Alpha 18 Dev Diary!!

madmole

Alpha 18 Dev Diary!!  

3 members have voted

1. 1. Alpha 18 Dev Diary!!

• A18 Stable is Out!
    • :)

I'm not sure about that, but block tags are in, and you can increase damage with a perk or buff to a specific block containing a tag. This is my placeholder code to test it:

<passive_effect name="BlockDamage" operation="perc_add" value="200" tags="ironore,stoneore,nitrateore,leadore,shaleore"/>

Then on the blocks I add the <property name="Tags" value="stoneore"/>

It should be really awesome.

Awesome! This is very exciting.

Madmole have you guys ever thought about giving the "interaction point" (i don't know how is it called) a bigger size, less precision and close range? (Polish it)

Let me explain in my poor and primitive english:

When you are trying to open a door, you have to aim directly to it, if your crosshair is 1mm off the door, you can't open it.

Another example: If you stand beside a wall, like 3 meters away from a door, you can open it as long as 1 pixel of the door is in your crosshair

And another one(dj khaled reference): When someone drops a tiny item on the floor, you can pick it up only if your crosshair is exactly aiming to that said item. (I think holding E doesn't add it to your inventory no more, it only gets it closer to you)

I don't know if I explained myself correctly, but I think that little change could enhance interactions in-game.

Trankitas.

That is done by raycasts against block/item colliders. You make them bigger and they start to overlap and then you can't tell which one will get hit, which would be annoying trying to interact with what you are looking at and it hits something else.

@Madmole

In the new A 18

* Will we have a Stir homemade gun? that we could make without a prescription? shoot only handcrafted ammunition?

-If we can throw spears

* Can we throw axes?

* Is it a possibility to add the javelin?

* Is it a possibility to add throwing knife (feel like ninjas)

It's a zombie game we need all this to live

We talked about adding some make shift pistols and flintlock rifles so players can specialize on day 1. Not happening yet though, we have a lot of new guns to handle right now. There is a blunderbuss you can craft right away, but players usually find weapons before that.

THrowing knives would mean no power attack. Mods can provide these I'm sure on day 1 of A18's release.

There really isn't a lot of interaction in the game. We don't have micro loot to pick up like Fallout and Skyrim. THere is a little of that going on now but its still not that small.

For item pickup that makes more sense, which we kind of do with the suck it into you thing when pressing E. I was thinking along the lines of opening doors, using things, like vehicles and hitting stuff, which is a different use case.

Those kind of numbers work for me. Workable, and diminished sizes but for more gain and/or practicality/rp whatever.

Honestly I only mod up things that are just too low (weap damage, but that had hilarious unintended side effects, so I keep it).

We do need some drinks that give more hydration/stamina. I don't think anything is currently over 34 (yucca juice), I'd have to check.

So if I need to drink severa jars of water, yeah, I'll want a decent sized stack. Or gimme a recipe to make something better so I only need one or two to get back to max (from a reasonable point. If I let it drop to 50 and am trying to get to 200, well, DUH! I'm gonna need to drink a lake.) :D

ps: I just may make steaks to stacks of 5000 just in your honor. Getting 25,000 meat though, and the time to cook it all...

ok, gonna need a lot of beer for that bbq!

We're adding purified water that will be the best drink in the game. Loot from water coolers and craft with a book you can find.

Is it a lot of work to be able to change the order in our crafting queues? So instead of having to cancel and then re-crafting we can just push a button to move it to the front of the queue.

Example: I'm currently crafting 200 stone arrows but need to repair my stone axe to continue cutting down a tree. I press "repair" to add it to the queue then hover over it to get an option to move it to the front or up one space.

Just a QoL thing.

Not sure. Sounds like we need to nerf feathers big time :)

What about tying the availability/quantity of food to game difficulty settings?

How about we balance the game properly? Doing that just makes more work for us and we'll never make everyone happy. There is a loot abundancy that handles that already. Some players might not think that food needs to be super scarce just because they changed difficulty.

I like how we're finally talking about properly balancing stack sizes. balance all depends on how much MM wants his game to be realistic or just fun. Because if you were to go full realistic mode then we would be only able to carry 20-50 small stones and 10-25 raw iron chunks before you could not carry anymore let alone carry a 4x4 jeep in your pocket. I myself fully understand that I can't in real life that is carry 20 stacks of 6000 small rocks lol. 7D2D is a survival game that tries to have alot of common sense elements to challenge your character to survive. from my experience of the game it is not an inventory management game, its a game where you are suppose to loot, build, fight, defend and above all survive. If you die your char should lose something permanently that you have to then redo or reattain (another topic but Death needs to be punishing)

If you go the full realistic mode for loot stack sizes then you severely diminish the core function of the game and would have to change subtitle to the game. from "The Survival Horde Crafting Game" to "The Survival Inventory Management Game"

For example all building materials like rocks, iron, cement, wet cement, gas, lead, brass, and any other raw materials the stack size should all be set at 3k IMO this is to make it uniform while at the same time reduce the amount of material a person could carry as it would demonstrate a "sense of realism" without killing the crafting theme of the game. Also maybe have it to where when you put those items into a storage container the stack size is doubled or tripled? IDK? some other games do this like Empryion and to me that makes perfect sense.

this is just an example of just the raw materials. have them at 3k on the person but 6k or 12k even when put in a container

hope this is somewhat helpful or insightful. Overall 17.3 is amazing great work TFP!!!

I don't think building supplies matter that much. Its fun to build and making that tedious would just ruin that aspect. The main thing is healing items like food and medicine that should be limited.

I don't think building supplies matter that much. Its fun to build and making that tedious would just ruin that aspect. The main thing is healing items like food and medicine that should be limited.

I was using the raw materials as an example. but what do you think about reduced stack sizes on the player but increased when put into a container?

I was using the raw materials as an example. but what do you think about reduced stack sizes on the player but increased when put into a container?

If the item were still exposed to modding, it would need, I suspect, then to be duplicated, so the item transformed from "bandage on player" to "bandage in container" as it was moved, since the stack size is set in the XML's (or at least was, it's been a while since I last looked at that and can't right now).

Sounds a bit messy to me.

Not sure. Sounds like we need to nerf feathers big time :)

I see the humour in the response and I know it's not exactly a game-breaker but it's still a fair point.

The ability to move things around the crafting queue would help when I'm crafting over 500 spike traps for an outer defensive ring. Not essential but it would be a nice "quality of life" addition.

Zombie dogs would. We could probably add a flee option for heavily injured wolves and stuff, we're planning it for bandits.

Just a thought...

How about adding a simple "combat effectiveness" rating to the AI? Nothing too complex but something that would indicate whether attacking the player would be instant suicide. If the players combat rating is significantly higher than the animal's then the animal runs without attacking. This would to balance the later game when the player can one-shot anything.

This system would also benefit the bandit AI as it's pretty similar to how we "size things up" in real life.

If you want to go more complex then having separate offensive and defensive ratings would also help the AI choose the correct tactic for the situation, especially important for the bandits.

Archived