New to playing 7 days on PC

andrewcu

Hey everyone! I have never played a PC game prior to 7 days, i bought the game on xbox, played the hell out of it and wanted to move on to PC to get everything console is missing. I caught the game on sale 2 weeks ago and paid $7 for it roughly so i decided to start the process of trying to play the PC version. If you didnt see my previous post, i had to covert my windows from 32 to 64 bit to get it to work. I accomplished that over this weekend and started trying to play the game, TRYING is key word. I spawned into the snow biome and found a house where i took shelter... oddly enough i spawned in the exact same spot i spawned in my current console game. A few in game hours went by of me trying to get used to mouse and keyboard and it proved a struggle. So this is the point of this post. does anyone have any suggestions for getting used to mouse/ keyboard over a controller? I remapped my movement keys to the arrow keys but it proved a struggle trying to move back to E and R for searching and taking items, so i think i will put it back to the default W/A/S/D when i can get back to trying to play it. I really want to get it down before the release of A17 so i can fully enjoy the game.

I am an avid console gamer who prefers controller to mouse/keyboard, but there are plenty of games where the m/k just makes more sense, even for console ports to PC. Part of your struggle might just be familiarity with the console version. If you have any MMORPG's (WoW is free-to-play, I believe), you might go play one of those for a few hours. They might make you more familiar with m/k, particularly because a controller doesn't make sense for them with all of the different keys that you need to use. After gaining that familiarity, it might be easier to come back to 7dtd.

Yep, getting used to Kb/mouse is a process that will take you more than a few hours, but worth it because the PC version is far ahead by now.

Use the default controls. And easy game difficulty to not get frustrated because of your handicap at the moment. Also lots of shooting zombies with bow/crossbow or gun to get a feeling for the mouse targeting, but that happens anyway in this game.

I don't know if specifically training to find the stealth key for example is really useful, but having the most important keys written on a piece of paper has always helped me with new games (or put reversible labels on the keys themselves). The rest is just using any combo often enough until you got it wired into your brain.

Oh geez... plz never play a game with arrow keys. And as others have mentioned, do play on easy mode to start so as to limit frustrations and stuff. Once you're used to the keyboard / mouse controls for this game, you'll automatically be trained for pretty much every other game out there as they're all very similar.

Yep, getting used to Kb/mouse is a process that will take you more than a few hours, but worth it because the PC version is far ahead by now.

Use the default controls. And easy game difficulty to not get frustrated because of your handicap at the moment. Also lots of shooting zombies with bow/crossbow or gun to get a feeling for the mouse targeting, but that happens anyway in this game.

I don't know if specifically training to find the stealth key for example is really useful, but having the most important keys written on a piece of paper has always helped me with new games (or put reversible labels on the keys themselves). The rest is just using any combo often enough until you got it wired into your brain.

I definitely did write down most of the keys on a piece of paper ha. I thought about turning zombies off to start with, but that would make zero sense since i would need something for target practice. Turning it to easy makes more sense

You can use a controller with the PC version too(an XBox pad should connect easily). It works all right outside of a couple quirks and a missing command or two. Mouse and kb is surely "better" and gives you the best balance of accurate and also quick look movements(adjust mouse sensitivity to adjust controller look speed). But playing with a pad can be a bit more comfortable, particularly if you are more used to it.

My keyboard has a small cluster of 4 arrow keys entirely seperate from the numeric keyboard section, and I use those very successfully (I'm left handed, so the mouse is in my left hand, and my right hand does the keys).

It works well - just map out functions to all the keys that surround these arrow keys.

Delete - reload

Home - Inventory

Keypad 0 - sprint

Right Ctrl - crouch

Right Shift - Jump

Enter - activate / open

If I try to use the default WASD keys I find I lose track of where my fingers are, and have to constantly watch the keyboard, and I hate it, but being centred around the isolated island of arrow keys means I can always feel exactly where I am, and never miss or muddle a key.

It'll come to you with practice. I can't handle a controller. Hate them.

Im not big into the mods, ive watched youtubers play them and they just arent for me. I guess all i can do is just jump in and start practicing yayyy

I've been around since the very beginning and even I've never touched a single mod for this game. Some ppl love them, others just aren't interested or don't think the game needs them, though it's always nice having the option.

Welcome to the pc world, as has been said turn your enemies down to lowest or off and learn the game controls until they are second nature, I always disable the button to drop your current equipped item, I think it is 'q' by default.

I prefer forest / grass or desert to snow biome, but the snow biome is a nice place to visit, I just prefer not to live there. :D

Had the same thing when I got a pc and played this game after playing it on ps4 even though ive played stuff like LoL for ages I couldn't get used to it so I got an extra long cable and plugged it in and its so much better for me. Just remember if you do do that to turn off the steam overlay controller support, it interferes and you still get the keyboard shortcut onscreen. When turned off it works perfectly exact same setup as my ps4 was and never looked back. =)

I think everyone is a little off on their gameplay when starting a new game. I remaped my keys and it took a while to get use to it but now it is pretty much second nature. Muscle memory is a wonderful thing.

(Haven't played 7D in almost 2 months so I am thinking when A17 finally drops I am going to have to relearn them all over again lol )

I am an avid console gamer who prefers controller to mouse/keyboard, but there are plenty of games where the m/k just makes more sense, even for console ports to PC. Part of your struggle might just be familiarity with the console version. If you have any MMORPG's (WoW is free-to-play, I believe), you might go play one of those for a few hours. They might make you more familiar with m/k, particularly because a controller doesn't make sense for them with all of the different keys that you need to use. After gaining that familiarity, it might be easier to come back to 7dtd.

The only good advice so far. Almost every PC game uses WASD, Ctrl is almost always crouch/sneak. R is almost always reload, E is very common for activate/use. Mouse is for aiming or cursor inside menu/inventory. Play 7 Days and any other games you want to get these common controls instinctive and you will feel natural in no time.

The only good advice so far. Almost every PC game uses WASD, Ctrl is almost always crouch/sneak. R is almost always reload, E is very common for activate/use. Mouse is for aiming or cursor inside menu/inventory. Play 7 Days and any other games you want to get these common controls instinctive and you will feel natural in no time.

Yea i can only assume that most PC games have very similar button mapping. It would be silly to have you relearn buttons for a single game. That game that has random button mapping would fail terribly on PC i imagine lol

First thing to do is turn off 'enhance pointer precision' in windows mouse settings. It sounds like a good thing but actually all it does is to increase sensitivity when you're moving the mouse quickly. The reason this is bad is that if you move the mouse the same distance 10x you will have a slightly different outcome every time.

Next find the right sensitivity for the space you have. Make sure you can juuust spin backwards before lifting the mouse, but don't go higher sens than that or you start throwing away fine control.

Then once the setup is solid just spend time walking down a straight road, alternating forwards/backwards/strafe until you can do it without stopping or messing up the angles. By this I mean keep the direction of travel the same as you rotate.

IF you really want to use the arrows for movement I strongly sugest to use:

Right Shift - Jump

Right Ctrl - crouch

delete - sprint

page down - reload

enter - action key

Keypad 0 - flashlight

I use this configuration on my keyboard just because I'm left handed and can't use the mouse on my right hand

IF you really want to use the arrows for movement I strongly sugest to use:

Right Shift - Jump

Right Ctrl - crouch

delete - sprint

page down - reload

enter - action key

Keypad 0 - flashlight

I use this configuration on my keyboard just because I'm left handed and can't use the mouse on my right hand

Looking at that configuration, I don't have a clue how you manage at all.

If I was left handed, I'd simply use the numpad (4,5,6,8) as my arrow keys, allowing me to take better advantage of all the surrounding buttons and use the actual arrow keys for jump, crouch, maybe other things, the right Enter key would be sprint, + would be inventory, 7 would be action, 9 would be drop item, Page Down would be reload, etc... basically just reversing the right handed layout for the left handed.

If I was left handed, I'd simply use the numpad (4,5,6,8) as my arrow keys, allowing me to take better advantage of all the surrounding buttons and use the actual arrow keys for jump, crouch, maybe other things, the right Enter key would be sprint, + would be inventory, 7 would be action, 9 would be drop item, Page Down would be reload, etc... basically just reversing the right handed layout for the left handed.

Backspace is drop item on most games that have a drop item key. Anything less would be uncivilized.

with a configuration like this all keys is nearby

https://cdn.iset.io/assets/00665/produtos/566/teclados-razercyclosa-cyclosa2.jpg

:D

Archived