Will I get good performance when playing 7 Days To Die on this laptop?

Hello Survivalists,

I have recently been recently thinking of getting a gaming laptop to be able to play games on the go so, I went ahead and found a good priced laptop (for 25,499 EGP equivalent of 1,435 USD) with the following specs...

Processor: Intel® Core™i7

Processor Details: Core i7-7700HQ Quad Core (6MB Cache, up to 3.8 GHz)

VGA Number: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060

VGA Memorey: 6GB GDDR5

RAM: 16GB DDR4 2400MHz

Storage: 1 TB + 256GB SSD

Screen Resolution: FHD (1920 x 1080)

With this specs will 7 Days to die run smoothly on ultra settings?

Thanks!

laptops arent ideal for running games as processors are usually relatively slow compared to desktop equivalents. however my four year old i5 runs the game quite well. the gtx 1060 should do quite well in terms of graphics but whether or not the combo of cpu gpu will run ultra smoothly is debatable. i have the desktop 1060 and at times the game still runs like a pig even with 6gb to play with and 24gb ram. future optimisation should take care of this, hopefully. This laptop should run the game quite well, ultra possibly but do expect slowdown at times, especially in cities and on horde nights.

laptops arent ideal for running games as processors are usually relatively slow compared to desktop equivalents. however my four year old i5 runs the game quite well. the gtx 1060 should do quite well in terms of graphics but whether or not the combo of cpu gpu will run ultra smoothly is debatable. i have the desktop 1060 and at times the game still runs like a pig even with 6gb to play with and 24gb ram. future optimisation should take care of this, hopefully. This laptop should run the game quite well, ultra possibly but do expect slowdown at times, especially in cities and on horde nights.

Thanks, Can you give me an estimate on the average fps that you are getting on your rig? (I want my brain to stop hurting)

and also what did you mean "runs like pig" did you mean runs fast as the 7dtd pig or runs slowly as a real life pig?

If that were in a desktop machine, you should be able to run at high to ultra settings, but you can still expect stuttering and slowdowns when you enter a large city or when a horde spawns. Generally speaking, those are good specs for a gaming laptop.

On a laptop, you have to be careful with overheating. There just isn't room for the kind of heat sinks you can put in a desktop, so you may find the CPU and GPU are intentionally slowed down. Best you can do is make sure the laptop is sitting on a hard surface and has good airflow.

The other factor is battery time. If you're planning on playing off the battery, it may not run for more than an hour or two on a full charge.

I have seen battlefield 1 running on my friends laptop which is the same as this one on ultra setting and he was getting average 80 fps, Will the same be achieved in 7 days to die?

Also, I will always play on the charger and I was thinking of putting the laptop on a constantly cooled -20C Iron plate. Not sure but this worked with my old Acer.

High shouldn't be an issue getting 90FPS, but you will get some tearing as the FPS fluctuates. It's better to cap it at 60.

Battlefield 1 doesn't require nearly the system resources that a voxel game does, so 7 Days is going to be harder on your CPU and RAM than the GPU. Which is where the biggest bottleneck is.

Just for reference, my system specs....

Win 10, CPU i7-3930 @ 4.17GHz (overclocked), 16GB DDR3 RAM @933 MHz, and a GTX 1060 6GB with the stock overclock.

I run the OS on a SSD, and the game on a pair of ultra-fast Hitachi hard drives in RAID0 for speed.

I could get 70-90 but the fluctuating frame rate causes tearing, so I keep it capped at 60.

If I push the CPU clock up to 4.5 in turbo, my benchmark is about the same as your 7700 is stock.

High shouldn't be an issue getting 90FPS, but you will get some tearing as the FPS fluctuates. It's better to cap it at 60.

Battlefield 1 doesn't require nearly the system resources that a voxel game does, so 7 Days is going to be harder on your CPU and RAM than the GPU. Which is where the biggest bottleneck is.

Just for reference, my system specs....

Win 10, CPU i7-3930 @ 4.17GHz (overclocked), 16GB DDR3 RAM @933 MHz, and a GTX 1060 6GB with the stock overclock.

I run the OS on a SSD, and the game on a pair of ultra-fast Hitachi hard drives in RAID0 for speed.

I could get 70-90 but the fluctuating frame rate causes tearing, so I keep it capped at 60.

If I push the CPU clock up to 4.5 in turbo, my benchmark is about the same as your 7700 is stock.

Thanks for the info sir but, How can I cap the FPS of the game?

intel core i7 quad core 4.4Ghz

gtx1070 6GB

32 GB ram

desktop computer

game at max settings

fps fluctuate between 50 and 70...

If get 40-60 on that laptop it shouldn't be a problem, I used to play games at lowest settings and still get 10-15 fps only (Potato PC)

laptops arent ideal for running games as processors are usually relatively slow compared to desktop equivalents.

Not true anymore. At all.

- - - Updated - - -

Thanks for the info sir but, How can I cap the FPS of the game?

If you enable vsync either in game, or forced via drivers, it will lock to your refresh rate (60hz - unless you have a higher refresh rate). If you cant maintain the refresh rate it will halve (30fps).

If you msi afterburner installed you can use RTSS to lock the fps to any framerate you want. Generally still 60 or 30 because of the way display's work. ( /2 )

I have a slightly better system than the one posted and even I don't run the game on absolute highest graphics settings. The way I see it, why run certain settings if you can't tell the difference anyways? So by lowering a few things, you nearly double in FPS and no one can tell the difference in quality unless specifically looking for it.

Also, as mentioned already, laptops are notorious for not running games quite as well or as stable as any desktop. So our estimate in performance would be a guessing game since every laptop has different cooling efficiencies and performance tweaks. You might end up with bad luck and buy a laptop that handles the game on ultra settings with 60+ fps but it overheats and crashes after 10 minutes of game time or it decides to throttle it's performance down so much that you lose all that fps goodness to the point of being unplayable. Or, you might get lucky and have no issues at all. Every laptop is different... so unless someone actually owns that model of laptop, no one can know for sure how well it'll run 7d2d.

I have seen battlefield 1 running on my friends laptop which is the same as this one on ultra setting and he was getting average 80 fps, Will the same be achieved in 7 days to die?

Maybe you could ask your friend to try this game for you on his laptop so that you can see how it runs?

Well the 1060 is barely better than the ageing 970. Keep 60 fps on mid to high settings might be hard, especally where 7dtd has little done in the way of optimizations due to it being alpha. I am sure the game will be playable but don't expect 60 fps. I have a i5-7500, 8gb ram, geforce 1070 8gb, and its on a SSD, and I often dip to 40 fps. Trees are set to high, 1080p res, full texture size, reflections and shadows are on, water quality is set to high. You'll mostly notice fps drops in cities around buildings, or inside the bigger poi buildings, As it seems the game is constantly calculation structural intergrity every step you take, even more so if zombies are on the ground floor hitting the poi, like a wandering horde often does when I am in the crack-a-book, higashi pharma, or that other big tower.

TL:DR the game will be playable on those specs, just don't expect steller performance, i'd say that for generally anyone playing 7 days to die though regardless, as the game hasn't had much optimization done to it yet. Once it does get it done, i'd expect steady 60 fps on a mid range system as the game itself is not all that graphically impressive.

Not true anymore. At all.

- - - Updated - - -

If you enable vsync either in game, or forced via drivers, it will lock to your refresh rate (60hz - unless you have a higher refresh rate). If you cant maintain the refresh rate it will halve (30fps).

If you msi afterburner installed you can use RTSS to lock the fps to any framerate you want. Generally still 60 or 30 because of the way display's work. ( /2 )

Thanks for the info sir. And I already checked the specs and found that the screen max refresh rate is 60hz

Maybe you could ask your friend to try this game for you on his laptop so that you can see how it runs?

He doesn't own it.

Thanks for the info sir. And I already checked the specs and found that the screen max refresh rate is 60hz

He doesn't own it.

If your friend is close to you regionally speaking then when you visit your friend just log with your steam account on their laptop and download/install 7d2d and give it spin. That way you know exactly what to expect.

Okay, I went to my friend logged in with my steam account on his Laptop, installed 7dtd and started a new randomly generated world (seed="potatotest"), went to the settings in game, choose the ultra graphics preset, took about 1.3 mins to switch and the results was...

Lowest fps: 31

Average fps: 52

Maximum fps: 73

I think that's fine right? Also note that the results differs in cities...

Lowest fps: 28

Average fps: 45

Maximum fps: 62

So, I guess the game is pretty much playable and keep in mind the laptop was on a glass surface with room temp of 20C.

These results show how much more optimization this game still needs and it's also good for reference for those who are thinking about purchasing a new pc like me, so I'm glad that you posted it. It looks like GTX 1060 6 GB is minimum for this game. With current GPU prices though, even this card is pretty expensive.

These results show how much more optimization this game still needs and it's also good for reference for those who are thinking about purchasing a new pc like me, so I'm glad that you posted it. It looks like GTX 1060 6 GB is minimum for this game. With current GPU prices though, even this card is pretty expensive.

But it's way more optimized than other Voxel titles out there, I have asked the exact same question on one of the other games forums (Empyrion Galactic Survival) and they said that this laptop could only give 30-60 with hangs and slowdowns. Even though they run on the same (♥♥♥♥ty) engine and I guess even the same Voxel terrain system.

To be fair, I can play it on a GTX770 2GB card and get a near-stable 60 with medium settings as long as i'm doing it with all the rest of my hardware the same. Lower my CPU and HDD speeds, and the FPS does suffer. (I tested this is a thread somewhere a while back.)

To be fair, I can play it on a GTX770 2GB card and get a near-stable 60 with medium settings as long as i'm doing it with all the rest of my hardware the same. Lower my CPU and HDD speeds, and the FPS does suffer. (I tested this is a thread somewhere a while back.)

Sure it's playable, even on my old potato pc, but not with good graphics settings. You can lower the graphics settings only so much, if you lower it too much it will look ugly and ruin the overall game experience. On the other hand, using ultra graphics is demanding and that's when tests such as this come in handy so that we can see how far you can push the graphics on certain hardware. When we compare these results with other demanding games, generally they are comparable, but there is still room for improvement in case of 7 days to die. I mean, sure it's ultra graphics settings, but still the game obviously ran well for the most part, but as you could see from the lowest FPS which was below 30, such result on this kind of hardware isn't what one would expect.

The only computer I could see it run 7dtd at constant 120 fps even with 100+ zombies on screen at once was one with 4 Intel i7-7820HK processors, 128 gigs of ram 2 GTX 1080 and 2TB SSD and it costed over 160,000 EGP (equivalent of $9000) and I guess no one is ever gonna buy such PC even if he has that much money.

Archived