan (making it for console) will not accomplish the goal of finishing up the PC version.

I agree there are countless scenarios to where this can go. The fact is no matter what happens, it will happen in a logical order, that could be easily shared. There has to be a plan in place and understandably that plan can change. The interesting thing is Stranded Deep the game like 7D2D in alpha on steam was going to be released by TTG and got bit by the same issue, except it wasn’t an update, but the release of the game. They posted in May (on twitter) they got their rights back and are moving forward with the port to console. So I think we all know that the auction of the source code for console is owned by someone. I do not believe TFP are not trying to find out who bought it for two logical reasons. 1) They own it, or 2)Why go seek out who bought the rights to it as there is no real smart business reason to spend money on as you already said it a completed game, the agreement with TTG being terminated meant no updates/sequels which i can only assume passed on to the next owner. So why not come out and let that shoe drop? Without seeing the original contract TFP might have missed a big paycheck if they didn’t think the console game would sell over 3 million copies.

I really hope they did get it, and plan on re-releasing it for ps4, and put me on the pre-order list.

As for the console players screaming “where’s the damn update”. I will help you educate them and tell them TFP never promised us the update. TTG was the one who promised that, and likely promised to pay IG for doing the actual work. I do believe Roland at one point posted it was close to being done. Please call me out on that and I will go find the quote as I did ask how he knew that. Doesn’t take much to put in news and announcements a new thread that is closed and you won’t have to hear anyone complain.

So the only real reason I come to the console section to see what is going on, and is to see what the game plan is, or heck maybe even an idea of a time frame of when we might hear something. Once again even if that game plan is sorry guys we tried but it didn’t work out. Unfortunately for us console players the TTG update in early 2018 that discussion turned into silence. Then mid 2018 things were on track and the update would be out at the end, followed by silence. Until the TellTale Games update from TFP which brings us to this point right here. IMHO TTG did the cowardice thing and just left the building. I get no one likes bad news, but I don’t believe this is the fault of TFP so man up and at least acknowledge the source code was sold, and if TFP own it or not. Anything beyond that I would totally understand is beyond your control and I wouldn’t say much after that either. Well unless I did own the code, at which point I would put it on kickstarter to not risk any additional resources until the PC is gold.

The logical idea is to communicate so both sides understand where each side is. We don’t have to agree, but we do have to respect that we might disagree. If TFP posted tomorrow or the next day, or the next month, or the next year with any information do you really think you are not going to have unhappy people either way?????

For the record TFP never posted the 7D2D official T-shirt that is for sale in the console section, or the twitter contest for a free steam key. I know console isn’t steam based but they could have offered a free console version. I own both versions, but I have friends who for financial reasons like the console over the PC. I love both and understand the pros and cons of both sides. I am the educated person who gets to do all the hard work in keeping up the console version because the window is still open.

I own both versions, but I have friends who for financial reasons like the console over the PC.

This describes me succinctly. My PC is a verifiable potato, and I can't afford $1,000 - $2,000 to build a good gaming PC, even though I'd love to own the game on PC. As such, I'm stuck playing this game on console, which I still do, albeit no longer daily like I used to. Because console is my only available source, I hope for the best for the console port, and pray for news on any future updates. As I have stated previously, I don't care about new content. I don't need the full "A17 experience", as I actually prefer my zombies lootable. Any new content that could come out would just be icing on the cake. I just want bug and crash fixes, as the current "completed" version that we've paid for is sometimes nearly unplayable due to the constant crashes. That's what keeps me coming back to the forums every few days, the hope and desire for any sort of news, be it good or bad. If I know that the version we currently have is the version we're stuck with, then so be it. I'll continue to play the game, and happily, despite its many issues, because I truly love this game, and feel that it is one of the best games to be released in it's genre since "survival crafting" became a thing. I just don't want to continue to place my hope in an update that may never come. Any info, at all, is all many of us are asking for. That being said, I do also understand the business side of things, in that during negotiations, information cannot always be provided to the consumer, due to legal obligations. I just hope for a quick end to the nonsense that TTG has put TFP, and by extension their customers, through, and any sort of news for those of us still loyal to the cause, sooner rather than later.

How are you a mod seriously every post you make is dumber than the last. Every post you insult console players and waive your idiotic pc player flag further proving you have 0 clue what the rest of us feel like. Every example you gave would have been better than what TFP are doing EVERY SINGLE ONE. Knowing half the truth is in no way better than knowing nothing while being promised everything. The console version should be pulled from the market at this point. TFP and everyone else involved should not get a cent off our backs over an unfinished, buggy game that has seen 0 support. To imagine that money is then being used to further the PC development is even worse. PC players can go pay for any and all content they get going further using their own money. In the meantime lets not make a hero of TFP who acted out of greed, kept their label on a game they had little involvement in now wants to "support us" so sales continue. Nope the worst outcome here is TFP get the rights back and we are back to same place 2-3 years ago sitting here with no info hoping someone will finish their abysmal port

I agree with Skillz. All four examples would be better and for all the reasons I've already stated multiple times.

I also really hope that "uneducated console players" was just poor wording and what you meant to say was "the less informed console players". As in you are referencing the players who don't keep up with the latest news as frequently.

The interesting thing is Stranded Deep the game like 7D2D in alpha on steam was going to be released by TTG and got bit by the same issue, except it wasn’t an update, but the release of the game. They posted in May (on twitter) they got their rights back and are moving forward with the port to console.

So they posted in May when they knew they had the rights AND the development capacity, since they are developing it, right? TFP wants to do exactly the same it seems.

As for the console players screaming “where’s the damn update”. I will help you educate them and tell them TFP never promised us the update.

It seems skillz_over_9000 did make that assumption just 2 posts after yours. You can start right away :cocksure:

(Sorry, that was too good to pass up. You don't need to answer that)

I will break this down one more time and condense my opinions for the sake of brevity. If you want more, my previous posts expand on most of these.

Communication

All I've asked for is a little more communication from the TFP team. Something as simple as sharing public knowledge when its available. In the past this could've been Sherwood Partners role, auction date, auction completed, anonymous buyer, etc. Not looking for any further promises or predictions or hopes for the future from TFP necessarily. Even a bare minimum of the facts from TFP would have gone a long way toward continued goodwill.

Transparency

I'm not looking for full transparency. I don't need TFP to disclose their entire business plan. They don't need to drop their drawers and show me their dirty underwear. There are a lot of sound business reasons not to tell us all of their plans. The console future could have a lot of moving parts. I get that. I point this out to make the distinction between "some" communication and full "transparent" communication. A lot of people seem to think when we ask for a little news that we need to know everything. Communucation doesn't have to be an all or nothing proposition.

Anonymous Buyer

As I said in the previous thread, this is a big red flag to me because there are only two possibilities. One the buyer was not TFP and they are either in negotiations with them or TFP doesn't know themselves who it is. Two the buyer was TFP and they've chosen to remain anonymous while they figure things out. Best case scenario is that they are shopping for a new publisher and can't talk further for legal reasons. Worst case scenario they will not continue console updates and just wanted their rights back and to collect residual sales. The reasons for not continuing support could be economics (totally understandable), lack of interest (its your IP I can understand that too), or fear of another fiasco like TTG. On that last one I can also totally understand. The TTG situation was/has probably been a nightmare and TFP simply doesn't want to go through the risk of another publisher soup sandwich. So its easier to just focus on the PC and maybe one day in the future re-enter the console market (or not).

Red Flag

Why do I say its a red flag that the buyer is anonymous? Well my personal opinion and gut feeling is that the buyer was TFP. Running all of the scenarios in my head that makes the most sense especially since they've been silent on the topic. Draw your own conclusions.

Archived