Food woes in alpha 17

Skipio

I’d love to hear an explanation from the pimps of why they thought it was a good idea to choke the supply of food and simultaneously increase the requirement for food all at one go?

More food needed

- to repair max stamina damage (or just just have a boring game because you can’t do anything)

Less food supply

- zombies no longer drop loot which could from time to time include food

- no farming until level 20 (unless you get lucky and find a hoe or find one for sale)

Did you forget that there are live animals in the world that you can hunt and harvest? I have a screenshot of me on Day 5 with 180+ meat in my inventory. They upped the amount of meat you get from hunting, so everything works out fine and dandy. I've never in my life heard of anyone relying on zombie loot for food.

Did you forget that there are live animals in the world that you can hunt and harvest? I have a screenshot of me on Day 5 with 180+ meat in my inventory. They upped the amount of meat you get from hunting, so everything works out fine and dandy. I've never in my life heard of anyone relying on zombie loot for food.

They haven't upped the loot from hunting. 5 meat gets you ONE charred meat rather than 5. So essentially you have 36 meat (in old money) which I'll grant you is good.... but not as good as you make out. I have nowhere near that.

I am finding that any food I get is feeding me without problems but only scratching the max stamina problem.

I am also finding that when a piece of meat says "raises max stamina by 10" I sometimes get as low as 8 points of max stamina from in (when standing still eating).

Hard boiled eggs are a great food source, just grab rank one of chef. I am on day 26 and still living on eggs and the canned goods I have scrounged.

Im using my eggs to make bacon and eggs. I don’t think hard boiled eggs are a match for that, doing the maths. But clearing the destroyed ground from around my POI base so they can’t get onto the second floor cost me all five of my stock of bacon and eggs just to repair the max stamina damage, and that was just one day of exertion.

Food is tough but doable. Here's what you're looking at:

- Look for roadkill. Not to eat, but harvesting them yields valuable bones for shivs (meat!) and glue. Always, always worth it to smash them when you find them (on concrete roads)

- Do a 'treasure hunt' mission for the trader. The chest has almost always contained food/water/rations for me. You can take potshots at animals along the way if you see them.

- If you see potatoes, grab some. You can bake them for food without a pot or grill. Do not eat them raw!

- Grab eggs, boil them if you find a pot.

- Focus your scavenging efforts on residential houses and only worry about the kitchens and bathrooms for bottles, pots, and if you're lucky, a grill. You'll usually find morsels like canned peas and dogfood

- If a rabbit stands still, kill it and give its still-warm skin to a child who needs socks. If you see ANY animal, kill it regardless of what you're doing.

- Giant poltergeist pigs are hell to kill, but are fully edible and worth it if you can take one down.

- If you have meat, save it for bacon & eggs. It's the most efficient food in the early game.

- If you're finding yourself VERY hard up, take the Slow Metabolism perk and eat eggs raw... I've had to do this a few times.

- If you start in the snow, or desert, kill yourself now. There's no food in the snow biomes, and yucca plants aren't enough to subsist on. The only animal I've seen spawn in the burnt biomes now are rabbits. You used to see deer there.. :( You need forests or bust in this game now.

- I see a lot of town POI's have farm plots or even gardens where you can find corn, potatoes, and even blueberries. I think there's one nearby in my game that has a few yucca plants. If you're going to explore and scavenge, keep an eye out and bookmark them for later.

That said, animal spawns appear to be much less common. I used to be able to take a day hunting and at least bag a couple of deer, but now, I'm lucky I find 1-2 strays a week.

If you can find a working stiffs, or if you work for the trader for a bit, you can sometimes score a hoe. I do NOT advise starting a farm between day 5-7, simply because you need to focus on horde night. It's usually a good 'morning after' activity.

I dislike killing animals, so I go with boiled eggs. Bacon and eggs has good stats but use lots of materials. Getting the fullness perk helps my max stamina and hunger levels so I have never had a problem. You're very unlucky if you don't find a pot in the first half hour of play.

Edit don't forget to go into items.xml and uncomment the line that gives you your jar back. Not sure why yhis isn't default behavior, who eats glass? :p

I’d love to hear an explanation from the pimps of why they thought it was a good idea to choke the supply of food and simultaneously increase the requirement for food all at one go?

More food needed

- to repair max stamina damage (or just just have a boring game because you can’t do anything)

Less food supply

- no farming until level 20 (unless you get lucky and find a hoe or find one for sale)

TFP basically caved to the pressure from the hardcores who wanted more challenging survival. /shrug

Your best bet early game is to scavenge nests for eggs and be on a lookout for a pot. Also make the first tier of cooking a priority as you start off with almost no recipes to speak of. Vending machines are a good source of food and drinks, although I personally avoid them as I find them immersion breaking.

We are currently on day 16 on the server we are running. I have farmed and hunted enough food for a party of five to maintain their health and stamina. I've only raised my farming to the second level, so it doesn't take a lot. Make sure that you make a shiv as soon as you get your first bone. Upgrade to the hunting knife as soon as you are able to. This will increase how much you retrieve from animals when your harvest them. Baked potatoes are great for stamina if you don't need to raise your health. They are cheap and easily accessible.

As for the glass, do you mean from drinking a jar of water or from cooking with the jar of water? If I can get my jars back from cooking that would be awesome! I don't understand why you can't use cans of water either for cooking. It all goes into a pot, right?

We are currently on day 16 on the server we are running. I have farmed and hunted enough food for a party of five to maintain their health and stamina. I've only raised my farming to the second level, so it doesn't take a lot. Make sure that you make a shiv as soon as you get your first bone. Upgrade to the hunting knife as soon as you are able to. This will increase how much you retrieve from animals when your harvest them. Baked potatoes are great for stamina if you don't need to raise your health. They are cheap and easily accessible.

As for the glass, do you mean from drinking a jar of water or from cooking with the jar of water? If I can get my jars back from cooking that would be awesome! I don't understand why you can't use cans of water either for cooking. It all goes into a pot, right?

I have the hunting (extra meat harvest) perk, and a machete. However animals don’t seem all that common.

Baked potatoes as I mentioned elsewhere are almost useless (not that there is a single field in my town!) they give 4 fullness and ZERO max stamina healing. Given that the issue is max stamina repair, you have to find something else to eat - like bacon and eggs - which fixes the stamina and the fullness is a bonus on the side.

Someone else said about looting residential houses. Unfortunately my only tiwn (so far) has mostly destroyed brick tenement blocks with loads of gun safes but little in the way of food cupboards :(

- - - Updated - - -

No caving. They wanted more challenging survival all on their own. They wear their own big boy pants. ;)

“Let themselves be influenced by” then - Surely you can’t disagree with that?

I dislike killing animals, so I go with boiled eggs. Bacon and eggs has good stats but use lots of materials. Getting the fullness perk helps my max stamina and hunger levels so I have never had a problem. You're very unlucky if you don't find a pot in the first half hour of play.

Edit don't forget to go into items.xml and uncomment the line that gives you your jar back. Not sure why yhis isn't default behavior, who eats glass? :p

What line is this exactly? What's it under?

- - - Updated - - -

Nevermind I just found it. Thanks for the tip though!

I'd disagree with food woes even with the farm changes. Hunting is still plentiful and if u hit those couple of quiet animal days you've over hunted the animals and I found changing biomes spawns more. Without taking Huntsman perk I have hundreds of meat, yes it's 5 meat for a snack now but it's not been a problem.

I've tested 4 random maps and every town has multiple corn fields, corn on the cob will keep u going same with boiled eggs if u can't find meat, obviously 1 perk point gets u bacon and eggs even better. Even on 50% loot drop I still made 8k in my first week to buy any food items from traders and vending machines, something I never needed to do in a16.

With farming more challenging I've either looted a hoe or the trader had one in all 4 tested maps, but I've not even started a farm in my 3rd week as I just don't feel the need to yet.

starting a farm for cotton isn't a bad idea, considering bandages are the only practical way to restore max health.

it's a lot slower to ramp up a farm now without extensive perk investment, so I'd still prioritize getting some crops going on week 2, even if it's only cotton and potatoes. They're enough to live by with only one skill point, and easy enough to rack up enough seeds to supplement your diet and grow the plot out.

I'm poking through the XML files.. is cornbread really as garbage as it looks?

More food needed

Less food supply

I have had literally zero problems feeding three people. And we pretty much travel in a pack, so it's not like we're spreading out to find separate supplies

Killing animals easily satisfies the need for food. Take a level or 2 of huntsman and you'll be stunned how much meat a deer or wolf can give. We have been eating bacon and eggs constantly since day 3 or so when I could take a couple levels of cooking.

Also, most buried treasure quests are loaded with canned food.

And with level 3 cooking, you can make canned food out of literally garbage (rotten meat, bones and fat.)

And I haven't even started a farm yet. In aA16 we had real sustainability problems until I started farming. Not now.

There's no reason at all to have food problems in this alpha.

starting a farm for cotton isn't a bad idea, considering bandages are the only practical way to restore max health.

it's a lot slower to ramp up a farm now without extensive perk investment, so I'd still prioritize getting some crops going on week 2, even if it's only cotton and potatoes. They're enough to live by with only one skill point, and easy enough to rack up enough seeds to supplement your diet and grow the plot out.

I'm poking through the XML files.. is cornbread really as garbage as it looks?

Yer first starting out A17 I was playing A16 reckless style, burned through cloth like a bonfire lol.

I'm definitely keeping random seeds now instead of throwing them away.

Yer cornbread took a hit, practically useless, corn on the cob slightly better in emergencies.

What line is this exactly? What's it under?

- - - Updated - - -

Nevermind I just found it. Thanks for the tip though!

Yeah this should be vanilla.

Just to prove I could do it, I made cornbread at the beach.

Was there with my family and two of my kids play 7DTD as well so it was fun.

While I did, in fact, break my jar because I waited too long, my mother did it just fine.

She's an old school Croatian who grew up poor.

She even knows how to fish with flour, sugar, a paperclip, and a piece of string. [No kidding.. it's hysterical!]

Anyway..... yes you CAN cook with glass jars and get the jars back.

At the very least, TFP could have a probability based on your Cooking Skill.... or Croatian background. [Either works.]

Archived