If you don't get hungry, you'll never starve!

Arkheias

So I decided to do a bit of testing to see how quickly the food and water meters deplete if you aren't engaging in any physical activities, and they don't.

Until the bloodmoon happens, you can survive indefinitely by just standing still away from any zombies.

If you have a good bloodmoon base design, you can survive them too by just standing still.

Food is fine the way it is right now, it is not unrealistic.

https://www.sciencealert.com/the-true-story-of-a-man-who-survived-without-any-food-for-382-days

If you chose to 'Never move' you can last a long long time. Thing is...most people dont have the mentality to do nothing for such a long time.

Your brain burns 300-400 calories per day and generally doesn't have much variance. Your muscles and fat have caloric upkeep as well, though that varies quite a bit person to person. The old food system was a lot closer to reality than this system. I think adding a constant food/water consumption would be a good thing alongside slightly decreasing expenditure via activity.

Your brain burns 300-400 calories per day and generally doesn't have much variance. Your muscles and fat have caloric upkeep as well, though that varies quite a bit person to person. The old food system was a lot closer to reality than this system. I think adding a constant food/water consumption would be a good thing alongside slightly decreasing expenditure via activity.

+infinite

Woah....people at this very moment are ranting about how difficult it is to manage hunger and stamina and you want it to deplete for no activity as well? Doing this would translate basically to needing to eat more often and I doubt very many people are wanting to eat more often. I know I'm fine with how often we need to eat right now. Interesting idea, though, for those who might go AFK for a long time and come back starving instead of the same.

Woah....people at this very moment are ranting about how difficult it is to manage hunger and stamina and you want it to deplete for no activity as well? Doing this would translate basically to needing to eat more often and I doubt very many people are wanting to eat more often. I know I'm fine with how often we need to eat right now. Interesting idea, though, for those who might go AFK for a long time and come back starving instead of the same.

People are also ranting about stamina in this alpha. I swear they are remembering an entirely different game because managing stamina certainly wasn't this easy in either A15 or A16.

Fact of the matter is, food is easy in this alpha too. Air drops are mostly food. Birds nest have never been a higher priority for looting and eggs combine with meat to make the most efficient food item in the game currently (I expect nerfs tbh). It's trivial to get vegetable stew going and at that point you never have to think about food again. Even more, there's no ingredient collision between veggie stew and bacon & eggs. Some people really just need to git gud.

I agree that food isn’t hard but I think I’d rather see food spoilage than having a mechanic that’s only result is in us having to eat more often.

Food spoilage would be neat. I certainly didn't enjoy having 2000 meat laying around forever after "Bone Quest 2018." I don't necessarily think we should eat more. I just think some of the active burn should be transitioned to passive burn and have slow metabolism affect that and not the active burn (which is mitigated by Sexy Trex and Cardio).

What I'd rather see is food ingredients taking more effort to aquire or more of them used to make food.

I'm pretty sure the whole point of not needing to eat while not moving is so that you can go AFK for however long you need while in a safe area and not have to worry about starving to death. Don't try to take that away from us. Besides, the whole hunger system has always just been annoying to me. If anything, I wish there was hunger settings to choose from so we could choose how much of a gluttony we want to be.

What is the average expected food/water consumption per day per player? I think the most realistic setting would be to take half of those expected values and to just set them to occur naturally as time passes. Then halve the food/water consumption from all other activities. It should average out to the same thing, but reduce the extremes.

It would tone down the difficulty of the early game where everyone is running everywhere and having to use up stamina for everything they do, and it would make the late game more difficult, since you would still need to eat some even if you are driving everywhere and using guns or mechanized tools to do all of your work.

Gameplay-wise, no hunger depletion for no activity is good design.

Many people play this game on MP, with no ability to pause. If i need to step away to take care of something, i'm already risking my character...even if i stealth in a corner...coming back after tending to a problem IRL to a hunger value down 40% would be extremely annoying...after all, I'm already losing the time and risking my character.

With how long this game takes to load into and out of a map (and god forbid you try to log in with zombies around and the game runs with you existing in the game, but still on a loading screen so you have no input), logging out every time I have to step away for more than 2 minutes would be pretty ridiculously frustrating.

Keep food and water stagnant while we aren't moving. Realism can GTFO in that regard (after all, having to eat 40 baked potatoes in 1 day while mining is already insane) and take a backseat to gameplay convenience here.

Gameplay-wise, no hunger depletion for no activity is good design.

Many people play this game on MP, with no ability to pause. If i need to step away to take care of something, i'm already risking my character...even if i stealth in a corner...coming back after tending to a problem IRL to a hunger value down 40% would be extremely annoying...after all, I'm already losing the time and risking my character.

With how long this game takes to load into and out of a map (and god forbid you try to log in with zombies around and the game runs with you existing in the game, but still on a loading screen so you have no input), logging out every time I have to step away for more than 2 minutes would be pretty ridiculously frustrating.

Keep food and water stagnant while we aren't moving. Realism can GTFO in that regard (after all, having to eat 40 baked potatoes in 1 day while mining is already insane) and take a backseat to gameplay convenience here.

Maybe it could be implemented in some sort of optional manner? Maybe something that you could choose in an individual game's settings menu perhaps? All of those downsides seem like they would apply to multiplayer only.

Are they? Food is completely irrelevant after the first few days, even if you are doing entire days mining, so yes we need to burn more calories even when doing nothing (OR burn a lot more when doing something, whatever). Since A17 launched (except for one specific build where they went too far with the hunger) I have 1000+ meat in my chest without even trying.

Are they? Food is completely irrelevant after the first few days, even if you are doing entire days mining, so yes we need to burn more calories even when doing nothing (OR burn a lot more when doing something, whatever). Since A17 launched (except for one specific build where they went too far with the hunger) I have 1000+ meat in my chest without even trying.

That's why we need in the options a loot slider that will impact loot AND harvesting (animals, cars, and other items). So everybody will be happy with a slider between 25 and 200%.

Roland, I assume this is the thread you were talking about? If so, I don't think it is the opposite of what I was suggesting in my thread at all.

I would have no problem if this were implemented so long as the drainage is very slow. I always assumed that this was how it was anyway. I'm quite surprised to find out that hunger only depletes if your character moves.

I agree that food isn’t hard but I think I’d rather see food spoilage than having a mechanic that’s only result is in us having to eat more often.

First of all food is no longer an issue because players are playing the game smart and working hard to get to that point. What's the goal here? Work hard, play smart and still be starving on day 15? Nope, that sounds awful.

With that being said I think spoilage could be a cool idea. Also I would love to see seasons. Summer hot, food grows. Winter cold, no food growth. I like the idea of maintaining a farm through the summer and stockpiling for winter.

Also I would love to see seasons. Summer hot, food grows. Winter cold, no food growth. I like the idea of maintaining a farm through the summer and stockpiling for winter.

Let me crash that idea of yours right here and now. If this ever happens it will work for like 1 build max. After that they will introduce greenhouses with heating and whatever and it will all be back to farm whenever and wherever you want. Zero impact overall.

Let me crash that idea of yours right here and now. If this ever happens it will work for like 1 build max. After that they will introduce greenhouses with heating and whatever and it will all be back to farm whenever and wherever you want. Zero impact overall.

Why do you say this? They dont have to add in those things. But even of they did maintaining a greenhouse would still be more work than you have now. Heat, electricity, more work put into the building. Plus they could make the glass costs a lot.

Either way this would still be more work than it takes now to run a farm.

Archived