If you don't get hungry, you'll never starve!

Arkheias

Woah....people at this very moment are ranting about how difficult it is to manage hunger and stamina and you want it to deplete for no activity as well? Doing this would translate basically to needing to eat more often and I doubt very many people are wanting to eat more often. I know I'm fine with how often we need to eat right now. Interesting idea, though, for those who might go AFK for a long time and come back starving instead of the same.

I think they need to git gud or something, I've not once had food or water issues in 7 days to die and I been around since alpha 9 or so. I honestly don't get how people have any problems, especally with a17 with all the food sources now. I mean you got animals, animal fat, snow berries etc, not to mention the vending machines bascally being a 5 star resturaunt in the zombie apoc. Water is bascally solved the second you get a few cans, or if you find a cooking pot. I am far from the greatest player of this game, but even on my first day playing the game for the first time I never had food or water issues. I went into it blind as well.

The only way I could see someone having food and water issues is if they just don't explore and expect on day 1 to be able to stay in 1 small area and be fine.

Hello forums! I'm late for the party, needed to wait a bit to get activated, but since I pre-wrote this, I might as well post it. Most of it has been said already, but some reps shouldn't hurt within a thread ... :)

I would advocate adding *some* way to become hungry in the mid/late game, the proposed passive drain being an easy and a rather intuitive option. My reasoning is as follows:

A Day 1 character spends all the stamina he can regenerate, whether it is jogging to the quest trader, gathering wood / stone / clay for a base or fighting to loot POIs or level up. He needs to be able to survive, thus scavenged / hunted food will need to be enough - and in the current implementation, Day 1, it absolutely will. I can only see the builder having to specifically hunt for food. The scavenger will find cans and the jogger will find animals. Assuming no terrible RNG luck.

The rest of the game is pretty much aimed at reducing all stamina usage, and possibly metabolic rate; motorized vehicles and mining, gunpowder based damage and traps. Even putting on armor reduces the speed you *can* regenerate stamina and get hungry. While also over time improving loot gains and introducing traded foods + farming. I just don't see a way to balance a near-zero stamina use to require eating "even regularly" without starving the Day 1 character right off the bat.

Thus something unrelated to the current mechanisms of stamina use needs to be introduced. Of course you could just increase the stamina regen by two per second and add a passive stamina use of 2 per second. But it seems there is only one stamina system for passive changes, "StaminaChangeOT", so it possibly wouldn't be trivial. Arguably ranged fighting consumes stamina but end game that's only true for rifles, automatic weapons generate sta from hits, pistols and shotguns are hip fired by design and ... explosives.. no idea as they seem mostly unusable.

For Melee, the video linked here drives the point home pretty well imo.

https://7daystodie.com/forums/showthread.php?106000-Is-Melee-Dead-I-think-so&p=932343&viewfull=1#post932343

https://youtu.be/cOJIhyXb-N8

It's a horde night spent sprinting and right clicking zombie forefaces with a blood hamm- sorry, sledgehammer.

4:30 shows the last "99% plate icon", which is the the previous "hunger buffer update" mechanism. The buffer is over, we're at actual 200 max stamina

16:48 at 183 max stamina =>

eating the first and only piece of food during the night

That's 17 max stamina spent over 12 minutes, or 1.5 per minute, while engaged in the most tiring excercise the end game has to offer. And looking at 0:20, Fortitude tree shows 0/5 Slow Metabolism, so he could still halve that.

So essentially, mining with motorized tools, travelling on wheels and possibly clearing POIs with hip fire weapons, that's the only stamina you'll use in a week. About 20 point for a horde night, while doing it the nuttiest way possible.

When halved by Slow Metabolism, that would be 10 points of stamina spent - with 17.1 having that fifty point buffer, you would eat once every five weeks. Make it once a week to be generous. Probably, in practice, mostly to heal.

TL;DR I just don't see a way to have hunger remain a thing while eliminating the need for stamina regeneration in the end game.

While I mean no disrespect to TFP or Gazz, if I go AFK I should still lose food/water normally.

As such I've added a modlet to change the game behavior. I'm working on another mod that is focused on eating and drinking, but at level 150+ you no longer need to eat or drink basically ever. I want to encourage people to use this game feature and not ignore it.

So you can now Go Hungry more often and enjoy those foods and drinks you spent time making!

It's not. And it being cool/uncool has nothing to do with it.

It has gameplay value as many other, realistic or not, game elements that are "kind of a pain", like hunger, stamina, durability, diseases, loot timers, SI, etc (99% of the game), will complement electricity and will act as a much-needed resource sink.

Yeah I agree with this.

Spoilage makes constantly bringing in food a thing.... and that's good.

So long as there's some early game stuff that isn't too challenging that it's no fun.

Also, a mechanic like eating the same thing gives diminishing returns is important.

So early game you can indeed get food that doesn't spoil but it's not great.

Later on you get more effective food but it spoils... so you need refrigeration.

That's fun.

I don't ever want to see realism just for the sake of realism.

I don't think anyone wants to see peeing or changing a tampon added because it's realism.

There are definitely some limits.

Food spoilage, however, is a good step.

[so long as TFP don't make it stupid and everything spoils in 5 seconds.]

How about this instead

Add ability to make a colony

-> Have to feed colony -> Make farm -> Feed colony -> Profit

Seems like the logical way to make farming relevant in end game... IMO

The difference is vast.

Food spoilance = annoying and doesn't add any fun

Adding colony = now you have a REWARD for building a farm because it helps you grow your empire!

Right now, as many have basically alluded to, there is no point to making a farm unless perhaps you play on rare loot (25%) or just enjoy making a farm. I think my colony idea will solve that

Farming isn’t relevant because there is little reward for it right now. That’s exactly what TFP should not be focused on but modders should.

They are far to many fundamental issues that 7 days needs to focus on. Colonies are not one of them. Not until progression is done, rwg is fixed, and the game has actually shipped.

If the pimps prioritize this idea, and hope to GOD they do not, that is on them. But this has nothing to do with the core of the game. At all.

You don’t need a spoilage system. You just need to set stack sizes on everything to 1. Then it’s either be that annoying person with 1000 boxes or eat what you make.

Either way having canned or dried food circumvents this. From a role play perspective food spoilage is just annoying at best. From a casual perspective is plain broken.

This is a mod not core feature.

As maintainer of a farming mod I will state that, I will never implement a food spoilage system. If a system like this is placed in the game and made required I will mod it out. It has no place but micromanaging something that should he micromanaged in other aspects such as actually making the thing to start with.

Meat that is harvested fresh from an animal does not spoil the way you think it should. ♥♥♥♥ you buy at Walmart ain’t fresh and it isn’t sanitary. Further more even slightly tainted meat is fine if cooked properly. You do know there is such a thing as aged meat? That’s raw? For 28 days or more??

Seriously there are other problems than food spoilage. The fact that I can stand around for 5 in game days and not die from dehydration is actually a broken reality. Not spoiled ♥♥♥♥ing meat.

I would agree to food spoilage only if a Powered refrigerator WHEN POWERED, freezes the spoilage timer.

So, no spoilage.

You don’t need a spoilage system. You just need to set stack sizes on everything to 1. Then it’s either be that annoying person with 1000 boxes or eat what you make.

Excellent idea. Love it.

As maintainer of a farming mod I will state that, I will never implement a food spoilage system. If a system like this is placed in the game and made required I will mod it out. It has no place but micromanaging something that should he micromanaged in other aspects such as actually making the thing to start with.

Meat that is harvested fresh from an animal does not spoil the way you think it should. ♥♥♥♥ you buy at Walmart ain’t fresh and it isn’t sanitary. Further more even slightly tainted meat is fine if cooked properly. You do know there is such a thing as aged meat? That’s raw? For 28 days or more??

Seriously there are other problems than food spoilage. The fact that I can stand around for 5 in game days and not die from dehydration is actually a broken reality. Not spoiled ♥♥♥♥ing meat.

Nope. I think adding food spoilage could be the next step for whenever they add new farming/food/animals features. Have you played Starvation mod? Starvation mod has food spoilage, crop spoilage (due to insects) and even rodents. That mod is hella fun! Adding decaying mechanics made the game more challenging.

Aged meat is different from spoiled meat. In your (bad) example you left out an important aspect - there's a process to aging meat. It is not as simple as leaving the meat out on the counter and letting it sit there.

Setting stack sizes on everything to 1? Are you kidding me? That is the dumbest idea I've ever heard for 7D2D. It is up there with someone suggesting giving progressive XP spread across several days instead of giving that experience immediately when you kill a zombie.

Yeah I agree that they should fix more important bugs first before doing anything else. However I do think adding a decaying feature to foods is a good idea. Wouldn't hurt to add more animals and food recipes either :).

I think it's entirely possible to have both a system for spoiling meat and a system for ageing it. I think I could even tolerate a spoilage system if we also got a system for making and storing jerky so that it wouldn't spoil anyway. I think it could just add some urgency to actually do something with raw foods instead of just dumping them all in a chest and forgetting about them until you have enough eggs to turn all of your raw meat into bacon and eggs.

Also, while I have heard that some partially tainted meats can be cooked such that they become safe to eat, I have also heard that there are some meats like poultry and ground beef that can never be made safe to eat again once they have started spoiling.

how about if you don't use the food (cans below) within a certain time they change. become dried variants. corn kernels --->popcorn. meat --> jerky. whatever, you get the idea.

lessen the benefits perhaps as they transition with age.

we all know fresh is best. [properly aged, properly cooked meat is THE best, i know]

i don't mind stack size 1 can = 1 spot. cans have mass and volume.

(different topic but a 4x4 should be able to tow a trailer that can carry many many cans...)

deliberately drying foods (dehydrator workstation) could improve their nutritional value...?

and stored cans food poisoning % increases over time...?

Archived