Alpha 18 Dev Diary!!

madmole

Alpha 18 Dev Diary!!  

3 members have voted

1. 1. Alpha 18 Dev Diary!!

• A18 Stable is Out!
    • :)

Yes pls^^

Heck you just start messing with turning on and off abilities..

example:

First week: zombies are all stupid. Can't jump, can't climb ladders. can't dig (Ability set "0").

Second week: 75% are still stupid. but 25% of them are different, they can climb ladders now (Ability set "1").

3rd week: 50% are stupid. 25% can climb ladders. 25% can climb and jump (Ability set "2").

4th week: 25% are stupid. 25%% can climb ladders. 25% can climb and jump. 25% can climb, jump, dig (Ability set "3").

Survived the first month? Then start adding the specials to the mix.

turn on the screamers starting the 5th week.

6th week: Add in the spiders types.

Importantly, what Madmole addresses with his desire to bring in more special zombies is the opportunity for a player to learn how to adapt by observing new zombie types.

What you're suggesting, though a solid system, needs another system in place to provide feedback to players so they know a change has occurred. The most common way to communicate new enemy behavior to the player is through visuals. Madmole's idea includes visuals as a cue for players so they know a change has occurred that they must react to in order to successfully continue the goal of survival.

If regular zombies changed as time went on, many players would experience frustration and begin to disengage from the gameplay as they would feel that the change was not communicated fairly to them. Subverting player expectations without providing an indication that something is changing first is usually not desirable in design.

Wanted to give a shout out to the Dev team to say you're doing an amazing job. I can't get enough of this game and love the features and direction you've taken it. All of your hard work is appreciated beyond words. Can't wait for what's coming!

Thank you!

Don't tempt me with a good time.

I did it already. I came up with an idea for vulture POIs that spawn in wilderness where it could be a few corpses, crash site, junk pile, some bushes, etc. THe point is nests would be here but the vultures would be too. Then you can slowly starve to death on nests in the wild, but if you want more eggs you need to fight for them. Risk and reward.

So, I'm wondering how the specializations are going to work. At what tier in each main category do you unlock the unique weapon?

For example, I want to specialize in Int because I want the Junk turret, does it unlock at tier 3,4,5?

I'm just wondering if its only tier 1, wont we be able to unlock all the specialized weapons?

I'm thinking 4 or 5 to get rank 1.

I have to agree with you on this, i cannot believe the amount of posts going on about food. I want more excitement in the game, something to motivate me to want to keep coming back like the old days of playing

Sorry, psychopharmaka to make you forget your past are not part of the game loop. The old days of playing without knowing every nook of the game are definitely over (for you, me and almost everyone else in this forum)

PS: We are talking about resource bundles now. Is that ok for you? Not too boring?

:cocksure:

I did it already. I came up with an idea for vulture POIs that spawn in wilderness where it could be a few corpses, crash site, junk pile, some bushes, etc. THe point is nests would be here but the vultures would be too. Then you can slowly starve to death on nests in the wild, but if you want more eggs you need to fight for them. Risk and reward.

How about taking nests off of the ground entirely (or mostly?) and putting them on rooftops? With vultures, of course. It would have the added benefit of making it less appealing to bypass the dungeon POIs by climbing to the roof and cutting through to the loot room.

Madmole, in your staff's opinion, what is the biggest contributing factor to how difficult a zombie or group of zombies is?

I don't know my staffs opinion but to me its probably health. But in reality its a combination of factors, like movement speed, attack speed, stun and damage resistance, the animation (some zombies duck their head and are harder to hit), how much damage they do, how easy they stun or cause bleed, etc.

Sounds great. Will it also be possible to use it on raw iron ? That would be awesome to carry 6000 raw iron in one slot instead of 1200.

you can carry 5 bundles of raw iron, so whatever 1200x5 is in one slot.

Ever thought of adding birds to the game at a later date? It would make sense with restocking nests and whatnot.

Importantly, what Madmole addresses with his desire to bring in more special zombies is the opportunity for a player to learn how to adapt by observing new zombie types.

What you're suggesting, though a solid system, needs another system in place to provide feedback to players so they know a change has occurred. The most common way to communicate new enemy behavior to the player is through visuals. Madmole's idea includes visuals as a cue for players so they know a change has occurred that they must react to in order to successfully continue the goal of survival.

If regular zombies changed as time went on, many players would experience frustration and begin to disengage from the gameplay as they would feel that the change was not communicated fairly to them. Subverting player expectations without providing an indication that something is changing first is usually not desirable in design.

Yes it would have to be new zombies have special abilities, like spiders, fat cops, screamers, the new demolisher, etc.

How about taking nests off of the ground entirely (or mostly?) and putting them on rooftops? With vultures, of course. It would have the added benefit of making it less appealing to bypass the dungeon POIs by climbing to the roof and cutting through to the loot room.

Rooftops are already loaded with vulture sleepers and nests.

Rooftops are already loaded with vulture sleepers and nests.

For A18? In A17 there are a couple of POIs that I know I encounter vultures on... three that I can think of off the top of my head, but my general impression is that most roofs are vulture-free.

In my experience roofs tend to be among the safest places in the game.

Yes it would have to be new zombies have special abilities, like spiders, fat cops, screamers, the new demolisher, etc.

Wait did we just get a reveal on what the new special zombie will be? A demolisher? Or did I miss the memo...

Sorry, psychopharmaka to make you forget your past are not part of the game loop. The old days of playing without knowing every nook of the game are definitely over (for you, me and almost everyone else in this forum)

PS: We are talking about resource bundles now. Is that ok for you? Not too boring?

:cocksure:

No still boring, the game changes very little to what stack bundles are, if it was to stay the same or change i could not care less because wont stop or change my way of playing just like food wont :smile-new:

dont forget Murhy's Law!

the newbie (the one who never played the game) will need feathers for starter quest and yes i have had some fresh games where i couldnt find a damn nest in the starter area. :) (me and Murphy go way back)

but... how about a rotten egg that cant be eaten?

Would like to see the same idea... but with snakes.

Archived