Alpha 18 Dev Diary!!

madmole

Alpha 18 Dev Diary!!  

3 members have voted

1. 1. Alpha 18 Dev Diary!!

• A18 Stable is Out!
    • :)

I have two friends who show them the game and were so delighted that they bought it they played from the A14 and they fell in love with this game to date, but the only thing they do not forgive me is that the game does not have an AR-15 or the M16 ( or both weapons) being a very used weapon in the USA and as it can not be absent in a game of Zombies, @Madmole we hope to see the AR-15 or the M16 in the A18? it's the strawberry that the cake is missing

Yes we have something like that drawn up.

Madmole, that leads my curiosity to the next question: ؟There is different tiers of the rocket launcher?

Maybe something like:

Tier 1: Very primitive, A big pipe (Like a hand-cannon, with a very low reloading time, shoots home made cannonballs with gunpowder inside.

Another idea for Tier 1: A 3 pipe contraption, that shoots 3 mini-cannonballs, also low reloading time. Ammo = 5 rocks + 3 gunpowder per cannonball (easy to craft early game).

Tier 2: Maybe the grenade launcher, from II World War era.

TIer 3: Good old rocket launcher.

Yes. Pipe bomb, grenade, rocket launcher. At least for now. We might make new buckets later.

You know, I actually like the idea to have all weapons of the same class to have the same damage.

Higher classes should rather have more reliability (miss fire), resistance (until repaired) and maybe better aim.

That's a hard no. It needs to feel rewarding when you upgrade and not meh.

Same class I mean the same weapons of different tiers.

Having the same damage allows lower tier weapons to still have a functional purpose and raw power later in the game. They just dont have all the bonusses as the higher quality ones. But the are not totally obsolete.

Again no. You can't have end game on day 1, sorry. Players chase better weapons to out grow the early game stuff and be competitive with the later game stuff. It needs to feel rewarding and challenging in stages. A cycle of you are weak or barely adequate, to stomping those that challenged you early on, then we introduce new bad guys who challenge you again, but you grow and overcome them, rinse and repeat.

I have two friends who show them the game and were so delighted that they bought it they played from the A14 and they fell in love with this game to date, but the only thing they do not forgive me is that the game does not have an AR-15 or the M16 ( or both weapons) being a very used weapon in the USA and as it can not be absent in a game of Zombies, @Madmole we hope to see the AR-15 or the M16 in the A18? it's the strawberry that the cake is missing

To be honest, i also feel that there is not enough M16 some old modification, with poor reliability, but high rate of fire and accuracy. Modern M4 and AR15, probably would not be suitable for the atmosphere of the game.

Why not implement weapon misfires in the game?

Again no. You can't have end game on day 1, sorry. Players chase better weapons to out grow the early game stuff and be competitive with the later game stuff. It needs to feel rewarding and challenging in stages. A cycle of you are weak or barely adequate, to stomping those that challenged you early on, then we introduce new bad guys who challenge you again, but you grow and overcome them, rinse and repeat.

Gazz seemed to have liked that idea, so do I.

New raw damage should come from a new weapon class. Only lootable at later game-stages.

I just dont like to have a chest full of weapons that have outlived any purpose apart from scrapping or selling them.

Gazz seemed to have liked that idea, so do I.

New raw damage should come from a new weapon class. Only lootable at later game-stages.

I just dont like to have a chest full of weapons that have outlived any purpose apart from scrapping or selling them.

So sell them. That is the nature of upgrading stuff. When you buy a new car do you keep your old one? With the new design every part you can scrap out of them will be important IMO. Quality and Tier both improve damage now.

So sell them. That is the nature of upgrading stuff. When you buy a new car do you keep your old one? With the new design every part you can scrap out of them will be important IMO. Quality and Tier both improve damage now.

Well, the old car would go as fast in top speed as the new one (unless you happen to drive on the German Autobahn), its just likely to be a more convenient and more luxury car. Selling the old and purchasing a new one should be driven by wealth (looting success and player economy), not by just finding a new model. The old car can still do most of the things you want. Its more about the bonuses like leather seats, and better acceleration and reliability.

Well, the old car would go as fast in top speed as the new one (unless you happen to drive on the German Autobahn), its just likely to be a more convenient and more luxury car. Selling the old and purchasing a new one should be driven by wealth (looting success and player economy), not by just finding a new model. The old car can still do most of the things you want. Its more about the bonuses like leather seats, and better acceleration and reliability.

A19 will have random stat ranges with some overlap above and below their quality and tier, so finding the perfect weapon will be more engaging.

Quality and Tier both improve damage now.

Nice

- - - Updated - - -

A19 will have random stat ranges with some overlap above and below their quality and tier, so finding the perfect weapon will be more engaging.

Hallelujah. This is what I've always wanted.

I like the sound of this. My current issue in A17 is once you get level 25 or so you can already make tier 5 items or so. Which really kills the need to loot anymore. But with random stat ranges, that'll be intersting, even moreso if craft recipies produce a static version that has stats on the low end for its quality/tier, it'll work, but you'll need to go out to loot a better one.

Joel, video, please, me starve, i want to see, video. Me die

I need a video at this point too lol. But if no videos means more time spent on development, then let 'em have at it. I do hope they reach their goal of mid-June to early July.

Does it make me a bastard that we are on A17 and MM mentions A19 and I secretly am hoping the number goes higher (A20, A21,...)

I dream of it going on improving forever. :)

Not ideal for TFP's but makes me insides warm it does.

There are already plans for A19 that means that maybe A18 is 90% and only missing adjustments? to release the experimental? :whoo:

Does it make me a bastard that we are on A17 and MM mentions A19 and I secretly am hoping the number goes higher (A20, A21,...)

My question is. If A17 was 75 percent of a sequel -- How much percent of a sequel is A18?

Love you MM. :)

I like the sound of this. My current issue in A17 is once you get level 25 or so you can already make tier 5 items or so. Which really kills the need to loot anymore. But with random stat ranges, that'll be intersting, even moreso if craft recipies produce a static version that has stats on the low end for its quality/tier, it'll work, but you'll need to go out to loot a better one.

Breaking news: We might add to 18. Yeah crafting though will be middle of the road so there is no meta game of spam crafting and no possible way to craft the best items, ever. Looted items will have stats all over the place making each weapon find intersting. Maybe even a brown will have more damage than a bad roll on a pink, but the averages will likely be better.

I need a video at this point too lol. But if no videos means more time spent on development, then let 'em have at it. I do hope they reach their goal of mid-June to early July.

I usually crank out videos when I don't have 80 tasks in my queue. At this point I'm potentially a big risk factor on the build yet, so once I feel better about my queue I can do some. I'll try to get something anyway, just because there is a lot to cover and a ton of videos at the end don't help much.

It can still improve post gold.

There are already plans for A19 that means that maybe A18 is 90% and only missing adjustments? to release the experimental? :whoo:

Not any time soon sorry. It means some features that come up that are harder to add get pushed to A19. Easy stuff can still be added. We're nowhere near content lock yet.

My question is. If A17 was 75 percent of a sequel -- How much percent of a sequel is A18?

Love you MM. :)

18 was supposed to be perk rebalance and some books. But its turned into a mega build already, our team is just smashing it. The focus of 18 though is to fix all the shortcomings of 17, and I feel very warm and fuzzy that we will achieve that goal. We've touched on all the hot topics I think and it will be well received.

This sounds crazy but good is an apocalypse, @madmole I speak of alchemy, well this is my idea

* Add alchemy table to manufacture nitric acid, fertilizer, acid, energy drinks and explosive liquid

* Add mineral salt (which can be found under rivers and lagoons)

* Join Salt + Nitric acid = Nitrate (oh yeah)

* Add other crazy recipes

Summing up an alchemy table to prepare nitrate and be all happy

Archived