Food poisoning chance feels so backwards...

Limdood

food poisoning from fresh, uncooked, unwashed vegetables grown in post-nuclear, plagued areas feels completely fine (except blueberries...that one is still confusing to have a 0% FP chance....corn is 10, yucca is 10, potatoes are a whopping 20...i think mushrooms are crazy high too).

point of the thread was that canned food should be safer than cooked food.

NOT JUST FOR "REALISM" - but for gameplay as well.

- There is no risk to farming, VERY little to hunting, and VERY little to cooking. Conversely, there is significant risk in trying to loot food from POIs.

- Additionally, farming is incredibly INCREDIBLY consistent and easy to overproduce food for, while looting is quite inconsistent, with not only RNG in terms of what refrigerators, microwaves, and cabinets will have in them, but whether they can be looted at all!

- Finally, air drops now contain a huge quantity of canned food, with maybe a small amount of medicine, lab equipment, or weapons

making canned food completely safe and attributing the 5-15% food poisoning chance to cooked food - which should be able to be reduced with higher levels of the currently almost completely unused-past-rank-2 perk "master chef" - allows the game to attribute the correct risk-vs-reward values to the current food systems.

Usually I'm a crusader for realism, but on this topic, I'm just not feeling it. Right now, the only metric for conveying a food's "ickyness" is the food poisioning chance. That food poisoning chance is largely what determines in what order players will eat the food they have stockpiled. Right now the order that players are incentivized to eat food is

1. Cooked food

2. Canned food

3. Raw plants and eggs (not so much because of FP but because they can be cooked into more nutritious meals)

4. Sketchy foods, eg sham sandwich

5. rotten flesh

Yes theoretically it shouldn't poison me if I do it, I still would feel pretty gross If I had to eat a couple cans of lukewarm ravioli in one sitting. I think it's more realistic that players want to eat their cooked food first, and then eat canned food.

You say that "There is no risk to farming" but "there is significant risk in trying to loot food from POIs". However, finding canned food is just an externality of looting POIs. Often players will be looting POIs for other things, and the canned food is just a bonus, something to stockpile just in case fresh food runs out. I'd say that if you're desperate enough for food that you're risking your life in a dungeon just to get a few pieces of canned food, food poisoning is the least of your worries.

You seem to be implying that canned food should be balanced with regard to cooked food, as in they should both be equally viable ways to feed yourself. What's wrong with them being imbalanced though?

With led tvs and microwave ovens?, the collapse looks like it happened around this time, fridges look a little old though.

Could just be an oversight by the devs or this apocolpse has been going on since the 1940's. If you look at the state of the world it makes sense why some people would still be dressed this way as the infection reaches global population, people in other areas continued to develop better tech.

I read this thread and all I see is another great segway into another food spoilage thread.

Want a richer food poisoning feature?

Want food with quality levels?

Want expired canned food?

Want cooked meat that isn’t still pristine a week after cooking it?

One system in the game would handle all of that.

ONLY if food spoilage is done correctly and the player has tech and perks/abilities/crafting that can reduce spoilage and preserve food.

I want to be able to play the game , not be stuck tending to a farm for more than a few minutes.

Crows and scarecrows can be a thing though.

I agree with OP basic point: canned food giving you food poisoning is really lame.

The point of canning is to prevent food spoilage. You can even see those guys who pop open old soldiers rations cans from Vietnam war era eat the food and it's fine.

Now, as OP said, deal with raw meat from some game animal outside, and if you are not skilled, chances are you might get sick from bacteria from the animal guts or hide touching the meat - that should give you poisoning. And perks, for skill could give you a way to prevent it.

Also, go fish a nasty bird egg out of a robin nest or something. These are not USDA grade A large grocery store eggs. In fact, some times they are rancid, or partly formed into a bird. Yuck! Those should give you poison. Instead, my bacon and eggs from a grizzly wild boar and a disgusting pigeon egg somehow ends up like breakfast at IHOP! without poisoning...cmon.

Nah, I know these are just game mechanics and not supposed to be too realistic for the game to be fun, but OP has it right. It's backwards. Cans should never give poisoning - that is why they should be coveted and valuable in trade. Hunted meat, handled casually by unskilled hands, should give a chance of poisoning. That just makes more sense to me.

• 1 year later...

Archived