Are us "normal" people getting the update tomorrow?

EzunaAranna

And this is only experimental version???

Correct

It's expected to have bugs. (Found several already)

It's expected that you may have to wipe your save between experimental branches, or between experimental and stable.

This is not a build for "Normal" people to play. This is a build for people to opt-into helping the developers find and fix bugs in the client so we can get stable up and running faster.

Correct

It's expected to have bugs. (Found several already)

It's expected that you may have to wipe your save between experimental branches, or between experimental and stable.

This is not a build for "Normal" people to play. This is a build for people to opt-into helping the developers find and fix bugs in the client so we can get stable up and running faster.

I was differentiating between non-streamers and the streamers.

But to your point - I take it the streamers are focusing on "helping the developers find and fix bugs" then as well as opposed to generating traffic for their sites? From the state of most of the childish streams I've seen so far, I would determine that would be a resounding "no", since most seem completely unfamiliar with even the basic mechanics of the game or its historical development.

But then you knew this already and were just trying to make a point for the sake of it ;)

But to your point - I take it the streamers are focusing on "helping the developers find and fix bugs" then as well as opposed to generating traffic for their sites? From the state of most of the childish streams I've seen so far, I would determine that would be a resounding "no", since most seem completely unfamiliar with even the basic mechanics of the game or its historical development.

But then you knew this already and were just trying to make a point for the sake of it ;)

Sylen didn't conflate streamers with QA testers - you did that.

No, the Streamer weekend isn't about a final QA test, though to be sure, it does give TFP the opportunity to check out the games play on hardware configurations (to the extent that they may know what the streamers are running the game on), that may be outside of the dedicated QA testers group of hardware.

The streamer weekend is at least in part, if not mainly, about generating some interest in the upcoming release, particularly, hopefully, amongst potential new players of the game.

That the streamers MAY find a few bugs which escaped the efforts of the QA Testers dedicated work, and that TFP may then be able to fix those bugs prior to its general experimental release, is a bonus.

The stream event is primarily a marketing strategy. Popular variety streamers who rarely/never have played 7DTD and their viewers who are also new to 7DTD are probably who TFP were hoping would participate.

Experimental could require daily restarts of your world and is for people who don't mind that and deal with bugs by filling out informative bug reports when they discover issues, including game breaking issues.

"Normal" people, meaning people who get angry or frustrated over frequently having to completely restart their world or having to deal with irritating to gamebreaking bugs, definitely should wait for stable. I remember well the forum whining during A16e, even though everyone was notified ahead of time what to expect.

But then you knew this already and were just trying to make a point for the sake of it.

Will we need to do anything differently to get the experimental tomorrow?

Also, is there any in-game bug reporting tool we can use while we play it? When something weird happens, I wouldn't mind submitting a log and description of the problem.

Make sure your Steam library entry for 7Days is set to experimental and not locked down to a particular Alpha.

I would also suggest making sure you've got 16.4 installed in a non-steam directory somewhere so you can continue playing that one while waiting for bug fixes on 17.e to be fixed.

I would also suggest making sure you've got 16.4 installed in a non-steam directory somewhere so you can continue playing that one while waiting for bug fixes on 17.e to be fixed.

Yeah this for sure.

Especially if you've got edited XML's cuz it'll overwrite all your hard work.

Not that I've ever made that mistake or anything.

[Ehem... and certainly not twice.]

a3GqxSO.gif

From what i have seen the streamers have found some significant bugs. I can imagine the forums if they had released it publicly and 1000's of players screaming profanities at the devs for not getting it right. As of now the devs are still going to streams and getting feedback and bugs to fix. Exactly the way it was supposed to work. Good decision by the devs. I am expecting the exp to drop around midday Tuesday my time.

It's not going to be a beta branch thing? If not, where does one set their library entry to experimental?

1) Open Steam

2) Find 7 Days to die in your Library

3) Right click on it and choose properties [it's at the bottom of that list]

4) I'm sure you can figure it out from there.

There's no option to pick A17e [yet] but there will be soon enough.

1) Open Steam

2) Find 7 Days to die in your Library

3) Right click on it and choose properties [it's at the bottom of that list]

4) I'm sure you can figure it out from there.

There's no option to pick A17e [yet] but there will be soon enough.

The "Betas" tab? That's what I was referring to with the "beta branch thing." The way that OzHawkeye phrased it made me think there was some other option of which I was unaware.

You can't yet. Only tomorrow you can Op-in to a17-E

I'm aware, hence the "going to be". As I said previously, I just thought perhaps there was an option of which I was unaware (as yes, I am a noob who bought the game during A16) due to the way OzHawkeye phrased his post.

It's not going to be a beta branch thing? If not, where does one set their library entry to experimental?

7 days to die->properties->Betas->Opt in to most recent experemental branch.

Currently its not listed yet as its not avail for the public yet, but when it is, thats how you get into it. I plan to uninstall my base 7dtd and redownload it fresh when a17e hits, just to ensure max compatability/lowest amount of issues.

Here i was hoping that as an european dude i would get the update today (as it was mentioned today) and not simply during the night... *sighs*

Oh well, i will have to occupy myself with some A16.4 more...

Concerning the streamers, most think of it as just jumping into A17 and forget about anything associated with testing the game. 2HandGaming made a great video on many of the changes, while some other (like Games4Kickz) went through the skill trees (during a breather) checking everything to get acquainted. Aaaaand... some others simply jumped into the game for much anticipated shenanigans with maybe not full, but something like 30-50% disregard of what the update brings (not getting used to nor anticipating changes).

From the state of most of the childish streams I've seen so far, I would determine that would be a resounding "no", since most seem completely unfamiliar with even the basic mechanics of the game or its historical development.

My thoughts exactly. Or the ability to recognize a bug when it happens. For exactly that reason I'd say it is purely for marketing.

Archived