Alpha 18 Dev Diary!!

madmole

Alpha 18 Dev Diary!!  

3 members have voted

1. 1. Alpha 18 Dev Diary!!

• A18 Stable is Out!
    • :)

I think I remember it around A15-ish? I may be mistaken though. I may have just assumed such a system was in place because it seemed like a glaringly obvious balance. That is definitely why I didn't realise everything was the same HP... I wasn't looking for it.

Nah. I made this infographic back in A14, and I would've noticed if the game added shape-based block HP since then. I've probably been asking for them to add it since A15. :D

I don't dislike A* at all, I just think it's the wrong tool for this particular job.

Okay, sorry. I edited the post to say you don’t like A* for this. However, your claim that there would be exploits specifically with shape-based block HP is still unsubstantiated. And separately, you still have no answer for what else the heuristic for A* should be other than block HP, despite insisting that basing the path weight on block HP is the problem.

If gas is highly sought after, it opens it up to being a loot item that you can get excited about.

It could be added to supply crates and to trader quest rewards and people would actually appreciate it.

Spend your week building money for gas and looting gas to prepare for horde night.

Spend your week repairing your base, looting and saving for ammo to prepare for horde night.

If gas = brass we have balance in the universe no matter which way you wish to play it.

No doubt.

Madmole, are all biomes getting hit with the texture updates for A18, or just whatever gets done before then?

I can see the wasteland will be the hardest to get looking good.

I can't imagine getting any rubble and debris texture looking great on such a flat surface. Are there any ideas being thrown around?

All that is left is dirt, forest ground, burnt forest ground and wasteland... oh and asphalt. We won't ship until they are done. Justin is a wizard, he made all the outdoor Rage textures so I'm sure we're in good hands.

IDC if people drive around on horde night, hell, it's fun, but I think gas needs to be more difficult to attain because it's too easy right now. Might as well not even have gas...

... anyone ever run out? No? Then it is currently useless.

Right I recognized this in testing so I've spearheaded the gas balance. There will be no action taken towards vehicle drivers on horde night for A18.

All that is left is dirt, forest ground, burnt forest ground and wasteland... oh and asphalt. We won't ship until they are done. Justin is a wizard, he made all the outdoor Rage textures so I'm sure we're in good hands.

Nice! Thanks.

You sure are in good hands. The whole team in general is pretty solid right now.

Loving when faatal pops in with all those extras we weren't even thinking much about but are amazing.

17 uses Microsplat for terrain.

It has a tessellation and parallax module that can be added.

If 18 has upgraded to Megasplat then parallax is already included, they just need to turn it on ;)

https://assetstore.unity.com/packages/tools/terrain/microsplat-96478

https://assetstore.unity.com/packages/tools/terrain/microsplat-tessellation-and-parallax-96484

17 Doesn't use microsplat, 18 does.

No gas? Why? Is this like "if I can't have all the gas, I don't want any at all"? Not understanding that.

I'm sure if this caused a shortage for your generators or molotovs to the point where it made using either impractical, they would just make it so that they use less gas, but vehicles use more.

I already said the goal is to get by on what you find, but if you want to thrive like now you'll need a shale mine. Before it was 1000's of gas, selling 80% of it and using 20% at most, and that's literally ignoring to pick up barrels because meh, I have 50k gas.

He meant gas is so plentiful that cars should just automatically work with always full tanks and Molotov’s just have the gas built into their recipe for free.

Yeah gas in recipes and in vehicles in 17 was simply a formality. Anyhow 18 is all about balance, you guys will love it I assure you.

I agreed with you that nerfing gas was not a way to solve the problem of horde night driving. And tried to prove it by showing that gas has to be reasonably cheap 6 days of the week. It cannot be expensive on horde night only.

Well, it could be. You can come up with lore for virtually any gameplay scenario. On the night of the Blood Moon, the air thickens with particulate matter that creates a red fog, turns the moon red, and interferes with the fuel/air ratio in combustion engines, severely reducing their fuel efficiency. Thus gas is effectively more expensive on horde night only.

But then, spawning zombies in front of the player's vehicle so they're constantly dodging hazards sounds more fun, so I'd sooner pursue that idea.

Well to be honest. If you have enough gas and steel, you can make undestructible base just by blade and dart traps alone. Almost alone. Eletric fence in front of blade traps so bambies get stunned and don't destroy your traps and you can reduce their number, together with dart traps. The rest gets smashed on blades. Have different generator rooms for each side of your base if you make it square. On horde night, turn on the deffenses on that side, where bambies are coming from. It is a long run base. But lets be honest. Early game you would not even need such deffenses.

That’s why I’m suggesting powered traps should use more energy when they’re killing things than when they’re idling. But nerfing gas overall could accomplish the same goal.

And how many players are currently swimming during the Horde Night and how many are driving around ? This question was never answered.

The fact that you ask that question demonstrates that you still think the point is to do something about how other people play the game. Think again. :p

The fact that you ask that question demonstrates that you still think the point is to do something about how other people play the game. Think again. :p

Why do people assume that others care how they play?

I want challenges driving on horde night for my own enjoyment. I don’t care about how it affects your gameplay

I want digging zombies for my enjoyment. I don’t care how it affects anyone else.

I want harder difficulty and challenges for my enjoyment and couldn’t care at all how it affects others

The list goes on and on and come to think of it’s very self centered of me to think this way but at least I admit it. People thinking I care about the way they play is also self centered of them and they dont even realize it.

I am not worried about anyone’s else’s gameplay in the slightest bit; believe me.

Why do people assume that others care how they play?

I want challenges driving on horde night for my own enjoyment. I don’t care about how it affects your gameplay

I want digging zombies for my enjoyment. I don’t care how it affects anyone else.

I want harder difficulty and challenges for my enjoyment and couldn’t care at all how it affects others

The list goes on and on and come to think of it’s very self centered of me to think this way but at least I admit it. People thinking I care about the way they play is also self centered of them and they dont even realize it.

I am not worried about anyone’s else’s gameplay in the slightest bit; believe me.

Well, that's like saying: "I love hamburguers, and I dont care about what anyone thinks of my opinion" inside of a MC Donald's.

All of that is in line with the devs vision so..... "I love Snow and I'm a dog!!!".

I was joking. Gas barrels are now loot instead of pickups, so you get way less gas, 20-80 per barrel.

so instead of getting a lifetime supply of gas from one oil refinery we get the equivalent of maybe 2 barrels? but it also respawns dependent on game settings though, so it would still seem like a place to go which would make sense given the type of building it is.

will barrels still be craftable for storage reasons? or would you think it would be that scarce where one wouldnt need that option anymore.

Except the trader doesnآ’t get his fun since he wonآ’t ever be paid for a room to rent on blood moon night if spending the night on a motorcycle carries absolutely no risk and/or has negligible fuel costs....

If the trader had gotten off his lazy ass and risked his life then he could have gotten the gas to sell! But NOOO, he wants to repress the proletariat!

Are we, the survivors of the apocalypse not repressed enough?? Revolution!!!!

Yes that was a RWG map I showed.

Noice! I drove from Dallas TX to my home Tempe AZ yesterday and that looks very much like the scenery I saw on the way there. You guys are perfectionist.

My big gripe with A17 RWG is the terrible road pathing. I think I saw you mentioning that A18 had been getting better on that end, but can you tell us how? Like can we at least expect to now see any 90 degree walls going down the road? I kinda liked the A16 way the RWG roads were made.

No gas? Why? Is this like "if I can't have all the gas, I don't want any at all"? Not understanding that.

I'm sure if this caused a shortage for your generators or molotovs to the point where it made using either impractical, they would just make it so that they use less gas, but vehicles use more.

Jesus. His comment was really that hard to understand? He is saying that gas is SO PLENTIFUL that it doesn't contribute to the game play in any valuable way. So everything that uses gas should just work as they do now but remove the need to put gas in them. A game mechanic that has no value is just taking up space. He didn't even imply that things that use gas should be taken out of the game.

I fixed those.

That’s awesome! I love these kinds of improvements.

Since you changed shotgun shells, have you considered incorporating that modern arrows/bolts typically use plastic fletching instead of feathers? I'd suggest it as an alternate or replacement recipe for the steel version of these ammunitions. I mean feathers work, but if you're changing shotgun shells, why not?

Also on materials, it'd be cool if hanging moss and hay bales could be destroyed or scrapped for plant fibers, respectively.

Lastly, a crucible has no moving parts and so shouldn't need mechanical parts. I found that some designs use clay with quartz sand, so I think a (large) quantity of glass would be a better substitute.

Easy fix to that: zombies target valuables. Containers, workstations, vehicles..

My problem with that is it’s completely un-zombie-like for them to be attracted to inert, inanimate objects or structures when there are no tasty brains inside. It's been said before, but save that for bandits.

Jesus. His comment was really that hard to understand? He is saying that gas is SO PLENTIFUL that it doesn't contribute to the game play in any valuable way. So everything that uses gas should just work as they do now but remove the need to put gas in them. A game mechanic that has no value is just taking up space. He didn't even imply that things that use gas should be taken out of the game.

No, it wasn't. What I originally assumed was swayed by the response I quoted which wasn't as easy to understand. That ok with you, Jesus?

Everything is reorganized into groups that are governed by a game stage probability template instead of hard coded %'s. So before we deemed pistols and hunting rifles as weak sauce weapons and ak's and smgs as awesome weapons, and hard coded the weak sauce ones to drop frequenty. Now all weapons have an equal chance of their tier to drop and we use loot templates, so adding a new weapon is just adding it to a list that doesn't have any % to think about.

So managing loot won't be as big of a nightmare moving forward, just put things in the right group and you are done.

Interesting! Thanks for the details.

It sounds like this would lessen the problem of swimming in way more weak sauce weapons than you need. The only downside I see is losing the 'flavor' of certain loot containers. For example, would you start finding rocket launchers in toilets instead of pistols?

Wait, this isn't a plunger... *BOOM*

So you modded in a custom block shape?

Yes I did, well I imported something from unity according to what I saw how it was being processed by the game and it worked after some attempts. So seems it is already possible, though need to experiment more to fully understand it.

Archived