Alpha 18 Dev Diary!!

madmole

Alpha 18 Dev Diary!!  

3 members have voted

1. 1. Alpha 18 Dev Diary!!

• A18 Stable is Out!
    • :)

Treading water all night is a current tactic that all the water treaders love and enjoy. Am I saying that TFP should make it so treading water is impossible? No. But I would like it if maybe dogs could swim or if once you run out of stamina you start to sink and drown-- but then make swimming take less stamina so you can a least cross rivers without drowning.

Driving around all night is a current tactic that all drivers love and enjoy. I'm saying bring some challenge to that tactic as well so that people can still do it but it isn't 100% easy button. Not so much challenge that a new player would never be able to pull it off but some challenge so that it is fun enough that maybe someone like me who likes to defend a base might want to switch things up and try a different challenge for one of these nights.

And how many players are currently swimming during the Horde Night and how many are driving around ? This question was never answered.

Also, it shouldn't bother anybody how others play their game. I bet you'll get a lot of comments explaining that you're playing the game "wrong".

I think we agree. The issue is that conversation about a gas nerf was started because others are concerning themselves with how others play the game.

Grow up. Both of you.

If anyone was "bothered" or remotely concerned by how you played the game, they would complain about the dozens of options you already have at your disposal, like cheat mode, disabling hordes etc. That's obviously not the case, none gives a damn, so stop it with the phony self-righteousness, it has consumed much of the forum already.

Besides, nobody is saying to make it impossible to run away or drive around all night.

That's not true.

If you search the forum you will find posts from players who have suggested that the atmosphere during the horde night should be poisonous and only the lainclaimblock protects one. Or it was suggested that in horde night acid should rain from the sky. Both would have made it virtually impossible to run away.

The current thread was opened with the suggestion that the zombies should run 10x as fast as the player. Even the bike doesn't run 10x as fast as a player can run. The zombies would always catch you. And unlike the player, the zombies do not need stamina or fuel.

You're always talking about risk and reward. How about work and reward ?

If gas is scarce in the game and a player can't ride the bike during the horde night, he can make up for it with work. He can mine oil shale in the desert.

:/ Hopefully we can remove this.

Id really wouldn't like to know, that I can count on having a stash of ammo waiting for me in every poi, and that I might need to go out of my way sometimes to restock my supply.

Its been confirmed that some POIs are not worth the effort and ammo sink, so they are making adjustments.

When you say loot rewritten from scratch, do you mean like via the placement of containers, or in xml?

Everything is reorganized into groups that are governed by a game stage probability template instead of hard coded %'s. So before we deemed pistols and hunting rifles as weak sauce weapons and ak's and smgs as awesome weapons, and hard coded the weak sauce ones to drop frequenty. Now all weapons have an equal chance of their tier to drop and we use loot templates, so adding a new weapon is just adding it to a list that doesn't have any % to think about.

So managing loot won't be as big of a nightmare moving forward, just put things in the right group and you are done.

If gas is scarce in the game and a player can't ride the bike during the horde night, he can make up for it with work. He can mine oil shale in the desert.

That'd be an awfully fine edge to have to balance gas on - enough to allow the player to ride around for 6 days of the week, but not enough to allow them to drive around on the 7th.

To be sure, gas is over-abundant at the moment, but to try and balance it to be another "Don't avoid the Horde" mechanism would require some pretty exquisite balancing, akin to dancing on the head of a pin I reckon.

Nice change! I also did some materials-based research for my own mod, and it stood out to me that football and mining helmets have been made of plastic since the 1950’s, as are most shopping baskets. Also, cigars should be made of plant fibers. :)

I fixed those.

Sadly it does not work that way at the moment, there are at least two problems that prevent us from doing this.

- We cannot add meshes like you and other devs can, we can add models exported with Unity but those come with their own texture and are model blocks or model entities and thus do not work along with the painting system. I tried importing just a mesh from the mods folder but no luck so far.

- No access to block textures so we cannot add anything or change anything there, not even by supplying it as external assets in the mods folder.

It probably is not a priority of A18 or even A19 but it would be nice if this would be opened up for modders just like importing unity assets and xpath was opened up in A17.

You cannot paint block models or model entities, you need to create a block shape, only those are paintable.

If that doesn't work you'll have to wait for steam workshop.

Its been confirmed that some POIs are not worth the effort and ammo sink, so they are making adjustments.

Thank you sir! and let those who are doing the adjustment they have my thanks as well. :)

I think that making your base safe enough to be a safe haven to new players is something you can already do and all it takes is trust to not be betrayed.... I don't think something like trader protection needs to be added to player bases as an end of game status for players to offer their bases as safe zones. But maybe I read you wrong?

Definitely not making the base 100 percent safe with trader protection. I should expand more on the idea, but more like a player can rent a room and then "re-rent" it to a new player at a cheaper price, or for trade if that new player didnt have enough resources to do so on his own. Thats just a rough idea really and may not even be a doable thing. Then again as you now know us modders (of which we are proud to have you part of) are about doing the impossible.

Perhaps if faction rep becomes a thing, you can earn enough with the Duke to "own" your own room that you can rent to others at a set price you make.

It could even take a few resources. Say you need to upgrade it a bit to activate it, or it has a genny in it that is empty you have to supply the fuel for the night. Lots of ways to expand the idea.

That's not true.

If you search the forum you will find posts from players who have suggested that the atmosphere during the horde night should be poisonous and only the lainclaimblock protects one. Or it was suggested that in horde night acid should rain from the sky. Both would have made it virtually impossible to run away.

The current thread was opened with the suggestion that the zombies should run 10x as fast as the player. Even the bike doesn't run 10x as fast as a player can run. The zombies would always catch you. And unlike the player, the zombies do not need stamina or fuel.

And who are these people making such extreme suggestions? Developers? No.

Please give the devs credit that they know what is too much. Do you really think they are going to poison the air outside your base so you die if you take a few steps away? Come on.

I’m not suggesting 100% death for leaving the base and the devs won’t design such idiocy so please leave such counter examples out of your argument.

The desire is for balanced challenge for each tactic of survival. End of story.

Yes, but I've watched your streams and you enjoy some challenge to the game. You must realize that by supporting those aspects of the game that deliver the challenge you enjoy, you are at the same time denying others who want a more relaxed game. There is no escape from it. Whatever balance is settled upon is going to jar someone in the world the wrong way.

Besides, nobody is saying to make it impossible to run away or drive around all night. It just needs to be similar in risk/cost to renting a room all night for however many dukes. That is just simple balance. I really don't understand how anyone could be against balancing these tactics with each other. Nobody has come out against the room fee idea so since it seems everyone is for that then what is this resistance to balancing the game against that?

Also, I firmly believe that challenge is what drives the popularity of this game. Loopholes and easy buttons seem great on the surface but they lead to fast boredom of the game and then abandonment. Maintaining a challenge for every playstyle is what will keep more people playing the game and that is what I'm fighting for. I am not asking for playstyles to be cut away from the game-- only that each playstyle has its own brand of challenge, risk, and reward.

I put out a challenge in guppy's thread. Hopefully someone takes up the challenge and we can see a PoC of what I think may be viable.

Got a PoC challenge for the vehicle gurus on here.

1) Attach a spawn block that is 30-60 meters directly in front of a vehicle that travels with the vehicle.

2) Have the spawn block, spawn zombies every 10 seconds or so.

Bonus:

3) Have the spawn block only active when the vehicle is controlled by the player.

4) Have the spawn block only activate during the night.

Why? just because its something to do and sounds like a cool mechanic (imo).

Edit: Plus it wouldn't remove the ability in using a vehicle to flee, but increase the challenge of doing so.

I also don't think the Gas reduction is going to really do anything, other than extending the time it takes to acquire gas, but won't stop people from being able to stockpile it.

Edit2: Yes I do know that it wouldn't technically be a Block, for the spawn block ;)

Animals got some attention this week:

Changed: Improved boss Grace (AI aggressive to players, destroy area, territorial. Slightly smaller. Moves slower. Longer range and more damage)

Changed: Decreased wolf attack delay, range and damage

Changed: Increased dire wolf attack delay, range and damage

Changed: Decreased bear attack range/sphere values

Changed: Reduced bear, boar, canine and vulture hit check delays

Fixed: Mountain Lion ragdoll NRE

Fixed: Mountain Lion neck snap from death anim or ragdoll

Added: Animal leap ability

Changed: Improved Mountain Lion (moves faster, leaps, 3 part jump anim, shorter zombie aggro range)

Changed: Improved AI RunawayFromEntity

Fixed: AI RunawayWhenHurt never triggering with default values

Changed: Timid animals run from hostile animals

Changed: Improved Coyote (attacks chickens and rabbits, short chase times, mostly retreats when taking moderate damage)

Super excited to see all this, great job!

I agree with the sentiment that making fuel prohibitively rare wouldn't be fun, and neither would extreme solutions like killing the player for leaving during horde night.

There's always a middle-ground though: engines running poorly, moderate stamina debuff... Plenty of things can work as incentives without hard-line blocking gameplay possibilities.

Some good ideas being written here Madmole. Also look at Rust for good ideas or peoples mods like that guy just posted. Can’t wait for a18. Haven’t been playing but plan to soon as a18 hits the streets. Bye Madmole.

I play some rust here and there, but I obliterated the testers and they rage quit and shut down the server so that was that lol.

And who are these people making such extreme suggestions? Developers? No.

Please give the devs credit that they know what is too much. Do you really think they are going to poison the air outside your base so you die if you take a few steps away? Come on.

I’m not suggesting 100% death for leaving the base and the devs won’t design such idiocy so please leave such counter examples out of your argument.

The desire is for balanced challenge for each tactic of survival. End of story.

I never said developers wanted anything like that. I was explicitly talking about players how you can see in my first sentence. But it's just players discussing in the thread you mentioned.

Your statement was "Besides, nobody is saying to make it impossible to run away or drive around all night."

"Nobody" is not a clearly defined group unlike "developers". Therefore my answer.

And on the subject of the saints defending play styles that are not their own. Someone has to create a counterweight in these threads. Otherwise it's just echo chambers where players confirm to each other how big the problem is and that you have to take extreme measures against it. I also think of other players who don't write in the forum themselves but still like to play the game.

I agree that the roaming hordes later in the game are no longer scary with one exception. The dogs and zombie bear horde is still scary even with a high level and good equipment. The wolves are said to be much more deadly in A18. A wolf horde might then also be more of a threat than a meat delivery.

With a small modlet you can increase the size of the wandering hordes. This of course also increases the cpu load if a wandering horde appears.

Wolves are weak sauce, not sure who told you that. Meals on wheels.

I did not know that the loot was affected by gamestage. @madmole could you explain more this. How does gamestage affect loot? Does that mean if in A18, I'm at a super low gamestage, the loot I get will in general be crappy?

Yes, but there is always a low chance for good loot, it just gets better as the game progresses. Its like Skyrim, bandits have iron weapons early game and bosses have steel. Later on a few bosses might have orcish, even later they start having ebony, etc. Still just a chance though, its not guaranteed, its just more likely at a higher level.

I do not see any problems with brass or ammo. And this despite the fact that I do not play in a single game, I play on pvp servers. Sometimes just throwing stacks of ammo, no place to put.

Much more annoying bleeding from zombies and animals. It will be with you the whole game, regardless of your level, perks or quality armor. Sometimes in one minute I get and cure 2-3 bleedings, it is annoying. Can we expect new modifiers for armor to reduce the chance of bleeding?

Armor is supposed to drastically reduce chance for bleeding in A18.

Archived