Food poisoning chance feels so backwards...

Limdood

Currently, food poisoning chance on ANY cooked food is 0%

Canned food sits at 5-15%

Fresh produce sits at 0-20%, with, ironically, blueberries being the 0% (ironic because berries are generally considered risky to eat..)

The fresh food feels right on...unwashed, fresh off the plant or questionably old "fresh" plants in someone's cabinet probably should feel risky...

But the canned food vs. cooked food chances just confuses me.

In almost every zombie apocalypse trope, as well as doomsday preppers and just common sense in real life, canned food is the SAFEST food you can eat. You are more assured that the can you open is properly prepared and uncontaminated than almost any other source of food.

Similarly, prepping food over a fire (especially the imprecise implications of "charred meat") with meat found from wild animals (could be disease carriers) and plants found rotting (see the corn plant fields) with their produce feels like i should be rolling the dice on my health.

I really really think the food poisoning chances should be reversed for several reasons:

1) it makes sense both realistically (i know i know...) and within the tropes of zombie apocalypse and post-nuclear wasteland.

2) it gives significantly greater value to foraging for items vs. early game self-reliance and simultaneously makes air drops more appealing.

3) it gives greater value and weight to the "master chef" perk, allowing higher levels to be altered to both unlock safer recipes AND reduce the food poisoning chance of older recipes. (living off the land could possibly be incorporated into fresh produce chances too, to add value to higher levels of the perk)

This reversal of that aspect of the game's design would re-introduce the value of foraging for early food, while still maintaining the abundance of cooked meat from early animals. Raising the cooking perk would allow players to EVENTUALLY get cooked food to an abundance and consistency that canned food can't match, and match the safety of the canned food. Making early characters weigh the risk vs. reward of heavily foraging for canned food vs. the ease and safety of harvesting a field or two or a few deer and cooking up a few days worth of early cooking food. As well as allowing later game characters to use level resources to purchase "i don't have to worry about food OR food poisoning" or invest those points elsewhere and try to maintain their health with increased foraging ability due to investment of those points elsewhere.

Especially since this isn't distant future apocalypse. The game feels like the zombie apocalypse happened last week and suddenly all the highly preserved canned food has food poisoning chance. They are still air dropping this stuff in.

Even if you go by the first KS description of 34 years, food in cans, can and will go bad even when stored in the most optimal conditions. Obviously, these canned goods were not stored optimally.

You also should remember, these are not 'glass' canned goods, they are using.

The Canned goods companies, disagree with your assessment.

Even if you go by the first KS description of 34 years, food in cans, can and will go bad even when stored in the most optimal conditions. Obviously, these canned goods were not stored optimally.

Choice nr 1:

charred meat on a stick from an animal that has:

eaten diseased grass/eaten zombies

Choice nr 2:

some canned foods, prepared BEFORE the apocalypse, often stored within cupboards or even dropped by airdrops

I know what I would eat :D

Live food should have quality levels.

Charring wolfmeat should not be as good as canned food from an airdrop.

Meatstew prepared with chef 5+ should be better than a tuna can out of the open trash.

Choice nr 1:

charred meat on a stick from an animal that has:

eaten diseased grass/eaten zombies

Choice nr 2:

some canned foods, prepared BEFORE the apocalypse, often stored within cupboards or even dropped by airdrops

I know what I would eat :D

Live food should have quality levels.

Charring wolfmeat should not be as good as canned food from an airdrop.

Meatstew prepared with chef 5+ should be better than a tuna can out of the open trash.

haha, I don't disagree. I would choose the same, and try my 'luck' with the canned goods first, but still wouldn't be surprised if some of it made me sick :)

The only justification i can see for the canned food poisoning chance is that it was tainted food that caused the apocalypse...

...except it gives food poisoning, not the zombie infection...

...except there's little to no "story" in the game as is, and that would be an AWFULLY large stretch for a game with so little other "story" thrown in.

radiation poisoned animals, eating radiated plants, existing in a world where diseased zombies are roaming everywhere, cooked by a questionably skilled person on a stick over a fire for an indeterminate amount of time should not be safer than canned food in this game.

The only justification i can see for the canned food poisoning chance is that it was tainted food that caused the apocalypse...

...except it gives food poisoning, not the zombie infection...

...except there's little to no "story" in the game as is, and that would be an AWFULLY large stretch for a game with so little other "story" thrown in.

radiation poisoned animals, eating radiated plants, existing in a world where diseased zombies are roaming everywhere, cooked by a questionably skilled person on a stick over a fire for an indeterminate amount of time should not be safer than canned food in this game.

Balance is balance, but it doesn't mean canned goods should be a perfectly safe means of sustenance either. Unless they have a canning facility up and running again, and somehow using non-tainted goods to fill them.

Balance is balance, but it doesn't mean canned goods should be a perfectly safe means of sustenance either. Unless they have a canning facility up and running again, and somehow using non-tainted goods to fill them.

What balance? infinitely replenishable food being hands-down better (safer, more plentiful, more consistent, and more efficient) than the food you have to search around for? And at the cost of what? 2 skill points (1 in Living off the land, 1 in master chef)?

Balance would be the non-guaranteed, inconsistent food being the safest, and the easy, endless food supply having a risk, until significant investment was put into the latter. risk - vs. - reward is balance....all the reward with none of the risk vs. all the risk and least reward doesn't seem very balanced to me.

I read this thread and all I see is another great segway into another food spoilage thread.

Want a richer food poisoning feature?

Want food with quality levels?

Want expired canned food?

Want cooked meat that isn’t still pristine a week after cooking it?

One system in the game would handle all of that.

What balance? infinitely replenishable food being hands-down better (safer, more plentiful, more consistent, and more efficient) than the food you have to search around for? And at the cost of what? 2 skill points (1 in Living off the land, 1 in master chef)?

Balance would be the non-guaranteed, inconsistent food being the safest, and the easy, endless food supply having a risk, until significant investment was put into the latter. risk - vs. - reward is balance....all the reward with none of the risk vs. all the risk and least reward doesn't seem very balanced to me.

haha, that's what I saying with "Balance is balance", the food system needs some balance. No, not balance based on perk points, balance on food effects and what they do. Keep canned goods giving food poisoning, but change the effects.

like:

Food poisoning lvl1: gives the player a minor fullness hit from it's max potential of the food item. last 'x' amount of time.

Food poisoninglvl2: requires food poisoning lvl1 + reduces your stamina recovery. resets the buff time.

etc,.

stuff like that. No perk adjustments required.

Break down the effects into smaller ones, instead of having such a big hit initially.

- - - Updated - - -

I read this thread and all I see is another great segway into another food spoilage thread.

haha, I wouldn't mind having a spoilage system. ;)

Meh, you'd probably remove that too.

If you want to quote this thread to start or add to a food spoilage thread, be my guest, but this thread wasn't meant to be that. All I'm interested in is addressing the seemingly backwards food poisoning chances between cooked and canned foods, and the corresponding impact on the game that a swap would cause.

Yup I'm with you on this.

Can's would be great for about 2 years.

That's it.

After that you'd get all sorts of problems.

If food spoilage is added to the game there need to be a lot of changes made imo. As is right now players took huge nerfs in A17 in pretty much every area possible. Starting out can now be very difficult if you get unlucky.

I too would like a more complex food system where you tend to a farm or just more survival in general. I'm a big fan of TWD and not every episode has zombies at the core of the problem. There should be other issues to overcome but then we gotta look at the zombies, the hordes and the gameplay as a whole and make changes because if a player is expected to really fight for survival more time might be needed to be ready for a horde. I'm not talking about a "cheese base" but from best case scenario with a working AI.

I'm not against the idea but I think if food spoilage were to just be dumped in the current version without making adjustments to the rest of the game it would be nothing more than another nerf to the player.

Fun must always trump realism. A touch of realism is good for immersion but too much realism can kill the fun. Balance is tricky.

Especially since this isn't distant future apocalypse. The game feels like the zombie apocalypse happened last week and suddenly all the highly preserved canned food has food poisoning chance. They are still air dropping this stuff in.

So all the trader outposts were built in that week? To me the game feels like the event happened years ago. Hence the stripped out car hulks on the roads. They aren't just burnt, they have missing engines too.

The airdrops have never made any sense tho, I'll give you that.

Personally I feel like you are an experimental Higashi Pharmaceutical engineered human being created after Higashi created the zombies for WW2 (The plagued nurse really leads me to believe this is in the 1942 just due to the outfit and the existences of Cowboy society still in place.

But on topic, the percents don't feel right, 10% on yucca and I find myself constantly getting sick from them.

by day 2-3 I've actually had food poisoning 3 times.

Personally I feel like you are an experimental Higashi Pharmaceutical engineered human being created after Higashi created the zombies for WW2 (The plagued nurse really leads me to believe this is in the 1942 just due to the outfit and the existences of Cowboy society still in place.

But on topic, the percents don't feel right, 10% on yucca and I find myself constantly getting sick from them.

by day 2-3 I've actually had food poisoning 3 times.

With led tvs and microwave ovens?, the collapse looks like it happened around this time, fridges look a little old though.

OP says that fresh food and canned food have about the same FP rates.

food poisoning from fresh, uncooked, unwashed vegetables grown in post-nuclear, plagued areas feels completely fine (except blueberries...that one is still confusing to have a 0% FP chance....corn is 10, yucca is 10, potatoes are a whopping 20...i think mushrooms are crazy high too).

point of the thread was that canned food should be safer than cooked food.

NOT JUST FOR "REALISM" - but for gameplay as well.

- There is no risk to farming, VERY little to hunting, and VERY little to cooking. Conversely, there is significant risk in trying to loot food from POIs.

- Additionally, farming is incredibly INCREDIBLY consistent and easy to overproduce food for, while looting is quite inconsistent, with not only RNG in terms of what refrigerators, microwaves, and cabinets will have in them, but whether they can be looted at all!

- Finally, air drops now contain a huge quantity of canned food, with maybe a small amount of medicine, lab equipment, or weapons

making canned food completely safe and attributing the 5-15% food poisoning chance to cooked food - which should be able to be reduced with higher levels of the currently almost completely unused-past-rank-2 perk "master chef" - allows the game to attribute the correct risk-vs-reward values to the current food systems.

Archived