Alpha 18 Dev Diary!!

madmole

Alpha 18 Dev Diary!!  

3 members have voted

1. 1. Alpha 18 Dev Diary!!

• A18 Stable is Out!
    • :)

Honestly I think every attribute has a very cool special play through potential. Strength guy is shotguns, clubs and sledgehammers. We gave shotguns breacher ammo so you can blow through most walls easily. I can't wait to be able to make a quick escape if I get surrounded. No game lets you blow any wall up and have emergent game play like this one will. You can crack safes with them too. No more lugging a pickaxe around for safe cracking. Strength governs the cooking perks now, you need a lot of food to feed those big muscles and fortitude has hit points, so intellect has health items (yeah science). Nothing is stopping players from being jacks of all trades but I feel like there is much less having to be one now and true specialization is going to be a thing.

You have to be strong to cook? That is the type of thing that will drive me crazy. Someone awhile back suggested a Misc category for skills that weren't tied to a specific attribute. This is the reason that is a good idea. Now in game I'm going to have to make the decision, "Well, I want to be able to cook bacon and eggs I better get a point of STRENGTH." I'm probably in the minority but that kind of disconnect bothers me. A lot more than it should I know but it's the way I'm wired.

That's why I don't understand why there is so much picking on the farmers. Farmers invest points, time and effort in building a garden and should be rewarded with a reliable source of food and not be punished constantly because someone thinks that starving would be quite fun.

One has to start somewhere. Also hunting is principally working and just needs balancing steps (especially those pois you mention need a makeover). Farming was unbalanced AND had exponential growth which might still need conceptual changes.

The spears tip could use some more chipped off edges. Looks too clean, for being quickly made by an amateur.

Yeah - and that rope is way too good looking for having been made out of plant fibres.

And the spear wood tip frame doesn't look like it was carved at all.

Almost enough to make me wanna quit after 5000+ hours in.

Wait... are we Americans supposed to think ground floor means something other than first floor?

Other wise the Basement or foundation of the building for elec room, etc, parking access

- - - Updated - - -

Cool screenshot!

Is that spear made of dragon glass?

We have been wanting more early game weapons for a long time now, Thanks, now more types of Blunderbuss ammo, please

You have to be strong to cook? That is the type of thing that will drive me crazy. Someone awhile back suggested a Misc category for skills that weren't tied to a specific attribute. This is the reason that is a good idea. Now in game I'm going to have to make the decision, "Well, I want to be able to cook bacon and eggs I better get a point of STRENGTH." I'm probably in the minority but that kind of disconnect bothers me. A lot more than it should I know but it's the way I'm wired.

It's things like this that make me think that skills should have been categorized instead of grouped with physical attributes. Have survival, mechanical, physical branches of perks rather than the STR/PER, etc (ie Fallout's S.P.E.C.I.A.L.) attribute style. That ship has long sailed, I'm sure.

In order to maintain the current perk system, maybe consider some things are so generic they should be taken out as a perk at all?

For example, Cooking? Everyone needs to cook, people like to eat, right? Lock recipes behind perk books (IE. Cook Books) and collect them all to unlock the master chef perk that gives additional yield to cooking or something.

The point is that to some the part that we like most about the game is its potential for survival game. I only fully enjoy the game the first two or three days, when your survival matters.

Agriculture right now is not necessary, and if we make it anyway anyway once you have the farm running, you do not need any maintenance and you just have to sit and wait and see how everything multiplies.

I like to have unforeseen things happen, just like when they infect you, you need to urgently look for medicines regardless of day 1 or day 300. If you do not have medicine, you will die.

With the food should be the same, the crops should be spoiled in certain circumstances, the hunting should be scarce and should not be able to accumulate unlimited food is completely stupid.

It forces players like me to make decisions, between going to POIs to try to get food cans or desperately looking for an animal to get food while it is ready for the next harvest.

Food easy to get and infinite is boring for someone like me.

I would like to take care of the food was something important and useful and that my colleagues need me for it while they enjoy killing zombies. I would sincerely like there was a place for a guy like me in this game.

Some of us bought the game because it was a survival game in the voxel world, the zombies, tower defense and others are secondary to us. Those people who only want to kill zombies already have their game.

Put an option for others so no one complains. The options are good, right Madmole? :)

I don’t think even the most ardent of food spoilage fanboys want to be still starving on day 300. The point of spoilage is not to starve for the entire game. It is as with any progression mechanic: the feeling of achievement comes from the struggle and seeing the difference between where you once were and where you now are.

I’m thinking that it would be great if players could progress and overcome the threat of starvation by week three or four in game. Maybe a bit longer but definitely long before day 300. It’s just that now there is no threat from Day 1 even and this is billed as a survival game. There was a much higher threat in 17.0 so that shows that balance truly can account for some but balance won’t give us the tech progression pathway that a food spoilage system would.

I don’t think even the most ardent of food spoilage fanboys want to be still starving on day 300. The point of spoilage is not to starve for the entire game. It is as with any progression mechanic: the feeling of achievement comes from the struggle and seeing the difference between where you once were and where you now are.

I’m thinking that it would be great if players could progress and overcome the threat of starvation by week three or four in game. Maybe a bit longer but definitely long before day 300. It’s just that now there is no threat from Day 1 even and this is billed as a survival game. There was a much higher threat in 17.0 so that shows that balance truly can account for some but balance won’t give us the tech progression pathway that a food spoilage system would.

ahhhh… 17.0.. otherwise known as the Alpha that made noobs cry to the devs -- and the devs catered to them.

For spear throw, perhaps make it high damage and automatically retrieves into your inventory after 5 seconds. That leaves you weaponless for 5 seconds so it should be used selectively

I'd go with the same mechanics as arrows but with far less chance of breaking, it's not hard to pull arrows out a zombie's head and a spear should be significantly easier to grab.

ahhhh… 17.0.. otherwise known as the Alpha that made noobs cry to the devs -- and the devs catered to them.

I wouldn't be so cocky if I were you. I've seen experienced players with thousands of hours of play cursing about the 17.0. Especially about the stamina system.

What happens when you clear miss a spear throw?

My hope: it should be 100% recoverable, but each throw does damage to the durability. Throw while it's almost worn out and it should break.

That way you really need to keep an eye on durability, and it would be cool to pick it up and fight nearby zombies with the same spear in close quarters.

What happens when you clear miss a spear throw?

Retrieve from zombie aka arrows or auto retrieve after 5 seconds. Whichever comes first

Auto-retrieve would be a bit too gamey I think. Just pull the spear out of the wall or tree behind the zombie because, of course, you're always aware what may in danger behind the target in the event of a missed shot :-)

I wouldn't be so cocky if I were you. I've seen experienced players with thousands of hours of play cursing about the 17.0. Especially about the stamina system.

17.0 was OUTSTANDING. It made the game worth playing again between level gates and the struggle for food/water/stamina. The game also lasted much longer. But alas they decided to "fix" it. Hopefully we can return to what made A17 great at some point.

That's why I don't understand why there is so much picking on the farmers. Farmers invest points, time and effort in building a garden and should be rewarded with a reliable source of food and not be punished constantly because someone thinks that starving would be quite fun.

It's amazing how people when used to having infinite resources consider anything else as "punishment". And how a lot of people complain about the game being a "zombie grind", after wanting any other elements to become obsolete for that alluring instantaneous convenience. Because that's what farming (and the absence of spoilage in general) does to hunger.

Starvation should be a stumbling block at the beginning and one should be able to overcome it and then turn to more important things. It makes no sense to starve as much on day 300 as on day 1.

If by "overcoming", you mean a large part of the game like hunger, along with every kind of food-related loot and activity, becoming completely irrelevant after the first few hours in the game, you have a very wrong impression of what "overcoming" is. Virtually having creative mode when it comes to food, is not what a rewarding progression looks like.

No most of us work virtual, but the core group in the Dallas area keeps growing.

If I was smart and kept up with my Unity projects I totally coulda been on the Dallas team (I was born and raised in Granbury) but, nooooo, I had to be lazy lmao.

- - - Updated - - -

17.0 was OUTSTANDING. It made the game worth playing again between level gates and the struggle for food/water/stamina. The game also lasted much longer. But alas they decided to "fix" it. Hopefully we can return to what made A17 great at some point.

You are one of the few who had no problem with Level gating and stamina "Problems". I never saw anything wrong with them either to be honest. I do understand the need to cater to a larger audience though. This isn't the Dark Souls of its own genre, oh wait, it totally is. The game is made to punish you for making mistakes and forcing you to learn.

My hope: it should be 100% recoverable, but each throw does damage to the durability. Throw while it's almost worn out and it should break.

That way you really need to keep an eye on durability, and it would be cool to pick it up and fight nearby zombies with the same spear in close quarters.

Spears should be 100% recoverable (apart from taking damage like other weapons when used)

They differ from the arrow that they dont auto-reload, but the player looses his weapon when thrown.

I hope they also have a normal melee-stab attack?

Historically spears where better battlefield weapons than swords. The goto weapon for lots of ancient armies, with sworts being just side-arms.

(sworts are more convenient to carry though)

Good Morning

I would like to make a suggestion to the developers, the game A 17.3 is very good in almost everything, for me the only thing that is missing is to remove the elaboration of weapons is very boring, loses the emotion of going to look in the Pois

In conclusion, it would be excellent if the manufacture of weapons were removed (except for homemade weapons)

please return the arms and parts of weapons was more fun

If you add Lanzas please add the throwing axes too

Keep up the excellent work guys

I wouldn't be so cocky if I were you. I've seen experienced players with thousands of hours of play (but still suck and/or like everything handed to them on a silver platter without any effort) cursing about the 17.0. Especially about the stamina system.

fixed

It's amazing how people when used to having infinite resources consider anything else as "punishment". And how a lot of people complain about the game being a "zombie grind", after wanting any other elements to become obsolete for that alluring instantaneous convenience. Because that's what farming (and the absence of spoilage in general) does to hunger.

I've often heard from players that they don't farm at all because they have no problems getting meat and eggs and only feed on bacon and eggs. So how is it that farming is responsible that there is an oversupply of food in the game?

If farming is targeted but hunting is completely ignored then restrictions in farming are a punishment. I have a box full of meat and I'm not even actively hunting. And every 3 days a box comes sailing from the sky with lots of cans. As you yourself have already noticed, the probability of getting food poisoning is very low.

If by "overcoming", you mean a large part of the game like hunger, along with every kind of food-related loot and activity, becoming completely irrelevant after the first few hours in the game, you have a very wrong impression of what "overcoming" is. Virtually having creative mode when it comes to food, is not what a rewarding progression looks like.

I think you're confusing 7 Days to die with another game. Hunger has never been relevant longer than 2 days. The main part has always been the horde that shows up every 7 days.

I think its coming to A18, we need block tags.

Block tags would be great! With such tags, would it be possible to make blocks with effects, like radiation, that targets players but not Zombies?

It might be interesting to see blocks return damage to players when they attack unarmed. No punching down buildings and trees.

With a few modlets you can undo almost everything that was changed after 17.0. All you have to do is learn XMLpath and you can create your own modlets.

I think you're confusing 7 Days to die with another game. Hunger has never been relevant longer than 2 days. The main part has always been the horde that shows up every 7 days.

So if hunger is not supposed to be relevant why have it. Seems to me that sounds like an unbalanced mechanic that will be addressed at some point. And this isn't just a tower defense game it's a Survival, Horde, Crafting Game all those elements SHOULD be relevant

- - - Updated - - -

With a few modlets you can undo almost everything that was changed after 17.0. All you have to do is learn XMLpath and you can create your own modlets.

Lmao that's funny I'm quite well aware how to mod this game. I think the point is being missed Oh well

Archived