How about some skills and perks for base-building?

enragedcamel

Lots of people don't like the increased zombie damage on blocks. At the same time, The Pimps seem adamant that they want to retain that part of the game for increased challenge.

So how about this: add some skills and perks to help with base-building.

Some "shower thoughts":

Master Builder

You used to volunteer work for Habitat For Humanity before the apocalypse. Who would have thought those skills would be so useful one day?

Rank 1: Crafted blocks have 20% more hitpoints.

Rank 2: Crafted blocks have 40% more hitpoints.

Rank 3: Crafted blocks have 60% more hitpoints. Block placement range increased by 1 meter.

Rank 4: Crafted blocks have 80% more hitpoints.

Rank 5: Crafted blocks have 100% more hitpoints. Block placement range increased by 2 meters.

Handyman In A Past Life

How many survivors does it take to change a light bulb? Only one: you!

Rank 1: Repairing blocks is 10% faster and requires 10% fewer resources.

Rank 2: Repairing blocks is 15% faster and requires 15% fewer resources.

Rank 3: Repairing blocks is 20% faster and requires 20% fewer resources.

Rank 4: Repairing blocks is 25% faster and requires 25% fewer resources.

Rank 5: Repairing blocks is 30% faster and requires 30% fewer resources.

Trapper Extraordinaire

All that time you spent making fancy contraptions as a kid to trap squirrels is finally paying off.

Rank 1: Traps do 20% more damage and have 20% more durability.

Rank 2: Traps do 40% more damage and have 40% more durability.

Rank 3: Traps do 60% more damage and have 60% more durability.

Rank 4: Traps do 80% more damage and have 80% more durability.

Rank 5: Traps do 100% more damage and have 100% more durability.

I think there should be a trapper skill, as the current wood and iron spikes do so little damage and break so fast they are a waste of resources. I much prefer barbed wire fences, they don't wear down over time just as zombies hit them. They only do 1 damage, but they slow zombies down and lock them in their pain animation which means less chances they can get a swing off to damage things. Then I just shoot them.

I think there should be a trapper skill, as the current wood and iron spikes do so little damage and break so fast they are a waste of resources. I much prefer barbed wire fences, they don't wear down over time just as zombies hit them. They only do 1 damage, but they slow zombies down and lock them in their pain animation which means less chances they can get a swing off to damage things. Then I just shoot them.

Only thing spikes have been useful for to me is killing a screamer that came to my base and dog horde that came to my base. Anything else just tears through wood spikes tbh.

Lots of people don't like the increased zombie damage on blocks. At the same time, The Pimps seem adamant that they want to retain that part of the game for increased challenge.

Some "shower thoughts":

Master Builder

You used to volunteer work for Habitat For Humanity before the apocalypse. Who would have thought those skills would be so useful one day?

Rank 3: Crafted blocks have 60% more hitpoints. Block placement range increased by 1 meter.

Rank 5: Crafted blocks have 100% more hitpoints. Block placement range increased by 2 meters.

Handyman In A Past Life

Trapper Extraordinaire

All that time you spent making fancy contraptions as a kid to trap squirrels is finally paying off.

Dude, I love these!

I posted this in another thread:

How about a perk that is called: Zombie Killer : Zombies killed give 50% more XP [Rank2 100%] [etc.]

another called - The Builder: Any builder action grants you 50% more XP

another - The Scavenger: Recieve XP by looting

I'm just spitballing here but it would let you get XP as YOU want and play as YOU like without touching the skill tree that much. (Specializations)

I think this kind of approach should be effortless for them without changing that much.

KIeep the good ideas coming!

No, just no. For MP this would work, because say 1 person out of a group can do each, but then more defenders makes horde night easier so who cares anyway. For SP where these perks would count the most, who the hell has the points? You know at level 300 you've got about 26 points left right? Doubt TFP will give us more points if they added a few perks.

Alright I added the basics of master builder and the skill loads (without description as it is a modlet) but my first test was reinforced concrete and it may not work with those simply because they have to dry, rather than you creating or upgrading them. I will test it in a wood frame and a wood block. I am hopeful

No, just no. For MP this would work, because say 1 person out of a group can do each, but then more defenders makes horde night easier so who cares anyway. For SP where these perks would count the most, who the hell has the points? You know at level 300 you've got about 26 points left right? Doubt TFP will give us more points if they added a few perks.

You don’t need to max perk everything. This is a very weak argument against builder perks.

His suggestion is worth 15 points so far, that's still 11 unused points at the end.

You don’t need to max perk everything. This is a very weak argument against builder perks.

His suggestion is worth 15 points so far, that's still 11 unused points at the end.

Ok but my point is not about unused points, my point is about we only get 1 point per level and that is unlikely to change (because of the unused points) and we've already got enough things to spend our limited points on. You get my point now?

Because even though there are limited areas to specialize in, they are there, but more for MP when you can actually choose to 100% not engage in certain activities which is not a choice in SP.

Ok but my point is not about unused points, my point is about we only get 1 point per level and that is unlikely to change (because of the unused points) and we've already got enough things to spend our limited points on. You get my point now?

Because even though there are limited areas to specialize in, they are there, but more for MP when you can actually choose to 100% not engage in certain activities which is not a choice in SP.

Okay, so what's better?

Having the initial "struggle" of choosing whether you want to build a better stronger base, or go for other skills first, knowing ultimately you CAN have all?

Or not having certain options at all and forgo certain play styles that used to be a staple of this game?

Except the "other things to spend your points on" don't help base-builders and their preferred play method. We've got perks for farming and cutting up animals, why shouldn't we get base-builder perks?

Get the point now?

yeah, I have been working on a different leveling system where you get more points, per level, increasing as oyu level and perks and stuff cost mor as you level them, removing the player level requirements as well. The amount of skill points you get and max level is very easy to change, so that is a non-issue. If you prefer we can get rid of some of the less useful perks, but I'd rather more options.

But back on topic, the master builder perk is a no go at the moment, as I cannot find where the building blocks actually get their HPs. the non-buildbles have a max damage stat, but that is not attached to anything we build with. Perhaps we can make new MB blocks that are usable as the master builder, but that seems like a clunky implementation.

On to the next skill, for now.

Okay, so what's better?

Having the initial "struggle" of choosing whether you want to build a better stronger base, or go for other skills first, knowing ultimately you CAN have all?

Or not having certain options at all and forgo certain play styles that used to be a staple of this game?

Except the "other things to spend your points on" don't help base-builders and their preferred play method. We've got perks for farming and cutting up animals, why shouldn't we get base-builder perks?

Get the point now?

Yeah, because I'd rather see the zeds do "reasonable" damage to blocks instead of having more perks. Honestly I'm just not a fan of the RPG thing, enjoyed this game most pre...what was it A11 when they first added skills. When you could just jump in and play and do whatever without grinding out levels. Anywho, I try to make the best of what I've got to work with, but when it comes to skilltrees to me less is more.

Don't get me wrong, I enjoy base-building too, I just wish everything didn't last about as long as wet cardboard, but I don't feel like I should have to have more perks for that to be the case either.

Yeah, because I'd rather see the zeds do "reasonable" damage to blocks instead of having more perks. Honestly I'm just not a fan of the RPG thing, enjoyed this game most pre...what was it A11 when they first added skills. When you could just jump in and play and do whatever without grinding out levels. Anywho, I try to make the best of what I've got to work with, but when it comes to skilltrees to me less is more.

Don't get me wrong, I enjoy base-building too, I just wish everything didn't last about as long as wet cardboard, but I don't feel like I should have to have more perks for that to be the case either.

To be fair that is an entirely different problem. Even if things lasted longer, I would wnt my materials to last longer, repairs to be faster, etc...and I am sure there is a modlet for that.

Skills and perks, and RPG elements in general, are here to stay. In fact, TFP have said they will be adding more in upcoming patches.

So perhaps the game is no longer the game you used to enjoy playing. There are other games out there though!

Skills and perks, and RPG elements in general, are here to stay. In fact, TFP have said they will be adding more in upcoming patches.

So perhaps the game is no longer the game you used to enjoy playing. There are other games out there though!

Inferring that someone should just move on to other games instead of advocating for the game that they enjoy go back to what made it great is poor form in my opinion. But hey, to each their own. Everyone has their own opinions.

EDIT: missed a word

Some "shower thoughts":

Master Builder

Handyman In A Past Life

Trapper Extraordinaire

These are awesome, seriously

Inferring that someone should just move on to other games instead of advocating for the game that they enjoy go back to what made it great is poor form in my opinion. But hey, to each their own. Everyone has their own opinions.

It is, but half the dip♥♥♥♥s on every game forum are like that, and this one is no different, so I don't let it get under my skin.

No, there really aren't, because that is what everyone seems to want, even the FPS games have RPG and crafting elements these days.

I accept it, but I don't have to embrace it. So even going away from the pre-A17 learning by doing grind to the plain old XP grind is an improvement in my eyes.

Sure, but this isn't a case of someone simply not liking the A17 mechanics. This is a case of someone who wants to go back to A11 days.

Archived